John Bateman signs with Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

nemesis
Brett Mullins

Re: John Bateman signs with Canberra Raiders

Post by nemesis »

Tought crowd, maybe this page should change it's name to the whingehouse.

Why do people think this is a crazy contract? most players sign for 2-3 years, there is never a guarantee the player will stay after his contract or even for the contract period, contracts are nothing in the nrl atm.

We get an international in his prime and we change to a more mobile pack which i believe is the key and will be especially if they cut the interchange down again, paulo and boyd have been passengers this year.

had to laugh at the developing players for wigan comments, more like the other way around, he's a 24year old international, he's already developed people.

No matter what the club does so many raiders supporters whinge.

sign no one whinge we need to sign players, sign players and say we don't need them etc etc etc.

Just relax and see how it pans out, i think we are getting rid of our 3 biggest plodders this year so i am happy, if we pick up a ryley jacks or croft we will be set.
raider 4 life
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Because depending on the wording of the contract he may have already agreed to return to Wigan for 2021?

I don't want a player who is already looking at their next club. I want one who is wanting to win a premiership for us.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Can't believe they put that clause in the contract. Surely it's breakable if he loves it here in 2-3 years time and he wants to cash in here...?!?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Very strange contract, never seen anything like that in any sport let alone RL.

Anyhow like everyone else he gets a clean slate from me, and I look forward to seeing how he goes.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Contracts are pretty loose these days. If he wants to stay and we want to keep him he'll stay. If he wants to leave in 6 months due to homesickness or inability to make first grade, I am sure we will accommodate him.

At the end of the day we now have 4 international back rowers. Papa is going to get a kangaroo jumper in Mal's prop rotation, so he's obviously going to be staying in the middle. Which one of Tapine, Whitehead or Bateman plays in the middle will probably depend on the game plan and if any of them are actually keen to move to the middle.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders unveil prized English star John Bateman

The English takeover is in full swing with the Canberra Raiders unveiling the prized signature of John Bateman but it has come with a catch. Bateman has signed a three-year deal with the Raiders that will keep the English international in Canberra until the end of the 2021 season.

"No matter where you put him on the field, you know he is going to do a job for you. He is similar to Elliott in a lot of ways, in terms of his work rate and his team first attitude. He will do whatever he needs to to get the win and he is a great talent that is a great acquisition for us," Josh Hodgson said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zweh.html

Raiders boost English stocks with Bateman: https://au.sports.yahoo.com/raiders-lan ... --spt.html
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

U can see why he plays a bit of centre. Good fend with good footwork
dribble73
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Austin

Post by dribble73 »

edwahu wrote:There are mixed messages on the transfer fee counting on the cap. It was waived for Burgess but then there were articles suggesting it was counted for Segeyaro.
It’s separate to the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
dribble73
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Austin

Post by dribble73 »

Captain Punish wrote:So we threw a **** tonne of cash at Wigan to develop their player for them?

Good work Ricky, Peter, Don and Co. Outstanding recruitment effort.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Or he has been signed to develop the likes of Horsburgh and not block their path in a couple of years.

Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

dribble73 wrote:
Captain Punish wrote:So we threw a **** tonne of cash at Wigan to develop their player for them?

Good work Ricky, Peter, Don and Co. Outstanding recruitment effort.

Or he has been signed to develop the likes of Horsburgh and not block their path in a couple of years.

You give them too much credit.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Captain Punish... you really can be... punishing. :|
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Lock

roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

nemesis wrote:Tought crowd, maybe this page should change it's name to the whingehouse.

Why do people think this is a crazy contract? most players sign for 2-3 years, there is never a guarantee the player will stay after his contract or even for the contract period, contracts are nothing in the nrl atm.

We get an international in his prime and we change to a more mobile pack which i believe is the key and will be especially if they cut the interchange down again, paulo and boyd have been passengers this year.

had to laugh at the developing players for wigan comments, more like the other way around, he's a 24year old international, he's already developed people.

sign no one whinge we need to sign players, sign players and say we don't need them etc etc etc.

Just relax and see how it pans out, i think we are getting rid of our 3 biggest plodders this year so i am happy, if we pick up a ryley jacks or croft we will be set.
Nailed it. Can’t please a bunch of whiners sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Deadset great signing.... some people are very hard to please

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Or we just pay another contract break free in 3 years...

Deal with that when it comes
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Let's face it, it is an unusual contract. Very unusual. But I'm assuming the Raiders are of the view that in three years... anything can happen.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

John Bateman signs with Canberra Raiders

Post by Brew »

roneel78 wrote:
nemesis wrote:Tought crowd, maybe this page should change it's name to the whingehouse.

I honestly believe if we ever won another premiership people on here would still find something to whinge about.

In Ricky We Trust
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Brew wrote:
roneel78 wrote:

I honestly believe if we ever won another premiership people on here would still find something to whinge about.

The refs probably
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brew wrote: August 9, 2018, 10:11 pm
roneel78 wrote:

Sorry Brew, but that isn't borne out by the facts. When the team is going well, the site is full of complimentary and positive comments.

The only issue is this. The team has made the finals in three seasons in the past decade.

If the club starts to perform up to the standards of a top four, even a top eight, rugby league team, then the comments on the site will reflect that.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

edwahu wrote: August 9, 2018, 11:11 am
Grün Maschine wrote: August 9, 2018, 11:09 am If the whole english team became an NRL team where would they be sitting on the ladder
1st. Burgesses have got Souths there pretty much alone this year.
I reckon their Hooker and 5/8 have been revelations this year. Cook at all levels.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Matt wrote: August 9, 2018, 2:35 pm
Higgson wrote: August 9, 2018, 2:23 pm In 2016 it was our middle forwards that really fired in a way they haven’t come close to since.
Signing another 2nd rower when we’ve already got Murchie and Emre Guler seems to me two things.

Firstly we’re going from one of the biggest packs in the comp to one of the smallest.
When big packs are still a good thing.
And secondly we’re bound to lose more quality juniors..

Also I think Papali has been the 2nd best 13 in the comp. IMO only McGuire has outplayed him. Moving him to 10 is a risk.

1stly, :welcome:

2ndly, no way McGuire has outplayed him. He inst even the best lock at his club. They are being forced to play prop and/ or BR - Ofa and TPJ.
Lolo hasn't had a good year, but he is still the NRL's benchmark.
Sam Burgess hasn't been at his best this yr either, but cant skip over him.
Arrow has been one of the standouts at lock this season, only the PCL injury post Origin has slowed him down.
Papa is certainly in the mix, but its a logger jam at the top. It also helps that he 'outpointed' McGuire, Arrow and Lolo when we played Bronx, Titoons and Cows.

3rd, Guler is a lock/ prop, so Bateman doesn't really affect his progression into FG. It does make Murchie's transition more difficult though.
Oh look..the Welcome Matt...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:
Higgson wrote: August 9, 2018, 2:23 pm In 2016 it was our middle forwards that really fired in a way they haven’t come close to since.
Signing another 2nd rower when we’ve already got Murchie and Emre Guler seems to me two things.

Firstly we’re going from one of the biggest packs in the comp to one of the smallest.

Also I think Papali has been the 2nd best 13 in the comp. IMO only McGuire has outplayed him. Moving him to 10 is a risk.

2ndly, no way McGuire has outplayed him. He inst even the best lock at his club. They are being forced to play prop and/ or BR - Ofa and TPJ.
Arrow has been one of the standouts at lock this season, only the PCL injury post Origin has slowed him down.
Papa is certainly in the mix, but its a logger jam at the top. It also helps that he 'outpointed' McGuire, Arrow and Lolo when we played Bronx, Titoons and Cows.

3rd, Guler is a lock/ prop, so Bateman doesn't really affect his progression into FG. It does make Murchie's transition more difficult though.
Boom tish!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: August 9, 2018, 10:10 pm Let's face it, it is an unusual contract. Very unusual. But I'm assuming the Raiders are of the view that in three years... anything can happen.
That's correct.

Winning back to back to back premierships would surely change his mind.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: August 10, 2018, 6:57 am

:clap:
Well played sir
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

I mean sure, anything can happen in 3 years but doesnt anyone think that if the club really is taking this attitude it shows a real lack of proper foresight/planning for the future?

It's no wonder we end up in salary cap trouble with an underperforming roster with that sort of short term thinking.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I love that our official highlights video has him in a stink with Tapine. :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: August 10, 2018, 1:17 pm I love that our official highlights video has him in a stink with Tapine. :lol:
And it wasnt even his fault. It was Luke stepping on his hand
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Classic Luke :)
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

hobbsy wrote: August 10, 2018, 9:19 am I mean sure, anything can happen in 3 years but doesnt anyone think that if the club really is taking this attitude it shows a real lack of proper foresight/planning for the future?

It's no wonder we end up in salary cap trouble with an underperforming roster with that sort of short term thinking.
Quite the opposite in fact. If all players were set to leave after 3 years we would have less salary cap problems.

I think what people here don’t understand is Wigan is a big club in the rugby league world and it really hurts them to lose players to the other side of the world.

If he comes here has three great years, hopefully we can keep him. If he goes home to a massive contract we demonstrate to the English game that this is a great place to come.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If he plays well for 3 seasons, its still more of a contribution than 95% of our players make. So I don't think it's a huge risk.

My only worry is on his motivation levels by the third year, but he doesn't look like the kind of player where that's an issue.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

edwahu wrote: August 10, 2018, 2:04 pm If he plays well for 3 seasons, its still more of a contribution than 95% of our players make. So I don't think it's a huge risk.

My only worry is on his motivation levels by the third year, but he doesn't look like the kind of player where that's an issue.
I'd like to think this has become a key requirement for potential recruits after Austin, Paulo and Boyd's dramatic drop off in genuine effort and commitment over the last two seasons.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

LastRaider wrote: August 9, 2018, 11:05 am
edwahu wrote:I actually reckon he will be a big success and massively popular with the fans since he rips in and gives it his all, and good things seem to happen around him as a result. We do need players like that.

I'm not sure he really moves the needle for us as far as wins though.
Nope as we still have no halves to move players and give direction on the field. Money being spent in the wrong places as usual

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
You do realise we are the top scoring team in the NRL yeah? :lol:

Scoring points is not the issue for us, neither is "game management" with Hodgo back IMO.

Our big issue is terrible decision making in defence on the fringes, and a complete lack of effort from some players in the middle. Certain players lack composure and discipline in all aspects of the game, which doesn't help.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Look, as an Englishman, I'm not blind to the relative strengths of the NRL and ESL (the gap between the top clubs is actually quite small - the gap between the middle and lower clubs is huge), but irrespective of that, Wigan is one of the true giants of the game - and the fans' expectations are massive.

Their fans are extremely disgruntled at the moment and managing the loss of the clubs best player is a big deal - hence this agreement (read up on Iysten Harris if you want the legal precedent and why Wigan has done this).

For what it's worth, I'd expect him to return because of his young daughter, as opposed to a contract, but I wouldn't pay much attention to the deal.

What Canberra has got is just what's needed - mobile and ferocious defence through the middle, decent go forward with a nice offload and, despite his size, a bit of an enforcer. He is as hard as nails.

I've watched him, Whitehead and all the Burgess boys come through at Bradford and he and Sam are the best two we've had - certainly in the last 20 years.

Oh, and don't touch Williams. He's decent enough, but not great and not what Canberra needs.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-PJ- wrote:
greeneyed wrote: August 9, 2018, 10:10 pm Let's face it, it is an unusual contract. Very unusual. But I'm assuming the Raiders are of the view that in three years... anything can happen.
That's correct.

Winning back to back to back premierships would surely change his mind.
Or it could send him back to Wigan with the feeling he’s achieved everything in the NRL.

It’s unusual, but I don’t mind it actually. He’s looking after himself, and set himself up for with a gig once his time is up down here.

It also shows the club has some sort of 3 year goal, otherwise, what’s the point?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021