2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Raiders 13+
1
8%
Raiders 1-12
1
8%
Draw
0
No votes
Roosters 1-12
2
17%
Roosters 13+
8
67%
 
Total votes: 12

User avatar
Beejay
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1992
Joined: April 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Beejay » August 20, 2018, 4:54 pm

Pigman wrote:
edwahu wrote:
August 20, 2018, 9:32 am
Pigman wrote:
August 20, 2018, 7:29 am
gergreg wrote:
August 20, 2018, 7:27 am
Pigman wrote:
August 19, 2018, 9:33 pm
Trent Robinson is a great coach. Shame on those who didnt believe in him a few years, those posts have aged TERRIBLY
:lol:
Yes only the greatest of coaches find success at that battling club the Roosters. Still, got to hand it to Uncle Nick; successful businessman and club boss, though I hear he really needs to work on his putting - as a great golfer once said "you drive for show and putt for dough".
Give it up, Onoda!
This war was won and lost years ago, unfortunately you were on the wrong side.
The jury is still well and truly out. Uncle Nick will probably give him the tap on the shoulder if he doesn't win this year with the best squad in the comp that he purchased for him.
Bruh
The jury came in years ago, the verdict has been given, sentencing already taken place, ****, the guilty party is almost up for parole.

It’s just the crazy’s left in the court room mumbling to themselves about how a dude who in the last 5 years has won a comp and made the prelim finals 4/5 years isn’t a good coach
2016 was one of the biggest coaching fails this century. To come 2nd last with that squad, and all of the advantages the Roosters club has... my word.
Saved from getting the spoon only, by the worst first grade football team to ever compete in the NRL era.

Oh he’s doing well this year after his off season signings of Cronk and Tedesco?
Must be the brilliant game plans he develops.

I’d take Wayne Bennett every day of the week over that bloke.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6685
Joined: March 3, 2007, 7:02 pm

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by RedRaider » August 20, 2018, 5:36 pm

Didn't the Chooks have that diversion of Mitchell Pearce's dog act prior to the season starting in 2016 and also lost James Maloney to the Sharks and RTS across the ditch, Cordner was injured half the season? I understand we have a 'no excuses' bias on the GH, but sometimes there is a combination of factors which can derail a season. Not usually multiple seasons, but at least a season.
FTR the Chooks are one of my least favourite Clubs, down there with Manly, so yesterdays victory was extra sweet for me.

User avatar
gangrenous
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8341
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by gangrenous » August 20, 2018, 5:41 pm

Sid wrote:Don’t current and former players usually hand the debutant their jersey ? Emre Guler should’ve had it presented by Murchie
You’re assuming EDIT.

User avatar
BJ
David Furner
Posts: 3060
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by BJ » August 20, 2018, 6:05 pm

I’m going to be honest here and say a big reason for that win yesterday was Roosters players being absolutely punished in a very very heavy training week with their coach having a view to the finals in a few weeks time.

Might also explain Storms losses a few weeks ago as they also did a pre finals fitness tune up.

Roosters were pretty lethargic yesterday. But our boys were fantastic and really put in.


User avatar
Beejay
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1992
Joined: April 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Beejay » August 20, 2018, 6:08 pm

RedRaider wrote:
August 20, 2018, 5:36 pm
Didn't the Chooks have that diversion of Mitchell Pearce's dog act prior to the season starting in 2016 and also lost James Maloney to the Sharks and RTS across the ditch, Cordner was injured half the season? I understand we have a 'no excuses' bias on the GH, but sometimes there is a combination of factors which can derail a season. Not usually multiple seasons, but at least a season.
FTR the Chooks are one of my least favourite Clubs, down there with Manly, so yesterdays victory was extra sweet for me.
Pearce returned in Rd8
They won 6 games the whole season...

He’s ALWAYS had a top4 roster

Hazza
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 591
Joined: March 1, 2016, 3:14 pm
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Hazza » August 20, 2018, 6:19 pm

Beejay wrote:
August 20, 2018, 4:54 pm
Pigman wrote:
edwahu wrote:
August 20, 2018, 9:32 am
Pigman wrote:
August 20, 2018, 7:29 am
gergreg wrote:
August 20, 2018, 7:27 am


:lol:
Yes only the greatest of coaches find success at that battling club the Roosters. Still, got to hand it to Uncle Nick; successful businessman and club boss, though I hear he really needs to work on his putting - as a great golfer once said "you drive for show and putt for dough".
Give it up, Onoda!
This war was won and lost years ago, unfortunately you were on the wrong side.
The jury is still well and truly out. Uncle Nick will probably give him the tap on the shoulder if he doesn't win this year with the best squad in the comp that he purchased for him.
Bruh
The jury came in years ago, the verdict has been given, sentencing already taken place, ****, the guilty party is almost up for parole.

It’s just the crazy’s left in the court room mumbling to themselves about how a dude who in the last 5 years has won a comp and made the prelim finals 4/5 years isn’t a good coach
2016 was one of the biggest coaching fails this century. To come 2nd last with that squad, and all of the advantages the Roosters club has... my word.
Saved from getting the spoon only, by the worst first grade football team to ever compete in the NRL era.

Oh he’s doing well this year after his off season signings of Cronk and Tedesco?
Must be the brilliant game plans he develops.

I’d take Wayne Bennett every day of the week over that bloke.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And how bout in the prelim last year when he had Mitch Aubusson starting in the centres and Daniel Tupou on the bench. Bought Tupou on with 10 to go when the game was gone. I agree. Robbo far from the supercoach some make out.

User avatar
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1315
Joined: June 28, 2010, 9:23 pm
Favourite Player: Campese

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by roneel78 » August 20, 2018, 7:09 pm

BJ wrote:I’m going to be honest here and say a big reason for that win yesterday was Roosters players being absolutely punished in a very very heavy training week with their coach having a view to the finals in a few weeks time.

Might also explain Storms losses a few weeks ago as they also did a pre finals fitness tune up.

Roosters were pretty lethargic yesterday. But our boys were fantastic and really put in.
I would say its more to do with their huge game against Souths last weekend. That was one of the more physical games this year. Both teams started flat and slow this weekend.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Pigman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22213
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Pigman » August 20, 2018, 7:14 pm

Beejay wrote:
August 20, 2018, 4:54 pm
2016 was one of the biggest coaching fails this century. To come 2nd last with that squad, and all of the advantages the Roosters club has... my word.
Saved from getting the spoon only, by the worst first grade football team to ever compete in the NRL era.

Oh he’s doing well this year after his off season signings of Cronk and Tedesco?
Must be the brilliant game plans he develops.

I’d take Wayne Bennett every day of the week over that bloke.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was a classic year from hell scenario. They started the year missing most of their pack, they had lost RTS and James Maloney, and started the year without Pearce. That's 3 of their spine, and not just three spine members, their BEST three spine members.

STT was raw and not yet the player he was going to become, Mitchell was a 19 year old rookie who was full of mistakes, Danial Tupou had a season so bad they almost shipped him off, SKD was at his peak levels of SKD in terms of astounding errors. Kane Evans played 3 games.
in 2016 Cordner, Hargraves, Pearce all played 50% of less of the season

And you want to take Wayne Bennett, who has all the advantages the roosters have AND MORE, with a squad equally stacked and has done even LESS with it? Goodness me.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Prepare the cannon!

User avatar
Pigman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22213
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Pigman » August 20, 2018, 7:30 pm

Tune in next week on the GH for the next exciting instalments of "Are we sure he's a good coach?"

It's a special double edition featuring Craig Bellemy and Jack Gibson!
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Prepare the cannon!

User avatar
Beejay
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1992
Joined: April 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Beejay » August 20, 2018, 8:54 pm

Pigman wrote:
August 20, 2018, 7:14 pm
Beejay wrote:
August 20, 2018, 4:54 pm
2016 was one of the biggest coaching fails this century. To come 2nd last with that squad, and all of the advantages the Roosters club has... my word.
Saved from getting the spoon only, by the worst first grade football team to ever compete in the NRL era.

Oh he’s doing well this year after his off season signings of Cronk and Tedesco?
Must be the brilliant game plans he develops.

I’d take Wayne Bennett every day of the week over that bloke.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was a classic year from hell scenario. They started the year missing most of their pack, they had lost RTS and James Maloney, and started the year without Pearce. That's 3 of their spine, and not just three spine members, their BEST three spine members.

STT was raw and not yet the player he was going to become, Mitchell was a 19 year old rookie who was full of mistakes, Danial Tupou had a season so bad they almost shipped him off, SKD was at his peak levels of SKD in terms of astounding errors. Kane Evans played 3 games.
in 2016 Cordner, Hargraves, Pearce all played 50% of less of the season

And you want to take Wayne Bennett, who has all the advantages the roosters have AND MORE, with a squad equally stacked and has done even LESS with it? Goodness me.
EXCUSES

Also interesting to note Wayne Bennett has never had that nightmare scenario ever happen to him in 20+ years of coaching a glamour club. HAS NOT MISSED THE FINALS
Must just be lucky

Also the Roosters have had a better roster than the Broncos since Wayne has been back, yet only one coach has got his team to a Grandfinal. The other has bombed out when it mattered with a premiership winning roster repeatedly

User avatar
Beejay
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1992
Joined: April 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Beejay » August 20, 2018, 8:57 pm

Pigman wrote:
August 20, 2018, 7:30 pm
Tune in next week on the GH for the next exciting instalments of "Are we sure he's a good coach?"

It's a special double edition featuring Craig Bellemy and Jack Gibson!
It almost sounds like your comparing Trent Robinson to two of the greatest coaches in Australian sport?
You’ve outdone yourself for dumb takes here

User avatar
Pigman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22213
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Pigman » August 20, 2018, 9:03 pm

Beejay wrote:
August 20, 2018, 8:57 pm
Pigman wrote:
August 20, 2018, 7:30 pm
Tune in next week on the GH for the next exciting instalments of "Are we sure he's a good coach?"

It's a special double edition featuring Craig Bellemy and Jack Gibson!
It almost sounds like your comparing Trent Robinson to two of the greatest coaches in Australian sport?
You’ve outdone yourself for dumb takes here
Well that might be right, except people on the GH actually DO question Bellemy's credentials! I'm not saying they are on the same level, im just saying the GH has an amazing ability to continue to cast doubts over really great coaches...

****, more than a few on this site have questioned Bennett too and not 2018 Bennett, PEAK Bennett! This place is **** mental. That's my **** point. Coaches who have astounding levels of success are doubted all over the show here
Last edited by Pigman on August 20, 2018, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Prepare the cannon!

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 119885
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by greeneyed » August 20, 2018, 9:03 pm

The GH doesn't do it... some people who post on the site might...
Image

User avatar
Pigman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22213
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Pigman » August 20, 2018, 9:04 pm

greeneyed wrote:
August 20, 2018, 9:03 pm
The GH doesn't do it... some people who post on the site might...
Apologies... some members of the GH do it.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Prepare the cannon!

User avatar
Pigman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22213
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Pigman » August 20, 2018, 9:09 pm

Beejay wrote:
August 20, 2018, 8:54 pm

Also interesting to note Wayne Bennett has never had that nightmare scenario ever happen to him in 20+ years of coaching a glamour club. HAS NOT MISSED THE FINALS
Must just be lucky

No, his nightmare scenario was running the knights into the **** ground to the point where they couldnt even be competitive for 4 years. The job he did there was as disastrous as we've seen in recent times. So lets not pretend Bennett's resume is clean

He's one of the best to ever coach the game, he's had tremendous success the likes of which few will ever experience. But he's had his spectacular failures too... **** on Robinson who takes his team to the Prelim finals or better 80% of the time is, to me, insane
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Prepare the cannon!

User avatar
Beejay
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1992
Joined: April 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Beejay » August 20, 2018, 9:27 pm

Well he’s had a top4 roster his entire coaching career, so I’m not surprised he regularly gets to prelims. The fact he hasnt won a comp since his first year (with a team he didn’t build), and has failed since then, is how I judge him.
Spectacularly failing in 2016, when he’s given nothing but the best is a massive blight on his credibility.
Signing Cronk and Tedesco in one offseason is the wet dream of any coach in the league.
I guess we’ll see if he can stuff it up? He’s clearly got the best team in the league yet again.

User avatar
gangrenous
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8341
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by gangrenous » August 20, 2018, 9:28 pm

gangrenous wrote:
Sid wrote:Don’t current and former players usually hand the debutant their jersey ? Emre Guler should’ve had it presented by Murchie
You’re assuming EDIT.
Really? Edited? What for?!

User avatar
Beejay
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1992
Joined: April 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Beejay » August 20, 2018, 9:34 pm

Pigman wrote:
August 20, 2018, 9:09 pm
Beejay wrote:
August 20, 2018, 8:54 pm

Also interesting to note Wayne Bennett has never had that nightmare scenario ever happen to him in 20+ years of coaching a glamour club. HAS NOT MISSED THE FINALS
Must just be lucky

No, his nightmare scenario was running the knights into the **** ground to the point where they couldnt even be competitive for 4 years. The job he did there was as disastrous as we've seen in recent times. So lets not pretend Bennett's resume is clean

He's one of the best to ever coach the game, he's had tremendous success the likes of which few will ever experience. But he's had his spectacular failures too... **** on Robinson who takes his team to the Prelim finals or better 80% of the time is, to me, insane
I’d love to see Trent coach a bankrupt Newcastle while Tinkler implodes on the club, we’d get our answer on him that’s for sure.

Point still remains, Bennett has never missed the finals with Broncos/Dragons over 20 years. Trent came 2nd last with only 6 wins with THE ROOSTERS!

User avatar
Pigman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22213
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Pigman » August 20, 2018, 9:40 pm

Beejay wrote:
August 20, 2018, 9:34 pm
I’d love to see Trent coach a bankrupt Newcastle while Tinkler implodes on the club, we’d get our answer on him that’s for sure.
Beejay wrote:
August 20, 2018, 8:54 pm
EXCUSES
Either the man's record is spotless, or it's not.
Robinson's isn't spotless, but he's very likely going to end his 6th season with a 83% strike rate of finishing top 4. But yeah, the jury is out. LOL.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Prepare the cannon!

User avatar
Sid
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5623
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd
Location: Darwin, N.T.

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Sid » August 20, 2018, 9:42 pm

gangrenous wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
Sid wrote:Don’t current and former players usually hand the debutant their jersey ? Emre Guler should’ve had it presented by Murchie
You’re assuming EDIT.
Really? Edited? What for?!
Now I’ll never know what I’m assuming
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017

User avatar
Beejay
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1992
Joined: April 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Beejay » August 20, 2018, 9:57 pm

Pigman wrote:
August 20, 2018, 9:40 pm
Beejay wrote:
August 20, 2018, 9:34 pm
I’d love to see Trent coach a bankrupt Newcastle while Tinkler implodes on the club, we’d get our answer on him that’s for sure.
Beejay wrote:
August 20, 2018, 8:54 pm
EXCUSES
Either the man's record is spotless, or it's not.
Robinson's isn't spotless, but he's very likely going to end his 6th season with a 83% strike rate of finishing top 4. But yeah, the jury is out. LOL.
I’m not sure what you think those quotes prove?
I’m judging based on what is achieved with what has been given. Bennett has never missed finals with a glamour club.
Trent has had arguably the best team in the comp each year for 5 years. He’s won one comp, and come second last.
He’s been gifted the wet dream of any coach this year, and a Grandfinal appearance should be the minimum.

I find it very hard to give him much credit when he’s been given absolute top notch roster every single year. You need to walk away from this period with more than 1 premiership to be considered a success IMO
The Roosters should be in this year, and next years grandfinals based on their roster

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 119885
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by greeneyed » August 21, 2018, 2:50 pm

By the numbers: Raiders v Roosters: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... -roosters/

Gallery: Around the grounds Raiders v Roosters: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... -roosters/
Image

User avatar
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1170
Joined: January 25, 2007, 10:33 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Sydney

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by hrundi89 » August 21, 2018, 2:55 pm

Bay53 wrote:
August 20, 2018, 8:57 am
hrundi89 wrote:
August 19, 2018, 10:09 pm
Bay53 wrote:
August 19, 2018, 8:40 pm
I am always impressed with how Trent Robinson speaks. As an Essendon supporter my natural instinct is to dislike him because of who his brother is, but I just think he sounds thoroughly professional every time.
His brother's son plays on my son's footy team, that I manage. I had no idea about his history.

Seems like a decent bloke etc etc...
His brother is Dean Robinson. He had worked in the NRL and then worked at Geelong when they were very successful. He came across to Essendon with Mark Thompson. He called himself the “weapon”. I think his rugby league background was part of the problem in that I reckon he wanted the Essendon players to get too big. He then introduced Stephen Dank to the club who had an interesting sports science program and I think everyone knows what happened from there.

I have never met Dean Robinson so have no idea if he is a decent bloke but he was part of a process that caused immense harm to many lives - including his own. Trent Robinson had him on the bench for one Roosters game a year or two ago and he was widely condemned. Dean is basically unemployable in Australian sport I would have thought.
He got a $1 million payout.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 119885
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2018 Rd 23 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by greeneyed » August 21, 2018, 5:57 pm

Rd 23 In the sheds: Sia Soliola: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... a-soliola/

Round 23 Dance Performance: Pointe2Pointe: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... te2pointe/
Image

Post Reply