2018 in review - Josh Hodgson

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the eleventh instalment of 2018 in review. As usual, now the Raiders' season is done, we are reviewing all 25 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2018. So far, we've looked at Jack Wighton, Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, Jordan Rapana, Blake Austin, Aidan Sezer, Sam Williams, Junior Paulo and Sia Soliola.

Hooker Josh Hodgson suffered an ACL injury in the World Cup semi final between England and Tonga in late November last year - and immediately, the Raiders' hopes for the 2018 season took a nose dive. He had just been re-signed by the club on a four year deal. With the retirement of Adam Clydsdale, the release of youngster Erin Clark for personal reasons, and the subsequent release of Kurt Baptiste due to salary cap pressures, the Raiders' dummy half stocks were seriously depleted. Canberra signed Siliva Havili and Craig Garvey in an attempt to cover the losses - but in reality, it was impossible to replace a player of the quality of Hodgson.

He returned to the field in Round 15 in the match up with the Wests Tigers at Canberra Stadium - as early as could be expected, due to his diligent approach to his rehabilitation. He made an immediate impact, despite starting off the bench. I rated him an "8" in that comeback match, after making four runs for 40 metres and producing two try assists, two line break assists, one off load, 20 tackles and 101 kicking metres in just 46 minutes. By my count, he should have been credited with three try assists. He backed that up with another 8/10 rating in the loss to the Broncos the following week, delivering one try, four runs for 32 metres, two tackle breaks, one line break, one off load, 43 tackles and 120 kicking metres. He was man of the match in Fans' Choice voting for both of those games.

With the season ending injury to Jarrod Croker, Hodgson took over the captaincy in the Round 19 match against the Sharks - and he again rated an "8". He produced one try assist, 10 runs for 77 metres, four tackle breaks, one line break assist and topped the tackle count (50). His fourth "8" came in the Round 24 victory over the Rabbitohs, making six runs for 23 metres, one line break assist, two try assists and 27 tackles.

I rated him an average of 7.2/10 in his 11 appearances - and no Raiders player scored higher in 2018. My overall score for the season only reflects the fact he played less than half the season. Despite playing limited matches, he was equal fifth at the Raiders for total try involvements and first for try assists. No NRL hooker produced more try assists, and he ranked third for total try involvements behind Cameron Smith and Damien Cook. He ranked first amongst NRL hookers for total try involvements (1.5) and line break assists (0.9) per match. Those are insane numbers. His running game was a little down on 2017, though his average dummy half runs per match were slightly up. This season he averaged 26 metres per match (40 metres in 2017) and 7.8 metres per carry (8.4 metres in 2017).

Hodgson does a lot of work in defence, topping the tackle count per match at the Raiders. However, he was a fair way down the list of his NRL hooker peers for average tackles per game. His tackle efficiency rate (88 per cent) could be better, with many regular hookers with tackle efficiency rates in the 90s. He ranks in the top five NRL hookers for average missed tackles (3.1) and line break causes per match. But he's also well down the list for try causes per game. He ranked 10th amongst NRL hookers for errors and ninth for penalties conceded per game. So there are still some things to work on before next season.

After missing England's mid season Denver Test due to his ACL injury, Hodgson has been selected in the England squad to face France and New Zealand later this year. He will doubtless be their first choice hooker. Hopefully, he stays healthy and injury free. If he makes 24 appearances for the Raiders in 2019, and he continues in his current vein of form, the Green Machine should have a much better season.

How did you rate Josh Hodgson's 2018? Tell us below.

Josh Hodgson's 2018: 4.5/10

2018 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 11
Average minutes: 76.9
Tries: 1
Try assists: 13
Try contributions: 2
Total try involvements: 16
Total kicks: 35
Kick metres: 870m
Average kicking metres per match: 79
40/20’s: 0
Forced drop outs: 2
Kicks dead: 1
Kick errors: 6
Total runs: 37
Dummy half runs: 27
All run metres: 288
Average metres per carry: 7.8m
Average metres per game: 26m
Tackle breaks: 12
Offloads: 5
Line breaks: 1
Line break assists: 10
Tackles: 379
Average tackles per game: 34.5
1 on 1 tackles: 13
Missed tackles: 34
Average missed tackles per game: 3.1
Tackle efficiency: 88 per cent
Try causes: 3
Errors: 7
Penalties conceded: 9
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: 2018 in review - Josh Hodgson

Post by -TW- »

4.5 is about right

7/10 for the games he played, minus the ones he missed
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

5/10 due to the injury mostly, I'd agree it was 7/10 when he played. His attacking stats embarrass our halves.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I fully understand the score as far as only playing half a season BUT...
In that half a season:
1. Hodgson had 3 more try assists than any other hooker.
2. He was 2nd in line break assists to Cook, with 10 in his 11 games.
3. He ended up "5th" in kick meters with 870. As it is Smith 1st with 3719, Daylight "2nd", Luke 3rd with 1181, Cam McInnes 4th with 948.
4. He was on track to be a top 5 or 6 tackling hooker too.

His 34 missed tackles in 11 games is a worry, but lateral movement issues after an ACL is common.

He crammed a hell of a record into only half a season. I reckon he was better than a 7 in that half a season too, maybe 7.5? As such I would be very tempted to rate him higher than 4.5 even with games played factored in for an overall score. For the same reason I suggested Wighton's 4 was a little harsh, and that Id go 5, Hodgson was easy one of our best players for his half a season, so at least a 5, maybe 5.5.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I don't understand why a player rating is effected by injury. What are we judging him on when he didn't play? How well he clapped from the sideline?
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

7/10. He earned his salary which is more than most.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Bae.

Always Bae... even though i love Cotric. And maybe i'd stray for a prolonged affair, but Bae. Always Bae.
Cam Smith is the best i've ever seen, he's about to retire. I appreciate a lot of Cook's game... would i trade Bae for Cook? Not at all. Not even a little bit.
I think we've got the best hooker in the game after Cam Smith
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Matt wrote: October 9, 2018, 2:24 pm I fully understand the score as far as only playing half a season BUT...
In that half a season:
1. Hodgson had 3 more try assists than any other hooker.
2. He was 2nd in line break assists to Cook, with 10 in his 11 games.
3. He ended up "5th" in kick meters with 870. As it is Smith 1st with 3719, Daylight "2nd", Luke 3rd with 1181, Cam McInnes 4th with 948.
4. He was on track to be a top 5 or 6 tackling hooker too.

His 34 missed tackles in 11 games is a worry, but lateral movement issues after an ACL is common.

He crammed a hell of a record into only half a season. I reckon he was better than a 7 in that half a season too, maybe 7.5? As such I would be very tempted to rate him higher than 4.5 even with games played factored in for an overall score. For the same reason I suggested Wighton's 4 was a little harsh, and that Id go 5, Hodgson was easy one of our best players for his half a season, so at least a 5, maybe 5.5.
Yeah, I agree. I reckon his half season was of a very high standard (not even adjusting for the fact he was returning from injury) and his overall impact on the season was higher than 4.5.

I know it’s the system but a bench forward who doesn’t do much or a starter who stinks would get 4.5 so a guy who won games single-handedly and dominated others surely scores higher. I’d rather Hodgson for eleven games and a three-man bench for the rest of the season than a full season without him. No contest between those scenarios even if the bench guy missing out is a 6/10 guy.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I've never seen a player come back from a knee reco like Hodgson. In any sport. Ever.

His game against the Tigers was one of the most remarkable things I have ever seen.

I give him one zillion points just for that.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 9, 2018, 9:18 pm I've never seen a player come back from a knee reco like Hodgson. In any sport. Ever.

His game against the Tigers was one of the most remarkable things I have ever seen.

Hahahahaha. Exactly!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

#hodgorocks

11/10
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Seiffert82 wrote: October 9, 2018, 9:18 pm I've never seen a player come back from a knee reco like Hodgson. In any sport. Ever.

Fair assessment. I have vague memories of players looking okay in their first game back but then struggling for the rest of the season and to begin the next.

4.5/10

:roflmao
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Best hooker we have had since Walters. Will have to take even more responsibility next year. He is also the reason I am not convinced we need a dominant half - if we have two halves that can tackle, take the occasional kick and give ball to our outside men, Hodgson can provide a lot of the creativity we need.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

NFL running back Adrian Peterson had ACL surgery, returned 9 months later to start week 1, 2012 and rushed for 2097 yards, the single season record is 2105. He won the MVP. That was far and away the best ACL comeback i've ever seen.

Hodgson would rank (an admittedly distant) second in my ACL come back rankings
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

It was promising to see just how well both Josh Hodgson and Dunamis Lui both from their ACL injuries
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 10, 2018, 7:57 am

Fair assessment. I have vague memories of players looking okay in their first game back but then struggling for the rest of the season and to begin the next.

4.5/10

Roger... as outlined in the article, I rated him a 7.2/10 over his season, which is the highest of any player. But I'll also look at the total points. Josh Hodgson tallied a total 79 points, compared with 162 points for Josh Papalii. I can't calibrate it perfectly, but I give it my best shot.

I do like hearing the different views, regardless.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

greeneyed wrote: October 10, 2018, 9:12 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 10, 2018, 7:57 am

4.5/10

Roger... as outlined in the article, I rated him a 7.2/10 over his season, which is the highest of any player. But I'll also look at the total points. Josh Hodgson tallied a total 79 points, compared with 162 points for Josh Papalii. I can't calibrate it perfectly, but I give it my best shot.

I do like hearing the different views, regardless.
I'd say maybe a 1 point penalty for missing half the season is sufficient. No way you can argue Sezer had a more positive year than Hodgson, yet he beats him by 10% in the rankings.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think Hodgo was a 6. Very creative player and leader. I hope he is at least co-Captain next year. Had some defensive issues which were not helped by some props looking like they were stuck on fly paper. Reads the game very well. He is always going to be a defensive target because sides want to take the gas out of him by making him tackle. A fully fit Hodgo to start the season will be a big boost for the Raiders.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Pigman wrote: October 10, 2018, 8:53 am NFL running back Adrian Peterson had ACL surgery, returned 9 months later to start week 1, 2012 and rushed for 2097 yards, the single season record is 2105. He won the MVP. That was far and away the best ACL comeback i've ever seen.

Hodgson would rank (an admittedly distant) second in my ACL come back rankings
Not bad. Peterson is obviously a freak (and not bad at a bit of DV on his 4 yo kid), however Hodgson came back straight into first grade 7 months after busting his knee, mid way into a season where every other player was up to speed, and blew the opposition off the park.

Each to their own, but coming straight back into grade and being the best player on the field after 7 months is incredible.