Raiders express interest in Shaun Johnson, he signs with Sharks

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Would you like to see Shaun Johnson join the Raiders?

Yes, of course
50%
Yes, but we're no chance
40%
No, he's not what we need
10%

Total votes: 42

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Canberra Raiders express interest in Kiwi superstar Shaun Johnson

Post by -PJ- »

2nd page.

Tyres deflated..

Let's move on to the next rumour.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

edwahu wrote: November 1, 2018, 10:00 am Our inability to compete on the player market is almost the biggest issue we face, second only to the clubs unaccountable ownership structure. Getting a deal like this done would be huge and is more important than any risks as far as on field results.
Agree 100%. Recognising that we're at a huge disadvantage in the player market due to the complete incompetence of the NRL to tighten the 3rd party deals aspect of salary cap, it is absolutely baffling that we're a club maxed out on our cap. Clubs with the halves options that we have should be ready to pounce on opportunities like this, particularly when you consider what we offered Blake Austin in early 2018. If our Board had any teeth whatsoever (see the biggest issue we face!) they should be dragging the coach, CEO and Mullholland in with a massive please explain at how we've managed to pay overs so badly that we're one Sezer hamstring away from starting 2019 with a halves combo of Sam Williams and Elliott Whitehead.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Bay 67 wrote: November 1, 2018, 10:09 am
greeneyed wrote: November 1, 2018, 9:53 am But Hingano won’t miss 12 matches.
Good point... although the chances of the 6 matches becoming 12 would be high...
You'd hope they count trials, so it could be 10 already. It doesn't matter much though, the pro-rata of Hinganos contract would barely cover Johnsons plane tickets.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Hingano already missed some matches from when he was injured for Tonga earlier in the year too.. that won't count will it..
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: November 1, 2018, 10:10 am 2nd page.

Tyres deflated..

What a glorious 24 hours....

It was such a nice change to at least be mentioned in the conversation of a quality half...
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Coastalraider wrote: November 1, 2018, 11:08 am

Tyres deflated..

It was such a nice change to at least be mentioned in the conversation of a quality half...
Lol, I was going to say that as well. At least we were actually linked to a big name NRL player for the first time in years.

Still can't believe the club thinks we are ok in the halves Department. As someone else said, we even more screwed if Sezer goes down next year.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

SeeBee101 wrote: November 1, 2018, 11:41 am
Coastalraider wrote: November 1, 2018, 11:08 am

Tyres deflated..

Lol, I was going to say that as well. At least we were actually linked to a big name NRL player for the first time in years.

Still can't believe the club thinks we are ok in the halves Department. As someone else said, we even more screwed if Sezer goes down next year.
As the last few years have shown, we are kinda screwed if we are relying on Sezer to start with...
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Agree there Coastalraider, my comment was more for effect that we're that close to looking down the barrel of Whitehead in the halves.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
MS_1302
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mitch Cornish

Post by MS_1302 »

greeneyed wrote: November 1, 2018, 9:58 am Canberra Raiders pour cold water on reported link to Shaun Johnson

NRL.com understands Canberra are not in a position salary cap-wise to consider a player with the price tag that the talented halfback carries.

Raiders officials say they've been told that not only do the Warriors want him to stay but Johnson doesn't want to leave when his contract expires at the end of next season.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/01/can ... ne-return/
HAHAHAHAHA that was good while it lasted; just get Norman done already and be realistic Donnny
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

"He’s a Golden Boot winner": Jarrod Croker backs Raiders’ Shaun Johnson chase

CANBERRA captain Jarrod Croker can see Shaun Johnson as the solution to the NRL club’s halves deficiency after reports emerged the Raiders were interested in the Kiwis No.7.

“He’s a Golden Boot winner, he would be handy at any club,” Croker said on the Raiders’ first day back at pre-season training. “We sort of only have the two halves here at the moment with Ata going down, so any depth is good depth. That’s (the Warriors) decision (to let him look around), but it is a little bit surprising, he has been there so long. But it’s a crazy game isn’t it?”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c6d0218e11

Canberra Raiders linked with a move to signing unwanted Warriors half Shaun Johson: report: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/canbe ... 1020086145

VIDEO: Raiders address Johnson speculation: Canberra Raiders duo Jarrod Croker and Sia Soliola admit Shaun Johnson would be a good fit in the nation's capital, with reports suggesting the club are preparing to make a move for the Warriors halfback: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/01/rai ... eculation/
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

It sure is a crazy game, Jarrod. It sure is.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Tyres deflated..

Post is actually the 1st of the 3rd page... rumour rolls on. :lol:
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Sid wrote: October 31, 2018, 7:36 pm Imagine having Croker, Sezer, Johnson and Williams as your goal kicking depth
Well Crokers position as goal kicker would be under threat. Both Sezer and Williams have shown they can kick conversions as good as anyone. I even think Sezers % is better than Crokers.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

RedRaider wrote: October 31, 2018, 8:05 pm I hope we do 'due diligence' on his fitness. He is tough and plays with injury but he is not getting any younger. 8 seasons with the Warriors for a 46% win percentage which was bumped up in 2018. I say again, we can score tries. We were second top try scoring side in the NRL in 2018. It is our defence which is our huge weakness. 10th in defence and 10th on the ladder. It is not some freakish co-incidence. Again I will say, over the past decade the sides which have won the comp are Top 5 (Mostly Top 4) defensive sides. The successful sides know it and focus on it.

We however go with flashy plays for the highlights reel when it is the grunt defence work which brings the biggest rewards. The fact that Sticky said it was our focus last pre-season and we finished with the 10th worst means he is all talk. We need to be defensively strong and Sticky pays it lip service. His selections of unfit, immobile center third players was demonstration enough that his thinking has not moved with the game. He came as a Coaching saviour and turned into a hand brake.
To be fair I think we lost 3 of the most spineless defenders in the NRL when Austin, Boyd and Paulo left.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Woodgers wrote: November 1, 2018, 11:57 am Agree there Coastalraider, my comment was more for effect that we're that close to looking down the barrel of Whitehead in the halves.
Maybe we can merge this thread it the 'Im tired and worn down' thread!
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

His Mrs being a netballer would be the biggest obstacle to overcome.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Matt wrote: November 1, 2018, 12:36 pm

Tyres deflated..

Post is actually the 1st of the 3rd page... rumour rolls on. :lol:
But our tyres were deflated on page 2.

The fact the post was the first on page 3 is out of my control.. :)
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

decent netball facilities at Dickson
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

The views and comments on threads like this one, as well as the ever-popular Speculation thread, just show how desperate we all are for the club we love to become more competitive and succeed.

However, it doesn’t matter which players we put in the jerseys... Ricky Stuart still remains the coach, and until he is gone we won’t see any improvement. The lack of professionalism in his own coaching methods and the systems he oversees is overwhelming. The man’s staggering amount of arrogant blind spots is too much for individual player performance to overcome on a season-long basis.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

So, lets get this straight, Donny comes out and denies we are after him.

Then a couple hours later another article is released on NRL.com with two of our most senior players discussing how good a player Johnson is and how he would compliment the team...

What...is...happening....?!?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’m not sure Don denied it... an unnamed person apparently did.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

It’d be nice if our club showed some guys/fight and really had a go.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

I don't think there were direct quotes in either of the first 2 articles? Just 'Raiders Officials'

The Croker, Soliola one is at least a direct quote, but without having read or watched that one I don't know what they were asked exactly.

CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

We offered Boyd and Paulo 1m as a combo, we have about 600k from Austin leaving I would guess. Surely we could have a go.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No direct quotes in the Ritchie or McDonald articles. Croker and Soliola were basically saying... this morning was the first we've heard of it and didn't really know what was happening if anything. I don't think either were really expecting anything to come of it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders in halves market, but unlikely to be New Zealand Warriors Shaun Johnson

The Canberra Raiders are in the market for another half, but it's unlikely to be New Zealand playmaker Shaun Johnson. It is believed the Raiders have not spoken to Johnson's managment, and it's unlikely they could fit him into the 2019 salary cap, though 2020 would be a possibility. The quality of the player they can land could depend on whether the NRL allows the Green Machine to take advantage of the Josh Hodgson rule.

"Obviously when you get asked are you interested in quality players you always say yes because we would be interested in a quality player, but it's way too early to speculate about," Don Furner said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50dbc.html
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: November 1, 2018, 4:21 pm Canberra Raiders in halves market, but unlikely to be New Zealand Warriors Shaun Johnson

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50dbc.html
"But Raiders chief executive Don Furner confirmed they were in the market for halves following Ata Hingano's shoulder reconstruction this week."

Does this mean we weren't in the market for halves prior to Hingano's injury? If so - that's a joke. If we were honestly planning to go in to 2019 with Sezer and either Williams or Hingano as our first choice halves then we are kidding ourselves.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Other halves off contract at the end of 2019 include Corey Norman, Mitchell Moses, Te Maire Martin, Clint Gutherson, Luke Brooks and Ryley Jacks.

that's grim

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sid wrote: November 1, 2018, 4:42 pm Other halves off contract at the end of 2019 include Corey Norman, Mitchell Moses, Te Maire Martin, Clint Gutherson, Luke Brooks and Ryley Jacks.

that's grim
Brooks might learn to tackle, I don't think he is as physically incapable as Williams.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

We’ve been linked to Norman a fair bit with the talk being that we(and other clubs) weren’t prepared to pay what Parra wanted to get a release. I wonder if we got 50-100k extra in salary cap relief from the Hingano injury if that would be enough to get it over the line?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I'd take Gutherson.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

I honestly would rather we just plug the hole up defensively.

We don't have a problem scoring points.
WorkChoice
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

LP Raider wrote: November 1, 2018, 6:22 pm I honestly would rather we just plug the hole up defensively.

We don't have a problem scoring points.
I see your point and while points aren’t a problem we do definitely have a problem with game management, getting repeat sets, kicking drop goals, building pressure and closing out tight games, all things a quality half should bring
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Woodgers wrote: November 1, 2018, 10:23 am
edwahu wrote: November 1, 2018, 10:00 am Our inability to compete on the player market is almost the biggest issue we face, second only to the clubs unaccountable ownership structure. Getting a deal like this done would be huge and is more important than any risks as far as on field results.
Agree 100%. Recognising that we're at a huge disadvantage in the player market due to the complete incompetence of the NRL to tighten the 3rd party deals aspect of salary cap, it is absolutely baffling that we're a club maxed out on our cap. Clubs with the halves options that we have should be ready to pounce on opportunities like this, particularly when you consider what we offered Blake Austin in early 2018. If our Board had any teeth whatsoever (see the biggest issue we face!) they should be dragging the coach, CEO and Mullholland in with a massive please explain at how we've managed to pay overs so badly that we're one Sezer hamstring away from starting 2019 with a halves combo of Sam Williams and Elliott Whitehead.
PREACH.
We no doubt are disadvantage geographically in the player market. I've said for a long time this club will never be a power house because it has to operate in undesirable location for it's employment base. Even with the BEST management in the game, short of stumbling onto a Smith-Slater-Cronk crop of kids (and even then we'd lose them to the Broncos and Roosters) we can never be a yearly powerhouse the way other big market clubs are

But that can not excuse the situation the club is in right now. How the **** do we lose Austin, Paulo and Boyd and cant even recruit to replace them? There is some conjecture about who is ultimately responsible for this, but i am beyond giving a ****... Stuart, Mulholland and Furner should all be sacked if we're not a contender in 2019... which given they're all on borrowed time (admittedly DFJ more than others) is more than fair.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'd suggest Corey Norman would be a decent chance of coming here.

Shaun Johnson...zero, nadda, zip, nil, not happening.