POLL: 2018 Highs and Lows: Worst Loss

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

What was the Canberra Raiders worst loss of 2018?

Round 1 V Titans
14%
Round 2 V Knights
5%
Round 3 V Warriors
36%
Round 4 V Sea Eagles
23%
Round 7 V Rabbitohs
No votes
Round 10 V Sharks
No votes
Round 11 V Dragons
No votes
Round 14 V Panthers
No votes
Round 16 V Broncos
23%
Round 21 V Panthers
No votes
Round 22 V Tigers
No votes

Total votes: 22

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2018 Highs and Lows: Worst Loss

Every year, the readers of The Greenhouse vote on the highs and lows of the season just past. The Player of the Year and Best Back and Forward are determined by the Fans' Choice Player of the Year voting, but all the other categories are determined by poll conducted on The GH. In this poll, we are voting on the worst loss of season 2018. Here are the nominations:

Round 1: Gold Coast Titans 30 - Canberra Raiders 28. It was only the first match of the year, but it felt like we'd seen this all before. A heart breaking, two point loss to the Gold Coast Titans. A match winning try to the opposition in the final three minutes. It equaled the Titans' biggest ever comeback win. Canberra led by 18-0 after a blistering opening 10 minutes or so... and had an opportunity to go to a 24-0 on the quarter hour mark. At one stage in the first half, Canberra led by 24-6. But lack of completions and ill discipline saw the Raiders throw away the match. Full match review

Round 2: Newcastle Knights 30, Canberra Raiders 28. Groundhog Day Mark II. A two point loss in the dying stages of the match, exactly the same score line as in Round 1. Canberra led by eight points with a little under 20 minutes remaining. But that was not enough. Canberra showed again it has trouble closing out matches, and it was all too evident yet again. Full match review

Round 3: New Zealand Warriors 20 - Canberra Raiders 19. Groundhog Day Mark III. If you thought that things could not possibly get worse for the Raiders after the narrow, last gasp losses of the first two rounds... well, you were wrong. The manner of the loss to the Warriors in the final few minutes showed the Raiders had massive problems. Full match review

Round 4: Manly Sea Eagles 32, Canberra Raiders 16. "Soft. Soft football, soft pieces of play, soft choices and I've probably protected them for too long. Over the last three weeks I've thought the effort was there. There was no effort in that first half. That wasn't us. It was soft." That was the summation of coach Ricky Stuart. The score line did not really reflect the extent of the lesson handed out to the Raiders by the Sea Eagles. The Sea Eagles kicked three penalty goals in the match, when tries were probably on offer. The match was over at half time... and Manly really shut up shop in the second half. Full match review

Round 7: South Sydney Rabbitohs 42 Canberra Raiders 22. The final score line at Central Coast Stadium flattered the Raiders. Canberra was out-coached and out-played, comprehensively. They were in it for a minute - the first minute. Siliva Havili made a great break up field, but it amounted to nothing. And then the Rabbitohs asserted their dominance and the match was never really in any doubt. Full match review

Round 10: Cronulla Sharks 24 - Canberra Raiders 16. It was another match that the Raiders should have won - but didn't. A win against an injury riddled Cronulla Sharks would have seen the Raiders move into the top eight for the first time this season, but instead Canberra stumbled at the hurdle. The Raiders started the match poorly, with errors and penalties gifting the visitors possession and territory. By half time, the Raiders had re-asserted control, going to the break with a 16-8 lead. They were in a position to go on and win the match. But the Raiders failed to score in the second half, while conceding three tries. Full match review

Round 11: St George Illawarra Dragons 25 - Canberra Raiders 18. It was frustrating. Intensely frustrating. The Raiders and Dragons both scored three tries. But it was again a case of the Raiders making critical errors, conceding too many penalties at just the wrong time, which cost them the match. The Dragons, meanwhile, were simply too professional. Full match review

Round 14: Penrith Panthers 23 - Canberra Raiders 22. It was more heart break for the Canberra Raiders and their fans. The Raiders led by 20-10 with 20 minutes remaining, despite being significantly disrupted by injury. But for the fourth time this year, the Raiders surrendered a lead in the final five minutes... and lost by two points or less. Full match review

Round 16: Brisbane Broncos 26 - Canberra Raiders 22. Yet again the Raiders lost in the final 10 minutes. It was the seventh match this season lost by eight points or less. Four have been lost by two points or less. It was the seventh match this season where the Raiders were in a position to win, only to be run down in the final stages. In this match, Canberra led 16-0 at half time after a dominant 40 minutes. They led the match for the first 70 minutes. But it was an extremely poor second half from the “Green Machine”, conceding 26 points while adding just six. Full match review

Round 21: Penrith Panthers 40 - Canberra Raiders 31. Yet more heartbreak. The Raiders led by 14 points at half time. At almost the mid point of the second half, the Raiders led 30-18. They still led, narrowly, with less than eight minutes remaining. But for the fourth time in a row, the Panthers ran over the top of the Raiders in the final stages. Full match review

Round 22: Wests Tigers 22 - Canberra Raiders 20. Yet another narrow loss. And it was the end of any mathematical possibility that the Raiders could make the finals, with three rounds of the regular season left. It was the fifth game in 2018 lost by two points or less. It was the seventh game lost by four points or less. That's the difference between a share of 10th place and the competition lead. The Raiders ultimately lost the match in the first 20 minutes, conceding three tries and 16 points while Joey Leilua was in the sin bin. The Raiders came back, and reduced the deficit to just two points with 15 minutes to go. But ill discipline and error in the final stages meant the team were unable to post a winning try in the final stages. Full match review

If there is a match you'd like to vote for but is not nominated, simply specify it in a post on this thread.

All the results: Click here
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: POLL: 2018 Highs and Lows: Worst Loss

Post by greeneyed »

Such a wide range to choose from, sadly. Was tempted to add in the loss to the Storm, but it was a match the Raiders were never going to win, given the injury and suspensions...

It's either the loss to the Titans in Round 1, a match that should have been easily won... or to the Rabbitohs, when the Raiders were simply blown off the park.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Manly, since it meant the season was done and dusted within a month.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

I went Manly as well, first game of the year I thought they couldn't even be bothered to turn up.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

They broke my heart on so many occasions in 2018.

How we lost that Warriors game in Canberra I'll never know...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

What a read. I need several drinks.

I think I’d have to go with either -GD- on Manly for the given reason of basically being rooted in what March? Early April? Otherwise maybe Round 1 as a representative of all the close losses as well as signifying that we had not learned a **** thing from 2017 and failed to address our season preparation and game management. Who knows what they did for the offseason
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I'm so glad I was overseas for the first 3-4 rounds, that's a lot of **** losses to cop in a row as a fan.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

This season was tough, and the 1st month was poor, but with the season on the line, up 14-0, we choked! And chocked hard.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

I was most furious after the Warriors loss so that's my vote. I was absolutely livid. Couldn't believe what I had just watched. I remember feeling after butchering a 3rd game in a row that our season was dead already.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Ahh so many to choose from.

I’ll go Rnd 1 vs Titans. Set the tone for the rest of the season.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I woke up at 2 am or some ridiculous hour in New York to follow our 1 point loss against the Warriors. It was at that point I knew our season was pretty much dead, all of three rounds into the year.

Infuriating.

The Gold Coast and Penrith capitulations were right up there too.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

God what an absolute mess of a season.

Am I the only one that ceased the find the close choking losses “heartbreaking” a long time ago? They just feel natural now. The rare occasion we don’t blow it or have a close win is a pleasant surprise.
Up The Milk
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I think perhaps the Manly game. You pretty much know at 0-4 your season is over.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like that awful loss to the Broncos is in the lead. There really were some contenders for this one.
Raider_Boy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Pappa

Post by Raider_Boy »

I went the bronco loss.... words can’t describe how much I despise them. Can’t wait till we bury them next year.

What about a poll for the most memorable quote of the season? Trent Robinson’s “thank god for the salary cap” surely.....
Member #6381
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

We need a “select all that apply option”

Warriors and Broncos are the 2 games that could have changed our season if we had won.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Raider_Boy wrote: September 20, 2018, 7:35 am What about a poll for the most memorable quote of the season? Trent Robinson’s “thank god for the salary cap” surely.....
He has a point though.. it limits some of the clubs payments while they're in a position where it's easy for them to exceed it through TPA's

Salary "Cap" in its current form suits the Roosters.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Voted for round 4, as they were just disgusting that day. No heart or interest. That's what irks me most.

Was hard to not vote for the warriors loss though.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Matt wrote: September 19, 2018, 9:33 pm This season was tough, and the 1st month was poor, but with the season on the line, up 14-0, Austin choked! And chocked hard.
Amended it for you...
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

I've gone with Round 4 against Manly. They didn't even turn up that day.

Reminded me of when we played Manly in 2013/2014 (can't quite remember) and it was 40-0 at half time.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Interesting that there's a fair spread of votes. It's why I ended up with so many nominations. There were a lot of similar, heartbreaking losses.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Could have voted for a number of games, Fergus. They were all bad.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

SeeBee101 wrote: September 20, 2018, 1:35 pm
Matt wrote: September 19, 2018, 9:33 pm This season was tough, and the 1st month was poor, but with the season on the line, up 14-0, Austin choked! And chocked hard.
Amended it for you...
:roflmao
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Round 3 V Warriors in the lead. This poll will close today, so last chance to have your say.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Poll declared. All the results so far: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33006&p=1619551#p1619551