2018 in review - Brad Abbey

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the ninteenth instalment of 2018 in review. As usual, now the Raiders' season is done, we are reviewing all 25 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2018. So far, we've looked at Jack Wighton, Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, Jordan Rapana, Blake Austin, Aidan Sezer, Sam Williams, Junior Paulo, Sia Soliola, Josh Hodgson, Siliva Havili, Shannon Boyd, Dunamis Lui, Joe Tapine, Elliott Whitehead, Josh Papalii and Luke Bateman.

Brad Abbey joined the Raiders in 2018 from Canterbury, after playing four NRL games for the Bulldogs in 2017. Born in Auckland, Abbey played with the New Zealand Warriors NYC team in 2014-15 and joined the Bulldogs on a three year contract. He represented the Junior Kiwis in 2016, but a salary cap strapped Bulldogs released him early to the Raiders in a player swap for Clay Priest.

Abbey spent the first half of the year playing with Mounties - and was one of the best fullbacks in the NSW Premiership. He played 13 matches for Mounties, scoring 12 tries and producing 100 metres gained on average per match, a total 35 tackle breaks, seven line breaks and seven try assists. He was called up to first grade in the Round 16 match against the Brisbane Broncos, after Jack Wighton was stood down upon pleading guilty to assault charges. Abbey went on to make nine appearances for the Raiders, seven at fullback and two on the wing. After being elevated to firsts, he only missed the Round 18 match against the Cowboys due to concussion.

I rated him an average of 4.4/10 through the season, with his overall score reflecting the fact he played less than half the season. His best games came in his debut in green against the Broncos (when he clocked up 129 running metres) and the Round 23 win over the Roosters. I rated him a "6" in both matches.

Based on averages per match, Abbey was towards the bottom of the list of Raiders backs for total try involvements, line breaks, line break assists, tackle breaks and offloads. Only Jarrod Croker averaged fewer running metres than Abbey amongst the Raiders outside backs/fullbacks. His tackle efficiency rate (73 per cent) was amongst the lowest at the club - in line with Jordan Rapana. Only Nick Cotric and Michael Oldfield had a lower tackle efficiency rate. His try causes per match (around 1) were only second to Oldfield, while his error count per match (1.3) was second only to Jordan Rapana.

Compared with other NRL fullbacks, he was towards the bottom of the list in most attacking statistics. His tackle efficiency rate was amongst the lowest - but then again, Billy Slater had a lower rate. His error count per match was amongst the highest - but Tom Trbojevic and Kalyn Ponga had a worse count.

Abbey is still only 21 years of age, and while he struggled with the step up to the NRL, we need to keep in mind that fullback is a critical, and very difficult, position in modern rugby league. Modern fullbacks are expected to be one of the playmakers, and they are also very exposed in receiving kicks and in the last line of defence. And even the best fullbacks can make a lot of handling and defensive errors. In addition, Abbey showed a great deal of potential with Mounties this season - and previously in junior grades. The challenge for Abbey and the club will be to convert his potential into consistent performance at first grade level. Hopefully, with some more experience in NSW Premiership, he can take the next step in coming seasons.

How did you rate Brad Abbey's 2018? Tell us below.

Brad Abbey's 2018: 3/10

2018 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 9
Average minutes: 77.7
Tries: 1
Try assists: 1
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 2
Total kicks: 1
Kick metres: 15m
Total runs: 82
All run metres: 659
Average metres per carry: 8m
Average metres per game: 73m
Tackle breaks: 9
Offloads: 0
Line breaks: 1
Line break assists: 2
Tackles: 36
Average tackles per game: 4
1 on 1 tackles: 2
Missed tackles: 11
Average missed tackles per game: 1.2
Tackle efficiency: 73 per cent
Try causes: 8
Line break causes: 5
Errors: 12
Penalties conceded: 2
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Re: 2018 in review - Brad Abbey

Post by Makaveli »

EDIT. Hopefully never has to play FG again

Censorship gone mad
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

He shows signs of promise, then makes a horrible mistake.
3 is probably fair, though id be tempted to say lower.
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

I wish we kept Santo to fill this guys slot.
Long time creeper....... First time poster
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I think Abbey has a higher ceiling than Santo.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

BA needs to add 30kg to his frame.

I've never seen an NRL player incapable of filling out a jersey.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

4.5/10 He didn't really take the opportunity that arose from Jack's suspension.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yep I’m all for Abbey putting on 10kg and biding his time further developing his game.

He should be signing a 2-3 year minimum wage contract and targeting his long term development.

Could become a decent first grader over the longer term. But too many of these guys fade away in the second tiers by chopping and changing clubs.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I must see something in this guy that others don’t. I think he reads the play very well.

He is quite tall so if he was to put on some bulk I really see him as being a decent player.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

He makes way too many crucial mistakes and unlike BJ or Rapana doesn't make up for it with the rest of his game. Bulking up won't fix that.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

He's 10 games into his career. We'd have said the same about Rapana after about 20 games in green.

For Abbey it seemed to be in game he'd be up and down - the effort was always there. Deserves another run as back up next year.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Disagree completely, Rapana’s brilliance was always clear early even with errors. Abbey looks fringe first grade.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

There was plenty of rage at Rapana's handling errors early in his stint at the Raiders. Def showed more than Abbey has but his handling was often ridiculed in gameday threads.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Mainly by pigman and co who wouldn’t recognise the world’s greatest winger if he kicked them in the bum!
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

If we’re being honest he’s not even close to first grade standard. Should never play fullback while the club has both Rapana and Cotric on the wings. In fact geneuine reserve fullbacks are pretty much obsolete. You should have reserve centres/wingers and some other actual first grader should cover the 1.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

If his handling improves with experience I think he could be a Bronx Goodwin level backup.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Bronx only played 20 games for us for a reason, he was just as awful.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Terrible in defence. Needs another 20kgs of muscle. As a last line to defend our try line I have no faith in him with his current physical state. He would be flat out wrestling a lettuce leaf from a salad let alone an NRL footballer determined to score a try.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Red Raider. Telling it like it is.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: October 26, 2018, 12:14 am Red Raider. Telling it like it is.
Going H.A.M in every thread. More often than not I find myself agreeing too.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

RedRaider wrote: October 25, 2018, 11:47 pm Terrible in defence. Needs another 20kgs of muscle. As a last line to defend our try line I have no faith in him with his current physical state. He would be flat out wrestling a lettuce leaf from a salad let alone an NRL footballer determined to score a try.
I'd rather Reece Robinson as our last line defence instead of him and that's saying something.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

edwahu wrote:Bronx only played 20 games for us for a reason, he was just as awful.
Remember when we signed Bronx Goodwin for $200k per season?
Good times.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

julian87 wrote:If we’re being honest he’s not even close to first grade standard. Should never play fullback while the club has both Rapana and Cotric on the wings. In fact geneuine reserve fullbacks are pretty much obsolete. You should have reserve centres/wingers and some other actual first grader should cover the 1.
Yep. The main reason abbey would be placed at fullback with Cotric/Rapana still out wide is because Abbey is a lot less effective on the wing than he is at fullback.

Should be seeking another Oldfield type player in Abbey’s place for the squad.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Has a bit of potential, but as has been said, he needs to put on a bit of size. He just gets physically dominated out there.

Don't mind him though. Good for the squad.