All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Raiders fined $150,000 for shifting NRL game to Wagga

Post by Botman »

Haha spot on Dr.
They knew it was coming, factored it in, and did it anyways because it made sense for them and their business, and served a little warning shot to the ACT GOV that the club has other options and we deserve better treatment. All just part of the negotiation dance.

It appears the club has handled with a level of competency that we're not really used to.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

So the thing that everyone said would probably happen ended up happening.

Also regardless with who is in government the Raiders and Brumbies don't have very much leverage in terms of negotiations..

Threatening to move to Seiffert? If they continue on their current trajectory the ground will be big enough to fit in the crowd without any upgrades.

BTW didn't the ACT government help fund the development at Braddon as well?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Raiders fined $150,000 for shifting NRL game to Wagga

Post by Sid »

If the ACT government is going to put up another stinker of a deal regarding the new stadium etc I wouldn’t be upset if the club at least explored the option of re-locating elsewhere whether it’s Brisbane, Perth etc. to see if it would put them in considerably stronger stead. But that’s easy for me to say as one of the many ‘out of town’ Raiders fans. For what it’s worth I think it should be viable for the club to stay where it is.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Is there an election coming up in the ACT?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

October 2020.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Re: Raiders penalised $150,000 for shifting NRL game to Wagga

Post by Bay53 »

Giants agreement for comparison. Interestingly the fee can go down if Manuka Oval is redeveloped.

https://www.procurement.act.gov.au/__da ... eement.pdf
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

If you look at the minutes of the Wagga Council meeting where this was discussed, the agreement is actually for 2019 and 2020 with an option for a third year.

The council minutes record 4 votes for the proposal and 4 against. The Mayor used his casting vote and it was passed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote: December 8, 2018, 7:22 am Giants agreement for comparison. Interestingly the fee can go down if Manuka Oval is redeveloped.

Good luck to the ACT government in that! Not that we want a suburban cricket oval redeveloped.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Who's we? You mean you
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Sid wrote: December 7, 2018, 8:39 pm If the ACT government is going to put up another stinker of a deal regarding the new stadium etc I wouldn’t be upset if the club at least explored the option of re-locating elsewhere whether it’s Brisbane, Perth etc. to see if it would put them in considerably stronger stead. But that’s easy for me to say as one of the many ‘out of town’ Raiders fans. For what it’s worth I think it should be viable for the club to stay where it is.
Brisbane?! Perth?!

You’ll have the Board choking on their cornflakes Sid! Surely those places are too far from Queanbeyan?????
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: December 8, 2018, 8:35 am Who's we? You mean you
We the local residents of the surrounding suburbs.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The ACT Govt and AFL/Giants in discussions (informal) for their deal that expires in 3 or 4 seasons yet the Raiders and ACT Govt are yet to meet in relation to a deal that expires in 2019. Says it all really. I can picture Don and Andrew hissing at each other with a tray of limp celery sticks sitting between them.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ACT government could use Canberra Raiders $150,000 penalty to reinvest in sport

The ACT government could use the windfall from imposing a penalty on the Canberra Raiders to secure more sporting content for the capital. Rugby league could still benefit if the $150,000 fine is used to lure the women's State of Origin to the capital, while bidding for Test match rights could also be an option.

"We pay the money to get sporting content in Canberra," Andrew Barr said on Twitter when replying to Raiders fans."The $150k will now be spent on Canberra sporting content. The terms of the agreement with the Raiders are crystal clear."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50l1d.html

Wagga Mayor Greg Conkey defends Canberra Raiders deal after club hit with penalty for Wagga game: https://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/stor ... h-penalty/
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Trying to get the women's state of origin to Canberra sounds exactly like something an AFL stooge would do.

Women's state of origin would be a nice replacement for the game moved to Wagga IMO. I know I'd be going.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

In addition to the funding inequality between the GWS and Raiders, my core issue is the inconsistency in when the ACT government applies a Breach of contract penalty.

Raiders fans should be monitoring and highlighting every time the ACT Government doesn’t investigate potential Contract breaches or when the government waived a breached contract or doesn’t enforce the clause.

We all know this penalty is really about the Raiders support for Clubs ACT and the Election issues. Don’t cross this Chief Minister, he has a track record to seek redress on those who he perceives to have crossed him.

If this fine really was about the money or Contract compliance then the ACT government would be enforcing contract clauses much more often.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I would assume they do but you just don't hear about it.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Trying to get the women's state of origin to Canberra sounds exactly like something an AFL stooge would do.

Women's state of origin would be a nice replacement for the game moved to Wagga IMO. I know I'd be going.
Let's wait to see if it happens first. Talk is cheap. There is no doubt he has his snout in the AFL trough.
BJ
Steve Walters

Raiders penalised $150,000 for shifting NRL game to Wagga

Post by BJ »

edwahu wrote:I would assume they do but you just don't hear about it.
You must have missed the numerous ACT Auditor General findings that say otherwise. Or maybe you have missed the regular media reports outlining a development clause that was ignored or a Government change of contract fee that was quietly waived.

I’m not complaining about applying the Contract terms with the Raiders on behalf of the Canberra taxpayer, I’m complaining about the multiple times the ACT Government ignores regulations, fees and taxes to suit a Union, benefit the Labor Club or prosper a property developer.

From memory the GWS deal didn’t even go through the usual ACT government, Cabinet and Caucus checks and balances.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ACT Government to use Canberra Raiders $150k penalty to reinvest in more sport for the capital

The ACT Government has announced it will invest the $150,000 penalty it imposed on the Canberra Raiders for breaking their contract to secure more sporting content for the nation’s capital. When asked if the ACT Government will attempt to lure rugby league content next year, Sports Minister Yvette Berry said she was discussing future opportunities with the NRL.

“The ACT Government has an open line with the NRL about future opportunities for content.”

Read more: https://the-riotact.com/act-government- ... tal/278108
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

will wait and see what actually happens
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

He'll probably invest it in AusKick?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Bay53 wrote:The contract in question:

Is the GWS equivalent agreement online? I can’t find it by searching the site.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

BJ wrote: December 13, 2018, 10:55 am
Bay53 wrote:The contract in question:

Is the GWS equivalent agreement online? I can’t find it by searching the site.
I posted it above. Although the agreement is actually with the AFL rather than the Giants.