2018 in review - Josh Papalii

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the seventeenth instalment of 2018 in review. As usual, now the Raiders' season is done, we are reviewing all 25 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2018. So far, we've looked at Jack Wighton, Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, Jordan Rapana, Blake Austin, Aidan Sezer, Sam Williams, Junior Paulo, Sia Soliola, Josh Hodgson, Siliva Havili, Shannon Boyd, Dunamis Lui, Joe Tapine and Elliott Whitehead.

Josh Papalii played 22 of 24 premiership matches in 2018. He was dropped to the Raiders' NSW Premiership affiliate, Mounties, in Round 5 after a slow start to his season. He responded with a man of the match performance for Mounties, clocking up an impressive 182 metres from 17 runs, 78 post contact metres, four tackle breaks and 21 tackles. He was restored to the top team in Round 6 and never looked back.

“I probably agreed with Ricky on the call to drop me back,” Papalii said after his return to first grade. “I just copped it on the chin like most players would. Sticky said I wasn’t in form and dropped me back for one week. I’ve been in these shoes before. I got dropped back to Souths Logan back in the day. Sometimes to try and get that spark you need to take a few steps backwards and come back a better player.”

He certainly did that. After returning to firsts, Papalii shifted from the edge to the middle and made the lock position his own. He played a total of 15 matches at lock, six in the second row, and two off the bench. The only other match he missed was the Round 17 clash with the Bulldogs, due to Queensland Origin duty. And at season's end, he was named Meninga Medalist and Fans' Choice Player of the Year.

Papalii was Canberra's most damaging forward. He made an average of 126 metres from 14 runs per match, the only Raiders forward to break the 100 metre mark. He broke the 200 metres gained mark in the Round 10 match against the Sharks and the 150 metre mark in seven matches. Amongst the Raiders' forwards, he ranked equal third for try involvements, equal first for line breaks and second for tackle breaks, just marginally behind Joe Tapine.

He ranked sixth amongst NRL locks for total running metres, and was inside the top 10 NRL locks for average running metres and metres per carry. He was second only to Jason Taumalolo for tackle breaks (56) amongst NRL locks.

In defence, Papalii averaged 27 tackles per game this year - up from the 22 he registered up in 2017 - ranking fourth amongst the Raiders forwards. The top 10 locks averaged 30 or more. His tackle efficiency rate (91 per cent) is good - albeit not in the top 10 locks - and his missed tackle average is low. He was well down the list of locks for try causes, errors and penalties conceded.

I rated him an average of 7/10 per match through the season and ranked first in the total points tally. My rating below reflects his overall contribution to the Raiders' season. I rated him an "8" eight times. It is difficult to pick out his best performances, but I'll highlight a few.

In Round 10 against the Sharks, he produced a season high 213 metres from 18 runs, one try assist, one line break assist, one offload and 31 tackles. Against the Cowboys in Round 18, he made 19 runs for 182 metres, 101 post contact metres, three tackle breaks and 31 tackles. He was outstanding in the narrow Round 22 loss to the Wests Tigers, when he scored one try and made 18 runs for 172 metres, 64 post contact metres, five tackles breaks, one line break assist, one off load, 38 tackles. He backed that up in the Round 23 win over the Roosters. In that match he made 15 runs for 156 metres, 62 post contact metres, four tackles breaks, three off loads and 33 tackles. His season high tackle count (46) came in the final round loss to the Warriors.

He took Fans' Choice man of the match in six matches (Round 10 V Sharks, Round 11 V Dragons, Round 14 V Panthers, Round 18 V Cowboys, Round 23 V Roosters and Round 25 V Warriors).

Papalii played all three State of Origin matches for the Maroons this season, and put himself back into contention for Kangaroos selection.

"I thought he had a really good series, I think he's having a really good year," Australian coach Mal Meninga said after the Origin series.

"Certainly since he's been dropped, come back in the side and playing in the middle of the field at 13 he's excelled. I think he's one of the best forwards in the competition at the moment on form."

"The good thing with 'Papa' is he's got flexibility. He can play edge, he can play middle. The middle suits him. He's a big unit, got good footwork, good speed, he's got a great motor, he can last good minutes."

He was ultimately not included in the Kangaroos squad for the end of season Tests against New Zealand and Tonga - but that had more to do with his unavailability due to wedding plans than his form.

Papalii earned a four year contract extension with the Raiders in June, tying him to the Green Machine until the end of 2022. He'll be aged 30 by the end of that deal, and it now seems likely he'll end his career as a one club man. There's no doubt in my mind Papalii was the Raiders' best in 2018.

How did you rate Josh Papalii's season? Tell us below.

Josh Papalii's 2018: 8/10

2018 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 22
Average minutes: 67.4
Tries: 5
Try assists: 2
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 7
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0m
Total runs: 306
All run metres: 2776
Average metres per carry: 9.1m
Average metres per game: 126m
Tackle breaks: 56
Offloads: 14
Line breaks: 7
Line break assists: 4
Tackles: 583
Average tackles per game: 26.5
1 on 1 tackles: 34
Missed tackles: 33
Average missed tackles per game: 1.5
Tackle efficiency: 91 per cent
Try causes: 6
Line break causes: 12
Errors: 7
Penalties conceded: 11
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2018 in review - Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm so happy he backflipped on the Eels deal and stayed with us.

When he's on..he's destructive.

Awesome season Papa..our best forward everyday of the week.

8/10
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

And still only 26.

We are yet to see the best of him.

I believe that...which is scary for the opposition.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

7/10

Probably looks like a harsh score when he was at least an 8/10 for nearly the entire year, but our poor start was what killed our season and he was a huge part of that. I am looking forward to him starting the year with a flyer and keeping it going for the entire season.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

For a short period there in 2016 he was the ace up our sleeve in a dominant forward pack. I'd love to see that from our team again, so Papa can hold a bit in reserve for those big plays at the line.

Such a gun forward, often let down by our front row. He's a Taumalolo level beast when on song.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

7/10. Started the year slowly but took responsibility for his poor form and turned his season around. If he starts the pre-season fit and keeps working hard he's a strong chance at cementing his place in the starting 13 for QLD and Australia.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I have to give him credit for making the move to the middle. He never looked that good there in the past for mine. Hopefully he transitions to the lead prop spot as well, we really need that to work.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

edwahu wrote:7/10

Probably looks like a harsh score when he was at least an 8/10 for nearly the entire year, but our poor start was what killed our season and he was a huge part of that. I am looking forward to him starting the year with a flyer and keeping it going for the entire season.
Yep, agree 100%

You shouldn’t be able to get 8/10 for a season you showed up to after it already ended.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

People being harsh on Papa in here. Yes he started slow, and got dropped. BUT, once he moved to Lock he was the best one in the game for 2018.

8 is acceptable
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Matt wrote: October 17, 2018, 5:48 pm People being harsh on Papa in here. Yes he started slow, and got dropped. BUT, once he moved to Lock he was the best one in the game for 2018.

8 is acceptable
The season was done by then. Given his seniority in the squad he has to take a lot of the blame for that.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Remember when I said we should play Papalii at Lock?
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

gangrenous wrote:Remember when I said we should play Papalii at Lock?
I remember it like it was 8 hours ago
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: October 17, 2018, 9:34 pm Remember when I said we should play Papalii at Lock?
Did you really? :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:
gangrenous wrote: October 17, 2018, 9:34 pm Remember when I said we should play Papalii at Lock?
Did you really? :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm
ImageImage
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Awdul to start, but finished strongly. Unfortunately, we were already done by the time he decided to get stuck in.

6/10

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

7.5/10. Our best at gaining the tough yards imo. (although the stats suggest Liam Knight made more on average per run). Always put his hand up to take a tough run. Usually on hand close to the opposition line as well. So nuggety and so hard to stop. Hopefully the Raiders will be monitoring his diet over the off season. He needed the wake up call of being dropped to get his head back into the game. Very glad the Raiders have him as a core player. Only Wedding Bells kept him from his spot in the Kangaroos side imo. A champion footballer imo.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Won't start a new thread, but nice to see all the Instagram stories this morning of Josh Papalii's wedding yesterday afternoon and last night at Pialigo Estate. Beautiful place, shame the main restaurant burned down not so long ago, but there's also beautiful garden pavilions and a wedding venue. Looks like most of the first grade team was there, except for the New Zealand and England reps of course. Flew in on a helicopter. Junior Paulo also there, with Anthony Milford best man/groomsman. Ex players like Sam Sauiluma, Mark Ioane, and Michael Chee Kam also there. Papa dressed informally in Samoan attire.