Moderator: GH Moderators

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Ricky Stuart on ABC Canberra Grandstand

Post by Schifty »

Roy Rover wrote: August 19, 2018, 9:22 am
gergreg wrote:
Roy Rover wrote: August 18, 2018, 9:48 pm I wonder if Polkie will come in for any special treatment from Ricky at the post match press conference.
He's probably been blacklisted from any Raiders functions just so he learns his place.

If you read Polkinghorne’s latest piece he mentions Ricky is not answering his calls ImageImageImage
Ah yes, with that mature leadership I am so shocked our side has a problem with discipline.

No wonder Jordy Raps likes telling the officials they are wrong!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Markus Babbel wrote:But our fans don’t owe the team anything. It’s up to us to give them a reason to be loud. It is up to us to give them a reason to cheer. Whether we are winning or behind in a game, I want our fans to be proud. It’s up to the players to show that they will give everything for the shirt.
Just read this from the new Wanderers coach. I just wanted to point out the differences between the way the 2 coaches approach fan reactions
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

There's no doubting Stuarts passion for the club but he's just not the right man for the coaching job. I think he'd be much better as a general manager.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

gergreg wrote:
Roy Rover wrote: August 18, 2018, 9:48 pm I wonder if Polkie will come in for any special treatment from Ricky at the post match press conference.
He's probably been blacklisted from any Raiders functions just so he learns his place.

If you read Polkinghorne’s latest piece he mentions Ricky is not answering his calls ImageImageImage
I think I've seen this tactic before. Has Ricky called him or the Canberra Times "fake news" yet?
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

BigPapa wrote: August 19, 2018, 11:11 am There's no doubting Stuarts passion for the club but he's just not the right man for the coaching job. I think he'd be much better as a general manager.
No. Absolutely not. He should be kept away from anything like that.

I keep saying he should be made the community relations director. That way he can tie in his autism work and bring in players who are interested in doing charity work. Whether those players would welcome Ricky sticking his nose into something they're probably passionate about is another matter.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

yurithe1 wrote: August 19, 2018, 11:33 am
gergreg wrote:

I think I've seen this tactic before. Has Ricky called him or the Canberra Times "fake news" yet?
If I find out my membership dollars have been used to pay off P*rn stars I will **** lose it.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: ABC Canberra Grandstand after 11am

Post by Hazza »

greeneyed wrote: August 18, 2018, 11:28 am I'm almost sure Ricky was calling David Polkinghorne, "Pokemon"... !
And did he call Piggy 'Matt Riddell' or was I hearing things?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The only thing I agree with Stuart on is Riddell’s opinion on the Raiders counts for nothing.

Riddell only made the comment about Stuart in defence of his mate Mcgregor at the Dragons.

Riddell has talked down the Raiders on radio numerous times.

Riddell has missed pronounced Raiders players names on Radio and confused players who are currently injured or saying we should play blokes who have actually already left the club.

Riddell can make negative comments about the Raiders whenever he consistently watches their games and provides accurate comments on the game itself.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

His comments in this relation to Ricky Stuart and his performance were as accurate as they could be, BJ
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Coaching at any level is a tough gig. I'm certainly not defending Stuart or his record, but I do think it is fair to say he has been let down by a number of players - much like Dave Furner was before him.

Wighton, Papalii and Leilua in particular need to take their jobs seriously, both on and off the field. These three are match winners who have let the club down in various ways. Hopefully losing Boyd, Paulo and Austin will see the rest of the boys be more team-focused, rather than be distracted by what's over the horizon. Furthermore, hopefully the two new Poms make a positive impact on our culture.

Changing the fortunes of this club is bigger than just changing the head coach.

Ricky will be here next season and he will have a different assistant coaching setup. Losing Crawley is a massive blow, but we can only hope whoever comes in is able to make the necessary changes to fix some of our fundamental issues in defence. If somebody can nail that issue, the sky is the limit.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 19, 2018, 2:13 pm Coaching at any level is a tough gig. I'm certainly not defending Stuart or his record, but I do think it is fair to say he has been let down by a number of players - much like Dave Furner was before him.

Wighton, Papalii and Leilua in particular need to take their jobs seriously, both on and off the field. These three are match winners who have let the club down in various ways. Hopefully losing Boyd, Paulo and Austin will see the rest of the boys be more team-focused, rather than be distracted by what's over the horizon. Furthermore, hopefully the two new Poms make a positive impact on our culture.

Ricky will be here next season and he will have a different assistant coaching setup. Losing Crawley is a massive blow, but we can only hope whoever comes in is able to make the necessary changes to fix some of our fundamental issues in defence. If somebody can nail that issue, the sky is the limit.
You shouldn't lose sight of the fact that Ricky has recruited and/or retained all the blokes you mention.

A big part of managing any high performance organisation is effective recruitment and retention. It's not good enough to recruit a guy just because he has the right set of skills. You also need a player with the right attitude. There's no point having one of the most talented footballers on the planet if that footballer is an entitled wanker who half the squad would rather not have to play with. Similarly, you get more value out of the guy who is bog average but works hard every week than the guy who is SOO level one week and reserve grade level the next 3.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Well said chach

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Green eyed Mick wrote: August 19, 2018, 3:33 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: August 19, 2018, 2:13 pm Coaching at any level is a tough gig. I'm certainly not defending Stuart or his record, but I do think it is fair to say he has been let down by a number of players - much like Dave Furner was before him.

You shouldn't lose sight of the fact that Ricky has recruited and/or retained all the blokes you mention.

A big part of managing any high performance organisation is effective recruitment and retention. It's not good enough to recruit a guy just because he has the right set of skills. You also need a player with the right attitude. There's no point having one of the most talented footballers on the planet if that footballer is an entitled wanker who half the squad would rather not have to play with. Similarly, you get more value out of the guy who is bog average but works hard every week than the guy who is SOO level one week and reserve grade level the next 3.
Yep, that is true. It has certainly been more good luck than good management that Austin, Paulo and Boyd are going elsewhere for example.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

nemesis wrote: August 18, 2018, 1:12 pm He's spot on, he's talking about all the know everything **** on social media, if the shoe fits, lace it up people. no matter what he say's he cops it, everyone just looking to spin his words and make it something it's not, i can see that just from reading the comments here.

So many parra fans still to this say blame him for parra's **** show, brain dead idiots who have no clue.
People say he only won a comp because he inherited a great team, still a **** coach would have blown that opportunity and not won.

It's a hard gig and so many people who wouldn't have the slightest clue what to do think they have all the answer's, i reckon a fair few of those people are terrible at their jobs or don't even have one.

The world is full of social media sooks and know it all's.
I get paid a tenth of what he gets yet I still have a tough job (relatively speaking). If my main KPI was below 50% I would be sacked.

I've achieved plenty in my life thanks. I've rescued a marriage, I've created and raised 2 great kids, I contribute to my local community (and football club).

I may not have the profile he has but he can get **** if he thinks I've never achieved anything in my life.

And also, I was supporting this club BEFORE he was a part of it.
Last edited by hrundi89 on August 19, 2018, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

nemesis wrote: August 18, 2018, 5:35 pm of course people are entitled to their opinion but some people carry on like pork chops and like i have said think they could do a better job but couldn't in a million years.

yes the defence and close losses have been super frustrating and i'm sure he he is just as annoyed and he has mentioned it, not everything is up to the coach to fix, players need to be held accountable too and i think they have as our 3 biggest disappointing have been moved on and we have a few coming in that should do well and help fix some issues.

people saying he's so bad because we went from 2nd to missing the 8 twice, yes it doesn't look good but i feel he has had some excuses this year with injuries, suspensions and there are 3-4 games where refereeing calls cost us 2 points.

Look at the cowboys, GF to spoon contenders and they re-signed their coach and brisbane tried to get him, Parra, tipped to go well and spoon contenders and arthur was the man last year, it just goes to show how hard the comp is for so many reasons, some out of clubs control.

People mention his record but he has also taken on 3 clubs in a **** position, all these other coaches who everyone go on about as the greatest coaches like bellamy and bennet (don't get me wrong they are great coaches) would never take on such a hard task like stuart has and their teams as we all know get gifted games left, right and centre which helps their win record hugely, they have had some of the best players ever to play and are at clubs that find it easy to get TPA's and have centre of excellence's which we will have soon.

At the end of the day you won't find a man that bleeds as much green as him and wants the club to succeed, the stuff he has done with the community and past legends, not to mention the membership growth and the players all love him, if he was ever replaced as coach it would have to be with him moving to another role with the club where he can continue he's good work he has started for the club.
nemesis, you're falling into a trap many are here. Not a solitary person on here begging for Ricky to be sacked doubts what he has done for the community, or bringing back in the old boys, or bleeding green. He loves the club and the community and that is well known. You'll do well to get an argument with anyone on that. The issue is that I support the Canberra Raiders and want us to win a footy match every weekend, so what the coach does outside of providing that vehicle is just details. His record is terrible and he's not up to getting a 1st grade team to challenge for a grand final or even finals in this modern era. That's all you need to worry about, not what he does away from the rectangle and you'll be bloody hard pressed to make a strong case for him being the right man for the job for that criteria.

I also found the coach's comments against Riddell to be obscene. He's got problems beyond not being up to coaching at NRL level.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Pigman wrote:His comments in this relation to Ricky Stuart and his performance were as accurate as they could be, BJ
To be frank, I was having a shot at Riddell for never showing the slightest interest in the Raiders until the media started on his mate Mcgregor. Not the content of his comments.

Riddell should have been making these comments about Stuart many weeks ago, instead of wondering why Scott Sorensen didn’t get a place in the match team in front of Liam Knight.