gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: 2018 Rd 25 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote:
Ultima wrote: August 31, 2018, 7:53 pm
Pigman wrote: August 31, 2018, 7:50 pm
Johno wrote: August 31, 2018, 7:49 pm
Pigman wrote: August 31, 2018, 7:48 pm This thread could not be more perfect for this season.

hot tip guys... RTS DID knock it back, and that IS an obstruction.
Pigman being.... Pigman

Never wrong
You blokes are un **** real
those two were not remotely close to being tough calls. They were clear, obvious correct calls ruled as such. Christ.
Not even sure who is calling the obstruction not an obstruction... The "knock back" would have been called knock on 99 out of 100 times in any other situation though so I'm starting to think you don't actually watch games...
Pains me to say it but Pigman is correct on this.

....now I feel a need to wash. :(
Stopped clock etc etc Image
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Id switched off in disgust after the williams kick... but that's right in the Adam Blair wheelhouse isnt it?
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Blair was Carrying on a bit like a peanut but there were no punches, a nothing shove on whitehead but that’s about it
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Johno wrote: August 31, 2018, 7:49 pm
Pigman wrote: August 31, 2018, 7:48 pm This thread could not be more perfect for this season.

hot tip guys... RTS DID knock it back, and that IS an obstruction.
Pigman being.... Pigman

Never wrong
Pigman is a **** pig no doubt but he's right. Those 2 calls were correct. We had them on the ropes but I don't think we had the class or patience to win.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Yep clear cut penalties
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

A good honest effort, some flashy moments, some dumb play and a loss within a converted try. Finished as we started.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

kiwi raider wrote: August 31, 2018, 8:08 pm Blair was Carrying on a bit like a peanut but there were no punches, a nothing shove on whitehead but that’s about it
Clock was still going. Warriors had to get up and play the ball. You can’t step in and push the markers like that. It’s a penalty at any other stage of the game. You can’t ignore the rule because there’s 10 sec left.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

considering the metres was like 1400-1000 warriors way, penalties was against us it was a fine effort, how bout boyd decides to play his best on his last, I think defensivly we will be better next season with the England boys in, I will always say this.....Raiders are 1 massive halves player away from a top 4 finish.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Northern Raider wrote: August 31, 2018, 8:13 pm
kiwi raider wrote: August 31, 2018, 8:08 pm Blair was Carrying on a bit like a peanut but there were no punches, a nothing shove on whitehead but that’s about it
Clock was still going. Warriors had to get up and play the ball. You can’t step in and push the markers like that. It’s a penalty at any other stage of the game. You can’t ignore the rule because there’s 10 sec left.
Absolutely agree with that, just saying there was no punch, i’m Also unsure how you can end the game by calling tackled when no one is touching johnson
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The voluntary tackle needs to be the crackdown for 2019

It's a joke that you can just flop to the ground to avoid being tackled
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

I watched the game in a pub in Chiang Mai w/o sound and was completely perplexed by some of the referring decisions and the denial of the last Raider's "try" . One thing that was obvious w/o sound was just about every time Austin touched the ball something bad happened. God I'm glad he is gone, his pros don't cover his cons!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Butters wrote: August 31, 2018, 7:14 pm Why'd BJ go off ??

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Well. Does anyone know yet?
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

Well, that’s enough disappointment and frustration for one year. Im taking a rest from such and going to enjoy life for a few months. Meanwhile, I hope the Raiders and their good for nothing management get their act together and realise that defence is the key. And a good tackle gets a guy around the legs so he cant keep running.
If 15,000 fans can see this, why can the coaches and the management?
Have a great break everyone. Couldn’t care less who wins the finals.
See you in the stands in 2019.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

phew, glad that season is done

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Green Taipan wrote: August 31, 2018, 8:33 pm I watched the game in a pub in Chiang Mai w/o sound and was completely perplexed by some of the referring decisions and the denial of the last Raider's "try" . One thing that was obvious w/o sound was just about every time Austin touched the ball something bad happened. God I'm glad he is gone, his pros don't cover his cons!
Have a look in the POTY thread. People are giving Blake points. :shock:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

A fitting way for the season to end.... another heart breaker :thumbsdown
Bring on 2019...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders lose final match to New Zealand Warriors

The Canberra Raiders have gone down to the New Zealand Warriors 20-16 at Mt Smart Stadium on Friday night. The result was in the balance right until the end with the Raiders having two tries disallowed in the last ten minutes.

New Zealand Warriors 20 (Tries: Kata, Fusitua, Hiku Goals: Johnson 4/6) def Canberra Raiders 16 (Tries: Papalii, Whitehead Goals: Williams 4/4)

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... -warriors/

Warriors hold off desperate Raiders for win

Like their season, the Canberra Raiders fought till the end, but still came up short against the New Zealand Warriors in Auckland on Friday. But the Warriors' 20-16 victory could come at a cost with club stalwart Simon Mannering (sternum) ending his 300th NRL game on the bench and in doubt for the finals.

NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS 20 (Solomone Kata, David Fusitu'a, Peta Hiku tries; Shaun Johnson 4 goals) bt CANBERRA RAIDERS 16 (Josh Papalii, Elliott Whitehead tries; Sam Williams 4 goals) at Auckland. Referees: Matt Cecchin, Phil Henderson. Crowd: 24,595.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 500z9.html

Lock Raiders Papa in for Kangaroos

At the start of the season he wasn't going well enough to even make the Canberra Raiders 17, but by the end he's surely won back his Australian jersey. Raiders lock Josh Papalii has been a standout for the Green Machine since he was dropped after round four.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... crpt=index

Warriors scrape past Raiders to keep home final in sight: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... crpt=index

Mannering injured in 300th as Warriors beat Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/31/sim ... a-raiders/

Match Highlights: Warriors v Raiders: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... v-raiders/

Rapana's miracle touch sets up Whitehead: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... whitehead/

Raiders press conference: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/31/rai ... -round-25/

Warriors press conference: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/31/war ... -round-25/
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Crusader wrote: August 31, 2018, 8:18 pm considering the metres was like 1400-1000 warriors way, penalties was against us it was a fine effort, how bout boyd decides to play his best on his last, I think defensivly we will be better next season with the England boys in, I will always say this.....Raiders are 1 massive halves player away from a top 4 finish.
More like the Raiders are one massive coach away. I'm constantly bemused that Sticky watches the game from the worst seat in the house. He can't see whats going on so how in the hell can he make adjustments to defensive/attacking structures during the game? Of I forgot, Sticky sticks with the game plan (if there is one) despite glaring deficiencies being apparent to everyone bar him. Being a "spectator" clouds his judgement and seemingly makes him forget he has a bench with fresh reserves.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I love that people think because the defender managed to get there it wasn't an obstruction. Lui entered the defensive line and impeded him, precisely what you aren't meant to do. He would have been in a much better position to make the tackle without that impediment.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 31, 2018, 9:07 pm I love that people think because the defender managed to get there it wasn't an obstruction. Lui entered the defensive line and impeded him, precisely what you aren't meant to do. He would have been in a much better position to make the tackle without that impediment.
I think it was guler
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

chris83 wrote: August 31, 2018, 9:17 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 31, 2018, 9:07 pm I love that people think because the defender managed to get there it wasn't an obstruction. Lui entered the defensive line and impeded him, precisely what you aren't meant to do. He would have been in a much better position to make the tackle without that impediment.
I think it was guler
My mistake. Needed to run through.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Stick will probably drop him for that error next week!!!
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

call was spot on

Edrick The Entertainer
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: thurling

Post by exrefhollywood »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 31, 2018, 7:53 pm Warriors have been pretty ordinary, but I'm convinced Williams and Sezer can do the job for us in the halves if Hodgo is fit.
Yeah.....they are great game managers...…..you are delusional if you think our halves will get us to the finals. :roflmao :roflmao
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

-TW- wrote: August 31, 2018, 8:27 pm The voluntary tackle needs to be the crackdown for 2019

It's a joke that you can just flop to the ground to avoid being tackled
Luke Patten virtually pioneered it. It won’t change while he’s still involved in officiating
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think they got rid of the voluntary tackle rule.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

chris83 wrote: August 31, 2018, 9:20 pm Stick will probably drop him for that error next week!!!
Ironically he’ll be one playing next week
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:I love that people think because the defender managed to get there it wasn't an obstruction. Lui entered the defensive line and impeded him, precisely what you aren't meant to do. He would have been in a much better position to make the tackle without that impediment.
Yep, correct decision.

I seem to recall a decision go against us earlier in the year because the video ref said he had time to get there still though Image
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says the good stuff came too late

Proud of the last gasp effort late in the season, gutted with the ultimate outcome.

"These last three games we’ve executed and fixed areas of our game but it's all been too late. People talk about the fact that 'I think it would be great to have you there [in the finals]'; You’re a team that can beat teams in the top eight'. But we're not [in the finals]. We've got to be realistic, we're not in the top eight and this time next year I want to be preparing to be in the top eight otherwise…you're sitting here disappointed you're not playing in the best part of the season."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/31/can ... -too-late/

Warriors happily give Mannering a 300th to remember: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/31/new ... -remember/
EVH
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by EVH »

exrefhollywood wrote: August 31, 2018, 9:28 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: August 31, 2018, 7:53 pm Warriors have been pretty ordinary, but I'm convinced Williams and Sezer can do the job for us in the halves if Hodgo is fit.
Yeah.....they are great game managers...…..you are delusional if you think our halves will get us to the finals. :roflmao :roflmao
We are a better side with Sam WIlliams on the field. Blake Austin played his best footy for us along side SW in 2015. The best game i've seen Sezer play (against the Dogs at Belmore earlier in the year) was with SW. Whatever he lacks he makes up for by the fact the whole team plays better around him. I think he shows complete humility as a player which lets the other 3 spine players have room to play to their potential. LONG LIVE THE COOMA PUMA!
Last edited by EVH on September 1, 2018, 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ah, might as well jump (Jump!) Might as well jump Go ahead an' jump (jump!) Go ahead and jump Ow oh, hey you! Who said that?
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Question, Take a look at the players moving around clubs next year I am constantly reading Middle to top players are changing clubs but at the Raiders we can’t afford anyone but just 2 SL players.
If these rumours are true that the Roosters are looking at Taupau next year and with Crichton at Roosters in 2019 you have to ask the question... what’s with the account books at the Raiders we lose 3 top players well on decent money players yet we are over the limit for 2019.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Delusional? Sezer and Austin got us to 2nd place in 2016 - and Austin was entirely **** for most of the season. A few years earlier Williams was our starting halfback during a finals run. Sam Williams cops a lot of **** from the fans, but I tell you what, he's a damn sight better than blokes like Herbert, McCrone and Dobson who managed to help this team get to the finals in seasons gone by.

I'm not delusional. I just have a memory slightly longer than a retarded goldfish.

Blake Austin was absolutely terrible in this game, yet we nearly beat the Warriors at home. He's been BY FAR our biggest problem in the halves for years. Now he is gone and it's up to the coach to get Sezer and Williams to play football at a consistently high level.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Well our final game for 2018 and a disappointing season comes to a close for the Raiders. The effort of Rapa in the EW tray was just outstanding though and should be up there with highlights of Season 2018 for the NRL as will the Hiku flick pass for the Warriors second try.

In the first half Sam Williams with a great 40/20 kick set us up for our first try where the power and spin of Papa proved too much for the Warriors. But, we simply could not defend our errors. Papa could not put his foot on the ball in a play the ball and with a late refs call the Warriors have the ball. BJ then tries to put a hit on a block runner but the ball is already beyond the block runner - BJ decision making :nooo . Try to Warriors. Then Austin kicks out on the full. Warriors have field position and the wonderful flick pass sets up the try for them.

Early in the second half another Austin 'nothing' kick gives the Warriors possession near half way. Play goes to the right and they get between Oldfield and Cotric for a try. Once more we cannot defend a 'next set' after one of our players has put in a less than FG effort. After they get a couple of penalty goals then came the fabulous Rapa effort off the Hodgo kick in the EW try and we are back in the contest. Sam Williams levels up with a penalty goal and at 16 all it is anyones match. Oldfield then holds a Warriors player off the ball and they go to the lead 18-16. Another poor Austin kick has the Warriors tackled on half way on their first tackle. Hodgo tries to rake the ball out and is penalised. Warriors 20-16. 9 minutes to play. Raiders try the razzle dazzle. Wide pass to Rapa has him in the clear and he kicks ahead. Austin is there but the Warriors player knocks the ball into his hand and its a knock on. Warriors scrum. But they knock on from the scrum base. Raiders scrum. We put on a standard play with a block runner and Sam Williams dummies and steps off his right foot to go over only for the block runner, Guler, to have made contact with a defender and as a result it is call a 'no try'. Them's the rules. Warriors get the penalty and then another for a Lui crusher tackle. We are again under pressure. This time though we get the ball back from a short goal line drop out. We attack but put in a forward pass. Then Austin strips the ball and we put on a move which has worked for us during the year. Sam Williams chip bomb to Rapa. The play is for him to catch the ball with BJ sweeping behind him to go through for the points. Unfortunately Rapa can't control the ball and our last chance to win the game is gone. Season 2018 is over.

I thought Hodgo, Papa, Rapa, Sia, EW and Sam Williams were our best. The old bogies of not being able to defend errors came back to haunt us in our final game. We certainly matched the finals bound Warriors though without our 2 best goal kickers - Croker and Sezer, our regular full back due to long term suspension and the giant gifted back rower Tapine. Defensive woes have dogged us all season and once again proved our undoing in this match.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Seiffert82 wrote: September 1, 2018, 3:56 am
Delusional? Sezer and Austin got us to 2nd place in 2016 - and Austin was entirely **** for most of the season. A few years earlier Williams was our starting halfback during a finals run. Sam Williams cops a lot of **** from the fans, but I tell you what, he's a damn sight better than blokes like Herbert, McCrone and Dobson who managed to help this team get to the finals in seasons gone by.

I'm not delusional. I just have a memory slightly longer than a retarded goldfish.

Blake Austin was absolutely terrible in this game, yet we nearly beat the Warriors at home. He's been BY FAR our biggest problem in the halves for years. Now he is gone and it's up to the coach to get Sezer and Williams to play football at a consistently high level.
I don't think Sezer has been any better than Austin this year other than his 2 or 3 stand out games. If he could learn to try and do a bit less I think we'd be better for it. At the moment Sezer tries to run us around the park like he is Ricky Stuart himself - he just doesn't have the talent for that role.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: August 31, 2018, 8:41 pm phew, glad that season is done

Well said boner...

We are out of our misery.

But on Nov 1 we all get very excited about pre season, new recruits, promises promises promises...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: