2018 in review - Sia Soliola

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the tenth instalment of 2018 in review. As usual, now the Raiders' season is done, we are reviewing all 25 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2018. So far, we've looked at Jack Wighton, Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, Jordan Rapana, Blake Austin, Aidan Sezer, Sam Williams and Junior Paulo.

Sia Soliola is often referred to as the spiritual leaders of the Canberra Raiders, such is his influence at Raiders HQ. He is now 32 years of age... and a couple of years ago, some Raiders fans were questioning whether father time was starting to catch up with him. No longer. When he joined the Raiders in 2015 - the year he won the Meninga Medal - he predominantly played as an edge forward. But in 2018, he spent much of the year at in the middle, and arguably finished the season as the club's No. 1 prop.

He appeared in 24 matches in 2018, playing off the bench just three times. He started at prop in 12 matches, at second row in seven and lock and centre in one apiece. That contrasts starkly with 2017 when he started in just nine games - four at lock, four in the second row, and one at prop - and came off the bench in 10 matches.

In 2018, Soliola ranked second amongst the Raiders forwards for runs made and metres gained, behind Josh Papalii - but ranked equal fifth for average metres gained per match. He was well down the list for average metres per run, tackle breaks and offloads. His total runs and metres gained rose significantly on 2017, though his average metres per match and metres per carry were similar in both years.

In defence, he finished second to Elliott Whitehead for most tackles made at the club - but ranked sixth amongst the forwards for average tackles per match. His tackle efficiency rate (88 per cent) could have been better and average missed tackles per match rose slightly. However, he signficantly reduced his try causes, from 10 in 2017, to just four this season. His error count and penalties conceded aren't high, but he'd probably like to reduce them in 2019.

I rated Soliola 6.3/10 on average through the season. I rated him an "8" in the Round 9 victory over the Gold Coast Titans. He produced one try, a season high 170 metres from 17 runs, one line break, two offloads and 20 tackles. I also rated him an "8" in the Round 24 win over the Rabbitohs - and he was man of the match in Fan's Choice voting. In that game, he scored one try, made 15 runs for 131 metres, 40 post contact metres, three tackles breaks, one line break and topped the tackle count for the Raiders with 29.

Overall, it was a very solid season from Soliola - and he clearly lifted his work rate and involvement. Like fine wine, he's getting better with age. How did you rate Sia Soliola's 2018? Tell us below.

Sia Soliola's 2018: 6.5/10

2018 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 24
Average minutes: 59
Tries: 4
Try assists: 1
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 5
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0m
Total runs: 232
All run metres: 1933
Average metres per carry: 8.3m
Average metres per game: 80m
Tackle breaks: 18
Offloads: 7
Line breaks: 5
Line break assists: 1
Tackles: 592
Average tackles per game: 24.7
1 on 1 tackles: 40
Missed tackles: 51
Average missed tackles per game: 2.1
Tackle efficiency: 88 per cent
Try causes: 4
Line break causes: 11
Errors: 11
Penalties conceded: 11
edwahu

Re: 2018 in review - Sia Soliola

Post by edwahu »

6/10 - pretty good season overall, he was usually a positive contributor on both the edge and middle.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

He probably deserved more than 6-6.5, due to the intangibles he adds to the side. For instance, if you refer to the 'tackle of the year' nominations, he is 60% of them, and of those 2 or 3 are try savers, with only 1 'big hit'.

He was our best prop this season, even if he played a lot of edge backrow to end the yr. He also had a game or 2 at centre.

However, Im happy with a 6-ish.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Thought he had a great season - really bounced back from last year.

His leadership and energy on the field is invaluable.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

agreed, thought he lead from the front, particularly in defence. Our line speed was an issue all year, and the only times it looks OK was when Sia led the charge.
He had a rotten 2016, and at this point of his career i had wondered if he was done, but to kind of put the under-performing middle on his shoulders and carry it as best he could was really pretty impressive.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Happy with a 6, thought he would continue the spiral this year

Happy to be proved wrong
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He had a good season, I give him 6.5

My wife gives him a 10..she loves Sia.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

-PJ- wrote:He had a good season, I give him 6.5

My wife gives him a 10..she loves Sia.
Same.

Mrs Dubby LOVES Sia. He's a true gentlemen.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.