Post by greeneyed »

NRL Team: Raiders V Rabbitohs

Canberra Raiders V South Sydney Rabbitohs
Saturday 25 August 3:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC, Mix 106.3

The Raiders have named their team for the round 24 match against the South Sydney Rabbitohs at GIO Stadium.

Joe Tapine has been ruled out for the remainder of the season with a broken thumb and will undergo surgery this week. He is expected to recover in around 6 weeks.

Michael Oldfield has been named to make his return from a knee injury in the centres, which sees Elliott Whitehead move back into the second row for the injured Tapine.

After an impressive NRL debut Emre Guler retains his place on the interchange bench, while Aidan Sezer has been named in the extended squad as he looks to return from a hamstring injury.

Canberra Raiders

1. Brad Abbey
2. Nick Cotric
3. Michael Oldfield
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Sam Williams
8. Dunamis Lui
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Sia Soliola
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Emre Guler
15. Junior Paulo
16. Siliva Havili
17. Luke Bateman

18. Jack Murchie
19. Liam Knight
20. Makahesi Makatoa
21. Aidan Sezer

South Sydney Rabbitohs

1. Alex Johnston
2. Campbell Graham
3. Greg Inglis
4. Dane Gagai
5. Hymel Hunt
6. Cody Walker
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Thomas Burgess
9. Damien Cook
10. George Burgess
11. John Sutton
12. Angus Crichton
13. Sam Burgess

14. Braidon Burns
15. Cameron Murray
16. Jason Clark
17. Tevita Tatola

18. Richard Kennar
19. Tyrell Fuimaono
20. Dean Britt
21. Mawene Hiroti

Officials:

Referees: Adam Gee, Gavin Reynolds
Sideline Officials: Clayton Sharpe, Jarrod Cole
Video Referees: Luke Patten, Ben Cummins

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersSouths

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2018 #FromAllAngles

Mounties teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: 2018 Rd 24 V Rabbitohs: Teams and Previews

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: August 21, 2018, 2:58 pm
zim wrote: August 21, 2018, 2:55 pm
-PJ- wrote: August 21, 2018, 2:31 pm
zim wrote: August 21, 2018, 10:57 am 1. Brad Abbey
2. Michael Oldfield
3. Nick Cotric
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Sam Williams
8. Shannon Boyd
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Sia Soliola
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Siliva Havili
15. Luke Bateman
16. Emre Guler
17. Junior Paulo
Last home ever for Brake and you drop him.. You cruel bugger..
I run a tight ship pj. :lol:
TBH I completely forgot about that. Here's the revised side:

1. Brad Abbey
2. Michael Oldfield
3. Nick Cotric
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Sam Williams
8. Emre Guler
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Sia Soliola
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Josh Papalii

14. Jack Murchie
15. Siliva Havili
16. Liam Knight
17. Luke Bateman
:hmmm better...
:roflmao
edwahu

Re: 2018 Rd 24 V Rabbitohs: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by edwahu »

Oldfield can't seriously be playing center.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

If ASezer is good to go I'd like to see Brake miss out.

Sad being his last home game but..

Either way it's good to see Turkish Delight retain his spot.

Maybe Brake back to bench and Bateman the man to miss out ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

edwahu wrote: August 21, 2018, 4:04 pm Oldfield can't seriously be playing center.
He's filled in there at least once this year IIRC..

I like Smelly back on the edge.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Matt's matchups will be interesting this week. Inglis can't win because of the injury rule.
Oldfield at centre is a bad move. He's played so well at wing and Cotric is a way better defender.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Would like to see Knight and Murchie over the last two rounds. Give them both a bit of confidence and motivation heading into pre-season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward Joe Tapine ruled out for the rest of the season

Joe Tapine's broken thumb makes him the fourth Canberra Raiders player ruled out for rest of the season, but coach Ricky Stuart looks set to welcome back Michael Oldfield and potentially Aidan Sezer.

While the 24-year-old will miss the Raiders' final home game against South Sydney on Saturday afternoon, as well as the round 25 clash with the New Zealand Warriors in Auckland, a recovery time of about six weeks means he should be available for New Zealand's end-of-season Tests.

Raiders: 1. Brad Abbey, 2. Nick Cotric, 3. Michael Oldfield, 4. Joey Leilua, 5. Jordan Rapana, 6. Blake Austin, 7. Sam Williams, 8. Dunamis Lui, 9. Josh Hodgson (c), 10. Shannon Boyd, 11. Sia Soliola, 12. Elliott Whitehead, 13. Josh Papalii. Interchange from: 14. Emre Guler, 15. Junior Paulo, 16. Siliva Havili, 17. Luke Bateman, 18. Jack Murchie, 19. Liam Knight, 20. Makahesi Makatoa, 21. Aidan Sezer.

Rabbitohs: 1. Alex Johnston, 2. Campbell Graham, 3. Greg Inglis (c), 4. Dane Gagai, 5. Hymel Hunt, 6. Cody Walker, 7. Adam Reynolds, 8. Thomas Burgess, 9. Damien Cook, 10. George Burgess, 11. John Sutton, 12. Angus Crichton, 13. Sam Burgess. Interchange from: 14. Braidon Burns, 15. Cameron Murray, 16. Jason Clark, 17. Tevita Tatola, 18. Richard Kennar, 19. Tyrell Fuimaono, 20. Dean Britt, 21. Mawene Hiroti.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zyqn.html
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-PJ- wrote: August 21, 2018, 4:11 pm
edwahu wrote: August 21, 2018, 4:04 pm Oldfield can't seriously be playing center.

I recall how terrible Oldfield was there.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

In his defence he was busted, but it was the worst game I've seen him play
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

edwahu wrote: August 21, 2018, 4:45 pm
-PJ- wrote: August 21, 2018, 4:11 pm

I recall how terrible Oldfield was there.
Well I didn't say he was any good.. :)
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Luke Patten as the video ref again is a surprise after the debacle he put on in our match against Cronulla. I clearly recall him saying he didn't see the touch judges flag go up. Yet it was in about 3 different angle replays. He was the video ref - so what on Earth was he watching?? I'll run with GE's unconscious bias when it comes to Patten.

Let the clangers begin.

A shame about Tapine and his broken thumb. He has looked in great form since his return from suspension. I have always liked Shannon Boyd. Here's hoping he can back up his form of last week against the Burgess Bros. BJ you don't have to follow a player across field when he doesn't have the ball. Particularly when you don't communicate with the players to your immediate left. The most dangerous player on the field is the bloke with the ball in his hands. Concentrate on stopping whoever that may be.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Oh well yet another season is just about over and we all know deep deep down that the Raiders should be playing Finals footy just like last year. In 2019 we lose Paulo, Boyd, Austin and a few others but we can only afford two SL players a forward and a back.

I have never been a huge fan of William sure he is ok but not a half yo guide a NRL team to a GF. Now that leaves us with Sezer, Hingano and any Mounties halves should Stuart name them in the final 25.
Oh and I am NOT a fan of Stuart trying Wigjton at half again he tried that already and he tried that for a long long time and it was a horrible failure. Wigjton should be at Centre not at FB.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote: August 21, 2018, 4:10 pm If ASezer is good to go I'd like to see Brake miss out.

Sad being his last home game but..

Either way it's good to see Turkish Delight retain his spot.

Maybe Brake back to bench and Bateman the man to miss out ?
I'm on board with Brake to the bench. His best performances in 2 years have been from there. With Guler, Paulo and Havili there you've got the middle covered. Bateman adds very little.

Of course it's all dependent on Sezer being available.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Nah surely Cotric plays centre and Oldfield on the wing. It couldn't be possible that he's thinking of getting that so awfully wrong again.

Abbey has looked as shaky under the high ball as any NRL fullback in recent memory. Adam Reynolds is going to have a field day I reckon. I know what my tactics would be but aside from Rapana or Cotric back there again there is no quick fix.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brad Abbey answers Canberra Raiders' prayers in stopping GI

If Brad Abbey was in any doubt over the big job in front of him, all the Canberra Raiders fullback needs to do is remember the name Greg Inglis. Inglis has scored more tries than anyone else against the Green Machine. He's run in 18 during his 18 games and enjoyed 15 wins along the way.

"It will be important this week against the Rabbitohs, they're a top team," Abbey said. "It's not going to be easy, it's going to be tough, but the boys are up for it. As long as I can do my job and lead the boys around. GI's back. We've got the team to deal with him. I feel confident with our structures and our game plan, we'll do well."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zz2h.html

Video: Cotric: Our confidence is back: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... e-is-back/

Game Day Guide: Raiders v Rabbitohs: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... rabbitohs/
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Well at least he has some confidence in himself. Let's see what he can do, but I was not convinced by him letting that high ball bounce last week. If we are under pressure on our line for long periods of time I hope Sticky is flexible enough to switch Cotric back to FB and Abbey out to the wing. Hmm flexibility and Sticky nah what am I thinking.
Last edited by RedRaider on August 23, 2018, 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders determined to finish lost NRL season with a bang

They're out of the dreaded wooden spoon zone after their upset win over the Roosters on the weekend and their finals dreams ended weeks ago but don't try telling Canberra they've got nothing to play for.

"It was one of the most complete performances for the 80 minutes this season," Sam Williams said. "We've all spoken about how we've had patches when we've been really good, and I thought we managed to put it together for the full game. So, we take a bit of confidence but we've got a good Bunnies side coming down so anything less than what we gave last weekend won't be enough."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/22/can ... th-a-bang/

AUDIO: Ricky Stuart's hilarious response to reports Trent Barrett is headed to Canberra: https://omny.fm/shows/the-rush-hour-wit ... ur-with-mg

VIDEO: GI ready to roll against the Raiders: https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/gi-read ... qrj5e0e0gw
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart faces half a problem

How does three go into two? It's the problem that Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart's faced all year and it's raising its head again over the final two rounds. Raiders halfback Sam Williams said how Aidan Sezer (hamstring) pulls up after Wednesday's training session would determine whether he could return to face the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Canberra Stadium on Saturday.

"We'll have a training run this afternoon and have a bit more of an idea. We haven't been on the field yet [this week] so it's hard to say," Williams said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zypt.html
Green thumbs
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Green thumbs »

greeneyed wrote: August 21, 2018, 2:52 pm Member Appreciation Round at GIO Stadium this Saturday: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... -saturday/
I’m sure I’m not the only person on the Eastern side who would have liked some appreciation after the game last week. Sia Soliola was the only team member who came over to acknowledge the crowd after the game. I think that’s pretty bad form. If they lose they never come over (which I think is bad - we have all cheered as loud as we can to encourage them on) so at least when they win, they could give their fans a bit of thanks.
What do other people think?
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

It’s beyond me how Tapine is out due to injury and Murchie isn’t in the side to replace him.

Furthermore Boyd and Paulo who won’t be with us next year continue to be picked!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
w3b3d1g1
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by w3b3d1g1 »

I forgot about Sezer even being in the squad. I reckon the Raiders should too.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Green thumbs wrote:
greeneyed wrote: August 21, 2018, 2:52 pm Member Appreciation Round at GIO Stadium this Saturday: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... -saturday/
I’m sure I’m not the only person on the Eastern side who would have liked some appreciation after the game last week. Sia Soliola was the only team member who came over to acknowledge the crowd after the game. I think that’s pretty bad form. If they lose they never come over (which I think is bad - we have all cheered as loud as we can to encourage them on) so at least when they win, they could give their fans a bit of thanks.
What do other people think?
They normally do, even after a loss. I noticed the lights pretty much went off as soon as the full time whistle went so am presuming they were directed to get going and not stay on the field

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

LastRaider wrote: August 22, 2018, 9:29 pm It’s beyond me how Tapine is out due to injury and Murchie isn’t in the side to replace him.

Furthermore Boyd and Paulo who won’t be with us next year continue to be picked!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I love Sia - but every year that passes shows he is a middle third player now.

We have a really good edge backrower coming through, and our season is gone.

Murchie should 100% be starting this week.

Sia, Lui, Knight, Guler should be running the prop rotation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders fullback Brad Abbey soaking up the experience as he continues to impress

Brad Abbey is enjoying life in the NRL at fullback and is hoping to further improve as the green machine get set to tackle the Rabbitohs this weekend at GIO Stadium.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... o-impress/

Match Preview: Raiders v Rabbitohs: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... rabbitohs/

NRL.com preview Raiders v Rabbitohs - Round 24: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... -round-24/

Canberra Raiders and Denman Prospect aiming to raise $90k for Homes for Homes: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... for-homes/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders need 14 points to raise $90k for Australia's housing crisis

Fourteen points. That's what the Canberra Raiders need to score against the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Canberra Stadium on Saturday to help raise $90,000 for Home for Homes. For every point the Raiders scored at home this season $100 was raised towards the charity that tackles Australia's housing crisis.

Together the Raiders and Denman Prospect donated $34,000 in 2016 and $29,200 last year, and need just $1400 to reach $90,000 raised over the past three seasons.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zz7e.html

Canberra Times podcast: Raiders revival: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zzb6.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Joe Tapine still hopeful of giving Kiwis a hand

Canberra Raiders second-rower Joe Tapine is hopeful of playing in New Zealand's end-of-season Tests after he underwent surgery on his broken thumb on Tuesday. The 24-year-old could be back in time for the Kiwis' five Tests in October and November. He has a check up in two weeks when he'll get a better idea of when he'll be back.

"There's a lot of players playing now and in finals that will deserve a spot. I'm still hopeful to get back in time and get a spot in the team.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zz9e.html
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

They're mad if he's not starting in the 2nd row.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

zim wrote: August 23, 2018, 7:29 pm They're mad if he's not starting in the 2nd row.
Bonkers..
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

They'll have some interesting decisions to make out wide. For them not me; Fus, RTS, Rappa should be a lock for the back 3. DWZ can stay in Penrith.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

greeneyed wrote: August 22, 2018, 6:44 pm Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart faces half a problem

How does three go into two? It's the problem that Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart's faced all year and it's raising its head again over the final two rounds. Raiders halfback Sam Williams said how Aidan Sezer (hamstring) pulls up after Wednesday's training session would determine whether he could return to face the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Canberra Stadium on Saturday.

"We'll have a training run this afternoon and have a bit more of an idea. We haven't been on the field yet [this week] so it's hard to say," Williams said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zypt.html
Blake drops out. Problem solved.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

zim wrote: August 23, 2018, 7:48 pm They'll have some interesting decisions to make out wide. For them not me; Fus, RTS, Rappa should be a lock for the back 3. DWZ can stay in Penrith.
I Think Fusitua is staying with Tonga
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

kiwi raider wrote:
zim wrote: August 23, 2018, 7:48 pm They'll have some interesting decisions to make out wide. For them not me; Fus, RTS, Rappa should be a lock for the back 3. DWZ can stay in Penrith.
I Think Fusitua is staying with Tonga
Ah I keep forgetting about that. I'd say you're right.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart rules Aidan Sezer out of Canberra Raiders clash with South Sydney Rabbitohs

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says Aidan Sezer's dodgy hamstring means he won't play South Sydney, but he expects the halfback to be fit for round 25.

"I think he'll be available for selection next week. He won't be right for this weekend's game," Stuart said on Friday.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zz7w.html

Canberra Raiders want winning feeling back: Stuart

Canberra halfback Aidan Sezer won't take to GIO Stadium for the Raiders' clash with South Sydney.

"You hear people talk about learning how to win and it's a very important part of a makeup of the squad," Ricky Stuart said. We've had an awfully lot of close losses this year and we had a very close win last week so it's feeling, it's an emotion and something players leaarn how to do. That type of game last week is good for learning how to win, a tough game against tough opposition and it's something that will be fronting us again tomorrow."

Read more: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/raiders-wan ... ack-stuart
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders look to spoil South Sydney Rabbitohs' Cook

How do you cook Rabbitohs? Ironically by shutting down their Cook. Damien Cook has turned himself into the heir apparent to Cameron Smith's Australian hooking throne and Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart sees him as the key.

"The Burgess boys have been the leader of the consistency of their game this year. They're a big, powerful pack of forwards. The player we really have to watch is Damien Cook. He's had a wonderful season, he's a very good player, he's very sharp out of dummy half and creates all sorts of problems if you don't get the middle of your ruck defence right.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zzfe.html

Video: Round 24: The Final Word: Ricky Stuart: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... inal-word/

Gallery: Round 24 Captain's Run: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... tains-run/