Raiders express interest in Shaun Johnson, he signs with Sharks

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Would you like to see Shaun Johnson join the Raiders?

Yes, of course
50%
Yes, but we're no chance
40%
No, he's not what we need
10%

Total votes: 42

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders express interest in Kiwi superstar Shaun Johnson

Post by RedRaider »

I hope we do 'due diligence' on his fitness. He is tough and plays with injury but he is not getting any younger. 8 seasons with the Warriors for a 46% win percentage which was bumped up in 2018. I say again, we can score tries. We were second top try scoring side in the NRL in 2018. It is our defence which is our huge weakness. 10th in defence and 10th on the ladder. It is not some freakish co-incidence. Again I will say, over the past decade the sides which have won the comp are Top 5 (Mostly Top 4) defensive sides. The successful sides know it and focus on it.

We however go with flashy plays for the highlights reel when it is the grunt defence work which brings the biggest rewards. The fact that Sticky said it was our focus last pre-season and we finished with the 10th worst means he is all talk. We need to be defensively strong and Sticky pays it lip service. His selections of unfit, immobile center third players was demonstration enough that his thinking has not moved with the game. He came as a Coaching saviour and turned into a hand brake.
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Post by Nadruku »

Johnson in our backline with our edge forwards would be amazing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Brew wrote:Guys it’s the same old story, article comes out. Bigger club comes in and signs the player.
We are not getting him. You can have Rapana, Tapine and McFadden but that won’t mean a thing when it all comes to money.
I’m not a party pooper, I’m just over it.
I would honestly like us to do something stupid like make him the highest paid player in the game just so we buck the trend but it won’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
#inRickywetrust

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
starry91
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: papali

Post by starry91 »

Manchild wrote: October 31, 2018, 7:37 pm Big question. Would you lose Rapana for SJ
Id rather lose wighton and put rapana at the back..
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

How good would it be if we got him without losing any of our top 17 ?!?!

Huge signing if it comes off

I like to dream

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

gergreg wrote:
Brew wrote:Guys it’s the same old story, article comes out. Bigger club comes in and signs the player.
We are not getting him. You can have Rapana, Tapine and McFadden but that won’t mean a thing when it all comes to money.
I’m not a party pooper, I’m just over it.
I would honestly like us to do something stupid like make him the highest paid player in the game just so we buck the trend but it won’t happen.

#inRickywetrust

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
It won’t matter who is coach, they still won’t come.

In Ricky We Trust
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: October 31, 2018, 7:50 pm Bay53... What is your position on this one again?! I'm struggling to get it!
My position is I would love it to happen. However I think it probably won’t happen.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

RedRaider wrote: October 31, 2018, 8:05 pm I hope we do 'due diligence' on his fitness. He is tough and plays with injury but he is not getting any younger. 8 seasons with the Warriors for a 46% win percentage which was bumped up in 2018. I say again, we can score tries. We were second top try scoring side in the NRL in 2018. It is our defence which is our huge weakness. 10th in defence and 10th on the ladder. It is not some freakish co-incidence. Again I will say, over the past decade the sides which have won the comp are Top 5 (Mostly Top 4) defensive sides. The successful sides know it and focus on it.

We however go with flashy plays for the highlights reel when it is the grunt defence work which brings the biggest rewards. The fact that Sticky said it was our focus last pre-season and we finished with the 10th worst means he is all talk. We need to be defensively strong and Sticky pays it lip service. His selections of unfit, immobile center third players was demonstration enough that his thinking has not moved with the game. He came as a Coaching saviour and turned into a hand brake.
Nah. Sign Shaun Johnson, score 50 points every week and hope the opposition don’t score 51!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'd love to see it happen... but I don't believe the club has the capability or ruthlessness to pull off the deal to be honest. If they do... hats off. Nor do I believe Shaun Johnson would see Canberra as a desirable location, given what he's said about the city in the past. Who knows what his partner would think... given she is a top net baller... and I don't believe we have a team.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

If we lie to him about the conversion rate between AU and NZ $$ we are a chance
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

There is more chance of me landing a gig as a GH Admin than there is of us landing Shaun Johnson.

Fair dinkum. As if any self respecting player with in depth knowledge of the NRL would come to the club coached by Ricky Stuart.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Gotta laugh at that one!
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

He is exactly the player we should be chasing hard. Whether we land him or not is kinda irrelevant in my opinion. I'm just pleased the club recognises what we need and is taking steps to address this. Comments that he isn't what we need are absurd. The raiders finished 1st in the comp if games finished after 60 mins. We need an elite half who can kick field goals and close out games. I appreciate that he won't turn the dial in defence but I guess that is where having more mobile forwards and less Blake Austins comes in.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Another decent half for Ricky to dumb down
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

How many pages do we reckon this will go before our tyres are deflated ?

Anyway I'm ringing Shaun...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Captain Punish wrote:There is more chance of me landing a gig as a GH Admin than there is of us landing Shaun Johnson.

Fair dinkum. As if any self respecting player with in depth knowledge of the NRL would come to the club coached by Ricky Stuart.

Yep cause they were coming here in droves when Elliot, Henry and Furner were coach.

Our recruiting has been the best it has in years compared to the years where Howell, Drew etc were our major signings

In Ricky We Trust
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

I for one look forward to seeing him sign with the roosters. Who will then have to release their water boys to get themselves back under the salary cap

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Bay53 wrote:
greeneyed wrote: October 31, 2018, 7:50 pm Bay53... What is your position on this one again?! I'm struggling to get it!
My position is I would love it to happen. However I think it probably won’t happen.
Me too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Brew wrote:
Captain Punish wrote:There is more chance of me landing a gig as a GH Admin than there is of us landing Shaun Johnson.

Yep cause they were coming here in droves when Elliot, Henry and Furner were coach.

Our recruiting has been the best it has in years compared to the years where Howell, Drew etc were our major signings

Ahhh yes. The old "but far less experienced coaches with a far less talented team did worse and couldn't recruit" defence.

Love that one. Just shows how ridiculously biased people's perceptions are to the Old Boy's Scheme.

You know what Ricky has done to make it near impossible to recruit current talented NRL star quality, he took arguably the very same, most talented, uninjured team from SECOND in 2016 to back to back TENTHS in 2017/2018 off the back of poor coaching, horrible bench use, disgusting defensive ability and zero heart. The same team.

NO ONE wants to join the Ricky Stuart fast train to mediocrity. And I for respect that. The sooner the Ricky Blew-it era is behind us, the sooner we can have nice things again.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

RedRaider wrote: October 31, 2018, 8:05 pm I hope we do 'due diligence' on his fitness. He is tough and plays with injury but he is not getting any younger. 8 seasons with the Warriors for a 46% win percentage which was bumped up in 2018. I say again, we can score tries. We were second top try scoring side in the NRL in 2018. It is our defence which is our huge weakness. 10th in defence and 10th on the ladder. It is not some freakish co-incidence. Again I will say, over the past decade the sides which have won the comp are Top 5 (Mostly Top 4) defensive sides. The successful sides know it and focus on it.

I agree. I think we need to replace Austin with another half. Hingano's injury makes the recruitment of a half even more important. However in addressing our biggest issue we need a an average attacking prop who comes with above average defence and we need a half who opposition offences won't see as a weakness.

I think Wighton to 5/8th with a quality outside back to replace him and throwing the bank at Klemmer would be a much, much better use of whatever money we have in that it would address our two biggest issues from last season (poor defensive middles and Austin)
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Manchild wrote: October 31, 2018, 7:37 pm Big question. Would you lose Rapana for SJ
Nope. Rapana has the consistency that Johnson lacks, obv very different positions but you can base a Premiership season around guys that turn up and contribute positively week and week out.

Sure wish we hadn't re-signed Sezer though.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Green eyed Mick wrote: November 1, 2018, 7:01 am

I agree. I think we need to replace Austin with another half. Hingano's injury makes the recruitment of a half even more important. However in addressing our biggest issue we need a an average attacking prop who comes with above average defence and we need a half who opposition offences won't see as a weakness.

I think Wighton to 5/8th with a quality outside back to replace him and throwing the bank at Klemmer would be a much, much better use of whatever money we have in that it would address our two biggest issues from last season (poor defensive middles and Austin)
Knights already threw the bank and Klem, and he has jumped on that horse to chase a damsel in distress
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 1, 2018, 7:46 am
Nope. Rapana has the consistency that Johnson lacks, obv very different positions but you can base a Premiership season around guys that turn up and contribute positively week and week out.
Wait? Really?
We've got the best winger in the world and arguably another top 5-6 in Cotric and have for the past 2 years... where has that netted us exactly?
Missing the play-offs both years. The very fact that arguably our best two players in the last 24 months have been our wingers is exactly the reason we're not any good. Wingers simply cant impact the game on anywhere NEAR the level the spine does.

There isn't a winger in the history of RL that i wouldn't trade in today's game for a legitimate half if that's what the team was missing.
No offence, Rog, but anyone who values an elite winger over a half of SJ's ability has lost their damn mind.

That all being said, SJ isn't coming to Canberra, he'll have a market in sydney at a club like the Eels or Canterbury, and if he did, i have ZERO doubt under Coach **** he would regress to being a pretty average footballer. So it's all moot.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Pigman wrote: November 1, 2018, 7:55 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 1, 2018, 7:46 am
Wait? Really?
We've got the best winger in the world and arguably another top 5-6 in Cotric and have for the past 2 years... where has that netted us exactly?
Missing the play-offs both years. The very fact that arguably our best two players in the last 24 months have been our wingers is exactly the reason we're not any good. Wingers simply cant impact the game on anywhere NEAR the level the spine does.

There isn't a winger in the history of RL that i wouldn't trade in today's game for a legitimate half if that's what the team was missing.
No offence, Rog, but anyone who values an elite winger over a half of SJ's ability has lost their damn mind.

That all being said, SJ isn't coming to Canberra, he'll have a market in sydney at a club like the Eels or Canterbury, and if he did, i have ZERO doubt under Coach **** he would regress to being a pretty average footballer. So it's all moot.
Johnson is in and out of games like our current halves, the difference being his best is far beyond theirs. A Johnson/Wighton combo just doesn't excite me that much unless Hodgson is going to be doing a bunch of kicking. Johnson has got a team to the finals twice in his eight seasons - hardly a top level half given he has been surrounded by quite talented rosters.

Agree no chance he ends up here.
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

:woot:

Too late boys - on the excitement rollercoaster.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Would be a dream signing but even I’m not high enough to believe it could ever happen.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Bay 67
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Post by Bay 67 »

I have a feeling we have a little more cap wriggle-room than people believe. Better than where we were this time last year. Of the players leaving, Paulo and Boyd were not on small coin and we'd tabled a $700K per annum offer for Austin. We've upgraded a few players like Tapine and Cotric and signed Bateman and Sutton fro Wigan. Yes, I know a lot of players from the 2016 team were on back-ended contracts but if you say that Bateman took close to Austin's money, then Sutton is probably more likely to be on something closer to Gubb/Lui money than Paulo/Boyd money.

We also have a little bit of extra $ to play with (not a huge amount, but at least $50-75K) because of Hingano's injury in Australia-Tonga Test and the new rep injury salary relief and given Johnson is in a "like for like" position we can use that too.
Raiders Lime, what they really drink in the dressing room.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There’s no salary cap relief for Hingano under the rule.
Bay 67
Brett Mullins

Post by Bay 67 »

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/22/nrl ... rep-stars/

Key points of the proposal include:

Clubs to receive a salary cap exemption for the pro-rata value of the injured player’s contract, up to a maximum of $350,000;
There is no limit on the number of players from each club entitled to salary cap relief if they suffer a long term injury in a representative match;
If the club has a place left in their Top 30 squad, the injured player must be ruled out for a minimum of 12 matches and cannot make an early return, and;
If the club does not have a roster spot left, they can sign a 31st player but the injured player must be ruled out for the season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But Hingano won’t miss 12 matches.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders pour cold water on reported link to Shaun Johnson

NRL.com understands Canberra are not in a position salary cap-wise to consider a player with the price tag that the talented halfback carries.

Raiders officials say they've been told that not only do the Warriors want him to stay but Johnson doesn't want to leave when his contract expires at the end of next season.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/01/can ... ne-return/
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

awww
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Our inability to compete on the player market is almost the biggest issue we face, second only to the clubs unaccountable ownership structure. Getting a deal like this done would be huge and is more important than any risks as far as on field results.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: November 1, 2018, 10:00 amawww
Either Dean Ritchie or Margie Mc Donald are right... can’t be both.
Bay 67
Brett Mullins

Post by Bay 67 »

greeneyed wrote: November 1, 2018, 9:53 am But Hingano won’t miss 12 matches.
Good point... although the chances of the 6 matches becoming 12 would be high...