Andrew McFadden returns to Raiders as Assistant Coach

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Andrew McFadden returns to Raiders as Assistant Coach

Post by BadnMean »

I'm just hoping Cappy can add something to the play of our halves. We've been on at Sticky over not being able to develop halves, well now we've brought an ex half in. Often it's the genius' who just can't actually impart that to others as a coach but the battling player who had to work their ass off learning that can recognise what a player needs to know/how to improve it.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

David Furner pre-empted the decision by going to England. They looked around for someone else to milk the sheep and shear the cows and came up with Cappy.

I will reserve any judgement on him as a coach until I've seen what he can do. He does start with some of our poorest defenders no longer with the club. But we have a long way to go to match the consistent defensive intensity required for finals footy. I wonder if he can get into BJs head and if he can will he find anything in there. Good luck Cappy.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:Andrew McFadden joins Canberra Raiders coaching ranks

Ricky Stuart knew he had his man when Andrew McFadden sat down in a meeting and said "once you’re a head coach, you know exactly what a head coach needs behind you". McFadden has rejoined the Canberra Raiders' coaching staff on a two-year deal in a bid to take the Green Machine back to the NRL finals.

"Six years ago when I left, a completely different coach to where I’m at now. That experience of being a head coach, you can’t undervalue that. That certainly has made me a better coach and it’s going to make me a better support to Ricky."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... e=rss_feed
That must have been weighted highly in the selection criteria
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

On reflection he might be just what we need.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Furner: We never wanted to lose him: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/09 ... -lose-him/
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt. The Warriors is probably the toughest gig in the NRL for a rookie head coach and being kept on by his replacement is probably a good sign.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Hopefully he can give the halves some confidence
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Green eyed Mick wrote: September 18, 2018, 5:58 pm I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt. The Warriors is probably the toughest gig in the NRL for a rookie head coach and being kept on by his replacement is probably a good sign.
Yea agree here, I actually quite like McFadden, not sure he’s an nrl head coach but he’ll make a good assistant with a lot of experience both on and more
Importantly off the “family farm”. The warriors attack looked quite good at times especially there ball movement to the right towards Fusitu’a, hopefully he can replicate that with giving space to Rapana/Cotric.
He had a lot of respect at the warriors from all corners(players, management, media) and there aren’t too many head coaches to get offered a job after being punted let alone have the humility to accept it
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

kiwi raider wrote: September 18, 2018, 7:10 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote: September 18, 2018, 5:58 pm I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt. The Warriors is probably the toughest gig in the NRL for a rookie head coach and being kept on by his replacement is probably a good sign.
Yea agree here, I actually quite like McFadden, not sure he’s an nrl head coach but he’ll make a good assistant with a lot of experience both on and more
Importantly off the “family farm”. The warriors attack looked quite good at times especially there ball movement to the right towards Fusitu’a, hopefully he can replicate that with giving space to Rapana/Cotric.
He had a lot of respect at the warriors from all corners(players, management, media) and there aren’t too many head coaches to get offered a job after being punted let alone have the humility to accept it
All very good points.

I also think some people over-estimate the ability of an assistant coach to address the kind of inconsistency that has plagued us since before Ricky showed up.

Personally, I am drawing my optimism from Sutton, Guler, Horsburg, Bateman, Knight and Murchie.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Wonder who the final list of 4 were?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

But he's replacing the defence coach so I'm assuming that will be his role. What he has done for the Warriors attack is irrelevant if that is how the cards fall.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

RedRaider wrote: September 18, 2018, 5:08 am I will reserve any judgement on him as a coach until I've seen what he can do. He does start with some of our poorest defenders no longer with the club.
By my count we had five, and three are gone. If that improves our defence by a try against a game, we are a lock for the top four, and not missing a great deal in attack.
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

i hope we get the group huddles and on field meditation
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’d say as far as nepotism hires go, this is likely to be one of the better ones. At least you can make a decent case for him. Brett White had nothing by comparison.

The Canberra effect does apply to coaches too, but gee it’d be nice to bring in someone new occasionally.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Lui_Bon wrote: September 18, 2018, 9:39 pm
RedRaider wrote: September 18, 2018, 5:08 am I will reserve any judgement on him as a coach until I've seen what he can do. He does start with some of our poorest defenders no longer with the club.
By my count we had five, and three are gone. If that improves our defence by a try against a game, we are a lock for the top four, and not missing a great deal in attack.
Agreed Lui_Bon. We had too many easy targets in the defensive line, particularly against any type of footwork. It has showed in our defensive stats and the eye test for years. Most sides have a couple of players who are not that strong defensively but they can be covered for. But when 30% of the side are a worry, well you've seen our 'tries against' stats compared to the NRL pecking order.

There is not a side in the NRL which has won the comp over the past decade that has not been a Top 5 defensive side. I know the flashy attack gets the headlines, but listen to the top players and coaches and all will say it is the grunt work in defence which makes a consistent contender. If Cappy can achieve that as our defensive coach then he will take the Raiders to the seldom visited finals series. Go Cappy!