Raiders express interest in Shaun Johnson, he signs with Sharks

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Would you like to see Shaun Johnson join the Raiders?

Yes, of course
50%
Yes, but we're no chance
40%
No, he's not what we need
10%

Total votes: 42

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders express interest in Kiwi superstar Shaun Johnson

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 27, 2018, 6:43 pm
The spreading the wealth approach has got us one top 8 finish since 2012.
Indeed, we have a long proud history of overpaying everyone.
At least if you're going to overpay, lets make it for someone who's a key position and a star.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

JezTez1984 wrote: November 27, 2018, 3:58 pm
zim wrote: November 27, 2018, 3:55 pm
JezTez1984 wrote: November 27, 2018, 3:53 pm
zim wrote: November 27, 2018, 3:40 pm They denied him a release for 2019 so our front loading shouldn't matter. If anything it means we're in a better position for 2020.
Very highly doubt they've denied him a release, or even if they have initially it wont be the end of the story and he will be released.
Just because the warriors haven't come out and formally granted him a release within 5 minutes does not mean they won't release them and in a situation like this they are going to have little option except letting him walk which is what's undoubtedly going to happen.
It does nothing but harm the club by forcing him to stay and in reality why on earth would they continue to pay a player who doesnt want to be there the 1 million dollars which he is currently earning....

He will be released there is no Ifs or buts about it.
Reported here:
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/27/war ... e-release/
I've seen the article, not a single quote or anything, completely baseless. For the reasons mentioned above it doesnt even matter If they have denied him a release, it will happen.
Large sections of the article and the title on the page have changed since I linked it. It was previously the first paragraph talking about the meeting and denial.

This article also talks about him being denied:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12167098

The denial did happen. As you mention they could release him still.

I'd say they'd be hoping for a swap deal or nothing otherwise 2019 is a lost season for them. Can't see the sharks swapping anyone but maybe Chad Townsend would head back to the warriors.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 27, 2018, 6:13 pm This is why you don't sign bog average players like Sezer on big money just for the sake of having a reasonable profile half. Said it at the time.

Four-Ikin would be on the money except for the fact that Johnson is a much more stable game manager than either Williams or Sezer.
500k is not big halves money.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

kiwi raider wrote: November 27, 2018, 6:54 pm
nacho wrote: November 27, 2018, 6:31 pm Put it this way guys. I'd love a new poll after this one.

If SJ comes to Canberra for $1.1m (speculation) per year over 3 years .... NOW would you take him?

You'd have to assume it'll be at least that.

That means Wighton + Hodgson + Papa + SJ chew up most of our cap.

Players like Rapana, Cotric, Croker, Tapine look wobbly for mine.

In this world we have serious conversations about letting Wighton go and moving Cotric to fullback in 2020.
Do We know What the cap is going to be in 2020 and 2021? For a club like ours it’s probably worth the risk as we haven’t been sniffling any sort of consistent success for years so may as well have a punt
9.6m next year then 9.8m, 9.9m and 10m subsequent years. Its a little misleading though as this total includes the developed player allowance and payments to the RLPA retirement funds.

I would imagine our $200k devleoped player allowance is going to Croker which makes his position more tenable. Gut feel says Hodgo might be on a good bang for buck deal. He didn't test the market for his last contract extension. Paps is on a fair bit of coin as he was reportedly chasing $800k. I'm OK with this provided he keeps the production up.

Wighton currently on not providing the value. Reports are he's on $750k which is up there with the better fullbacks. Production plus recent off field issues are making him more of a cap burden. Sticky's fav though so not going anywhere.

Tapine, Cotric recently signed extensions so wouldn't make sense to let them go so soon.

Comes back to Rapana who's currently looking to extend. Might be an unfortunate casualty if we can't offer what he may be worth.

I'd have thought BJ would be under the blow torch too. He can be a steps forward, 3 steps back type of player. I would prefer more stability on the edges if we can get some flair in the middle that Johnson provides.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: November 27, 2018, 7:13 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 27, 2018, 6:13 pm This is why you don't sign bog average players like Sezer on big money just for the sake of having a reasonable profile half. Said it at the time.

Four-Ikin would be on the money except for the fact that Johnson is a much more stable game manager than either Williams or Sezer.
Could argue its bog average money for a bog avergage half. :)

Reslistically there wouldn't be too many starting halves on lower money. The exceptions would be young players who have recently secured a spot in the first.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

I have chosen to believe the bloke who said his mates boss saw him at GIO.

Now I’ll just sit back and await the disappointment
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

2018 $9.4M $100,000 $13M
2017 $7M $80,000 $7.2M
2016 $6.8M $80,000 $7.1M
2015 $6.55M $80,000 $7.1M
2014 $6.3M $80,000 $7.1M
2013 $5.85M $80,000 $7.1M
2012 $4.4M $55,000

As I look at this, holy monkey it's bloody incredible. Imagine the company you work for doubling their award in 6 years and payroll being over double without an increase in headcount
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Northern Raider wrote: November 27, 2018, 7:20 pm

Reslistically there wouldn't be too many starting halves on lower money. The exceptions would be young players who have recently secured a spot in the first.
Nikorima is apparently on 350k.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

kiwi raider wrote: November 27, 2018, 7:28 pm

He’s on minimum wage at the Broncos... but when he leaves we find out he was actually on $1million.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

greeneyed wrote: November 27, 2018, 7:29 pm
kiwi raider wrote: November 27, 2018, 7:28 pm

He’s on minimum wage at the Broncos... but when he leaves we find out he was actually on $1million.
Oh yea I forgot the Broncos rule, thanks for the clarification GE! :lol:
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Northern Raider wrote: November 27, 2018, 7:16 pm
kiwi raider wrote: November 27, 2018, 6:54 pm
nacho wrote: November 27, 2018, 6:31 pm Put it this way guys. I'd love a new poll after this one.

If SJ comes to Canberra for $1.1m (speculation) per year over 3 years .... NOW would you take him?

You'd have to assume it'll be at least that.

That means Wighton + Hodgson + Papa + SJ chew up most of our cap.

Players like Rapana, Cotric, Croker, Tapine look wobbly for mine.

In this world we have serious conversations about letting Wighton go and moving Cotric to fullback in 2020.
Do We know What the cap is going to be in 2020 and 2021? For a club like ours it’s probably worth the risk as we haven’t been sniffling any sort of consistent success for years so may as well have a punt
9.6m next year then 9.8m, 9.9m and 10m subsequent years. Its a little misleading though as this total includes the developed player allowance and payments to the RLPA retirement funds.

I would imagine our $200k devleoped player allowance is going to Croker which makes his position more tenable. Gut feel says Hodgo might be on a good bang for buck deal. He didn't test the market for his last contract extension. Paps is on a fair bit of coin as he was reportedly chasing $800k. I'm OK with this provided he keeps the production up.

Wighton currently on not providing the value. Reports are he's on $750k which is up there with the better fullbacks. Production plus recent off field issues are making him more of a cap burden. Sticky's fav though so not going anywhere.

Tapine, Cotric recently signed extensions so wouldn't make sense to let them go so soon.

Comes back to Rapana who's currently looking to extend. Might be an unfortunate casualty if we can't offer what he may be worth.

I'd have thought BJ would be under the blow torch too. He can be a steps forward, 3 steps back type of player. I would prefer more stability on the edges if we can get some flair in the middle that Johnson provides.
Yea I like BJ but I couldn’t argue with shifting him on and moving Cotric to centre to get a big upgrade to our halves.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

The warriors have confirmed at a members forum/ Q&A session that they were holding tonight that they will make a decision if they will release Johnson within the next 24hrs, that’s a quick turnaround, they must have something well advanced in the pipeline to replace him.
I reckon he’ll be released tomorrow
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Woah, that's pretty interesting.
I doubt it means anything for us but for tonight we can at least have some hope
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Pigman wrote: November 27, 2018, 7:43 pm Woah, that's pretty interesting.
Yea, i’d Be putting good money on him signing with the sharks with it happening this quickly and them suddenly having a whole heap of salary cap space right at the right time with Holmes upping and leaving, but who knows maybe we do have all that coin we apparently offered to Austin, Boyd and Paulo sitting there waiting to be spent? Doubt it but not impossible
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hope springs eternal, KR.
But yeah he hates Canberra, and there is no real reason for a guy like him, who has a market elsewhere to come to Canberra.

Im higher on him as a footballer than most, he's got a skill set very few in our code have and would instantly be one of the best pure talents the club has had in the last 10 years, but i dont think he's some silver bullet either. It's not like with him we suddenly become a contender.

Will be interesting to see how he goes at the Sharks
Last edited by Botman on November 27, 2018, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

nacho wrote: November 27, 2018, 5:35 pm
JezTez1984 wrote: November 27, 2018, 5:25 pm
nacho wrote: November 27, 2018, 5:23 pm A text is doing the rounds "$500k for SJ next year, $1.5m per the follow 2 yrs"
Please post a link or source...

Seriously though, a text doing the rounds where? Between who?
My brother in law, he used to play first grade for the Eels in the 80s. I would have still ignored it actually but I just saw someone post the same text on another forum.

All that said though, rumours are what the NRL is built on, it's half the fun.
What forum mate?
BVRaider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by BVRaider »

kiwi raider wrote: November 27, 2018, 7:50 pm
Yea, i’d Be putting good money on him signing with the sharks with it happening this quickly and them suddenly having a whole heap of salary cap space right at the right time with Holmes upping and leaving, but who knows maybe we do have all that coin we apparently offered to Austin, Boyd and Paulo sitting there waiting to be spent? Doubt it but not impossible
Yeah I hate to agree but that's what my head is saying. I would love to be wrong but with Holmes leaving and Johnson requesting an immediate release less than a week after it seems clear that he's going to Cronulla unfortunately.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BVRaider wrote: November 27, 2018, 7:57 pm
kiwi raider wrote: November 27, 2018, 7:50 pm
Yeah I hate to agree but that's what my head is saying. I would love to be wrong but with Holmes leaving and Johnson requesting an immediate release less than a week after it seems clear that he's going to Cronulla unfortunately.
It does add up. Allows Sharks to shift Moylan to fullback again. They would be terrified at thought of being dependent on Dugan back there.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I feel sorry for anyone who thinks we are signing Johnson... He will be signing with the Sharks asap I'm tipping
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I really don’t know how the Sharks do it. They release a top player and the replace them with a top drawer player. We’ve released three top players, signed one and a very good up and comer. If we can’t afford Johnson, there’s something seriously wrong with salary cap management. Seriously wrong.

But meanwhile we continue to sign fringe forwards.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raiders666 wrote: November 27, 2018, 8:01 pm I feel sorry for anyone who thinks we are signing Johnson... He will be signing with the Sharks asap I'm tipping
You feel sorry for nobody then. I doubt there is one person here who thinks we are signing him. Plenty living in hope bit that's the limit.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: November 27, 2018, 8:02 pm I really don’t know how the Sharks do it. They release a top player and the replace them with a top drawer player. We’ve released three top players, signed one and a very good up and comer. If we can’t afford Johnson, there’s something seriously wrong with salary cap management. Seriously wrong.
Dodgy 3rd party deals. Same as many others. Comes back on our management who simply aren't as good at cheating as others. Current situation in the NRL is like cycling through the Lance Armstrong era. If your not on the gear you may as well not show up.
Last edited by Northern Raider on November 27, 2018, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Northern Raider wrote: November 27, 2018, 8:03 pm
Raiders666 wrote: November 27, 2018, 8:01 pm I feel sorry for anyone who thinks we are signing Johnson... He will be signing with the Sharks asap I'm tipping
You feel sorry for nobody then. I doubt there is one person here who thinks we are signing him. Plenty living in hope bit that's the limit.
Are you sure? The guy that's had a billion posts in the last couple of weeks???
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

He can at least kick a field goal, so there is some sort of bullet there

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Is there a source that he's on 500k? If so not so bad, find that very hard to believe though given the fact we're still apparently up against the cap.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Tapine

Post by JezTez1984 »

All this talk of him signing with the sharks is hilarious. Do you all seriously think that in the 7 days since Holmes announce he's leaving and some 6-8 hours since johnson has requested a release he has magically gone and agreed to join cronulla???? Yeah **** right 🤣🤣 what a load of ****. Would also like to know how Holmes frees up 1 mil of cap space, he is a **** winger.....
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Not as hilarious as the talk about him signing with the Raiders...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

JezTez1984 wrote: November 27, 2018, 8:15 pm All this talk of him signing with the sharks is hilarious. Do you all seriously think that in the 7 days since Holmes announce he's leaving and some 6-8 hours since johnson has requested a release he has magically gone and agreed to join cronulla???? Yeah **** right 🤣🤣 what a load of ****. Would also like to know how Holmes frees up 1 mil of cap space, he is a **** winger.....
Nobody believes all this has happened in 7 days....for either player.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm honestly salivating at the prospect of Ricky working with SJ.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: November 27, 2018, 8:25 pm I'm honestly salivating at the prospect of Ricky working with SJ.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Sticky can do amazing things with talented halves. ;)
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Tapine

Post by JezTez1984 »

Northern Raider wrote: November 27, 2018, 8:25 pm
JezTez1984 wrote: November 27, 2018, 8:15 pm All this talk of him signing with the sharks is hilarious. Do you all seriously think that in the 7 days since Holmes announce he's leaving and some 6-8 hours since johnson has requested a release he has magically gone and agreed to join cronulla???? Yeah **** right 🤣🤣 what a load of ****. Would also like to know how Holmes frees up 1 mil of cap space, he is a **** winger.....
Nobody believes all this has happened in 7 days....for either player.
The sharks are pretty damn certain that Holmes was an unexpected departure.... meaning they would of had no money to spend on johnson.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

I think we have a chance at signing him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

We can't afford him even if he didn't hate Canberra... Our salary cap troubles didn't just disappear. A month ago we had no money for TPJ what's changed all of a sudden? I can't honestly think of one good reason why he would move to Canberra.. Doesn't his misses play pro netball? It ain't happening
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

It is if that’s what we re-signed Sezer for.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

I think we have a chance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?