Ryley Jacks linked to Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Ryley Jacks linked to Canberra Raiders

Post by edwahu »

gangrenous wrote: September 25, 2018, 8:43 pm He’s a professional footballer, came back not prepared for the season and by the time he started playing well our season was dead.

As a senior player and a leader, that’s not good enough.
Yep, he got dropped for a reason. Half the forum was happy to ship him off. No way he was near our best players.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

edwahu wrote: September 25, 2018, 6:42 am
BigPapa wrote: September 25, 2018, 6:24 am If we can get Jacks at the right price there's no harm if he fails.
What if he plays 50 games and fails?
What if we play Williams and Sezer and run tenth again.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Timbo wrote: September 25, 2018, 8:50 pm
edwahu wrote: September 25, 2018, 6:42 am
BigPapa wrote: September 25, 2018, 6:24 am If we can get Jacks at the right price there's no harm if he fails.
What if he plays 50 games and fails?
What if we play Williams and Sezer and run tenth again.
That's kind of my point though, we have often played players who are failing for a lot longer than we should. So there is no zero risk signings for us.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

gangrenous wrote: September 25, 2018, 8:43 pm He’s a professional footballer, came back not prepared for the season and by the time he started playing well our season was dead.

As a senior player and a leader, that’s not good enough.
I think it would be fair to write it into the players contracts regarding off season fitness/weight levels. There should be a plus or minus weight gain weight loss clause based on the seasons average playing weight with financial penalties if it is deemed a lack of discipline led to the changes. Obviously illness can lead to weight loss. But addiction to the buffet should not be an excuse for a professional footballer. I don't think a regular weekly weigh in during the off season is too much to ask of full time professionals.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 25, 2018, 7:35 am If we were down to on defensive liability on the field, and could find a way to hide him more effectively, I'd go with Williams/Jacks to start the season.
I'd go with Williams/Jacks too RK. A balance is needed.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

I like "Ryley Jacks" as a name. Has a nice a "Marshall Chalk" vibe to it.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I would be going all out defence and be going with Seizer and Jacks.

In every position I would be thinking defence first.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Jacks/Williams doesn't solve the problem that plagued us all year long and ultimately cost us many games.
We can not give away another season because we have a half who loses us 4+ football games a year in defence. It's not that these guys are bad defenders in isolation, most halves are. It's that their decision making and consistency is so bad, their inside and outside men have no faith or confidence in them to do their job and panic themselves into mistakes. They basically render 1/4 of the defensive line a liability.

The reality is this club's halves arent up to scratch, even with Jacks there is no combination we can throw up that is in the top 12 for the league in terms of creative play or game management. We're not going to win that way and we dont need to, we were the 2nd best attacking team in the comp with a mixture of Sezer, Austin and Williams. And missing our hooker and fullback for large chunks of the year... we absolutely do not need balance. We need distribution, some kicking and players who can hold their own defensively. Right now, given the current construction of the team, the club needs to pick the halves who are not going to give games away because they cant defend.

And for the long term, the club needs to identify a young quality half, find a way to get him here and begin to build the roster differently around that player.

I think if i won the lottery, one of the things i'd like to do is spend some money on hiring a firm to investigate the super natural hold Sam Williams holds over this club and it's fan base.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Pretty much agree with all of that. The most crucial thing is keeping Wighton at 1 and Hodgson at 9 with our backs fit. That’s our points and creativity there. As pig said the halves just need to provide stability and solidity.

I was a huge fan of Williams. But that ship really has sailed. I like him as our back up but he’s just never kicked on.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Everyone loves Sam, because he's such a nice bloke. But I have to agree his defence is a problem, so if the Raiders do sign Jacks, the halves combination has to be Sezer and Jacks. And it will be a good defensive combination.
Bay 67
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Post by Bay 67 »

When your attack is the second best in the league but you finish 10th and a winger and your fullback have as many try assists as your two primary halves... buying a defensively sound half who can distribute the ball sounds like a good move to me.
Raiders Lime, what they really drink in the dressing room.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: September 26, 2018, 9:24 am Pretty much agree with all of that. The most crucial thing is keeping Wighton at 1 and Hodgson at 9 with our backs fit. That’s our points and creativity there. As pig said the halves just need to provide stability and solidity.

I was a huge fan of Williams. But that ship really has sailed. I like him as our back up but he’s just never kicked on.
The only reason people are considering moving Wighton is because of the defensive upgrade. So yeah if you can find a half who can kick adequately (not like you could do a lot worse than Williams, Austin or Sezer), can read the defence and distribute accordingly (the number of times our halves goes short to a lead runner crashing into bodies when the fullback has an overlap to work with is infuriating) and can tackle then this team is going to increase it's win total by at least 4 games and then Wighton can stay at fullback, and our edges can continue to be the driving force of our attack.

Kick to space, tackle well, get good, clean, early ball to the outside men. That's all we need from a half to be a pretty good team
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Prefer Jack at the back, and a solid, reliable half that can defend.

Sam is trying his best. He's just not up to it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

dubby wrote: September 26, 2018, 1:31 pm Prefer Jack at the back, and a solid, reliable half that can defend.

Sam has the right sort of footy brain, it just his skill level that doesn't match up. He's actually a very smart footy player, but doesn't have the takling ability, the speed to hit the gaps he sees, or the endurance to keep making the good decisions under fatigue towards the end of games.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Pigman wrote: September 26, 2018, 9:11 am Jacks/Williams doesn't solve the problem that plagued us all year long and ultimately cost us many games.
We can not give away another season because we have a half who loses us 4+ football games a year in defence. It's not that these guys are bad defenders in isolation, most halves are. It's that their decision making and consistency is so bad, their inside and outside men have no faith or confidence in them to do their job and panic themselves into mistakes. They basically render 1/4 of the defensive line a liability.

The reality is this club's halves arent up to scratch, even with Jacks there is no combination we can throw up that is in the top 12 for the league in terms of creative play or game management. We're not going to win that way and we dont need to, we were the 2nd best attacking team in the comp with a mixture of Sezer, Austin and Williams. And missing our hooker and fullback for large chunks of the year... we absolutely do not need balance. We need distribution, some kicking and players who can hold their own defensively. Right now, given the current construction of the team, the club needs to pick the halves who are not going to give games away because they cant defend.

And for the long term, the club needs to identify a young quality half, find a way to get him here and begin to build the roster differently around that player.

I think if i won the lottery, one of the things i'd like to do is spend some money on hiring a firm to investigate the super natural hold Sam Williams holds over this club and it's fan base.
Agree it's no silver bullet. But can you imagine a season of the ineptitude of Sezer and Jacks in attack? :roflmao
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: September 26, 2018, 1:37 pm
dubby wrote: September 26, 2018, 1:31 pm Prefer Jack at the back, and a solid, reliable half that can defend.

Sam has the right sort of footy brain, it just his skill level that doesn't match up. He's actually a very smart footy player, but doesn't have the takling ability, the speed to hit the gaps he sees, or the endurance to keep making the good decisions under fatigue towards the end of games.
^^^This.
I've said this a few times. I feel like/ it looks like, Williams reads the game really well, but just doesn't have the ability, be it skill or physical prowess, to execute.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 26, 2018, 3:10 pm
Pigman wrote: September 26, 2018, 9:11 am Jacks/Williams doesn't solve the problem that plagued us all year long and ultimately cost us many games.

Agree it's no silver bullet. But can you imagine a season of the ineptitude of Sezer and Jacks in attack? :roflmao
I think you have to be a little more positive than that RK.
We play better footy with Hodgo at 9. He wont be on a hiding to nothing when he takes the field next yr either.
I reckon Sezer played his best footy with Sammy TBH, but is more likely to play well if he is the dominant half. Something he has wanted to be since he arrived. Should Jacks be his partner, I see that being the case.
We should also have Jack at FB again.
Meaning the hierarchy of the spine looks more set; Hodgo, then Sezer, then Jack/ Jacks.

As mentioned above, really all we need is for Hodgo to get us rolling, then the other 3 to put our edges into 1 on 1 situations or space. Thats how we score points.

Then, you have to rely on those guys to hold their own defensively. Which I think they would.

Will this make us a top 8 side? Should do.
Top 4? Id say the pack will have a bearing on that.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I think Sezer and Jacks would be the best defensive halves pairing we’ve offered in years.

Points aren’t our problem, and frankly Sezer and Austin didn’t have a lot to do with our point scoring last season. Hodgo is our game manager.

At this point, I am baffled that people still want Williams. If you genuinely think he is the answer, then I’m not entirely sure you understand the question.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 26, 2018, 3:10 pm

It’s not like Sam or Austin are significantly better and we’ve been the best attacking team in the comp for the past 3 years. None of those 3 have been consistent creative forces and our attack has been fine

Attack isn’t our problem. Defence is

I’m more worried about losing Crawley impacting our attack than I am how the halves are. Which is an indictment on those halves
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Our middle ****ing sucked. If we can get a 4 prop rotation that is consistently average a lot of our edge defensive problems will be reduced.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

At this stage of our recruitment and what I think we need defensively first and foremost, this is what I’d go with:
1. Wighton
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Jacks
7. Sezer
8. Soliola
9. Hodgson
10. Papalii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J.Bateman

14. Havili
15. Murchie
16. Sutton
17. Guler / Lui / Knight

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Dusty wrote: September 26, 2018, 7:48 pm At this stage of our recruitment and what I think we need defensively first and foremost, this is what I’d go with:
1. Wighton
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Jacks
7. Sezer
8. Soliola
9. Hodgson
10. Papalii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J.Bateman

14. Havili
15. Murchie
16. Sutton
17. Guler / Lui / Knight

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Nice one Dusty. My pick as well. Assuming Sutton proves the goods...
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Pigman wrote: September 26, 2018, 5:35 pm I’m more worried about losing Crawley impacting our attack than I am how the halves are. Which is an indictment on those halves
didn't Brett White coach the attack this year because Crawley switched to defence? I'm pretty sure that's the case and would explain the completely useless red zone one out hit ups.

Not sure what White could add to an attack which is sad because Cappy sounded like he was focussed on defense in his interviews. I'd like to see him doing the "offence" and anyone different doing the defence. But I'll settle for bargeovers and freak plays if it means the line doesn't go pearshaped.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Coastalraider wrote:

His endurance suffers from the amount of big players that constantly run at him

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Lui_Bon wrote: September 26, 2018, 8:24 pm
Pigman wrote: September 26, 2018, 5:35 pm I’m more worried about losing Crawley impacting our attack than I am how the halves are. Which is an indictment on those halves
didn't Brett White coach the attack this year because Crawley switched to defence? I'm pretty sure that's the case and would explain the completely useless red zone one out hit ups.

Not sure what White could add to an attack which is sad because Cappy sounded like he was focussed on defense in his interviews. I'd like to see him doing the "offence" and anyone different doing the defence. But I'll settle for bargeovers and freak plays if it means the line doesn't go pearshaped.
In title yes
How their roles actually worked day to day is anyone’s guess
I just know where ever Crowley goes, attacking football follows
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

So close...

You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Lobby
Noa Nadruku

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Lobby »

Ryley Jacks has signed a one year deal with the Titans apparently
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2018

Post by Raiders666 »

Raymond Der wrote: October 4, 2018, 8:02 pm Ryley Jacks has signed a one year deal with the Titans apparently
Not surprising....Can TPJ play halfback?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ryley Jacks signs one year deal with Gold Coast Titans: https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nr ... a3d5e7a7f8
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Bummer... not many available halves left
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Kermit
John Ferguson

Post by Kermit »

Ha ha even Ryley Jacks won’t sign with us!!! :roflmao
Golden Boogs Winner 2006 - Best Newcomer
Golden Boogs Winner 2008 - Best Couple

"Nobody's looked better in the Lime Green except maybe Kermit the Frog..." - Reg Reagan.

"this is just Groundhog Day for the Raiders" (Laurie Daley 2/6/12 on 40-0 defeat to Wests)
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Glad we didn't sign him, he's clearly an idiot. He won't be in first grade with Taylor and Brimson in their halves.

rats...
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Lui_Bon wrote: October 4, 2018, 8:22 pm Glad we didn't sign him, he's clearly an idiot. He won't be in first grade with Taylor and Brimson in their halves.

rats...
Brimson will play FB.
They signed Tyrone Roberts back too.
Wonder who gets the 6 jumper?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Matt wrote: October 4, 2018, 8:28 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: October 4, 2018, 8:22 pm Glad we didn't sign him, he's clearly an idiot. He won't be in first grade with Taylor and Brimson in their halves.

rats...
Brimson will play FB.
They signed Tyrone Roberts back too.
Wonder who gets the 6 jumper?
I'll believe you but I wonder if Brimson might be better at 6 than 1? Guess we'll find out.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Roberts is much, much better than Jacks.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.