Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2018 Rd 25 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote: September 1, 2018, 6:54 am
bonehead wrote: August 31, 2018, 8:41 pm phew, glad that season is done

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Well said boner...

We are out of our misery.

But on Nov 1 we all get very excited about pre season, new recruits, promises promises promises...
I don't see that happening. We will all be heading into 2019 with muted expectations.

....so lock in a top 8 finish.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Only 5 more wins to be guaranteed a spot in the finals
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: September 1, 2018, 7:57 am

Well said boner...

But on Nov 1 we all get very excited about pre season, new recruits, promises promises promises...
I don't see that happening. We will all be heading into 2019 with muted expectations.

Our post season review will fix it...just like the last one.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Sid wrote: September 1, 2018, 8:04 am Only 5 more wins to be guaranteed a spot in the finals
rounds 1,2,3, broncos, sharks, panthers, sharks, panthers, thats 16pts we missed
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 1, 2018, 6:46 am
Seiffert82 wrote: September 1, 2018, 3:56 am
exrefhollywood wrote: August 31, 2018, 9:28 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: August 31, 2018, 7:53 pm Warriors have been pretty ordinary, but I'm convinced Williams and Sezer can do the job for us in the halves if Hodgo is fit.
Yeah.....they are great game managers...…..you are delusional if you think our halves will get us to the finals. :roflmao :roflmao
Delusional? Sezer and Austin got us to 2nd place in 2016 - and Austin was entirely **** for most of the season. A few years earlier Williams was our starting halfback during a finals run. Sam Williams cops a lot of **** from the fans, but I tell you what, he's a damn sight better than blokes like Herbert, McCrone and Dobson who managed to help this team get to the finals in seasons gone by.

I'm not delusional. I just have a memory slightly longer than a retarded goldfish.

Blake Austin was absolutely terrible in this game, yet we nearly beat the Warriors at home. He's been BY FAR our biggest problem in the halves for years. Now he is gone and it's up to the coach to get Sezer and Williams to play football at a consistently high level.
I don't think Sezer has been any better than Austin this year other than his 2 or 3 stand out games. If he could learn to try and do a bit less I think we'd be better for it. At the moment Sezer tries to run us around the park like he is Ricky Stuart himself - he just doesn't have the talent for that role.
Austin has been nothing short of horrendous in defence and entirely inconsistent in attack. One good run followed up by two completely shocking kicks etc.

Sezer is always solid in defence and has improved as the season went on in attack - especially when Hodgo returned. I don't think you can compare the two at all.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 31, 2018, 7:53 pm Warriors have been pretty ordinary, but I'm convinced Williams and Sezer can do the job for us in the halves if Hodgo is fit.
Yeah.....they are great game managers...…..you are delusional if you think our halves will get us to the finals. :roflmao :roflmao
Delusional? Sezer and Austin got us to 2nd place in 2016 - and Austin was entirely **** for most of the season. A few years earlier Williams was our starting halfback during a finals run. Sam Williams cops a lot of **** from the fans, but I tell you what, he's a damn sight better than blokes like Herbert, McCrone and Dobson who managed to help this team get to the finals in seasons gone by.

I'm not delusional. I just have a memory slightly longer than a retarded goldfish.

Blake Austin was absolutely terrible in this game, yet we nearly beat the Warriors at home. He's been BY FAR our biggest problem in the halves for years. Now he is gone and it's up to the coach to get Sezer and Williams to play football at a consistently high level.
Don't forget that Ricky has to keep Sezar (or whoever replaces him) in the halves, not hooker. What a waste of time that was.

I'm not sold on Sezar. He doesn't seem to have a defined role and isn't a game breaker. I have my doubts about Hingano, but that's because he was trying to play the hooker role like a halfback. As Rocky used to say to Bullwinkle, "That trick never works". Pick any of Hodgson's ill-advised short kicks if you have any doubts.

On the other hand, Sammy has become the organiser and game manager Ricky has probably hoped one of them would be. His kicking game has improved out of sight as well. People expect Hodgson to go for the 40/20. Having a second option will keep back threes guessing. What the Raiders desperately need is someone who can leverage off that organisational stuff and bust a game open like Austin can (minus the defensive lapses).

As for Austin, good luck to him. He's joining a side that lost the Challenge Cup by one crucial decision in the last two minutes and then backed up to flog Hull 80-10. (Not a typo). Defence isn't as big a deal in the ESL. So, I expect he will get the Man of Steel Award if he performs to his potential and stays injury-free.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

yurithe1 wrote: September 1, 2018, 12:47 pm

Don't forget that Ricky has to keep Sezar (or whoever replaces him) in the halves, not hooker. What a waste of time that was.

I'm not sold on Sezar. He doesn't seem to have a defined role and isn't a game breaker. I have my doubts about Hingano, but that's because he was trying to play the hooker role like a halfback. As Rocky used to say to Bullwinkle, "That trick never works". Pick any of Hodgson's ill-advised short kicks if you have any doubts.

On the other hand, Sammy has become the organiser and game manager Ricky has probably hoped one of them would be. His kicking game has improved out of sight as well. People expect Hodgson to go for the 40/20. Having a second option will keep back threes guessing. What the Raiders desperately need is someone who can leverage off that organisational stuff and bust a game open like Austin can (minus the defensive lapses).

As for Austin, good luck to him. He's joining a side that lost the Challenge Cup by one crucial decision in the last two minutes and then backed up to flog Hull 80-10. (Not a typo). Defence isn't as big a deal in the ESL. So, I expect he will get the Man of Steel Award if he performs to his potential and stays injury-free.
Austin should kill it in the ESL.

There are very good reasons why many fans don't rate either Sezer or Williams. Both fail to take control of games at times and both can be inconsistent. At their best though, I feel both are highly capable halves, who are proven to be capable of delivering MOTM performances.

It's the coaches role to get both playing at that level on a consistent basis and to get that combo firing with Hodgson, who is clearly our dominant ball player.

We all know what they need to focus on over the offseason. Time will tell how it plays out.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finals return driving Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says missing the top eight is already driving him to make the NRL finals next season. 2018 is the third time they've finished 10th under Stuart, having only played made the finals once - in 2016. But the Raiders showed they could match it with any team in the NRL over the final three weeks, beating top-four teams Sydney Roosters and South Sydney and then narrowly losing to the finals-bound Warriors in Auckland on Friday night.

"This time next year I want to be preparing to be in the top eight because otherwise you're just sitting here disappointed with the fact you're not playing in the best part of the season."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 5015o.html
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:Finals return driving Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says missing the top eight is already driving him to make the NRL finals next season. 2018 is the third time they've finished 10th under Stuart, having only played made the finals once - in 2016. But the Raiders showed they could match it with any team in the NRL over the final three weeks, beating top-four teams Sydney Roosters and South Sydney and then narrowly losing to the finals-bound Warriors in Auckland on Friday night.

"This time next year I want to be preparing to be in the top eight because otherwise you're just sitting here disappointed with the fact you're not playing in the best part of the season."

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says missing the top eight and the fact he couldn't earn a fraction of his pay cheque doing any other work is already driving him to make the NRL finals next season.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I can't think of another club which would tolerate Sticky's record and keep him on as coach. After 5 years the squad is Sticky's, the method of play is Sticky's, the (lack of) results are Sticky's. He does things his way and that way has not led to success. This would mean change anywhere else. Are Don and the Board awake to these results? They seem to be asleep or tolerating mediocrity. Neither is a formula for success.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Just shut up.

Shut. Up.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Sad to see that Blake is going out this way. He had some great games for us over the years, but there´s no doubting he´s been a huge issue over the last 18 months or so. Sadly another half on the R. Stuart scrap heap. The thought of a halves pairing of Sezer and Williams with Sticky still at the helm in 2019 is troubling to say the least.

Was nice to see at least a bit of pride in the jersey to end the year. Ultimately though it makes very little difference in the context of a season that can only be considered a massive failure.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: September 1, 2018, 4:18 pm Finals return driving Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Awww shucks Ricky..ok well give you just one more chance.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

RedRaider wrote: September 1, 2018, 5:34 pm I can't think of another club which would tolerate Sticky's record and keep him on as coach. After 5 years the squad is Sticky's, the method of play is Sticky's, the (lack of) results are Sticky's. He does things his way and that way has not led to success. This would mean change anywhere else. Are Don and the Board awake to these results? They seem to be asleep or tolerating mediocrity. Neither is a formula for success.
My feeling is they are all too close. Sentiment and nostalgia is clouding judgment. Lack of an objective viewpoint leads to inaction.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

RedRaider wrote: September 1, 2018, 5:34 pm I can't think of another club which would tolerate Sticky's record and keep him on as coach. After 5 years the squad is Sticky's, the method of play is Sticky's, the (lack of) results are Sticky's. He does things his way and that way has not led to success. This would mean change anywhere else. Are Don and the Board awake to these results? They seem to be asleep or tolerating mediocrity. Neither is a formula for success.
Don sucks and the board are as gutless as the local media.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Northern Raider wrote: September 2, 2018, 10:43 am
My feeling is they are all too close. Sentiment and nostalgia is clouding judgment. Lack of an objective viewpoint leads to inaction.
Agreed NR. The family farm is alive and well. A real shame if positive results are the objective.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: September 1, 2018, 7:57 am

Well said boner...

Remember we could only sign 2 SL players for next year and that’s it we are at cap limit we can’t buy anyone else. A forward and a back both from Wigan, although the back is an Eng International.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

RedRaider wrote: September 2, 2018, 12:32 pm
Northern Raider wrote: September 2, 2018, 10:43 am
Agreed NR. The family farm is alive and well. A real shame if positive results are the objective.
Did you know in Stuart’s last 10 NRL coaching season he has only guided a team to a Finals which was in 2016, where I believe we just had so many players in hot form at the same time. We started that 2016 season poorly then got on a 8 winning streak. We would’ve been in the GF if only Lee caught the very catchable pass, it that was Lee ina nutshell.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

-PJ- wrote: September 2, 2018, 6:13 am
greeneyed wrote: September 1, 2018, 4:18 pm Finals return driving Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Stuart’s past 10 NRL coaching season and only one Finals appearance back in 2016.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Vote Now: Man of the Match - Round 25: http://greenroomdigital.snapforms.com.a ... ek-round25

Gallery: Raiders v Warriors: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/09 ... -warriors/

Round 25 Play of the week: Jordan Rapana: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/09 ... an-rapana/

By the numbers: Raiders v Warriors: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/09 ... -warriors/

Round 24 half time performance: Montanah Grace: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/09 ... ana-grace/

Dance School Competition - Vote Now!: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/09 ... -vote-now/

Coca Cola sing to win 2018 Highlights: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/09 ... ighlights/
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

InFernos_Raiders wrote: September 3, 2018, 1:01 am

Stuart’s past 10 NRL coaching season and only one Finals appearance back in 2016.
Actually, he's getting two more chances. He's signed until the end of 2020. If he keeps it up, Game Day posts will run for about five pages because even the diehards like me will be on the verge of giving up.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 1, 2018, 12:17 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 1, 2018, 6:46 am

I don't think Sezer has been any better than Austin this year other than his 2 or 3 stand out games. If he could learn to try and do a bit less I think we'd be better for it. At the moment Sezer tries to run us around the park like he is Ricky Stuart himself - he just doesn't have the talent for that role.
Austin has been nothing short of horrendous in defence and entirely inconsistent in attack. One good run followed up by two completely shocking kicks etc.

Sezer is always solid in defence and has improved as the season went on in attack - especially when Hodgo returned. I don't think you can compare the two at all.
I agree on Austin. Sezer is solid defensively but for mine he needs to take a step back in management of the team. His kicking game just isn't anywhere near consistent enough, and he doesn't offer much threat with ball in hand. I think he'd work fine alongside one of the top halves in the game, but sadly I think our best option is Sam Williams as the primary playmaker :(
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

yurithe1 wrote: September 4, 2018, 12:52 pm

Yeah, Ive noticed the game day threads are getting shorter, sill have a few laughs on there though

Actually, he's getting two more chances. He's signed until the end of 2020. If he keeps it up, Game Day posts will run for about five pages because even the diehards like me will be on the verge of giving up.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

yurithe1 wrote: September 4, 2018, 12:52 pm

I know two more years and a lot of our top players contracts are up around 2020/21 so I expect many may leave. I just don’t understand who a club can keep a coach on like this other clubs bite the bullet but no Canberra, the Board is stuck in the 1990’s.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The other side of that is a lot of players might have release clauses if Ricky is sacked

They all talk about wanting to play for him
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-TW- wrote: September 5, 2018, 9:14 pm The other side of that is a lot of players might have release clauses if Ricky is sacked

They all talk about wanting to play for him