2018 in review - Sam Williams

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the eighth instalment of 2018 in review. As usual, now the Raiders' season is done, we are reviewing all 25 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2018. So far, we've looked at Jack Wighton, Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, Jordan Rapana, Blake Austin and Aidan Sezer.

Sam Williams returned to the Canberra Raiders for a third time in 2018, after spending the 2017 season in the Super League with Wakefield Trinity. He made 14 appearances in first grade, and six for the Raiders' NSW Premiership affiliate, Mounties. He started the season at halfback, playing the first five rounds, partnered first by Blake Austin and then Aidan Sezer. However, he was injured in the Round 5 win over the Canterbury Bulldogs, suffering medial ligament damage.

It was thought he could spend up to six weeks on the sideline, but he returned from injury early, playing in Mounties Round 10 clash with the Newtown Jets. However he did not get a recall to the NRL side until the Round 17 match up with the Bulldogs at Belmore - replacing Blake Austin five eighth, who was dropped to the bench. He retained his place the starting team for the remaining matches of the season, moving to halfback in Round 20 to cover the injured Aidan Sezer.

I rated him a "5" in five matches though the season, and "4" in one, the Round 4 thrashing at the hands of the Sea Eagles. I did not give him more than a "7" rating. His best game was probably the Round 1 match against the Gold Coast Titans, when he produced 2 runs for 19 metres gained, 21 tackles, two try assists and 177 kicking metres. His average rating through the year was 5.6/10.

Williams is a good organiser and kicker, outstanding at NSW Premiership level - but he can go missing at times. His defence is the thing that lets him down. It is not the result of any lack of effort, desire or courage, but other players can take advantage of his body size. He's probably the best half any club could have as a back-up. He's a player I really like, given his enthusiasm, his willingness to contribute and his good nature. He was a worthy nominee for the Ken Stephen Medal this year for his charity work. But he's probably not the long term answer as a first choice half.

Williams averaged around one try involvement per game, ranking equal fourth at the club, behind Josh Hodgson, Aidan Sezer and Jack Wighton. He was outside the top 10 NRL halfbacks on every attacking statistic (on averages per match). Williams was towards the bottom of the list of halves for running metres per match, metres per run, and line breaks and tackle breaks per match.

His kicking is a relative strength, producing two 40/20s - which is as good as any other player in the league. However, was well below the benchmark amongst NRL half backs for forced line drop outs and kicking metres (averages per match). He's a very capable goal kicker and he took over in that department when captain Jarrod Croker was injured. His goal kicking success rate (83 per cent) was better than both Croker and Aidan Sezer. He was also in the top 10 players in the league for field goals - kicking two for the season. Given the field goal drought at the Raiders, that was a plus.

In defence, Williams was equal fifth at the Raiders for try causes (11) and fourth for missed tackles per match. His tackle efficiency rate (80 per cent) was not too bad, but the benchmark for NRL half backs is 88 per cent. He conceded just under one error and one penalty per match. That error rate is low, compared with other NRL halves - but he's in the top five of NRL halves for penalties conceded per match.

Overall, Williams probably finished the season ranked the No. 2 half at the club, behind Aidan Sezer. But, as mentioned, I'm not sure he's a long term solution. Unless a top line half drops into the club's lap, like manna from heaven, I can see Ricky Stuart bringing Jack Wighton into five eighth to partner Aidan Sezer in 2019 - and putting Nick Cotric or Jordan Rapana at fullback. Whatever happens, however, Williams will certainly compete hard for a spot and is the sort of player you want at your club. At the very least, he provides very good depth in a critical position.

How did you rate Sam Williams' 2018? Tell us below.

Sam Williams' 2018: 5/10

2018 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 14
Average minutes: 77.5
Tries: 2
Goals: 25
Goal kicking percentage: 83
Field goals: 2
Try assists: 8
Try contributions: 3
Total try involvements: 12
Total kicks: 80
Kick metres: 1981m
Average kick metres per match: 141m
40/20’s: 2
Forced drop outs: 5
Kicks dead: 1
Kick errors: 5
Total runs: 36
All run metres: 259
Average metres per carry: 7.2m
Average metres per game: 18m
Tackle breaks: 2
Offloads: 5
Line breaks: 1
Line break assists: 7
Tackles: 188
Average tackles per game: 13.4
1 on 1 tackles: 22
Missed tackles: 36
Average missed tackles per game: 2.6
Tackle efficiency: 80 per cent
Try causes: 11
Errors: 11
Penalties conceded: 11
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: 2018 in review - Sam Williams

Post by Dusty »

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

He only played half the season so im wondering how this was factored in? (Not trying to nit pick GE)

I think he was a touch behind Sezer this season, so if we are say he was a 5.5, Sammy is a 5. However, IMO is 5 and 4.5.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sorry, it was supposed to be a 5, corrected. I might have been a bit generous, but given the number of appearances, but he made a good contribution to the club, and was very strong at Mounties in his six appearances. He probably should have been brought back to first grade earlier.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

4/10. He is our best half with the ball but that's only half the game.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Williams tried hard for us this year. My main problem with him as a first choice half is not effort or ability. It is the fact he doesn't seem capable physically for consistent NRL. Watching him run back after some conversion attempts late in the season he deadset looked busted and in need of laying down for a while. Great as a next cab off the rank though. Unfortunately it appears he will be a first stringer next year.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

I love Sam

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We've hoed this road a few times now and it never works. We gotta find an upgrade.
I'm sure he's a lovely bloke and he does try hard, and he's had games where you see it and get enticed by it. He's really one of those dudes who is too good for reserve grade but not NRL standard. ESL seems like the place to be for him, but if you have him as a back up half, you feel good about that

But we cant throw another season away with him as a starter, we know what that is. His 2018 season was no different to his entire career, he gives up more than he gets you. His general halves play was no different to the other halves - simply not up to scratch.
I cant give him a pass mark, I'd say 3/10.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Sam is eking the most out of what he’s got and can be a very useful player for the club but we cannot be successful with him as starting half unless the other one is Australian rep level. Which he isn’t.

Wighton at five-eighth is the only option I see for 2019. Could fail but it’s worth attempting. At least it won’t fail due to poor defence.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

He is the number 3 guy in the squad and was better than they two guys ahead of him. 6/10
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

6/10 more try involvements than try causes. He looked busted in the game against Souths which we won. After he would take the shot for goal his labored movement in his run to get back on side was a dead giveaway. There was something wrong, possibly back or hip. Didn't stop him kicking goals at a high percentage though.

I think our defensive line will be more athletic next year. This will mean Sam will not be isolated as often as this year. I thought his tactical kicking fine within our side. The Raiders were the second top try scorer in the league. This meant we were scoring tries when other sides were playing for line drop outs. As a general principle I'll go with try scoring as the first option.

I would like to see what new Australian half DCE figures were. I suspect he produced a lot more forced drop outs but his side scored 12 tries fewer than the Raiders.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Williams has a good footy brain, but he always seems to be not fast enough/big enough to break through the line.

Ricky better be lining up Wighton or another half to be that solution next year, otherwise its over before it's started.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I wish some of you blokes were making me in school... handing out passing grades for any of our halves is unfathomable given their individual and collective level of performance. Sam Williams proved for a 3rd time he's a back up NRL half.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Seemed to get better as he went on, albeit off a pretty low base.

If he starts with Sezer, they'll probably the worst halves pairing in the game - just like Austin and Sezer were. Good guy and I would love to see him play his career out here, but he's a back up half and shouldn't be starting regularly.

We're in for more hurt next year me thinks.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Pigman wrote:I wish some of you blokes were making me in school... handing out passing grades for any of our halves is unfathomable given their individual and collective level of performance. Sam Williams proved for a 3rd time he's a back up NRL half.
*marking*

5/10 for spelling Image

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

HA! Mate on this grading scale that's a **** 8/10 post.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Pigman wrote:HA! Mate on this grading scale that's a **** 8/10 post.
Haha true!

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Pigman wrote: October 8, 2018, 7:10 pm HA! Mate on this grading scale that's a **** 8/10 post.
Unfortunately the range of marks are only 4-7. So you score a 6, but don't feel too bad as that's only a point behind Bill Shakespeare.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: Unfortunately the range of marks are only 4-7. So you score a 6, but don't feel too bad as that's only a point behind Bill Shakespeare.
I think it was last year that I butted heads with GE over this. Using averages over the season naturally collapses the scores into a narrow band.
w3b3d1g1
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by w3b3d1g1 »

Sam Williams better than Sezer!