Canberra Raiders edge closer to new stadium deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

"The toughest fans in the NRL" give the Canberra Raiders a home-field advantage they don't want to give up as the club edges closer towards a new hiring agreement for Canberra Stadium.

"Our agreement expires at the end of 2019 and currently there is a [penalty] clause [for taking games away from Canberra] in there and we are talking to the government about that," Furner said. "We’re playing two games in Wagga, so 2020 will be a completely new deal. We’ll sit down and work out a new hiring agreement, it might not have any clause like that in there.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50bsr.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders edge closer to new stadium deal

Post by greeneyed »

Personally, as an ACT taxpayer, I think the ACT Government should enforce the $150,000 penalty. These incentives are provided, so that the Raiders play their home games in Canberra. Now they're taking a home game away. I'm unhappy about the whole thing, really.

This year, the Raiders play in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, Wollongong, Townsville, Gold Coast, Darwin... the Raiders fans are expected to travel massive distances to get to away games already, and the Raiders decide to take one of our home games to Wagga. Not only that, we have an effective price rise in our memberships of something approaching 10 per cent... because prices have not been reduced to account for one less game.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Forgot Darwin ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I will not be happy until the Raiders relocate to Gosford

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fixed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dusty wrote: October 25, 2018, 5:58 pm I will not be happy until the Raiders relocate to Gosford

Why would the Canberra Raiders relocate to Gosford? They're the Canberra Raiders. Not only that, smaller population base on the Central Coast, constricted by geography, and no regional television or significant media base... and virtually no interest in the Raiders amongst the local population.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote:
Dusty wrote: October 25, 2018, 5:58 pm I will not be happy until the Raiders relocate to Gosford

Why would the Canberra Raiders relocate to Gosford? They're the Canberra Raiders. Not only that, smaller population base on the Central Coast, constricted by geography, and no regional television or significant media base... and virtually no interest in the Raiders amongst the local population.
Joking... it’s make me happy though... And at my local RL club there are at least 10-15 Raiders fans

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Compare our situation with that of South Sydney Rabbitohs fans.

They are taking two home games away... to Sunshine Coast Stadium and Central Coast Stadium. They still have 17 fixtures in Sydney. They still have 10 home games at the Olympic Stadium, they also have two games a stone's throw away at Western Sydney Stadium, and one at the SCG, a stone's throw from their traditional Redfern base.

Raiders fans have just 12 fixtures at home, the closest away venue being three hours drive away... they can only realistically drive to six of the 12 away games... and the Raiders decide to ADD to our travel burden. It's ridiculous and shows little regard for the members in my view.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

The ACT government should do more than just make them pay the $150K. They need to start putting some on field KPI's on the money the ACT taxpayers provide to the club.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think if the Canberra community want the club to stop taking home games away from CS and convince the local government to committee HUGE levels of funding to a major infrastructure project, they'd best start getting out to Raiders AND Brumbies games, AND publicly supporting the A-League bid.

Because a new stadium isnt going to happen and it shouldnt happen when the Brumbies and Raiders are the only regular tenants cant pull more than 10k regularly.
And that's not all the fans fault, it's hard to get the motivation to sit in the cold to watch a bad team get beat, so the onus is also on the Brumbies and Raiders to put a product on the park that makes fans want to get out and support.

But right now there is absolutely no justification IMO for a new stadium. I'd rather the money be put towards a bullet train.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This isn't really about a new Stadium. It's about the terms of a deal to remain at the current one.

I do sympathise with the Raiders regarding the costs of hiring the stadium with low crowds. The new deal needs to be structured so that the costs of opening the gates are reduced for these matches.

But the Raiders also need to accept that they are getting big financial incentives to play their home games in Canberra... and just can't take them away willy nilly to which ever regional council pays them for. The Raiders can't expect to double dip. And they should show more loyalty to their members IMO. I find it very disappointing that they have treated their members this way this year.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We've got 20k of members and cant draw 10k of fans through the gates
Now i get that the club itself did itself no favours with it's on field product, and that's entirely on them so they are FAR from blameless, in fact they are probably mostly to blame... history has shown that the canberra community will rally behind a winner quickly. They'll desert a loser real quick too.

But when you cant get 10k to show up through the gates, and if there is a financial incentive to take games elsewhere... i can see why they'd be looking at those options.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The 20,000 members aren't real members, lets' face it. The Raiders count the four game memberships given to locally registered rugby league players... paid for by an "anonymous donor" as I recall... or other sponsors. Who knows how many real full season members there are... well I guess the Raiders do.

Bottom line is, the Raiders have made the top eight in three seasons in the past decade. They have not won a premiership in 25 years. The longest drought in the NRL apart from the Eels. The club is not putting teams on the field that people want to see. The club has chronically under performed, and they'd be better off focused on that, rather than selling home games to regional councils... delivering even smaller crowds for a Raiders home game and taking them away from the home fans they have. It's depressing really.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: October 25, 2018, 7:31 pm Bottom line is, the Raiders have made the top eight in three seasons in the past decade. They have not won a premiership in 25 years. The longest drought in the NRL apart from the Eels. The club is not putting teams on the field that people want to see. The club has chronically under performed, and they'd be better off focused on that, rather than selling home games to regional councils.
Yeah that's all fair.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

I wish I was a ‘real’ member

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dusty wrote: October 25, 2018, 8:14 pm I wish I was a ‘real’ member

You can be if you sign up. I don't think the club can say it is a real membership if the membership is being paid for by someone else... comes automatically... with minimal game admission.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote:

You can be if you sign up. I don't think the club can say it is a real membership if the membership is being paid for by someone else... comes automatically... with minimal game admission.
I’ve signed up, have done for a few years now. Just not a ‘real’ membership as you put it.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dusty wrote: October 25, 2018, 8:40 pm
greeneyed wrote:

I’ve signed up, have done for a few years now. Just not a ‘real’ membership as you put it.

But that is not what I meant at all. If you've signed up and paid... that's a real membership.

What I'm referring to is that there are a lot of "memberships" that come automatically and are not paid for by the member.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote:
Dusty wrote: October 25, 2018, 8:40 pm
greeneyed wrote:

But that is not what I meant at all. If you've signed up and paid... that's a real membership.

What I'm referring to is that there are a lot of "memberships" that come automatically and are not paid for by the member.
Sorry, I misinterpreted what you wrote

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No worries Dusty, you're a good man.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Taking games to regional areas will grow the NRL and raiders following, I agree the membership price should reflect less games, but I fully support taking 2 games to regional areas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

El_Capitano wrote: October 25, 2018, 11:02 pm Taking games to regional areas will grow the NRL and raiders following, I agree the membership price should reflect less games, but I fully support taking 2 games to regional areas!

But this is the issue. It doesn’t. The crowds at regional venues are small, probably much lower than we get at Canberra Stadium. It “sounds good” in the press releases. But what it is doing is consigning us to even lower crowds and smaller support. We need a successful team in Canberra and we will have MUCH bigger crowds and support. The bottom line is the club is significantly underperforming and fixing that is the solution... not taking home games to tiny venues. We should be trying to grow crowds, not downsizing them.

I just despair that Raiders fans think that taking home games away is a good idea.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

What about Raiders fans in Wagga?

How soon IS now?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

El_Capitano wrote: October 25, 2018, 11:21 pm What about Raiders fans in Wagga?

I’m sure they’ll enjoy having the game there, but there aren’t very many of them. I know there are some fans in Wagga on this site, and it’s great for them. I sincerely hope they really enjoy seeing the game there. But I don’t think it builds our support much. People in country towns already have their teams. They don’t change because of one or two games in a country town. And you just have to look at the demographics. It’s worth playing trial games at these venues, not your premium games.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

greeneyed wrote:

I’m sure they’ll enjoy having the game there, but there aren’t very many of them. I know there are some fans in Wagga on this site, and it’s great for them. I sincerely hope they really enjoy seeing the game there. But I don’t think it builds our support much. People in country towns already have their teams. They don’t change because of one or two games in a country town. And you just have to look at the demographics. It’s worth playing trial games at these venues, not your premium games.
I think the Riverina is an AFL heavy area, it’s also nice to see an NRL team attack an AFL stronghold.

How soon IS now?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

El_Capitano wrote: October 25, 2018, 11:35 pm
greeneyed wrote:

I think the Riverina is an AFL heavy area, it’s also nice to see an NRL team attack an AFL stronghold.

But I don’t see the AFL playing a premiership match there. We should by all means play another trial at Wagga. The ground there is not, however, of NRL standard. Nor should we give up a home NRL match.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Some posters believe the NRL should be doing more for rugby league in the Canberra region and if this is a small initiative in a grander plan for the benefit of rugby league in the region I support it. I'm not hugely optimistic on that front but hopefully the NRL expands on this. I agree with you GE, people in Wagga already have their teams but if we can get the younger generation.... but that also requires FTA exposure... maybe the NRL should get the **** Broncos playing in regional areas, seems to be the only side the NRL gives a hoot about getting their brand out to the masses.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Pigman wrote: October 25, 2018, 6:55 pm I think if the Canberra community want the club to stop taking home games away from CS and convince the local government to committee HUGE levels of funding to a major infrastructure project, they'd best start getting out to Raiders AND Brumbies games, AND publicly supporting the A-League bid.

Because a new stadium isnt going to happen and it shouldnt happen when the Brumbies and Raiders are the only regular tenants cant pull more than 10k regularly.
And that's not all the fans fault, it's hard to get the motivation to sit in the cold to watch a bad team get beat, so the onus is also on the Brumbies and Raiders to put a product on the park that makes fans want to get out and support.

But right now there is absolutely no justification IMO for a new stadium. I'd rather the money be put towards a bullet train.
I agree with you completely.

Unfortunately there are two things that need to happen before you will get upwards of 20K on average to home games. Firstly, the club needs to perform on the field and get results. Secondly, the club needs administrators capable of taking advantage of our advantages (one team in a growing city) and managing our disadvantages (One team in a city most of them have been conditioned to despise).
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Personally I think that each team should take one home game to a regional area per year. 16 NRL games in the bush would go a long way to supporting the grass roots.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

My understanding of this Wagga game has been that it helps the NSW Government justify its funding of the Raiders' Centre of Excellence development. The article mentions this in passing.

Personally, I'm semi-retired now. So, I could go to more home games from now on. However, by taking a game away while increasing the price, I've opted for a six-game membership package instead. I pick which games to attend rather than feeling I have to go to all of them to justify the big spend. Consequently, the crowd size will be one person less for the five remaining games. I can't believe I'm alone in thinking this way though.

The hardest thing about this is that the Wagga game will be against Penrith rather than a low-drawing team like the Cowboys or Titans. No offence to the Cowboys, but there are only so many displaced and homesick Army personnel from Townsville. This seems to dismiss the rationale of taking a commercially unviable game to Wagga.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Dusty wrote: October 25, 2018, 6:12 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Joking... it’s make me happy though... And at my local RL club there are at least 10-15 Raiders fans

I would be ecstatic.

Its a very long drive home from Bruce stadium after another sub-par mental effort from the boys.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Just through interest...do the Storm play any home games away in "regional" areas?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Johno wrote: October 26, 2018, 6:47 pm Just through interest...do the Storm play any home games away in "regional" areas?
No, though one home game is at Lang Park in Magic Round against the Eels. They are being taken to Bathurst by the Panthers and to Gosford by the Rabbitohs.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Putting on one game in Wagga isn’t going to save rugby league in western NSW.

Showing one of the FoxSport Saturday league games on free to air in country Australia, will do much more to ensure rugby league survives in an area with little satellite TV and AFL games filling the airwaves.

NRL commission has absolutely no idea and contains more plodders than a rep round NRL game.
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

There are so many alternatives to this. If clubs are so interested in promoting RLeague in the country, why not try these:

- membership packages for ‘country folk’?

- free buses from and to Wagga to the game at Canberra and back( and maybe next day depending on time of kick off).

- half price entry or free entry on game day if you can show you are from one of the designated country areas

Probably lot more better ideas out there. But a one off game at the destination wont do much as everyone say. Most country folk turn up to the ONE game in the country as a novelty.....