Raiders penalised $150,000 for shifting NRL game to Wagga

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Wagga to host Canberra Raiders NRL game in 2019 under Wagga City Council deal

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote: August 27, 2018, 10:38 pm I expect there will also be a cash contribution fro the Wagga council in addition to underwriting the costs of the game. So it does mean that the Raiders are guaranteed a profit for a game they may otherwise make a loss on.

So from an economic sense it makes sense, but is not all about making money. The club already operates at a significant operating loss, which is covered by a group of community clubs in the region and the ACT government. Those organisations exist to serve the people of the ACT region, not Wagga.
Agree.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Wagga to host Canberra Raiders NRL game in 2019 under Wagga City Council deal

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: August 27, 2018, 10:36 pm Is it generally the Canberra day long weekend which is a poor crowd? That could be the game to take away.

I don't mind the idea. You can't complain about the AFL trying to take over the region, while the NRL is ignoring the region, and then complain about doing something for the region. Sorry about the clumsy sentence structure GE.
Do you notice AFL playing premiership games in country towns?

I’m all for playing trials in country towns, but anyone who has been to the ground at Wagga would be well aware of its deficiencies in terms of spectator facilities (not to mention media and sponsor facilities).
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

greeneyed wrote: August 27, 2018, 10:52 pm
gergreg wrote: August 27, 2018, 10:36 pm Is it generally the Canberra day long weekend which is a poor crowd? That could be the game to take away.

I don't mind the idea. You can't complain about the AFL trying to take over the region, while the NRL is ignoring the region, and then complain about doing something for the region. Sorry about the clumsy sentence structure GE.
Do you notice AFL playing premiership games in country towns?

I’m all for playing trials in country towns, but anyone who has been to the ground at Wagga would be well aware of its deficiencies in terms of spectator facilities (not to mention media and sponsor facilities).
Like Launceston, Cairns, Ballarat and Alice Springs? All of which hosted AFL premiership matches this season?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Whilst I am against this, partly for selfish reasons that it is another travel for me, there are some reasons to do this.

1. We are getting $4 million from the NSW govt for the Braddon facility. That is an amazing coup and something that has never been done before. If the cost of that is two home games, it is pretty hard to argue against.

2. Wagga is the most appropriate venue far more sensible than Wellington or Perth which has been mooted previously. It is in our area and realistic for Canberra fans to travel to and if we recruit new members from the local area, realistic for them to come to home games in Canberra. The ground is reasonable although probably not as good as Bathurst, Mudgee or Dubbo where we have gone.

3. Wagga is very much a town that competes between AFL and Rugby League. The Giants definitely see it as part of their terrritory. It is probably not feasible to play an AFL game at Robertson Oval so this is something where NRL can gain an advantage.

4. We do have a lot of fans travel to Canberra from the Riverina. I am sure they would appreciate one the other way.

5. I guess it does give us a carrot with the ACT government to get that game back for future seasons. The reason the Giants get so much money from the ACT govt is they don’t have to play games in Canberra. The Raiders are always going to play 90% of their games here so they don’t need to be bribed to do so.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

I think this is a great idea. I would say you will see a game like the Cowboys, Warriors or Titans where the crowd will be small here anyway. The club needs to get out in the region more and while trials are great and all they don't give the same coverage to the game or the region.

The game and clubs also need to do more for Country Rugby League too. Not to mention if we have the CRL move into the current Raiders HQ when we move out that makes even more sense.

The stadium here costs a mint to hire... the clubs pay for EVERYTHING! This I imagine would be a great deal for the club.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

100%green wrote: August 27, 2018, 11:26 pm I think this is a great idea. I would say you will see a game like the Cowboys, Warriors or Titans where the crowd will be small here anyway. The club needs to get out in the region more and while trials are great and all they don't give the same coverage to the game or the region.

The game and clubs also need to do more for Country Rugby League too. Not to mention if we have the CRL move into the current Raiders HQ when we move out that makes even more sense.

The stadium here costs a mint to hire... the clubs pay for EVERYTHING! This I imagine would be a great deal for the club.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Not if you’re an AFL club.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Hopefully they take the Sharks game there, cause that is a guaranteed loss for the Raiders every time they play in Canberra.
I’m sure the season ticket holders won’t mind that one.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

By my estimation, reducing games from 12 to 11 without changing the price, represents something like an effective 9-10 percent price rise in one year.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Maybe the Wagga Wagga council can chip in the $$$ to get TPJ over the line.

They pay for a TPJ, we turn up and play..

No one else needs to know..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
craigo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: josh papalli

Post by craigo »

For anyone that lives in these country towns we realise, although we may loose a home game in the long run this will be much more beneficial for nrl in general, and for the raiders, afl is absolutely dominating in these areas now and they do a lot more down this way than rugby league, so complaining about having to travel and costing more is a bit selfish simply don't come to this game, it will sell out anyway. Its a great idea and its a few years over due..
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

Get a busload down Ge and I'll put you all up in my backyard. Tent city.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

greeneyed wrote: August 28, 2018, 7:07 am By my estimation, reducing games from 12 to 11 without changing the price, represents something like an effective 9-10 percent price rise in one year.
They may be reducing Canberra Stadium games but they aren’t reducing home games.
Maybe you will get free admission into Wagga cause you’re a member
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

As pointed out, Wagga is - or really should be - Raiders heartland. Another ground I would look at if we make this an annual thing is Albury as I think we should be claiming all the way to the border.

We had a crowd of 7600 against the Panthers and 10500 against the Chooks. We usually hover in the 11,000 range. It's not like we're depriving 25,000 people of their one chance to see us run around.

GE, you can complain about the ground facilities, the membership costs, that Wagga is a country town or that we are already the bush capital and they should come to us. But you've also in the past complained about the idea of us getting a brand new state-of-the-art stadium in Civic if you can't park at it's front door, and tried to claim that Bruce is in better nick than grounds like Robina or Newcastle. It's abundantly clear that your main issue is change, and whilst I completely understand liking things the way they are, this is a good thing for the club, the region and the game as a whole.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

mick63 wrote: August 28, 2018, 9:51 am
greeneyed wrote: August 28, 2018, 7:07 am By my estimation, reducing games from 12 to 11 without changing the price, represents something like an effective 9-10 percent price rise in one year.
They may be reducing Canberra Stadium games but they aren’t reducing home games.
That’s true, but as a member of the club I’ve been supplied with no information at all about how this affects my membership, which is about to roll over, with what I suspect is an effective 9 per cent price rise.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Timbo wrote: August 28, 2018, 10:05 am As pointed out, Wagga is - or really should be - Raiders heartland. Another ground I would look at if we make this an annual thing is Albury as I think we should be claiming all the way to the border.

We had a crowd of 7600 against the Panthers and 10500 against the Chooks. We usually hover in the 11,000 range. It's not like we're depriving 25,000 people of their one chance to see us run around.

GE, you can complain about the ground facilities, the membership costs, that Wagga is a country town or that we are already the bush capital and they should come to us. But you've also in the past complained about the idea of us getting a brand new state-of-the-art stadium in Civic if you can't park at it's front door, and tried to claim that Bruce is in better nick than grounds like Robina or Newcastle. It's abundantly clear that your main issue is change, and whilst I completely understand liking things the way they are, this is a good thing for the club, the region and the game as a whole.
I don’t believe taking games to smaller grounds, with inferior facilities for spectators, and with guaranteed smaller crowds is a good thing for the club or rugby league.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

VIDEO: Don Furner on Wagga Wagga match

Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner spoke this morning on the Club's deal with the Wagga Wagga City Council which will see the green machine play an NRL Premiership match at McDonald's Park in 2019 and 2020.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... gga-match/

Interview with Don on Raiders TV just went up.

No mention of entry for members at the Wagga game, at a trial game or an away game next year to make up for one less game at GIO Stadium.

No mention of price reduction on 2019 memberships. Made it sound like prices are the same as this year because of the 11 games, prices would have went up if we had the 12 games.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

greeneyed wrote: August 28, 2018, 10:11 am
That’s true, but as a member of the club I’ve been supplied with no information at all about how this affects my membership, which is about to roll over, with what I suspect is an effective 9 per cent price rise.
Sweet deal for the club.

They get your money.A reduction presumably from the stadium for renting out one less day.Money from Wagga council.

It’s the tone of the club.Their model.Pats on the back all round in the boardroom.

They should put on a bus for members for free.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

A bus!
The final insult! Making GE brave the conditions and get on a bus surrounded by depraved, murderous criminals at a bus interchange.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

mick63 wrote: August 28, 2018, 10:20 am
greeneyed wrote: August 28, 2018, 10:11 am
That’s true, but as a member of the club I’ve been supplied with no information at all about how this affects my membership, which is about to roll over, with what I suspect is an effective 9 per cent prise rise.
Sweet deal for the club.

They get your money.A reduction presumably from the stadium for renting out one less day.Money from Wagga council.

It’s the tone of the club.Their model.Pats on the back all round in the boardroom.

They should put on a bus for members for free.
My friend, I do not think you fully comprehend the size of the mistake you just made.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

mick63 wrote: August 28, 2018, 9:51 am Maybe you will get free admission into Wagga cause you’re a member
That hasn’t been the case when other clubs have done something similar.

The main reason is the local council wants the revenue to fund the costs. It won’t be much good for the Wagga council if they have to carry all the costs of the game but only get revenue from half the spectators because the other half are getting in for free as part of their memberships - revenue which I am sure the Raiders won’t want to give up 1/12th of.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Hadley on 2GB just talking about this and in his opinion it’s a great idea
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’ll no doubt go to the game. I’ll drive, and I’ll stay overnight at least. Six hours in a car in a day plus an 80 minute game is too much for me these days, especially if it’s a late night drive (though I suspect it’ll have to be a day game given the lighting). I won’t be going in a bus!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: August 28, 2018, 10:57 am Hadley on 2GB just talking about this and in his opinion it’s a great idea
Well now we KNOW it’s a bad idea!
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Sounds like a good business decision by the club. Maybe they should use the windfall to pay out our hack of a coach and sign Bennett.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

sprintman wrote: August 28, 2018, 10:57 am Hadley on 2GB just talking about this and in his opinion it’s a great idea
My opinion has suddenly changed and I am now 100% opposed to the idea.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

If memberships prices aren't reduced, do Raiders members get first choice of tickets to this game?

If so, what happens if 10000 Canberrans opt to use their membership and attend? Do Wagga locals end up missing out all together?
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

Peter wrote: August 28, 2018, 11:28 am If memberships prices aren't reduced, do Raiders members get first choice of tickets to this game?

If so, what happens if 10000 Canberrans opt to use their membership and attend? Do Wagga locals end up missing out all together?
I genuinely think we can roll the dice and take the chance on this one.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

The grandstand at the ground in Wagga only holds 330 people. There are significantly less facilities there than Bathurst and Mudgee where we have played in the past.

It really is all standing on a grass hill which from memory doesn’t have a lot of steepness about it.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

They got 9200 to the City/Country Match that was played there a few years back.

If we got that vs. say, the Titans at Wagga it'd be a pretty cracking atmosphere.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Timbo wrote: August 28, 2018, 12:07 pm They got 9200 to the City/Country Match that was played there a few years back.

If we got that vs. say, the Titans at Wagga it'd be a pretty cracking atmosphere.
I was at that game. We were in some corporate thing which really was just hay bales on the corner near the dressing rooms which are in the south west corner. I went for a walk on the Eastern hill and there really didn’t look to be any steepness to it. I am pretty sure there were no grandstand tickets available for purchase for the game.

We have played a couple of trials there. I am pretty sure we played the Bulldogs there one year and GE got there about 2 hours before the gates open to make sure we got seats in the grandstand.

I think Sieffert, Phillip Oval and the new facility at Gungahlin would all have better grandstands than the ground in Wagga. I have a feeling the Wagga ground was once called MacDonald Park but then changed to McDonalds Park due to a sponsorship with the Golden Arches. It is a bit out of town but on the Canberra side as you drive in.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

If I am remembering the game correctly, Blake Austin scored a hat trick for City and Josh Reynolds got suspended for belting someone. I think Leilua and Croker played for country. Trent Barrett and Brad Fittler were the coaches.

And I reckon the time of the game got shifted because the test match got washed out on the Friday night.

How is that for memory??
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

Yeah, I had a look on Google Maps. It's a bit on the fringes.

I did see they've dumped a fair bit of money into the main oval in the main bit of town, which also apparently has proper floodlights. Would that be considered as an option I wonder if they wanted us to play a night game?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Jake wrote: August 28, 2018, 9:07 am Get a busload down Ge and I'll put you all up in my backyard. Tent city.
Wagga..Winter..Tent..Outdoors..

Are you trying to kill us champion ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Timbo wrote: August 28, 2018, 12:38 pm Yeah, I had a look on Google Maps. It's a bit on the fringes.

I did see they've dumped a fair bit of money into the main oval in the main bit of town, which also apparently has proper floodlights. Would that be considered as an option I wonder if they wanted us to play a night game?
That is Robertson Oval which is far more central. It is an AFL / cricket ground. They have used it in recent years for AFL preseason games and Shield cricket.

I doubt they would play there, they will play it at the NRL venue. As much of a sporting town as it is, it probably doesn’t boast the facilities of some of the other country NSW towns.
gilby_gillard
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker, 2019 team

Post by gilby_gillard »

I’m an away member so doesn’t impact me.

However I assume this means we won’t lose a home game to the ‘Magic Round’

Potetially that may have happened if we didn’t do something like this?