Post by greeneyed »

That’s what I’ve got.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: John Bateman signs with Canberra Raiders

Post by -PJ- »

Well that ain't a cardy.

And if you try to enter Lake Mac wearing that you'll be turned around and frog marched back to wherever you come from.

Cardyvillie I'm guessing.

So.. Is NSW absolutely giving it to those jerks from up north or what ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:Not many Poms have starred in the NRL taking into account the era they came here.

I can remember Kevin Ward who joined Manly. Ellery Hanley was all headlines and didn't shine, even though he was massive in England. Chariots turned up..did squat. Gary Schofield was adequate, Brian Carney..squat. Ellis had a dig at Tigers I spose. The Burgess boys have been hot and cold. Same as Widdop..average.

But we've been very lucky..Whitehead, Hodgo and now Bateman( I hope).

I'm looking forward to seeing him play, by all reports we scored another good-un.
Wow bit harsh there PJ. Particularly with a few. Ward from memory carried Manly to a premiership almost singlehandedly. Schofield was very solid and a better all round player than Hanley. Surgess is a massive reason Rabbitohs won. Offiah was a tad overrated because his defence was up there with Reece Robinson but he was a fantastic finisher. When he got the ball in any sort of open space it was a try. Gareth Ellis was sensational for the Tigers. One you don't mention is Lee Crooks. Arguably the best pommy forward to play out here, though I never saw Mal Reilly play. Widdop is a tough one to quantify. If he stays at Storm he would likely be regarded much higher than he has and achieved more success but good on him for taking the Saints challenge (and money).

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: November 17, 2018, 1:31 pm Well that ain't a cardy.

And if you try to enter Lake Mac wearing that you'll be turned around and frog marched back to wherever you come from.

Queensland are 6-146 and trail by 133 runs. Some big names playing for NSW.

Now Pierson is gone. https://live.cricket.com.au/match/2194/ ... /scorecard
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

gergreg wrote: November 17, 2018, 1:33 pm
-PJ- wrote:Not many Poms have starred in the NRL taking into account the era they came here.

I can remember Kevin Ward who joined Manly. Ellery Hanley was all headlines and didn't shine, even though he was massive in England. Chariots turned up..did squat. Gary Schofield was adequate, Brian Carney..squat. Ellis had a dig at Tigers I spose. The Burgess boys have been hot and cold. Same as Widdop..average.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play, by all reports we scored another good-un.
Wow bit harsh there PJ. Particularly with a few. Ward from memory carried Manly to a premiership almost singlehandedly. Schofield was very solid and a better all round player than Hanley. Surgess is a massive reason Rabbitohs won. Offiah was a tad overrated because his defence was up there with Reece Robinson but he was a fantastic finisher. When he got the ball in any sort of open space it was a try. Gareth Ellis was sensational for the Tigers. One you don't mention is Lee Crooks. Arguably the best pommy forward to play out here, though I never saw Mal Reilly play. Widdop is a tough one to quantify. If he stays at Storm he would likely be regarded much higher than he has and achieved more success but good on him for taking the Saints challenge (and money).

Oh..I wasn't bagging Kevin Ward, Gary Schofield etc. They were good while here. Please.dont get me wrong here. I thought Ellis was good, SamB is quality. I forgot about Lee Crooks, he went OK as well.

Offiah could run fast..big deal.
Hanley was over rated imo.

I can remember a Phil Clarke as well who played with the Rooters..he was an international ar the time and was a very good footballer. He suffered a neck injury I believe and had to retire..he was good.

I'm just sayin that of all those Poms..dating back 30+ years and taking into consideration the different eras they played we've scored pretty well with Whitey, Hodgo, and now Bateman we've scored pretty well.

Let's not mention Jordan Turner..

Was Matt Orford English ?

On a more serious topic..what do you think about Fergus's cardy ?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: November 17, 2018, 1:46 pm
-PJ- wrote: November 17, 2018, 1:31 pm Well that ain't a cardy.

Queensland are 6-146 and trail by 133 runs. Some big names playing for NSW.

Now Pierson is gone. https://live.cricket.com.au/match/2194/ ... /scorecard
WE OWN YOU !!!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:
gergreg wrote: November 17, 2018, 1:33 pm

Oh..I wasn't bagging Kevin Ward, Gary Schofield etc. They were good while here. Please.dont get me wrong here. I thought Ellis was good, SamB is quality. I forgot about Lee Crooks, he went OK as well.

Offiah could run fast..big deal.
Hanley was over rated imo.

I can remember a Phil Clarke as well who played with the Rooters..he was an international ar the time and was a very good footballer. He suffered a neck injury I believe and had to retire..he was good.

I'm just sayin that of all those Poms..dating back 30+ years and taking into consideration the different eras they played we've scored pretty well with Whitey, Hodgo, and now Bateman we've scored pretty well.

Let's not mention Jordan Turner..

Was Matt Orford English ?

On a more serious topic..what do you think about Fergus's cardy ?
It's okay I guess? I certainly wouldn't wear it though. For some reason I pictured GE being a little older than that.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

My dad is 69 and doesn't wear cardys.

Clearly, Fergus needs help.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'm liking this Bateman guy. And I hope Sutton is impressive as well. I like how he arrived here early. Good attitude.

Our Poms have done really well. Since arriving, Josh Hodgson is now the 2nd best 9 in the world. Elliott Whitehead is one of the most under rated players in the game, and is one of our most consistent players.

Pommy forwards usually go well in Oz. I'm hoping Sutto and Bateman lift us to a new level.

They're unknowns in the NRL which gives us an advantage already.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

dubby wrote: November 17, 2018, 3:27 pm I'm liking this Bateman guy. And I hope Sutton is impressive as well. I like how he arrived here early. Good attitude.

Our Poms have done really well. Since arriving, Josh Hodgson is now the 2nd best 9 in the world. Elliott Whitehead is one of the most under rated players in the game, and is one of our most consistent players.

Pommy forwards usually go well in Oz. I'm hoping Sutto and Bateman lift us to a new level.

Funny, he's not rated over here, at all.

I think most wouldn't have him in the top three English hookers.

I would, but he's still a long way behind James Roby.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m surprised people didn’t think Ellery Hanley was good when he played in the NRL equivalent comp.

He was amazing from my memory.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He was great. So much so, Terry Lamb ironed him out in the 1988 Grand Final.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Of the current crop, you wouldn't have Widdop, PJ??

I still remember the giant Dick Huddart playing for St.George in the 60's. Tommy Bishop and Cliff Watson for Cronulla. I think Malcolm Reilly for Manly was probably the best of them. Although that Sam Burgess Grand Final winning performance takes some beating.

Interesting about Mr. Posh's rating of Hodgo. The NRL is the richer for him being here imo. Hopefully he can stay healthy and produce a memorable finals series for the Raiders.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

RedRaider wrote: November 18, 2018, 10:18 am Of the current crop, you wouldn't have Widdop, PJ??

I still remember the giant Dick Huddart playing for St.George in the 60's. Tommy Bishop and Cliff Watson for Cronulla. I think Malcolm Reilly for Manly was probably the best of them. Although that Sam Burgess Grand Final winning performance takes some beating.

Interesting about Mr. Posh's rating of Hodgo. The NRL is the richer for him being here imo. Hopefully he can stay healthy and produce a memorable finals series for the Raiders.
Widdop is a hack..

Phew...I feel better !!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Over the last 15 years the list of pommy forwards who have been successful in the NRL is way longer than those who've been duds. I can't think of too many that failed to secure a regular top grade berth.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I'd agree with that NR.

I was very young(1)when Mal Reilly played in AUS. From what my dad says he was a no nonsense forward who never took a backward step..tough as nails.

The blokes I remember into the 80s were Crooks and Ward.
Denis Betts played for the Warriors. And I can't remember that longed git who played with Penrith in the 80s/90s ? I'm sure I've forgotten a few.
And now the Burgess boys, James Graham and of course Whitey..

There's a couple of poms who never came over but if you ask about their careers in ENG they were god damn superstars(not my opinion). I'm talking about Kevin Seinfeld and that other plodder..can't think of his name..captained ENG..won the golden boot as well I think..but never had the balls to test themselves here. Multiple premierships between them and probably a 1000FG games as well.

Danny McQuire is another one.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The modern era is far more professional than back in 70s 80s 90s. Since 2000 onwards we had guys like Morley and Ellis set the standard for pommy forwards to succeed in the NRL. Since then if they were quality forwards in the ESL then they are generally quality forwards here. From what I understand of Bateman he is rated very highly. Even better that Whitehead before he came to us. I would be very very surprised if he didn't cut it here.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Andy Farrell was that over rated muppet I was thinking of.

Geez that plodder got some wraps..
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

MrPosh wrote:
dubby wrote: November 17, 2018, 3:27 pm I'm liking this Bateman guy. And I hope Sutton is impressive as well. I like how he arrived here early. Good attitude.

Funny, he's not rated over here, at all.

I think most wouldn't have him in the top three English hookers.

I would, but he's still a long way behind James Roby.
All due respect Mr Pom, but Robys best years are behind him. He was England's best 9. That mantle belongs to Hodgo.

Anyone saying otherwise hasn't watched him in action for the raiders. Hodgson is our best player, and most important.

I'm not alone in thinking that either.

Josh Hodgson is the best 9 in the NRL behind Cam Smith.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:He was great. So much so, Terry Lamb ironed him out in the 1988 Grand Final.
And Mal Meninga ironed Lamb out in the 94 GF!

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Vince Karalius was a Pommy forward who was totally dominant. A tough man in an age of on field thuggery.

He's to there with Reilly.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Let's never forget the 94 GF..

It's all we have.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

greeneyed wrote:Good, you! I’m wishing I brought a cardy to the cricket though!
I thought you didn’t like Cricket? You went to a Shield game I’m impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Brew wrote: November 18, 2018, 2:26 pm
greeneyed wrote:Good, you! I’m wishing I brought a cardy to the cricket though!
I thought you didn’t like Cricket? You went to a Shield game I’m impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
You hardly ever see Fergus in the cricket thread but he goes to watch a game..LIVE !
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Ive got a lot of respect for Roby, he was a guy i spent years wishing the Raiders could get as we suffered through the Buttriss, Waddell, Tongue years
But i weep for english fans if that's their view.

Hodgson is not only their best hooker, he's arguably the country's best player.
JezTez1984
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Tapine

Post by JezTez1984 »

Pigman wrote: November 18, 2018, 6:59 pm Ive got a lot of respect for Roby, he was a guy i spent years wishing the Raiders could get as we suffered through the Buttriss, Waddell, Tongue years

I dont think it's even arguable is it?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

JezTez1984 wrote: November 18, 2018, 8:41 pm
Pigman wrote: November 18, 2018, 6:59 pm Ive got a lot of respect for Roby, he was a guy i spent years wishing the Raiders could get as we suffered through the Buttriss, Waddell, Tongue years

I dont think it's even arguable is it?
It is completely arguable. Most English fans wouldn't see and perhaps wouldn't care what Hodgo does in green.

I just saw SJ written off as "a million dollar player whose team doesn't regularly make the finals" or similar. Well Hodgo's team almost never makes the finals. From most English fans it's probably woopdy doo, he's a big wheel at one of the worst performing NRL teams of the decade. Part of a spine that can barely manage a game.

He plays OK for England but hasn't set the world on fire for them. Just been good and solid. That's what they'd see.

I think Hodgo is great, you do too. But I can see why if I was a Wigan fan who maybe watches one NRL game a week and usually just the top clubs, with no reason to tune in to watch muppets in green implode every week that I mightn't be too fussed over Hodgo.

He wasn't near the running for Man of Series or Golden Boot at all (and apparently missing games in that doesn't matter so he played enough to be a contender if good enough).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Correct me if I’m wrong... in England they only see the Channel Nine games?

I could make a smart remark about how England values wingers scoring a few tries rather than the actual hard work... and that’s why they lag... and that’s why they elect a winger for a Golden Boot...

But hey I like Mr Posh very much...

But I’m going to put it out there anyway! Mr Posh... what on earth was the English media thinking when voting Makinson Golden Boot winner!?
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

greeneyed wrote: November 18, 2018, 11:18 pm Correct me if I’m wrong... in England they only see the Channel Nine games?

I could make a smart remark about how England values wingers scoring a few tries rather than the actual hard work... and that’s why they lag... and that’s why they elect a winger for a Golden Boot...

But hey I like Mr Posh very much...

But I’m going to put it out there anyway! Mr Posh... what on earth was the English media thinking when voting Makinson Golden Boot winner!?
We used to only get Channel 9 games a few years back. The NRL then went to a minor channel, where we got every game. We're back on Sky (main sports channel, now) and get three Fox games a week. I reckon I've seen half the games Hodgson has played and he has been magnificent for Canberra.

However, his style undeniably stifles halves - which is fine when you build your team around that - but not so good when you don't; and England don't.

He's hardly ever had a good game for England and wasn't in the top half a dozen of hookers when he left. With an average NRL game getting around 10k viewers over here (and most of those are probably ex-pat Aussies), there's not much of a stage for him to impress English fans.

I love Roby. He's one of the all time greats - I think every single NRL team has tried to sign him. I also think Paul McShane is ahead of Hodgson - he's got a great all round game, although not Hodgson's experience.

As for Makinson, I don't know. He's a very good player and was right up there considering the criteria - but the criteria was daft. That being said, three of the five judges were from your half of the world.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Video: Jordan Rapana on new signings: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/11 ... -signings/