2018 in review - Ata Hingano

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the twentieth instalment of 2018 in review. As usual, now the Raiders' season is done, we are reviewing all 25 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2018. So far, we've looked at Jack Wighton, Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, Jordan Rapana, Blake Austin, Aidan Sezer, Sam Williams, Junior Paulo, Sia Soliola, Josh Hodgson, Siliva Havili, Shannon Boyd, Dunamis Lui, Joe Tapine, Elliott Whitehead, Josh Papalii, Luke Bateman and Brad Abbey.

Ata Hingano joined the Raiders in March this year from the New Zealand Warriors - just prior to Round 1 - after playing 13 NRL games for the Auckland based outfit in 2017. Born in Auckland, Hingano played with the Warriors NYC team in 2014-16 - also playing for the Warriors NSW Premiership team in that time. He made his NRL debut in 2016, playing three games in that season.

Hingano signed a three year contract with the Warriors in 2017, tying him to the club to the end of 2020. But when the Warriors signed Blake Green, Hingano saw his path to first grade blocked, and he sought an early release to join the Green Machine. He secured a two year deal with the Raiders - but with an option in favour of Hingano, allowing him to leave at the end of 2018 if he wasn't getting a shot in first grade.

"The Raiders are missing a hooker [Josh Hodgson due to an ACL injury], but for me it's more being under a coach that has success behind him and hopefully I can develop as a player," Hingano said on signing with Canberra.

"The indication Canberra has given me is if I can prove myself and stand out in [NSW] Cup games then 'we'll give you a crack'.

"I know they've got established halves, but if I can get that development under Ricky, I can really challenge and try and get in front of them, or else just play consistent footy. But I don't mind attacking other positions whether it's hooker or half. I've just got to keep working hard for it."

Hingano started the season at Mounties, and he played five games for the Mt Pritchard outfit, including the first three rounds. He made his debut in green in the Round 4 loss to the Sea Eagles off the bench - and he went on to play nine matches in first grade. All his appearances came off the bench, playing mainly at dummy half. His season was cut short after suffering an ankle injury in the mid season Pacific Test representing Tonga.

I rated him an average of 3.1/10 through the season, a score affected by a "0" rating in the Round 5 match, when he played just two minutes before being injured. He also played only 10 minutes of the following game against the Eels. In the last gasp Round 12 win over the Sea Eagles, he ended up not being used off the bench - and played with Mounties the next day. He was dropped to Mounties in Round 15, following the loss to the Panthers and the return of Josh Hodgson from injury. That game for Mounties proved to be Hingano's final club match of the season. I didn't rate Hingano higher than a "5" in any match. His overall score reflects the fact he played less than half the season.

It is difficult to assess Hingano's contributions statistically, given his very limited minutes. He mostly played at dummy half this year - and while he has experience playing at hooker, he is probably at his best in the halves. As a playmaker, he had limited impact when he was on the field, with just one try assist and one line break assist for the season. He did not score a point and had just one try involvement. He did not make a lot of dummy half runs, averaging just over one per match. His tackle efficiency (75 per cent) was in the bottom five players at the club. He did fairly well defending in the middle, for a player his size, but missed an average of over two tackles per match, ranking sixth at the club. He only had one try cause to his name, however.

Hingano returned from his ankle surgery in Tonga's historic first Test match against Australia in Auckland on the weekend, playing at half for the Mate Ma'a. However, he suffered what is reportedly a minor shoulder dislocation early in the game - and played just 20 minutes or so. The full extent of his injury is not known, but at the least, it will put a fair dent in his 2019 pre season training. It just adds to the disruption to his development that he's experienced in 2018. This season didn't really demonstrate he should be in contention for the Raiders' top 17 in 2019, but he adds to depth in crucial positions. It may actually benefit his development, and first grade chances, to have an extended stint with Mounties in his preferred position in the halves, so he can show what he can deliver.

How did you rate Ata Hingano's 2018? Tell us below.

Ata Hingano's 2018: 2/10

2018 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 9
Average minutes: 26.2
Tries: 0
Try assists: 1
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 1
Total kicks: 2
Kick metres: 10m
Total runs: 25
Dummy half runs: 13
Dummy half runs per match: 1.4
All run metres: 200
Average metres per carry: 8m
Average metres per game: 22m
Tackle breaks: 2
Offloads: 5
Line breaks: 0
Line break assists: 1
Tackles: 90
Average tackles per game: 10
1 on 1 tackles: 7
Missed tackles: 20
Average missed tackles per game: 2.2
Tackle efficiency: 75 per cent
Try causes: 1
Line break causes: 6
Errors: 6
Penalties conceded: 2
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: 2018 in review - Ata Hingano

Post by Matt »

I feel sorry for him. He got 1 game in his position. He played mostly hooker, and got knocked out, at least once. He was willing in defense, which is something for a bloke of his size playing in the middle. However, season 2018 will be remembered for his 'stellar' performance on the wing.

2 seems fair though.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Played out of position and performed poorly. 3/10
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

2/10. Training him up to be a hooker was dumb.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

edwahu wrote: October 22, 2018, 3:57 pm 2/10. Training him up to be a hooker was dumb.
More of a reflection on the coaching staff.

We had a hooker carving it up at Mounties who couldn't get a run.

Sezer played hooker also, I have no idea which is why Ricky is head coach and I'm just a keyboard warrior.

Should be given a run over Williams next season when fit.
WorkChoice
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Not a very good hooker, even worse winger... hard to know where to play him
Might be worth trialling him at half, i know it sounds crazy, but hear me out... i just think a fleet footed ball runner, who weighs 85kgs ringing wet might not stand up long term as a hooker and probably isnt physical enough to ruck the ball up or finish in traffic the way wingers need to these days...
But that's just me. Obviously coach Stuart watches football on a deeper level than the fans... so yeah, probably time to give up on him and laugh about him in future threads about worst raiders ever

:doubt:
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

7/10.

Five of those are sympathy points for the sheet negligence he has copped re: Development.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

His contract allows him one more year with us. I didn't think he was NRL ready judging by his out of position performances. He will have to improve a lot to still be here in 2020.