2018 in review - Aidan Sezer

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the seventh instalment of 2018 in review. As usual, now the Raiders' season is done, we are reviewing all 25 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2018. So far, we've looked at Jack Wighton, Nick Cotric, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, Jordan Rapana and Blake Austin.

Aidan Sezer made 18 appearances for the Canberra Raiders in 2018. He started the first two matches on the bench in a utility role, part of the "three halves" strategy designed to cover the absence of hooker Josh Hodgson. However, it quickly became apparent that Sezer was not well suited to the hooker/utility spot - and that the "three halves" strategy was not working.

By Round 3, Sezer had been restored to the starting line up - at five eighth - before returning to his regular half back role in Round 6. He nailed down the No. 7 jersey after that, but the end of Sezer's year was affected by a hamstring injury, playing just one match after Round 18.

There is no doubt that Sezer's early season performances were affected by being shifted around. However, he had his ups and downs right through the year. I rated him a "5" in seven matches, and "4" in two. His best game of the year came in the Round 5 victory over the Bulldogs. I rated him an "8" in that match, after he produced two try assists, two runs for 12 metres, 13 tackles and 14 kicks for 315 metres. I rated him an average of 5.7/10 through the year.

Sezer ranked equal 10th for average try involvements per game amongst his NRL halfback peers - and eighth for average try assists. Despite playing only 18 games, he ranked first at the Raiders for total try involvements, and second to Josh Hodgson for try assists. Sezer's running game was down on 2017. He averaged 8.8 metres per carry this season, compared with 10.2 metres last year. He also averaged 22 metres gained per match in 2018, compared with 38 metres per match last year. He was outside the top 10 NRL halfbacks on both scores.

Sezer's kicking game probably improved overall. His kicking metres per match lifted, but were still low compared with his half back peers. He forced 10 line drop outs, compared with six in 2017. However, the Raiders produced fewer forced line drop outs than any team in the competition - and the short kicking game was still a problem. The likes of Thurston, Brooks, Norman and Reynolds produced 20 or more. Sezer's kicks dead and kick errors were low, and fell in 2018.

In defence, Sezer lifted his tackle efficiency rate to 81 per cent, compared with 78 per cent last year... that's good but still below the top regular halves, who had a rate in the high 80s. He produced only nine try causes - compared with 19 for Blake Austin. Defence is no doubt the main reason Sezer's contract was extended, while Austin has departed the club. Sezer's discipline was good, with relatively low errors and penalties conceded.

The loss of Josh Hodgson to injury put a lot more pressure on Aidan Sezer this year. Not only was he moved around, he had to carry a lot more burden amongst the Raiders' playmakers. The spine should be a lot more settled in 2019, and Sezer should have more certainty around his role in the team. He's probably under-rated in terms of his contribution to Canberra's attack - which was the second best in the league in 2018. But he will need to lift his consistency next season. That is something he's struggled with since joining the club from the Gold Coast Titans. At his best, he's a very good player. Hopefully 2019 will be the year in which he can consistently hit his peak form.

How did you rate Aidan Sezer's 2018? Tell us below.

Aidan Sezer's 2018: 5.5/10

2018 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 18
Average minutes: 76.7
Tries: 2
Goals: 6
Goal kicking percentage: 75
Field goals: 1
Try assists: 12
Try contributions: 10
Total try involvements: 24
Total kicks: 130
Kick metres: 3388m
Average kick metres per match: 188m
40/20’s: 0
Forced drop outs: 10
Kicks dead: 3
Kick errors: 4
Total runs: 46
All run metres: 403
Average metres per carry: 8.8m
Average metres per game: 22m
Tackle breaks: 11
Offloads: 4
Line breaks: 2
Line break assists: 9
Tackles: 258
Average tackles per game: 14.3
1 on 1 tackles: 21
Missed tackles: 48
Average missed tackles per game: 2.7
Tackle efficiency: 81 per cent
Try causes: 9
Errors: 20
Penalties conceded: 8
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: 2018 in review - Aidan Sezer

Post by -TW- »

Had some moments, no consistency
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Had a few ok games but a few shockers, and otherwise was a non event. At least holds his own defensively though.
w3b3d1g1
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by w3b3d1g1 »

Absolute rubbish player. Get rid of him.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Would be an ok second fiddle half.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

5-5.5 is about right. Played less games than Austin, and out pointed him in most aspects. Played only a couple more than Sammy, and outplayed him too.

I also believe its testament to his character that he put his hand up to play hooker in Hodgos absence, even if it was a bit of a flop
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Like the other halves, his 2018 was not remotely in the realm of being good enough.
Struggled with consistency, in most games he was solid to non existent, and had a few absolute bludgers and i think 2 really good games...

5/10 would be a pass mark and i cant say Sezer or any of the halves got a pass mark for me in 2018

Poor halves play continues to dog Stuart where ever he goes.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

At his best he is a very good halfback.

If we had a decent coach we'd likely see more consistency from Sezer. Hopefully next season he is fully fit and isn't shuffled around a number of positions with different spine combinations throughout the year.

2018 was a complete dogs breakfast for our 9-7-6-1-14 combo and it showed.
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

3/10

Seems to have some fundamental issues in his game like drifting across field when he catches the ball closing the space for outside players. He rarely straightens up and takes off to keep the defence guessing, wouldn’t matter anyway he is so god damn slow.

Can’t kick a field goal to save himself nor does he have the nous to control the set by directing the forwards to the middle of the field.

Is that harsh?
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

4.5/10

Capable of an 8/10 in’19
I can feel something special building

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think 5.5 is about right. In terms of missed tackles per match he was fractionally worse than Sam Williams. But again I think the halves are being asked to bear the burden of defeat when there were others in the side far worse defensively. Some simply didn't try hard enough to get into position to make a tackle and therefore are not shown up in the stats - Blake Austin, BJ, JP.

I think Sezer and Sam and Hodgo will again be the 7,6 and 9. With a more athletic side I think we can improve enough defensively to give ourselves the opportunity to play better defensively and lift our position on the ladder.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We all know Sezer can play, but we ain't seeing it.

He's good enough but we need him to be great..right now !!

I'd be interested to read the "Sezer signs with Canberra" thread and see what we all thought about his ability back then.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

3.5/10.

Hard to see him ever being consistent. The concern is how he is given free reign to control us through kicking and game management. These are not his strengths, with the exception of 3 or 4 games with us he has shown no aptitude as a game managing half.

Less is more with Sezer IMO. If you could find a dominant half who is decent defensively and Sezer could take a backseat he'd be much better for it. Unfortunately there are probably only 10 players in the game that suit that description.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

This year Aiden Sezer established that he is the best half at our club. This is more a reflection on the (lack of) quality in our halves than the quality of his own performances.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

His biggest problem is and always will be that he simply doesn't have the brain of a half. No feel for the game whatsoever. Plays like he's rehearsed everything 1000 times at training, but ask him to deviate from that and he completely malfunctions. A manufactured player if there ever was one. No amount of coaching, confidence, or 'gelling' will be able to change that.

This belief some have that he showed way more up at the Titans is pure fallacy. He's a back up half, just like Williams and Hingano, but earning at least double more.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

5/10. He gets a pass mark because Ricky stuffed his pre-season by trying to turn him into a hooker.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont think it gets him a pass mark by any stretch of the imagination but **** me, that attempt to move Sezer to hooker is RIGHT **** there with Chris Anderson's attempts to Anasta into a fullback and the one marker policy

That should have marked the end of his coaching career.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

afgtnk wrote: October 8, 2018, 6:23 pm His biggest problem is and always will be that he simply doesn't have the brain of a half. No feel for the game whatsoever. Plays like he's rehearsed everything 1000 times at training, but ask him to deviate from that and he completely malfunctions. A manufactured player if there ever was one. No amount of coaching, confidence, or 'gelling' will be able to change that.

This belief some have that he showed way more up at the Titans is pure fallacy. He's a back up half, just like Williams and Hingano, but earning at least double more.
Similar to Cornish in the respect that he plays like everything has been rehearsed rather than trying to engage the defensive line.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pigman wrote: October 8, 2018, 6:52 pm I dont think it gets him a pass mark by any stretch of the imagination but **** me, that attempt to move Sezer to hooker is RIGHT **** there with Chris Anderson's attempts to Anasta into a fullback and the one marker policy

That should have marked the end of his coaching career.
It was Sticky's attempt to shoehorn 3 halves of similar level (i.e. bog average) into the side while we were without our hooker and primary playmaker. I can understand the philosophy and won't crucify Stick for trying. It didn't work and to be fair he didn't pursue it too long.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

If we can stick with a regular pairing in the halves, with Sezer at 5/8, he should have a better year in 2018. With a stable pair of halves in 2018 we should atleast see if Sezer is any good.