The Raiders front

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

robtheraider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

The Raiders front

Post by robtheraider »

It really is time for everyone to take a step back and acknowledge the fact that the Raiders are not a football team, they are a convenient front for a Real estate and Pokies consortium.

If success happens to fall in our lap as it did in 2016, well and good, but no-one on the Raiders board is an any way held accountable for the performances of the team....their KPI's would be centred on profit and loss and balance sheets, rather than points for and against.

Why then, would anybody think that the NRL would take us seriously as an NRL entity, when it's clear that our own board clearly don't take the Raider football team seriously ?

The rampant inbreeding and nepotism will not change, and the performance of the football team will continue to be a weekly nuisance and unwanted distraction to the business.

Can anyone confirm if the board members are regular attendees at home games, my thoughts are that they are not... if they did attend i suspect they would be "bored members"

I would wager that if the Raiders board was issued with a pop quiz about the makeup of the 30 man raiders squad , none of them would be able to name the 30 members.

Given all of the above, why would the ACT governing body invest in this environment....might be a good indication as to why their money is going into the AFL ??
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.
edwahu

Re: The Raiders Front

Post by edwahu »

I don't think they are a front, the old firm really do love the club. I'd say it's more of a hobby and run like one as well.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: The Raiders front

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders board members regularly attend matches.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

I would say the people who are at the club genuinely love the club and working for it.

In saying that I also think they like the status that comes with that and are not going to fall on their sword anytime soon. They don't see that they don't have what it takes to make us a dynasty once again. I don't know if they fluked it in the 80's or if it was a well orchestrated plan. But u can't see us getting anywhere near that anytime soon.

It's really sad where this club is at and that so many supporters think you aren't a loyal fan of the club if you criticize or demand more from them.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

I dont know if any said it before I did. But when I said it I meant it in the way that McDonalds is not a fast food business, but actually a real estate business. McDonalds buy land around the world where future franchises will be located. Its the secret to their success.
In the same way, the Raiders have a sporting agenda and a business agenda. The business is necessary to support the football club.

But when you're in a board meeting discussing performance and the report is something like.. "well the team lost again last weekend but the club brought another $83m through real estate, gambling, liquor sales etc etc" then the focus aint really that much on the footy.

No way any of the board are giving up their seats when the fat prophets are about to roll in. Maybe the best we can hope for is the apartments and the Centre of Excellence get done quickly and some of them bow out gracefully to their O'Malley mansions with their golden parachute.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I think you might be having a bit of a guess about the motivations of the board there, mate. I’d argue changing their hard stance on off-field behaviour to retain Wighton when he may well have done something worse than a lot of the stuff previous guys have been sacked for indicates the board’s priority is footy not pokies.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Noting some fans might have a different opinion on whether retaining Wighton is a positive or negative move football-wise.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The Football and Leagues club boards are seperate things and the League's club is the one making the piles of cash.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

edwahu wrote: July 29, 2018, 10:40 pm The Football and Leagues club boards are seperate things and the League's club is the one making the piles of cash.
That Board members don't pocket - like all clubs profits return to the community. Raiders Chairman Allan Hawke has been Secretary at a number of Commonwealth Departments and wouldn't be short of cash. Appreciate the frustration but think the OP is off the mark on this one.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Billy Walker wrote: July 29, 2018, 10:57 pm
edwahu wrote: July 29, 2018, 10:40 pm The Football and Leagues club boards are seperate things and the League's club is the one making the piles of cash.
That Board members don't pocket - like all clubs profits return to the community. Raiders Chairman Allan Hawke has been Secretary at a number of Commonwealth Departments and wouldn't be short of cash. Appreciate the frustration but think the OP is off the mark on this one.
Possibly. But I still reckon the business performance would take the edge off the sporting non-performance in the eyes of the some board members.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Interesting I just got an email for the new residential development at braddon oval
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-TW- wrote: August 1, 2018, 12:10 pm Interesting I just got an email for the new residential development at braddon oval
Hopefully there are a few apartments set aside for recruitment purposes, ala the Sharks.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Yeah for me they just seem to follow outdated business practices.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

nah
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine