Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: John Bateman signs with Canberra Raiders

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: August 9, 2018, 9:03 am
Matt wrote: August 9, 2018, 9:01 am
-PJ- wrote: August 9, 2018, 8:54 am
Matt wrote: August 9, 2018, 8:49 am
-PJ- wrote: August 9, 2018, 8:35 am I'm a little surprised he chose Canberra.

He obviously wanted to try himself in the NRL and I'm sure his manager put feelers out to get some interest. Maybe the Raiders were the only club keen but I highly doubt it.

Bateman would have been aware of our clubs current position and is still keen. I hope he turns out to be half the player Whitehead is..that'll be great.

But be prepared Johnny..you've got a tough preseason and about 15mins of trial footy to get through.
I think Sia, Hodgo and Whitey might have something to do with it too.
And Burgess, Graham and Widdop didn't bother..

Hey I'm happy to give him a go and I hope it works out for him and us..we need something.
Im not saying the Burgi didnt give their 4 and 20 bobs worth, esp as they are from similar places and all played for the Bradford Bulls.
Ill bet Graham and Widdop pitched their case too.
Bateman must of heard about this superior coach from the A.C.T and wanted in....
or the bike paths :lol:
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Just when I thought the Raiders couldn't possibly be any dumber, they go and do something like this and totally...

Haha, what am I saying, you are even more dumber than first thought..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I understand he has actually already signed the Wigan deal. So it won't be easy to get out of.

It's a strange deal, we really must rate him.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

It says 2yrs with an extra year in HIS favour.

Maybe there's two contracts signed back in Wigan and they're waiting to see which one to burn...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

This is a **** weird contract.

Firstly, let me say I'm over the moon that we've announced we have a rep player coming our way next season. Hip hip hoooooray.

But, the fact that he's already agreed to return to Wigan post-Canberra and that he's comforted to know that's where his future is... I really don't know how I feel about that.

I just hope we're not subsidising his gap year(s).
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

John Bateman signs with the Canberra Raiders

The Canberra Raiders have confirmed the signing of England International player John Bateman for three seasons, commencing at the beginning of 2019.

"John is a wonderful talent who has the ability and skill set to play a number of positions," recruitment manager Peter Mulholland said. "We've already seen the success of both Elliott Whitehead and Josh Hodgson transitioning from the Super League to the NRL and we see John as being a player who can make a similar impact in this competition."

"At 24, he's got the perfect mix of experience and youth and we're really looking forward to seeing him in green in 2019."

The Raiders have been in negotiations with Bateman for several months, but have held back on announcing his deal so his current club Wigan had the opportunity to let their supporters know of his departure.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... a-raiders/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Adds depth all round. Can cover centre and backup hooker if we get an injury. Improves the squad overall.
I think he'll pack down in the 2nd row. Not the greatest centre but it's a better backup option than moving Sia or Whitehead. Sia hopefully spends the entire year in the middle. No need to move him with Bateman, Whitehead, Tapine and Murchie at the club.

Also the perfect player to free up hodgo on the 5th if Wighton does go to 5/8 and we need another kicking option.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The Raiders have been in negotiations with Bateman for several months, but have held back on announcing his deal so his current club Wigan had the opportunity to let their supporters know of his departure
This makes no sense to me. Why would it take Wigan months to tell people if a deal was done.

Just be honest and admit it took months to sort a transfer fee and for Wigan to agree to release him.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

edwahu wrote: August 9, 2018, 10:40 am
The Raiders have been in negotiations with Bateman for several months, but have held back on announcing his deal so his current club Wigan had the opportunity to let their supporters know of his departure
This makes no sense to me. Why would it take Wigan months to tell people if a deal was done.

Just be honest and admit it took months to sort a transfer fee and for Wigan to agree to release him.
Raiders being honest. HA!!
LastRaider
John Ferguson

John Bateman signs with Canberra Raiders

Post by LastRaider »

The state of the Raiders at the moment. No one wants to play for us locally so we now need to start paying overs and transfer fee’s the ESL to get new players in.

I can now only hope that Ricky will get the sack now to clean the entire club up and attract good talent and get back to developing our juniors again. I hate what this club has become! A cheque book club who now buys players from oversea’s.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

LastRaider wrote: August 9, 2018, 11:01 am The state of the Raiders at the moment. No one wants to play for us locally so we now need to start paying overs and transfer fee’s the ESL to get new players in.

We're only now paying overs?

Craig Frawley and Brad Drew are still counting the money we paid them to come to Canberra.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I actually reckon he will be a big success and massively popular with the fans since he rips in and gives it his all, and good things seem to happen around him as a result. We do need players like that.

I'm not sure he really moves the needle for us as far as wins though.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

edwahu wrote:I actually reckon he will be a big success and massively popular with the fans since he rips in and gives it his all, and good things seem to happen around him as a result. We do need players like that.

I'm not sure he really moves the needle for us as far as wins though.
Nope as we still have no halves to move players and give direction on the field. Money being spent in the wrong places as usual

Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Good to see it's done finally, that's a massive move from Wigan to give him a three year deal two to three years from now... I guess that's a good sign that they show so much confidence that he will be worth it long term.
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

If the whole english team became an NRL team where would they be sitting on the ladder
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Grün Maschine wrote: August 9, 2018, 11:09 am If the whole english team became an NRL team where would they be sitting on the ladder
1st. Burgesses have got Souths there pretty much alone this year.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

I mean, from a rep standpoint he's further developed than both Whitehead and Hodgson when they came to Canberra. That has to be a positive.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Nailed it.

Wigan didn't want him to go, but he was adamant he wanted to play NRL.

Raiders and Wigan knuckled out a transfer fee, and to make Wigan feel loved and a little better, he inserted a clause saying that upon any return to the ESL he will only play for Wigan.

Player and clubs are satisfied.

This is like us losing Papalii. We'd want a transfer and a guarantee he'd return to play for us.
T_R wrote:I woudn't worry too much about the ESL contract. I would be very surprised if the first line isn't something along the lines of 'In preference to any other ESL club, I agree to return to...'.
Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

The guy is a current English international. The transfer fee does not count towards the cap. Surely better value than Boyd or Paulo.
We have never really been able to sign Aussie marquee players to any great extent. These signings (Whitehead, Sutton, Hodgo, Bateman) I liken to our recruitment of QLDers in the 80s.
Bit of a risk but much better upside potential. Great singing. Stop ya whining.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

There are mixed messages on the transfer fee counting on the cap. It was waived for Burgess but then there were articles suggesting it was counted for Segeyaro.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Dusty wrote: August 9, 2018, 6:29 am I’ve mentioned it before in other threads but I’ll share again.

My mate in the UK thinks this is a great signing. He believes his best position is lock and he described him as a ‘pit bull’ type in that position. That’s where I think Ricky will play him....

8. Sutton/Lui/Knight/Soliola
9. Hodgson
10. Papalii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J. Bateman

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That's the way it makes most sense to me. The big key being Papa to front row. We're a bit small up front unless Papa or Tapine play middle imo.

Everyone losing their minds because he's said it's only 3 years is off the mark i think. Sounds like the kind of good intentions said to make everyone at Wigan feel better bout losing their prospect. If he's any good he'll be in Oz longer.

Hodgo and Whitehead were well worth their spot from day 1- even if they had some adjusting to do they were good. Hopefully this kid does the same. We can get good value in 3 years imo.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Yep I'm real excited...

Top 4 next year for sure....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: August 9, 2018, 10:40 am

My understanding is the statement is correct. Wigan were being very difficult about the announcement and wanted to delay it until as late as possible in their season. Usually official announcements are coordinated so both clubs announce at the same time... not in this case I see with Wigan announcing first, by a long way.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

We need a solid half to join next year and we have something to be excited about.
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

Newcastle are apparently chasing George Williams...we should offer him a deal, another Pom :)
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Velda wrote: August 9, 2018, 2:06 pm Newcastle are apparently chasing George Williams...we should offer him a deal, another Pom :)
Unlike Bateman he is on a marquee player deal and his contract runs to 2021 so the transfer fee would be massive, probably close to a million. Unless he has an NRL clause in there.
Higgson
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Higgson »

In 2016 it was our middle forwards that really fired in a way they haven’t come close to since.
Signing another 2nd rower when we’ve already got Murchie and Emre Guler seems to me two things.

Firstly we’re going from one of the biggest packs in the comp to one of the smallest.
When big packs are still a good thing.
And secondly we’re bound to lose more quality juniors..

Also I think Papali has been the 2nd best 13 in the comp. IMO only McGuire has outplayed him. Moving him to 10 is a risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

Velda wrote: August 9, 2018, 2:06 pm Newcastle are apparently chasing George Williams...we should offer him a deal, another Pom :)
I saw that, we're already getting two of his teammates which might make it a bit easier.

Sidenote, if the Knights do get him, Connor Watson might be looking for a new home. He'd be a solid upgrade on what we already have.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

woppadingo wrote: August 9, 2018, 11:50 am The guy is a current English international. The transfer fee does not count towards the cap. Surely better value than Boyd or Paulo.
We have never really been able to sign Aussie marquee players to any great extent. These signings (Whitehead, Sutton, Hodgo, Bateman) I liken to our recruitment of QLDers in the 80s.
Bit of a risk but much better upside potential. Great singing. Stop ya whining.
:thumbsup
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: August 9, 2018, 11:11 am
Grün Maschine wrote: August 9, 2018, 11:09 am If the whole english team became an NRL team where would they be sitting on the ladder
1st. Burgesses have got Souths there pretty much alone this year.
Widdop is one of the top point scorers, Hodgo has been a top 3 hooker since returning to action. They would destroy all comers
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Higgson wrote: August 9, 2018, 2:23 pm In 2016 it was our middle forwards that really fired in a way they haven’t come close to since.
Signing another 2nd rower when we’ve already got Murchie and Emre Guler seems to me two things.

Firstly we’re going from one of the biggest packs in the comp to one of the smallest.
When big packs are still a good thing.
And secondly we’re bound to lose more quality juniors..

Also I think Papali has been the 2nd best 13 in the comp. IMO only McGuire has outplayed him. Moving him to 10 is a risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1stly, :welcome:

2ndly, no way McGuire has outplayed him. He inst even the best lock at his club. They are being forced to play prop and/ or BR - Ofa and TPJ.
Lolo hasn't had a good year, but he is still the NRL's benchmark.
Sam Burgess hasn't been at his best this yr either, but cant skip over him.
Arrow has been one of the standouts at lock this season, only the PCL injury post Origin has slowed him down.
Papa is certainly in the mix, but its a logger jam at the top. It also helps that he 'outpointed' McGuire, Arrow and Lolo when we played Bronx, Titoons and Cows.

3rd, Guler is a lock/ prop, so Bateman doesn't really affect his progression into FG. It does make Murchie's transition more difficult though.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Timbo wrote: August 9, 2018, 2:23 pm
I saw that, we're already getting two of his teammates which might make it a bit easier.

Sidenote, if the Knights do get him, Connor Watson might be looking for a new home. He'd be a solid upgrade on what we already have.
:thumbsup
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

I hope we dont move tapine into the middle. There is a fair chance he will win our player of the year award. I think he is now leading ? And that is with missing a few games with injuries and suspension. He is starting to really find his feet as a backrower
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

Are we SERIOUSLY this desperate? These are dire, depressing times IMO.

I've never seen a contract like this.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

This is a bit old, but something to watch for people who haven't seen much of Bateman: