2018 in review - Shannon Boyd

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the thirteenth instalment of 2018 in review. As usual, now the Raiders' season is done, we are reviewing all 25 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2018. So far, we've looked at Jack Wighton, Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, Jordan Rapana, Blake Austin, Aidan Sezer, Sam Williams, Junior Paulo, Sia Soliola, Josh Hodgson and Siliva Havili.

Prop Shannon Boyd made 21 appearances in season 2018 - missing three matches after he suffered a calf injury in the miraculous comeback win over the Bulldogs at Belmore in Round 17. He started the season with a bang, given the opportunity as starting prop, while Junior Paulo started on the bench. But by Round 5, the roles had reversed - given a very poor performance against the Sea Eagles. He ended up making 14 appearances in the starting team, and seven off the bench.

He took man of the match honours in the first two rounds of the season in Fans' Choice voting - and again in the Round 9 victory over the Titans. I rated him an "8" in Round 1, when he made 13 runs for 146 metres gained and 16 tackles at the Gold Coast. It was a season high for running metres - but he almost matched that when the Titans visited Canberra. I again rated him an "8" in that Round 9 match. He scored one try and made 13 runs for 142 metres, five tackle breaks, two line breaks and 19 tackles. It was probably his best game of the season.

Ironically, he signed with the Titans shortly after that match - on a four year deal reportedly worth $2.4 million. In the second half of the season, his performances tailed off significantly - and to be blunt, he was another prop who played like he was in the departure lounge. I rated him an average 6/10 for his 21 games - but rated him a "5" in four games and a "4" in one in the second half of the year... from a total nine matches.

Boyd's average minutes fell slightly in 2018, from around 40 minutes to 35. His average metres (89) and tackles (20) per match were roughly in line with 2017. But his best games show he has the capability to contribute more - and play more consistently, week to week. There are many NRL props who averaged more than the 100 metres gained mark. His total runs and running metres declined - but he lifted his average metres per carry (9.6). His metres per run, however, were still outside the top 10 NRL props. He also produced a couple of memorable line breaks this year - after failing to produce one in 2017 - and lifted his tackle breaks (22 for 2018, compared with 12 in 2017).

His total tackles declined. However, he improved his tackle efficiency rate on 2017 (rising from 90 to 92 per cent) and cut his missed tackles in half. That gives him an efficiency rate that's just short of the top 10 NRL props. His error count and discipline, in terms of penalties conceded, continued to be good.

Boyd's size means he doesn't play big minutes - and it is clear the Raiders have decided that they need a more mobile pack, with forwards who can play longer minutes. Boyd was reportedly seeking a contract that reflected his status as a former Kangaroos prop - and the Titans were prepared to pay that. However, he hasn't played for Australia since the 2016 Four Nations final - and his form in the past two seasons really hasn't justified his selection. For mine, the club has made the right call in refusing to match the big dollars put on the table by the Gold Coast. It is always sad to lose a local junior, however, and I'm sure all Raiders fans will be wishing Boyd the best for his future career.

How did you rate Shannon Boyd's 2018? Tell us below.

Shannon Boyd's 2018: 5.5/10

2018 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 21
Average minutes: 35
Tries: 1
Try assists: 0
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 1
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0m
Total runs: 195
All run metres: 1869
Average metres per carry: 9.6m
Average metres per game: 89m
Tackle breaks: 22
Offloads: 2
Line breaks: 2
Tackles: 421
Average tackles per game: 20
1 on 1 tackles: 13
Missed tackles: 15
Average missed tackles per game: 0.7
Tackle efficiency: 92 per cent
Try causes: 2
Errors: 5
Penalties conceded: 11
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: 2018 in review - Shannon Boyd

Post by Matt »

35min avg for your starting prop is pathetic! Some of that is on Ricky and his coaching staff, but thats awful. If he is only playing that many minutes, it better be off the bench either side of halftime.

His first and last month this year were good, but clocked off/ coasted through the middle. Not good enough.

I wouldn't rate him a 5.5, but Id rate him marginally higher than Jr. I think I gave Jr a 3, so lets say 3.5 for Boyd
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

4/10 and he earned 3 of those in the first 3 weeks.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He signed with the Gold Coast then promised to empty the tank.

He didn't.

2/10
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Yeah 4/10 seems fair. He really regressed big time this season.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Emptied the tank, couldn't ask much more of him than that.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

A point better than Hodgson? These ratings are from another planet.

2 out of 10, and 1 of those points is because he had the good grace to depart the club.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger... If Hodgson played a full season as he did in 11 games he’d be getting an 8 or even a nine. That’s what my rating represents. But he only played 11 games. Boyd’s 5.5 compares with that.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Did he make Bruce a fortress?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Roger... If Hodgson played a full season as he did in 11 games he’d be getting an 8 or even a nine. That’s what my rating represents. But he only played 11 games. Boyd’s 5.5 compares with that.
Didn't Havili get a 5.5?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

OK... here's my simplistic mathematical solution...

The issue is how best to give appropriate weighting to performances in games played, and the total contribution to the season. So I've manipulated my ratings in two ways.

First, I take total points for the season, and convert them to an imaginary score per match, assuming that the player played all 24 games. I then take the actual average scores per match... and average the two scores. This gives equal weighting to the two.

These are the results:

Josh Papalii 6.9
Nick Cotric 6.5
Elliott Whitehead 6.5
Sia Soliola 6.3
Jordan Rapana 6.2
Joey Leilua 6.1
Siliva Havili 5.9
Joe Tapine 5.8
Shannon Boyd 5.6
Dunamis Lui 5.6
Blake Austin 5.6
Luke Bateman 5.4
Josh Hodgson 5.2
Junior Paulo 5.2
Jarrod Croker 5.2
Jack Wighton 5.0
Aidan Sezer 5.0
Sam Williams 4.5
Michael Oldfield 3.5
Emre Guler 3.4
Liam Knight 3.1
Brad Abbey 3.1
Jack Murchie 2.7
Charlie Gubb 2.4
Ata Hingano 2.1

Second, I reduce the weighting given to total points for the season by multiplying the imaginary score per match (which assumes all players played 24 games) by 1.5 - and average this score with the actual averages per match.

Josh Papalii 8.6
Nick Cotric 8.1
Elliott Whitehead 8.1
Sia Soliola 7.9
Joey Leilua 7.7
Jordan Rapana 7.7
Siliva Havili 7.4
Dunamis Lui 7.0
Joe Tapine 6.9
Shannon Boyd 6.9
Blake Austin 6.9
Luke Bateman 6.7
Junior Paulo 6.3
Jarrod Croker 6.2
Aidan Sezer 6.1
Josh Hodgson 6.1
Jack Wighton 5.9
Sam Williams 5.3
Michael Oldfield 3.9
Emre Guler 3.6
Liam Knight 3.6
Brad Abbey 3.5
Jack Murchie 2.8
Charlie Gubb 2.6
Ata Hingano 2.4

I could choose a different weighting... 1.25... and these are the results:

Josh Papalii 7.7
Nick Cotric 7.3
Elliott Whitehead 7.3
Sia Soliola 7.1
Jordan Rapana 6.9
Joey Leilua 6.9
Siliva Havili 6.7
Joe Tapine 6.4
Dunamis Lui 6.3
Shannon Boyd 6.3
Blake Austin 6.2
Luke Bateman 6.1
Junior Paulo 5.8
Jarrod Croker 5.7
Josh Hodgson 5.6
Aidan Sezer 5.5
Jack Wighton 5.5
Sam Williams 4.9
Michael Oldfield 3.7
Emre Guler 3.5
Liam Knight 3.3
Brad Abbey 3.3
Jack Murchie 2.8
Charlie Gubb 2.5
Ata Hingano 2.3

Here are the ratings so far:

Nick Cotric 7
Jordan Rapana 7
Sia Soliola 6.5
Joey Leilua 6.5
Jarrod Croker 6
Shannon Boyd 5.5
Junior Paulo 5.5
Siliva Havili 5.5
Aidan Sezer 5.5
Blake Austin 5
Sam Williams 5
Josh Hodgson 4.5
Jack Wighton 4

So my conclusion is... I may have been a bit harsh on Hodgson and Wighton... but maybe harsh on Blake Austin, Shannon Boyd and Junior Paulo... while I've been generous to players in the outside backs... depending on which weightings you like!

Comments, views? Which methodology do you like?
grizzly29
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: alan tongue

Post by grizzly29 »

Both Boyd and Paulo were equally useless this year. When a player signs a big money deal, they usually don't perform in their last year, saw the same thing with Angus Crichton at souths.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I like the methodology where you just give them a score that is commensurate with their 2018 season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Pigman wrote: October 11, 2018, 2:29 pm I like the methodology where you just give them a score that is commensurate with their 2018 season.
That’s what I’ve been doing so far and no one seems to like it.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: October 11, 2018, 2:33 pm
Pigman wrote: October 11, 2018, 2:29 pm I like the methodology where you just give them a score that is commensurate with their 2018 season.
That’s what I’ve been doing so far and no one seems to like it.
Doesn't matter which system you use, how you explain it, or even if its valid, people will have varying opinions.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’ll just keep giving my best opinion then!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good meters per hitup at 9.6, terrible metres per game at 89 and average tackles at 20 - based on playing an average of 35 minutes per match.

That's incredibly horrendous output from an Australian rep front rower.

Didn't watch enough games to give him a rating for the entire season, but he was dead set one of the biggest disappointments of the entire NRL.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Comparing ability to performance, he was probably our worst player this year. He could be one of the best props in the game if he had the right mentality.

Glad he is leaving but I'd be happy to have him back if he can improve on his professionalism and work ethic.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It will be interesting to see how his career goes. He is on huge money for a player who has only averaged 40 minutes in a season once in his career and 35 last year. They do have a good middle in James, Arrow and Wallace, but still you would think they would want him to at least manage 40+ again.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

5/10

With a good 'ol

'Could do better if he tried'

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: October 11, 2018, 2:07 pm OK... here's my simplistic mathematical solution...

The issue is how best to give appropriate weighting to performances in games played, and the total contribution to the season. So I've manipulated my ratings in two ways.

First, I take total points for the season, and convert them to an imaginary score per match, assuming that the player played all 24 games. I then take the actual average scores per match... and average the two scores. This gives equal weighting to the two.

These are the results:

Josh Papalii 6.9
Nick Cotric 6.5
Elliott Whitehead 6.5
Sia Soliola 6.3
Jordan Rapana 6.2
Joey Leilua 6.1
Siliva Havili 5.9
Joe Tapine 5.8
Shannon Boyd 5.6
Dunamis Lui 5.6
Blake Austin 5.6
Luke Bateman 5.4
Josh Hodgson 5.2
Junior Paulo 5.2
Jarrod Croker 5.2
Jack Wighton 5.0
Aidan Sezer 5.0
Sam Williams 4.5
Michael Oldfield 3.5
Emre Guler 3.4
Liam Knight 3.1
Brad Abbey 3.1
Jack Murchie 2.7
Charlie Gubb 2.4
Ata Hingano 2.1

Second, I reduce the weighting given to total points for the season by multiplying the imaginary score per match (which assumes all players played 24 games) by 1.5 - and average this score with the actual averages per match.

Josh Papalii 8.6
Nick Cotric 8.1
Elliott Whitehead 8.1
Sia Soliola 7.9
Joey Leilua 7.7
Jordan Rapana 7.7
Siliva Havili 7.4
Dunamis Lui 7.0
Joe Tapine 6.9
Shannon Boyd 6.9
Blake Austin 6.9
Luke Bateman 6.7
Junior Paulo 6.3
Jarrod Croker 6.2
Aidan Sezer 6.1
Josh Hodgson 6.1
Jack Wighton 5.9
Sam Williams 5.3
Michael Oldfield 3.9
Emre Guler 3.6
Liam Knight 3.6
Brad Abbey 3.5
Jack Murchie 2.8
Charlie Gubb 2.6
Ata Hingano 2.4

I could choose a different weighting... 1.25... and these are the results:

Josh Papalii 7.7
Nick Cotric 7.3
Elliott Whitehead 7.3
Sia Soliola 7.1
Jordan Rapana 6.9
Joey Leilua 6.9
Siliva Havili 6.7
Joe Tapine 6.4
Dunamis Lui 6.3
Shannon Boyd 6.3
Blake Austin 6.2
Luke Bateman 6.1
Junior Paulo 5.8
Jarrod Croker 5.7
Josh Hodgson 5.6
Aidan Sezer 5.5
Jack Wighton 5.5
Sam Williams 4.9
Michael Oldfield 3.7
Emre Guler 3.5
Liam Knight 3.3
Brad Abbey 3.3
Jack Murchie 2.8
Charlie Gubb 2.5
Ata Hingano 2.3

Here are the ratings so far:

Nick Cotric 7
Jordan Rapana 7
Sia Soliola 6.5
Joey Leilua 6.5
Jarrod Croker 6
Shannon Boyd 5.5
Junior Paulo 5.5
Siliva Havili 5.5
Aidan Sezer 5.5
Blake Austin 5
Sam Williams 5
Josh Hodgson 4.5
Jack Wighton 4

So my conclusion is... I may have been a bit harsh on Hodgson and Wighton... but maybe harsh on Blake Austin, Shannon Boyd and Junior Paulo... while I've been generous to players in the outside backs... depending on which weightings you like!

Comments, views? Which methodology do you like?
I just like the idea of the average score for when the player was on the park. I don't think we really need to factor in games missed through injury into your score beyond maybe taking a half point or point off if they missed half a season.

All for a more strict penalty if the missed games were their own fault.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

T_R wrote: October 11, 2018, 6:32 pm 5/10

With a good 'ol

'Could do better if he tried'
Reminds me of my report cards
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@Roger... But I give the average score per match already anyway.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Remember that game after he signed with the Titooons and said he'd empty the tank, and then he did?

No. Me either.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

There's the door pal
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Pigman wrote: October 16, 2018, 7:49 pm Remember that game after he signed with the Titooons and said he'd empty the tank, and then he did?

No. Me either.
:lol: