Raiders penalised $150,000 for shifting NRL game to Wagga

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: Wagga to host Canberra Raiders NRL game in 2019 under Wagga City Council deal

Post by Hazza »

All I'm concerned about is the raiders getting 2 points. We're more likely to do that at home than in Wagga. We need all the help we can get. Yeah that's a narrow minded view but idgaf
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Wagga to host Canberra Raiders NRL game in 2019 under Wagga City Council deal

Post by greeneyed »

Because one team cities have 12 games, and it is very difficult for supporters in those cities find it much more difficult to attend away games. There are only 12 appearances for rugby league each year in those cities. In Sydney there are many more games. So, for example, if you're a Rabbitohs supporter, even when your team sacrifices three home games, you still have 12 games at your home stadium.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

greeneyed wrote:Because one team cities have 12 games, and it is very difficult for supporters in those cities find it much more difficult to attend away games. There are only 12 appearances for rugby league each year in those cities. In Sydney there are many more games. So, for example, if you're a Rabbitohs supporter, even when your team sacrifices three home games, you still have 12 games at your home stadium.
And really the Raiders are kinda spoilt that way too. Sydney isn't that far by car so it isn't just 12 games we can go to many more than just that.

I think we can take a game to the local region, expand our brand and get locals both following us and wanting to play for us.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

greeneyed wrote: August 29, 2018, 10:03 am Canberra Raiders to negotiate Canberra Stadium deal to shift to Wagga

The Canberra Raiders will meet with ACT government officials in the coming weeks in the hope of securing flexibility to their stadium contract after shifting a home NRL fixture to Wagga for the next two years. The Raiders have a deal wth the government to play every home match at Canberra Stadium until the end of 2019 and it's understood changing or breaking the arrangement could incur a fine if the parties cannot agree.

A government spokeswoman said: "The ACT government’s agreement with the Raiders - set to expire in December 2019 - requires them to play all home games at [Canberra] Stadium. We’ll seek a discussion with the Raiders in the context of [Tuesday's] announcement."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 5006e.html
Classic Raiders.

I am writing the Sports Minister to request they hold the Raiders to the current arrangement and suggest everyone not supportive of this move should to the same thing.

https://www.contactmyminister.act.gov.au
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

100%green wrote: August 29, 2018, 4:45 pm
greeneyed wrote:Because one team cities have 12 games, and it is very difficult for supporters in those cities find it much more difficult to attend away games. There are only 12 appearances for rugby league each year in those cities. In Sydney there are many more games. So, for example, if you're a Rabbitohs supporter, even when your team sacrifices three home games, you still have 12 games at your home stadium.
And really the Raiders are kinda spoilt that way too. Sydney isn't that far by car so it isn't just 12 games we can go to many more than just that.

I think we can take a game to the local region, expand our brand and get locals both following us and wanting to play for us.

Six or seven hours in a car, a lot of people cannot do that, can't afford to or can't manage it. I feel I can't safely drive seven hours in a day as well as going to an event that lasts two to four hours, maybe more if we are lucky.

I think we can expand our brand and not sacrifice any home games.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

greeneyed wrote:

Six or seven hours in a car, a lot of people cannot do that, can't afford to or can't manage it. I feel I can't safely drive seven hours in a day as well as going to an event that lasts two to four hours, maybe more if we are lucky.

While I see your point, I disagree.

It's also this kind of thinking that holds the game back. All clubs should have to take a game too either the local region, bush or expansion area.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

100%green wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

It's also this kind of thinking that holds the game back. All clubs should have to take a game too either the local region, bush or expansion area.

Yeah I’d like to see each NRL side adopt a regional area, then have a “Regional Round” where all games are played in the country
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Should be done at origin time, with those 4 game rounds
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Wagga Wagga shift could come at a cost

The Canberra Raiders' decision to play one of their NRL home games in Wagga Wagga could cost $150,000. That's the figure listed in the Canberra Raiders Performance Fee Agreement - Canberra Stadium, a 10-year deal between the Green Machine and the ACT government that expires at the end of 2019.

The agreement states the Raiders will pay the government $150,000 in damages for every home game played away from Canberra Stadium. But the government could also choose to waive the fee and simply allow them to play at McDonalds Stadium at no cost.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 500iq.html
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

greeneyed wrote: August 29, 2018, 6:21 pm Canberra Raiders Wagga Wagga shift could come at a cost

The Canberra Raiders' decision to play one of their NRL home games in Wagga Wagga could cost $150,000. That's the figure listed in the Canberra Raiders Performance Fee Agreement - Canberra Stadium, a 10-year deal between the Green Machine and the ACT government that expires at the end of 2019.

The agreement states the Raiders will pay the government $150,000 in damages for every home game played away from Canberra Stadium. But the government could also choose to waive the fee and simply allow them to play at McDonalds Stadium at no cost.

:lol: Unbelievable. The Raiders are asking the ACT Government to give them a pass and waive a $150,000 penalty. Coincidentally, this comes just as the Government is about to incur a $250,000 bill to re-lay the surface at GIO Stadium; a stadium it doesn't actually own!

On the other hand, the ACT Government could accept that the NSW Government has kicked in $4 million to build the centre of excellence, presumably making the Raiders more competitive and travelling to a game in the ACT more enticing for tourists.

Want to bet they reduce the penalty to $75,000 or something so they can get their cake and eat it too?
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

100%green wrote: August 29, 2018, 5:02 pm
greeneyed wrote:

You're assuming the Raiders won't be putting on a bus or two.

Say they don't though. The trip to Wagga from Canberra is about the same as the drive to Sydney. I have to say, that trip leaves me stuffed for about two days after the event due to the actual driving. So, I book a hotel room and stay overnight regardless of whether it's Sydney or Wagga. A cheap room for the night for two adults and two kids under 12 will set you back between $100-140; possibly less if you book way in advance. That trip creeps up to the $200+ mark when you factor in petrol. Then, the four of you will have to eat; at least one lunch (unless you pack the esky), dinner and breakfast.

If you don't give a **** about horse racing (a possible drawcard that keeps getting mentioned) and you don't have friends or relatives there, then there's not much reason to make the trip and possibly blow about $400+ just for a game against a 2nd rate side. So, any griping is kind of pointless because you'll probably do what you would do with any other away game against such an opponent and catch it on TV or your iPad.

Riverina locals will probably flock to the game, the Raiders will get a decent-looking crowd on TV and take home a bigger gate than they might against a low drawing side. Canberrans who do make the trip will perhaps get an appreciation of how good we have it with GIO Stadium.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

100%green wrote: August 29, 2018, 5:02 pm
greeneyed wrote:

I can see your point too, but I disagree too. I think the idea of transferring premiership matches to smaller grounds, with inferior facilities, and guaranteeing smaller crowds, is taking the game backwards. It devalues your premium product and I don't comprehend why the NRL actually pressured the Raiders to do this, when it would make much more sense for an overcrowded Sydney market to take games to the bush, if that is their desire... to compensate for the loss of City V Country. But the NRL should be aiming to grow crowds, not guarantee smaller ones.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

yurithe1 wrote: August 29, 2018, 7:42 pmCanberrans who do make the trip will perhaps get an appreciation of how good we have it with GIO Stadium.
I already understand that. I think the ground is fine for a trial match. I've been there for a trial match. But the bottom line it is not up to standard for an NRL premiership match. There are going to be a lot of disappointed Canberra Raiders members, who will miss a grandstand seat... for what is one of their home games. And pay on top of the effective 9-10 per cent increase in the cost of their membership... because a game has been taken away.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Shouldnt we have sorted the 150k out with the government before we did the deal?

It wouldn't surprise me if they forgot about it all together until they had already signed up to move the game.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

I work everyday but Monday, not a chance I’m driving 6 hours return after work for anything. Would only get a few hours sleep before getting up for work the next day, and those are fairly common hours for the whole hospo industry (and retail).

As an aside, that’s also one less game we get to trade at next year, directly affecting our bottom line.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:Canberra Raiders Wagga Wagga shift could come at a cost

So that’s where the money from the 12th home game is going
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: August 29, 2018, 7:51 pm Shouldnt we have sorted the 150k out with the government before we did the deal?

It wouldn't surprise me if they forgot about it all together until they had already signed up to move the game.
That's certainly not the case.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 29, 2018, 5:09 pm
100%green wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Yeah I’d like to see each NRL side adopt a regional area, then have a “Regional Round” where all games are played in the country
A regional round where teams take a game to the regions every couple of years would be a great initiative.

I guess some clubs would complain they aren't profitable as is without throwing that in the mix. That's the problem with such varied ownership models and financial health throughout the comp - hard to push some promotion of the code.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

yurithe1 wrote: August 29, 2018, 7:19 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 29, 2018, 6:21 pm Canberra Raiders Wagga Wagga shift could come at a cost

:lol: Unbelievable. The Raiders are asking the ACT Government to give them a pass and waive a $150,000 penalty. Coincidentally, this comes just as the Government is about to incur a $250,000 bill to re-lay the surface at GIO Stadium; a stadium it doesn't actually own!

On the other hand, the ACT Government could accept that the NSW Government has kicked in $4 million to build the centre of excellence, presumably making the Raiders more competitive and travelling to a game in the ACT more enticing for tourists.

Want to bet they reduce the penalty to $75,000 or something so they can get their cake and eat it too?
The ACT Government doesn't own the stadium but it is responsible for the upkeep, including the resurfacing of the turf.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: August 29, 2018, 9:24 pm
edwahu wrote: August 29, 2018, 7:51 pm Shouldnt we have sorted the 150k out with the government before we did the deal?

That's certainly not the case.
But edwahu is correct, it should have been sorted out beforehand. If they had forgotten about it (which I am certain they hadn't), they were made aware of it again when I raised it in front of Jason Mathie and their membership staff at a meeting they had with the ACT Government official that is responsibile for the stadium arrangements. This was nothing special for me, it was a meeting all members were invited to after the Tigers game a couple of weeks ago. There were probably only a dozen of us there.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 29, 2018, 9:55 pm
100%green wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
100%green wrote: August 29, 2018, 4:45 pm And really the Raiders are kinda spoilt that way too. Sydney isn't that far by car so it isn't just 12 games we can go to many more than just that.

A regional round where teams take a game to the regions every couple of years would be a great initiative.

I guess some clubs would complain they aren't profitable as is without throwing that in the mix. That's the problem with such varied ownership models and financial health throughout the comp - hard to push some promotion of the code.
I think you will find that they don't want to make it too compulsory for clubs to go to the country because they want local councils to "bid" for matches. Lets be perfectly honest, most of the clubs don't give a stuff about the regions they are going to, they are doing it for the money. They are taking the loss making games to the country and getting the ratepayers of these country towns to pay.

I think it is an issue that needs to be addressed in Australian sport. Sporting organisations are just seeing governments as cash cows. Why were there only two very minor games of the World Cup played in Sydney? Because the ACT, Qld, Victorian and even NT governments put up more cash than the NSW govt was willing to.

Gallop as head of FFA purposefully came out and said that they were selling the World Cup qualifiers to the cities that were putting up the money which was one of the reasons Canberra didn't get a game.

Even in the Canberra context, I can remember years ago when North Melbourne took their three games a year away from Canberra and took them to the Gold Coast, the North president was quoted as saying he would "play them on the moon if he could get more money". The Giants of course get a big grant from the ACT govt to play games here. I have defended that many times on this site, because that is the going rate that the NT and Tas govts pay to get games there. There is an argument to say the Giants needed Canberra more than Canberra needed them initially because they needed to establish a supporter base and they probably did that quicker in Canberra than in Western Sydney. They also have the issue of their ground being unavailable for about 6 weeks every season during and just after the Easter Show, which of course is when they play 2 of their 3 games in Canberra.

I think in some ways the Raiders to have a bit more genuine motives about developing the region and that is fair enough, but make no mistake if there wasn't the Wagga council putting up the money it wouldn't be happening.

(As an aside of course the place is called Wagga Wagga but in the 4 years that I went out with a girl from that town I don't think I ever heard a local call it anything but Wagga)
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

100% this is purely happening because it was part of the deal with NSW centre of excellence money. It will probably be against a traditionally poor drawing team anyway!
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Bay53 wrote: August 29, 2018, 11:01 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 29, 2018, 9:55 pm
100%green wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

I think you will find that they don't want to make it too compulsory for clubs to go to the country because they want local councils to "bid" for matches. Lets be perfectly honest, most of the clubs don't give a stuff about the regions they are going to, they are doing it for the money. They are taking the loss making games to the country and getting the ratepayers of these country towns to pay.

I think it is an issue that needs to be addressed in Australian sport. Sporting organisations are just seeing governments as cash cows. Why were there only two very minor games of the World Cup played in Sydney? Because the ACT, Qld, Victorian and even NT governments put up more cash than the NSW govt was willing to.

Gallop as head of FFA purposefully came out and said that they were selling the World Cup qualifiers to the cities that were putting up the money which was one of the reasons Canberra didn't get a game.

Even in the Canberra context, I can remember years ago when North Melbourne took their three games a year away from Canberra and took them to the Gold Coast, the North president was quoted as saying he would "play them on the moon if he could get more money". The Giants of course get a big grant from the ACT govt to play games here. I have defended that many times on this site, because that is the going rate that the NT and Tas govts pay to get games there. There is an argument to say the Giants needed Canberra more than Canberra needed them initially because they needed to establish a supporter base and they probably did that quicker in Canberra than in Western Sydney. They also have the issue of their ground being unavailable for about 6 weeks every season during and just after the Easter Show, which of course is when they play 2 of their 3 games in Canberra.

I think in some ways the Raiders to have a bit more genuine motives about developing the region and that is fair enough, but make no mistake if there wasn't the Wagga council putting up the money it wouldn't be happening.

(As an aside of course the place is called Wagga Wagga but in the 4 years that I went out with a girl from that town I don't think I ever heard a local call it anything but Wagga)
Only locals can call wagga wagga wagga, i lived in wagga for 3 years so i call wagga wagga wagga but if your not from wagga then you legally must refer to wagga as wagga wagga
Hope this clears everything up
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Bay53 wrote: I will say however that 11 home games is probably about the maximum for all clubs (except the Broncos). 8 teams are playing a home game in Brisbane as part of magic round to start with.
Ah so that’s how it works, 7clubs will have to take their home game to magic round next year.. I suppose if magic round is in Sydney the following year, the home games could default to Sydney teams or something.

I was looking at going to Magic round next year.. if it’s not classed as a Raiders home game does that mean I can’t use my membership ticket to pay for that round?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You could if your membership includes an away game.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Timbo wrote:I’m firmly of the opinion that all teams should have:

11 Home games
11 Away games
2 ‘good for the game’ games.

Those last two can be one of their home games they take away, what would have been an away game that another team has taken away or the magic weekend.

That way the love is shared around but nobody is put at a real disadvantage.

I like this idea. Now that Magic round is in, it wouldn’t be too much to ask

E.g. of the 1 away game for each team

7 for magic round
1 Wellington
1 Christchurch
2 Perth (double header)
1 Darwin
1 Adelaide
1 Cairns
1 Country NSW
1 Overseas (America/China/Islands)

Trials to be encouraged to be taken to smaller grounds
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Next year there's going to be four in NSW country towns for a start. And I expect the Raiders will be taken "away" by at least a couple of Sydney teams.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders announce date of Wagga Wagga match

The NRL has today confirmed the regional locations and dates which will appear in the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership draw, with support from the NSW Government.

The Canberra Raiders will host a game in Wagga Wagga, in Round 8 on Saturday 4 May, with NRL kick-off at 3pm. One curtain raiser will also be held on this day.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/10 ... gga-match/

Canberra Raiders lock in date for Wagga Wagga NRL match: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50apz.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This still grinds my gears. Taking away a home game and the 10 percent price increase in membership prices.

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

8.33%
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: October 19, 2018, 12:11 pm This still grinds my gears. Taking away a home game and the 10 percent price increase in membership prices.

Don’t grind your gears. You won’t be able to drive to Wagga if you do.
Last edited by Bay53 on October 19, 2018, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think that is the weekend before Magic Round
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL taking games to the country in 2019

The NRL will take Telstra Premiership fixtures to Mudgee, Bathurst and Wagga Wagga next season, with support from the NSW Government.

In round three the Penrith Panthers will play in Bathurst (Saturday, March 30), in round eight the Canberra Raiders will play a game in Wagga Wagga (Saturday, May 4) and in round 10 the St George Illawarra Dragons are taking a game to Mudgee (Sunday, May 19).

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/19/nrl ... y-in-2019/

What's the bet that the Raiders are taken by at least one of the Panthers and Dragons to a country venue.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

Considering the debacle against the Panthers in Bathurst, I expect they'll do it.