Raiders express interest in Shaun Johnson, he signs with Sharks

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Would you like to see Shaun Johnson join the Raiders?

Yes, of course
50%
Yes, but we're no chance
40%
No, he's not what we need
10%

Total votes: 42

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Re: Canberra Raiders express interest in Kiwi superstar Shaun Johnson

Post by LastRaider »

starry91 wrote:
Manchild wrote: October 31, 2018, 7:37 pm Big question. Would you lose Rapana for SJ
Id rather lose wighton and put rapana at the back..
Agree.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

greeneyed wrote:I'd love to see it happen... but I don't believe the club has the capability or ruthlessness to pull off the deal to be honest. If they do... hats off. Nor do I believe Shaun Johnson would see Canberra as a desirable location, given what he's said about the city in the past. Who knows what his partner would think... given she is a top net baller... and I don't believe we have a team.
At least we have the climate going for us. Similar weather to Auckland in Canberra

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Coastalraider wrote:
-PJ- wrote: November 1, 2018, 10:10 am 2nd page.

Tyres deflated..

Let's move on to the next rumour.
What a glorious 24 hours....

It was such a nice change to at least be mentioned in the conversation of a quality half...
It was a glorious 2 minutes for me, just seeing this thread and reading up! Sigh.

Back to the same old story, **** salary cap and **** management

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders really need to look at a way of making this happen. This is a position of extremely high need for us to become a contender again. If players need to be offloaded or traded then so be it. Other than Hodgo every player should be fair game. There is nobody else irreplaceable on our roster.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Raiders_Pat wrote: November 1, 2018, 4:40 pm
greeneyed wrote: November 1, 2018, 4:21 pm Canberra Raiders in halves market, but unlikely to be New Zealand Warriors Shaun Johnson

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50dbc.html
"But Raiders chief executive Don Furner confirmed they were in the market for halves following Ata Hingano's shoulder reconstruction this week."

Does this mean we weren't in the market for halves prior to Hingano's injury? If so - that's a joke. If we were honestly planning to go in to 2019 with Sezer and either Williams or Hingano as our first choice halves then we are kidding ourselves.
We have been in the halves market for a while before HIngano's injury. Ryley Jacks was a target we just missed out on. There was mention of him verbally agreeing to come before pulling out.
Seems he'd rather play reserve grade on the gold coast than likely first grade for the raiders.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

I think we’re playing for Gutherson...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Sid wrote: October 31, 2018, 7:36 pm Imagine having Croker, Sezer, Johnson and Williams as your goal kicking depth
And Johnson can kick a field goal or two also, as demonstrated early this season against us
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Imagine if Todd Carney wasn't such a crumpet.

He'd be our starting half right now.

In the meantime we are so light on the coach may have to play.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Canberra Raiders express interest in Kiwi superstar Shaun Johnson

Post by LastRaider »

I just can’t believe we haven’t started shifting players yet. Players should have already been moved on to accommodate TPJ. Like seriously, when do we ever get a player of that caliber come to us wanting to play! This board infuriates me.

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

TPJ would rather be Darius' step brother though
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

LastRaider wrote: November 2, 2018, 7:41 am I just can’t believe we haven’t started shifting players yet. Players should have already been moved on to accommodate TPJ. Like seriously, when do we ever get a player of that caliber come to us wanting to play! This board infuriates me.

You can’t shift the players that need to be shifted to do it though. If we’re overpaying some chumps (no doubt we are given the Baptiste fiasco) no club will want them at any more than half price.

And the thing that loyal fans don’t want to hear is that it’s probably the most popular and loyal players that skew our salary cap in the wrong direction.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

I find it so difficult to rationalise how our cap is distributed to our playing group.

If there was some sort of metric of salary compared to performance for key players... Raiders would have to be heavily on one side of the spectrum.

I made a graph.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How did you decide the plot points Paccy?!
Leeroy Jenkins
Brett Mullins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

pacman wrote: November 2, 2018, 8:50 am I made a graph.

It's about time someone used facts around here :clap:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

pacman wrote: November 2, 2018, 8:50 am I find it so difficult to rationalise how our cap is distributed to our playing group.

If there was some sort of metric of salary compared to performance for key players... Raiders would have to be heavily on one side of the spectrum.

I made a graph.

This is definately the best graph I've ever seen.
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Post by Nadruku »

Just had a thought feel free to discuss but possibly just possibly could we get Johnson next year if Warriors are paying some of the contract then starting from 2020 we give him a bumper contract because apparently we will have space in the cap by then??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

All well and good to suggest that... but so many cards would have to fall our way for that to happen. 1. Warriors would have to have a replacement signed and ready to go. 2. Warriors would have to be willing to pay a large chunk of his contract and 3. Probably the biggest point to make he would actually want to come to us.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
MS_1302
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mitch Cornish

Post by MS_1302 »

Gee this hurts https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50dbl.html

What could have been...
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

The salary cap is working exactly as it is designed and policed to do, force lesser clubs to release players for high profile clubs to snap up and prevent marquee players going to clubs that the TV stations dont want to cover. The nightmare scenario for the NRL and TV stations and Daily Tele would be for a club like Cbr gathering up a squad like the one they did in the late 80s.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

MS_1302 wrote: November 2, 2018, 12:07 pm Gee this hurts https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50dbl.html

What could have been...
So you've been in a 48hr coma.

Welcome back mate.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Tapine

Post by JezTez1984 »

Hi All,
I am a long time lurker but have decided to sign up to jump in on this exciting subject...

First of all I think it would be a masterstroke to sign Johnson, he would fit into our squad perfectly. He would almost instantly change us from " almost good enough" to premiership contenders. With his freakish skills, game management and of course his field goals :roflmao

Imagine a backline consisting of:

1. Wighton
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Johnson
7. Sezer

It Would be something to drool over, they would set the competition alight. A halves pairing of Sezer and Johnson has truckloads of potential and could work together brilliantly with sezer playing calm, cool and collected while SJ is given a license to roam and tear opposition defences to ribbons through an edge consisting of Johnson, Tapine/Whitehead, Leilua and Rapana.

I also have no doubt we have the cash there to get this done, if not sign someone of a similar quality. I believe the club has been claiming we have no cash available but in the background have really been sitting on a mini war chest waiting for the right player to become available. Think about it, we lost Paulo, Boyd and Austin, all of which would of been on a minimum of 500k. That opens up a causal 1.5 million +.

I think the direction the Club took with allowing Paulo and Boyd to leave is 100% the right call, by all reports they signed with their respective clubs for around 700k a year... absolute madness for two underperforming, inconsistent forwards who only punch out 40 odd minutes per game each. If we re-signed Paulo and Boyd on 700k each that is 1.4 million a year, with that money you can sign any player in the whole competition.

I also think the signings of the two poms will be huge additions to the squad. Bateman in particular is going to be a huge hit. He is already a England rep and came within a bees dick of winning the man of steel in the super league and is now also in the running for the golden boot. All before he has even played an nrl game, I predict Bateman will go on to huge heights and will be spoken about in the same breathe as Hodgson and Whitehead in no time.

Sutton comes across as a big, aggressive, hit man style forward... which could be exactly what this team needs. Has the potential to become a poor man's Fifita and could make a huge impact for us.

Finally, the latest news on the merry go round front is that the roosters are going to go all out for Luke Brooks as Cronk's replacement. That is huge news for us if true, that means our biggest competition for SJ's signature is out of the running and potentially makes us front runners for his signature.
:woot:
Make it happen Don, Ricky and Co!!!
EVH
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by EVH »

I agree, i don't believe we have no money, but why would we keep that on the down low is beyond me...
Ah, might as well jump (Jump!) Might as well jump Go ahead an' jump (jump!) Go ahead and jump Ow oh, hey you! Who said that?
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

JezTez1984 wrote: November 2, 2018, 1:27 pm Hi All,
I am a long time lurker but have decided to sign up to jump in on this exciting subject...

First of all I think it would be a masterstroke to sign Johnson, he would fit into our squad perfectly. He would almost instantly change us from " almost good enough" to premiership contenders. With his freakish skills, game management and of course his field goals :roflmao

Imagine a backline consisting of:

1. Wighton
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Johnson
7. Sezer

It Would be something to drool over, they would set the competition alight. A halves pairing of Sezer and Johnson has truckloads of potential and could work together brilliantly with sezer playing calm, cool and collected while SJ is given a license to roam and tear opposition defences to ribbons through an edge consisting of Johnson, Tapine/Whitehead, Leilua and Rapana.

I also have no doubt we have the cash there to get this done, if not sign someone of a similar quality. I believe the club has been claiming we have no cash available but in the background have really been sitting on a mini war chest waiting for the right player to become available. Think about it, we lost Paulo, Boyd and Austin, all of which would of been on a minimum of 500k. That opens up a causal 1.5 million +.

I think the direction the Club took with allowing Paulo and Boyd to leave is 100% the right call, by all reports they signed with their respective clubs for around 700k a year... absolute madness for two underperforming, inconsistent forwards who only punch out 40 odd minutes per game each. If we re-signed Paulo and Boyd on 700k each that is 1.4 million a year, with that money you can sign any player in the whole competition.

I also think the signings of the two poms will be huge additions to the squad. Bateman in particular is going to be a huge hit. He is already a England rep and came within a bees dick of winning the man of steel in the super league and is now also in the running for the golden boot. All before he has even played an nrl game, I predict Bateman will go on to huge heights and will be spoken about in the same breathe as Hodgson and Whitehead in no time.

Sutton comes across as a big, aggressive, hit man style forward... which could be exactly what this team needs. Has the potential to become a poor man's Fifita and could make a huge impact for us.

Finally, the latest news on the merry go round front is that the roosters are going to go all out for Luke Brooks as Cronk's replacement. That is huge news for us if true, that means our biggest competition for SJ's signature is out of the running and potentially makes us front runners for his signature.
:woot:
Make it happen Don, Ricky and Co!!!
Spot on, people take what don and co say as bible when they say we are not interested in this and that player, they just don't want it public because we will have other teams coming over the top or get used as leverage too often.

we have money, i have no doubt about it, just being smart and using it on players that will help win, unfortunately there is none available until the johnson rumour came about, i believe he will stay a warrior but.
raider 4 life
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

These are the quotes from Furner

“Obviously when you get asked are you interested in quality players you always say yes because we would be interested in a quality player, but it’s way too early to speculate about,” Raiders chief executive Don Furner said.

Furner also confirmed that the club will look to sign Kiwis winger Jordan Rapana after he returns from international duty in England, who is their main target.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I think we have some money too... Hopefully it’s spent on players that can improve our chances of winning games... not depth squad fillers

Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Imagine all the creative signs we could come up with if we had both Johnson and BJ in our team :P
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

Lucky wrote: November 2, 2018, 7:37 pm Imagine all the creative signs we could come up with if we had both Johnson and BJ in our team :P
Johns-on for a BJ
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

So far, a few posters have already suggested that we should lure this Johnson with BJ money.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Who here would seriously not consider giving a BJ for a good Johnson?

I’m mean really....
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I keep switching bewteeen extremes here.

Part of me can’t help but feel this isn’t as bad as it looks on the surface and that the club intentionally let Austin, Boyd and Paulo go to reduce the size of the pack, improve defence and create space in the cap. That they knew in the preseason that Wighton would be ruled out of 2020 once he went to court and footage was released and factored that in. And that they knew that Johnson or someone similar would be available, possibly through MacFadden, and they’d not only positioned themselves to have the cash but had started the negotiations. All this while playing the media with their misleading statements.

And the rest of me thinks it’s as bad as it looks on the surface.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There is no way Jack Wighton will not play in 2019, IMO.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Dusty wrote:I think we have some money too... Hopefully it’s spent on players that can improve our chances of winning games... not depth squad fillers

If we had money we would have signed TPJ, but we didn’t. The well is dry until 2020

JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku

Post by JezTez1984 »

LastRaider wrote: November 3, 2018, 7:02 am
Dusty wrote:I think we have some money too... Hopefully it’s spent on players that can improve our chances of winning games... not depth squad fillers

If we had money we would have signed TPJ, but we didn’t. The well is dry until 2020

If that's the case how would we be any possibility of getting johnson here for 2019 as reported??
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There seem to be conflicting reports...
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Mulholland said we were tapped out for 2019 in the Canberra Times didn't he? I don't see why he would tell fibs in a local paper, it would serve no purpose.

Unless we find a Woods type situation where someone else is paying I can't see any more regular NRL players signed for next year.