2019 Canberra Raiders draw

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Re: 2019 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by Raider Azz »

LOL, the NRL seriously scheduled the Broncos an AWAY game at Suncorp for the magic round?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider Azz wrote: October 25, 2018, 3:36 pm LOL, the NRL seriously scheduled the Broncos an AWAY game at Suncorp for the magic round?
Yes, yes, they did.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Raider Azz wrote: October 25, 2018, 3:36 pm LOL, the NRL seriously scheduled the Broncos an AWAY game at Suncorp for the magic round?
You can’t make this **** up.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

To be fair Manly has taken their home game against Broncos to Suncorp the past year or two. It shouldn't happen but it is what it is. Magic round would be better in Sydney IMO. I don't often travel to away games but if there was a magic rd at ANZ I would seriously consider going to every game.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'll be going to the Magic Round, but I'll only be going to the Raiders game.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

3 years in a row with no game in Newcastle
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

So Sandcorp will host 8 games in 4 days and we play second last? Oh, great.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

i mean seriously.....if we not top 6 by round 12, Stuart has to go.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Is magic round some sort of genius idea to see which two away teams can draw the lowest crowd of the weekend? Worst idea ever.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They're just copying the English Super League. It'd make more sense if they were taking us to a novel tourist destination, but Brisbane... we go there just about every year anyway.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hey, the Raiders has that idea first!
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

greeneyed wrote:I'll be going to the Magic Round, but I'll only be going to the Raiders game.
Seriously?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

RTW wrote:
greeneyed wrote:I'll be going to the Magic Round, but I'll only be going to the Raiders game.
Seriously?
A helicopter berth in Brisbane isn't cheap you know.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RTW wrote: October 25, 2018, 6:56 pm
Seriously?
Sure, why do I need to pay to watch other clubs play?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Once again (3 years in a row) we start with an away game. This time in the humidity of the Gold Coast late afternoon.
We play 4 of the 2018 Top 5 TWICE. There will be no one claiming this is an easy draw.

When we make the Top 8 we will have thoroughly earned it. Toughest pre-season ever coming up. If we want it enough.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

The state of origin draw has just been released. NSW will be playing against QLD 3 times.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

My Roosters following mates and I have pencilled in Magic Round. I reckon we’ll probably just hit the one game.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

play storm twice.... dis is gon be good :cmon
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

greeneyed wrote:
Seriously?
Will you at least stay for the other game on that day between Souths and Cowboys?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brew wrote: October 25, 2018, 8:46 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Seriously?
Will you at least stay for the other game on that day between Souths and Cowboys?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I guess it depends if we get a deal with the Lord Alfred Hotel for pre and post game functions for Raiders fans. They were very good to us this year, we got a great turn out, and I'd love to see us do it again.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

That draw is shocking for the raiders in terms of crowds. The 6pm friday slot is a tough tough gig and especially 2 weeks in a row.

Question about the magic weekend, wouldn't the ticket cover both games? If so that could be pricey, a "normal round" ticket there cost me a lot this year

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think it would cover both games cat. The prices for one NRL game this year were incredibly expensive at Lang Park, and if the prices aren't decent, they can expect poor crowds on any day the Broncos don't play.

Agree, 6pm twice in a row to start the season on a Friday night... and no Round 1 game. Highlights what the NRL think of the Raiders.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote:I think it would cover both games cat. The prices for one NRL game this year were incredibly expensive at Lang Park, and if the prices aren't decent, they can expect poor crowds on any day the Broncos don't play.

Agree, 6pm twice in a row to start the season on a Friday night... and no Round 1 game. Highlights what the NRL think of the Raiders.
I am really torn about the magic weekend. I paid i think $50 a ticket last season for basic seats, if its for both games then i am guessing you will be looking at $75+ .

I want to support the boys but dont support the concept or the nrl and thats a lot of money....

I will be in darwin though :)

Home games are shocking though, 1 Thursday night, 2 friday at 6pm , 1 sunday at 6pm and 2 at sunday 4pm are not great times to encourage opposition supporters to travel to Canberra and support their team (and our crowd numbers)
That's 6 games out of 11 that will be difficult for fans. Yep the draw is fair...

Vaccinated
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

One thing I noticed is we only play one game in a month mid season. We play on 13 June then only one game (in Darwin) before playing on 14 July.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Our last 7 matches are all against top 8 teams from 2018
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat wrote: October 25, 2018, 9:57 pm
greeneyed wrote:I think it would cover both games cat. The prices for one NRL game this year were incredibly expensive at Lang Park, and if the prices aren't decent, they can expect poor crowds on any day the Broncos don't play.

I am really torn about the magic weekend. I paid i think $50 a ticket last season for basic seats, if its for both games then i am guessing you will be looking at $75+ .

I want to support the boys but dont support the concept or the nrl and thats a lot of money....

I will be in darwin though :)

Home games are shocking though, 1 Thursday night, 2 friday at 6pm , 1 sunday at 6pm and 2 at sunday 4pm are not great times to encourage opposition supporters to travel to Canberra and support their team (and our crowd numbers)
That's 6 games out of 11 that will be difficult for fans. Yep the draw is fair...

Cat, you’re making a very good point.
greeneyed
Don Furner

2019 Canberra Raiders draw

Post by greeneyed »

'The face of optimism on the day the nrl draw is released': Erin Molan shares adorable snap of her daughter Eliza wearing a Canberra Raiders bib

She may no longer be the host of The Footy Show.

But Erin Molan still loves the sport and appears to be teaching her daughter Eliza all about it.

Read more: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... s-bib.html
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Sid wrote: October 25, 2018, 7:28 pm The state of origin draw has just been released. NSW will be playing against QLD 3 times.
With NSW taking their home game to Suncorp...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: October 25, 2018, 4:48 pm I'll be going to the Magic Round, but I'll only be going to the Raiders game.
He has some strange ideas this GE bloke. I would have thought he would be all over magic weekend. He is always going on about Rugby League being promoted and here is an opportunity where we will have a wonderful festival of rugby league. He was so excited about the Auckland Nines and was telling everyone it was one of the best rugby league events he has gone to. Except the only rugby league was Mickey Mouse games between players you had never heard of playing for teams that couldn’t give a stuff about the results.

To me the Magic weekend is an opportunity to replicate this sort of atmosphere with games that actually mean something. I think they have made a big mistake playing a game on the Thursday night rather than keeping it to a 48 hour block but the concept in general is great. It is a time where rugby league fans from all over come together to enjoy the games and if they do it properly it can be a fantastic atmosphere in and around the whole city. I looked at going to the English version in 2014 but it didn’t quite work out timing wise and probably going the same weekend to Camp Nou with 99,000 others to watch Barcelona and Athletico Madrid decide the La Liga was a better experience.

I am not 100% certain I will be able to go to Magic Weekend because it is not beyond the realms of possibility there won’t be another major event that we will all be participating in that weekend and I have a bit more involvement in but if I can get there I would love to go to every game.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

It's a shame we won't see Boydy emptying the tank @ GIO in 2019.

But Jnr gets his chance in rnd 5.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Bay53 wrote:
greeneyed wrote: October 25, 2018, 4:48 pm I'll be going to the Magic Round, but I'll only be going to the Raiders game.
He has some strange ideas this GE bloke. I would have thought he would be all over magic weekend. He is always going on about Rugby League being promoted and here is an opportunity where we will have a wonderful festival of rugby league. He was so excited about the Auckland Nines and was telling everyone it was one of the best rugby league events he has gone to. Except the only rugby league was Mickey Mouse games between players you had never heard of playing for teams that couldn’t give a stuff about the results.

To me the Magic weekend is an opportunity to replicate this sort of atmosphere with games that actually mean something. I think they have made a big mistake playing a game on the Thursday night rather than keeping it to a 48 hour block but the concept in general is great. It is a time where rugby league fans from all over come together to enjoy the games and if they do it properly it can be a fantastic atmosphere in and around the whole city. I looked at going to the English version in 2014 but it didn’t quite work out timing wise and probably going the same weekend to Camp Nou with 99,000 others to watch Barcelona and Athletico Madrid decide the La Liga was a better experience.

I am not 100% certain I will be able to go to Magic Weekend because it is not beyond the realms of possibility there won’t be another major event that we will all be participating in that weekend and I have a bit more involvement in but if I can get there I would love to go to every game.
I agree it's a great concept but why wouldn't you play it at ANZ stadium where you can get over 80,000 fans and the playing surface is better and the majority of the sides are based in Sydney.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Magic Weekend is over 2 days and it's a lot easier for fans to get there compared to Suncorp. I will be shocked if it works in the NRL as it is set up now.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

gergreg wrote: October 26, 2018, 8:03 am
Bay53 wrote:

I agree it's a great concept but why wouldn't you play it at ANZ stadium where you can get over 80,000 fans and the playing surface is better and the majority of the sides are based in Sydney.

It is being played in Brisbane because the Queensland Government put up money for it and it was seen as compensation for the decision to continue to play the Grand Final in Sydney for the long term including when ANZ Stadium is being either upgraded or rebuilt.

From an economic point of view it does have the potential to be bigger than the grand final with fans of all 16 teams converging on a city to watch their team as well as catch a number of other games.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

edwahu wrote: October 26, 2018, 8:25 am Magic Weekend is over 2 days and it's a lot easier for fans to get there compared to Suncorp. I will be shocked if it works in the NRL as it is set up now.
Agree. We have 16 teams so 8 games was probably always going to be played over at least 3 days. They could have fitted all 8 games between 6pm Friday and 6-7pm Sunday.

I think that was the original plan but I think channel 9 have demanded a Thursday night game in preference to what probably either needed to be noon Sunday or 6pm Sunday or 1pm Saturday.

Having said that I think it can be a great success.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

As an interstate fan I'm a fan of the Magic Round concept.
It's an enticing round to travel to, I hope the concept is kept
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine