zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: 2018 Rd 21 V Panthers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by zim »

InFernos_Raiders wrote: July 31, 2018, 11:22 pm
edwahu wrote: July 31, 2018, 6:40 pm
InFernos_Raiders wrote: July 31, 2018, 6:37 pm So Stuart won’t blood any Mounties like a new centre so he puts Austin in the centres.
He needs to bleed some youth in some Mounties in stuff Boyd, Austin and Paulo our season is gone, Austin didn’t care against Storm. Sheeesh Stuart honestly

Raiders: 1 Nick Cotric, 2 Brad Abbey, 3 Blake Austin, 4 Joseph Leilua, 5 Jordan Rapana, 6 Aidan Sezer, 7 Sam Williams, 8 Iosia Soliola, 9 Josh Hodgson (c), 10 Junior Paulo, 11 Joseph Tapine, 12 Elliott Whitehead, 13 Josh Papalii

Interchange: 14 Dunamis Lui, 15 Shannon Boyd, 16 Siliva Havili, 17 Luke Bateman

Reserves: 18 Liam Knight, 19 Jack Murchie, 20 Makahesi Makatoa, 21 Emre Guler
He has no choice in the backs, there is no outside backs eligible playing for Mounties. The only option would've been to shuffle them around.
So why the hell are we in this position ? We don't have a huge number of injuries so why is that ? Others clubs are able so it must come down to team management. I know Manly are screwed this year because of their many injuries but Raiders are noway in that position. Stuart had chances to bleed some backs in but he stacked our team with forwards.
Croker (injured) / Oldfield (injured) / Wighton (suspended) / Ravalawa (moving on). No team is losing 4 from the backs without having issues. Other clubs don't have that many out.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

In hindsight I think they could've gone with one more outside back in the squad, considering there are at 3 middle players plus Garvey that they seem to have had no interest in selecting.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

zim wrote:
InFernos_Raiders wrote: July 31, 2018, 6:37 pm So Stuart won’t blood any Mounties like a new centre so he puts Austin in the centres.
He needs to bleed some youth in some Mounties in stuff Boyd, Austin and Paulo our season is gone, Austin didn’t care against Storm. Sheeesh Stuart honestly

Raiders: 1 Nick Cotric, 2 Brad Abbey, 3 Blake Austin, 4 Joseph Leilua, 5 Jordan Rapana, 6 Aidan Sezer, 7 Sam Williams, 8 Iosia Soliola, 9 Josh Hodgson (c), 10 Junior Paulo, 11 Joseph Tapine, 12 Elliott Whitehead, 13 Josh Papalii

He has no choice in the backs, there is no outside backs eligible playing for Mounties. The only option would've been to shuffle them around.
So why the hell are we in this position ? We don't have a huge number of injuries so why is that ? Others clubs are able so it must come down to team management. I know Manly are screwed this year because of their many injuries but Raiders are noway in that position. Stuart had chances to bleed some backs in but he stacked our team with forwards.
Croker (injured) / Oldfield (injured) / Wighton (suspended) / Ravalawa (moving on). No team is losing 4 from the backs without having issues. Other clubs don't have that many out.
Panthers have had injuries to Blake, Mansour, Edwards,DWZ and Peachey in Origin and each new bloke who came into the squad haven’t missed a beat.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Just to play Devils advocate here - do you think there is any consideration to protecting Murchie and Knight a bit? They were part of a team that got pumped last week. We have a tough end to the season and it might not be ideal if the taste for it they get in 2018 involves a series of thumpings that leave scars going into 2019.

Probably giving Ricky too much credit?
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Knight out and both Paulo and Boyd in is the craziest decision of an absolute **** fight of a season.

The only way it is remotely justifiable is if Knight has accepted the rumoured Eels contract and if he has I wouldn’t blame him.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

RTW wrote: August 1, 2018, 10:32 am
zim wrote:

Panthers have had injuries to Blake, Mansour, Edwards,DWZ and Peachey in Origin and each new bloke who came into the squad haven’t missed a beat.
They've missed plenty of beats in those positions but because of quality elsewhere in their side they've been pulling out wins. You don't get down by 18 points or lose to manly because you're not missing beats.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

This is a very amplified reaction to Knight not playing. He's a fringe first grader at the moment. Much of a muchness if he plays or if he doesn't. So he won't be able to run his 50m in first grade this weekend, who cares? Don't think it's going to be a detriment to us or him at all.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

EJ wrote: August 1, 2018, 11:38 am This is a very amplified reaction to Knight not playing. He's a fringe first grader at the moment. Much of a muchness if he plays or if he doesn't. So he won't be able to run his 50m in first grade this weekend, who cares? Don't think it's going to be a detriment to us or him at all.

For me personally i just dont see the pointnof playing boyd and paulo when both wont be here next year, plus paulo is phoning it in and has all year, knight is here next year so why not let him gave a continued run in first grade and see how he goes?
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

EJ wrote: August 1, 2018, 11:38 am This is a very amplified reaction to Knight not playing. He's a fringe first grader at the moment. Much of a muchness if he plays or if he doesn't. So he won't be able to run his 50m in first grade this weekend, who cares? Don't think it's going to be a detriment to us or him at all.

It’s about showing a player who we are going to need to step up next season that we have faith in him.

It’s become abundantly clear that Paulo was using us to get the heat off in Sydney for his general stupidity, and now that he’s done that he’s leaving. He’s put in zero effort since he signed back with Eels.

Why on earth would we ever want someone like that in the side?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

zim wrote: August 1, 2018, 10:37 am
zim wrote:
edwahu wrote: July 31, 2018, 6:40 pm He has no choice in the backs, there is no outside backs eligible playing for Mounties. The only option would've been to shuffle them around.
They've missed plenty of beats in those positions but because of quality elsewhere in their side they've been pulling out wins. You don't get down by 18 points or lose to manly because you're not missing beats.
It is likely we would have to apply to the nrl to blood a player outside our squad. They can say no if we have a player who could fill that gap.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If Paulo wasn't playing so poorly I wouldn't care but he is playing worse than Knight. He isn't even taking the phone out of his pocket to bother dialling it in.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Raidersteve wrote: August 1, 2018, 12:47 pm
zim wrote: August 1, 2018, 10:37 am
zim wrote:

It is likely we would have to apply to the nrl to blood a player outside our squad. They can say no if we have a player who could fill that gap.
I have no idea on the rules for this far into the season. Are we able to bring in someone like a Taane Milne or Tyler Cornish on a short term deal?
Seb Kris can come in at centre if allowed but I don't think the raiders would want to expose him at that age (19). He's only played a few weeks ISP at this stage.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

No as it's after June 30 and they aren't contracted
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

-TW- wrote: August 1, 2018, 1:30 pm No as it's after June 30 and they aren't contracted
Cheers. I thought there may have been some special rule for injuries.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

zim wrote: August 1, 2018, 10:19 am

I totally disagree our clubs rotation of players over the last few years has been terrible.
Stuart never drops players he never made any accountable for their form. We have no players to pick a few back out isn’t a crisis dude. Why are we the only club in this position every year.
Stop giving them the benifet of the doubt ... 5 years of the same ol and we had the same ol under David Furner as well. Pathetic coaches pathetic management pathetic salary cap management.
Our injury list is nothing go have a look at other clubs in the NRL and their injuries. We’ve been lucky.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Did you quote the wrong person?

If you didn't:
Nothing I said has anything to do with player rotation or accountability, past or future benefit of the doubt.
It's about how this week we have 4 out from our squad in the outside backs giving us 0 options.

Show me a playing roster that can cover 9 outside back positions.

If you want a scenario this week that fits in with the agenda you're pushing on my post talk about Boyd and Paulo playing instead of some of the players that will be here next year.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Billy Walker wrote:Just to play Devils advocate here - do you think there is any consideration to protecting Murchie and Knight a bit? They were part of a team that got pumped last week. We have a tough end to the season and it might not be ideal if the taste for it they get in 2018 involves a series of thumpings that leave scars going into 2019.

Andrew Johns said in his book it made him a better player being out of his depth playing against the Raiders and Broncos teams in the early 90s. He saw what was the level to be in that grade and he knew he had to get to that level.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Ricky's not protecting his people he's just too gutless to tell Paulo the truth.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Agree. Knight is average. I’d rather see Guler or Makatoa given a taste of NRL.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Northern Raider wrote:

Harsh assessment of Knight re: the comment about 50m. The bloke hasn’t had enough ‘time’ opportunity.

Also, I don’t think people are saying Knight is better than Paulo or some sort of gun.... they are suggesting that a bloke with plenty of potential, that is contracted and committed to the club for next season, deserves to be building his game now, to better our team for 2019

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Ricky's not protecting his people he's just too gutless to tell Paulo the truth.
To be fair I’m too gutless to tell Paulo the truth to his face also Image

Maybe Ricky can just break up with him via textas?
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

afgtnk wrote: August 1, 2018, 7:55 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 1, 2018, 7:36 am I like how Sezer is now being viewed as an immortal after a few weeks on the sideline :lol:
It's pretty much only raiderskater.

He vigorously claps whenever Sezer simply touches the ball.

Or moves a finger.

Or breathes.

It's lamer than Kim Jong-un's cheer squad.
As opposed to you, for whom any good thing Sezer does is cause for berating him and if he makes an error you'd want to see him dumped for life?

As for the Knight thing - my enduring memory of last week's game, that moment I hoped it would turn around, was seeing Knight and Soliola get stuck in that first set after half time. Knight made several big hits and backed up for multiple tackles. I think he's got the goods. We just have to give him a chance.

But y'know, lumbering slow bricks that are leaving us instead...
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-GD- wrote: August 1, 2018, 4:44 pm
Billy Walker wrote:Just to play Devils advocate here - do you think there is any consideration to protecting Murchie and Knight a bit? They were part of a team that got pumped last week. We have a tough end to the season and it might not be ideal if the taste for it they get in 2018 involves a series of thumpings that leave scars going into 2019.

Andrew Johns said in his book it made him a better player being out of his depth playing against the Raiders and Broncos teams in the early 90s. He saw what was the level to be in that grade and he knew he had to get to that level.
Makes sense. I think it might be a bit of a gamble though whether it makes or breaks a player depending on what they are made of. If a forward isn't quite grade ready and gets totally owned in a match you could see how the scars might remain. I think NSW exposed a few players to the might of Qld a little early and ruined them at that level. A winger or outside back maybe not a huge issue but can see the sense of easing a forward into grade with controlled quality minutes
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: August 1, 2018, 5:39 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote:Ricky's not protecting his people he's just too gutless to tell Paulo the truth.

I get the sense if you spoke quickly and used big words you'd be safe...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Video: Havili on Panthers and potential Tonga V Australia clash: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... lia-clash/

Gallery: Raiders prepare for Panthers: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/08 ... panthers2/
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by GreenGirl »

I'll tell him. I've been learning some stuff at my boxercise class.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Dusty wrote: August 1, 2018, 5:38 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Harsh assessment of Knight re: the comment about 50m. The bloke hasn’t had enough ‘time’ opportunity.

Also, I don’t think people are saying Knight is better than Paulo or some sort of gun.... they are suggesting that a bloke with plenty of potential, that is contracted and committed to the club for next season, deserves to be building his game now, to better our team for 2019

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Yeah the 50m stat is relative. He hasn’t had the minutes to do much more. My opinion is based on what I’ve seen during his time on the field. He runs too high and doesn’t find his front all that often. Handling has been questionable too. More a concentration issue I feel so He can improve that area.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

GreenGirl wrote:

I'll tell him. I've been learning some stuff at my boxercise class.
Why on earth do they let you use guns at boxercise?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I wasn't sold on Knight but his defense on the weekend impressed me enough to suggest we should persist with him for a while longer.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I think Ricky cares far too much what some of his players think of him.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

raiderskater wrote: August 1, 2018, 5:40 pm

As opposed to you, for whom any good thing Sezer does is cause for berating him and if he makes an error you'd want to see him dumped for life?

As for the Knight thing - my enduring memory of last week's game, that moment I hoped it would turn around, was seeing Knight and Soliola get stuck in that first set after half time. Knight made several big hits and backed up for multiple tackles. I think he's got the goods. We just have to give him a chance.

Didn't Knight also step a couple of tacklers and sprint 20-25m for a solo try in one of his first games? A bit like a poor mans Paul Vaughan? He shows hints of being above journeyman class. Probably a higher ceiling than Bateman...

Or do I have him mixed up with another young forward...
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

BadnMean wrote: August 1, 2018, 8:49 pm
raiderskater wrote: August 1, 2018, 5:40 pm

Didn't Knight also step a couple of tacklers and sprint 20-25m for a solo try in one of his first games? A bit like a poor mans Paul Vaughan? He shows hints of being above journeyman class. Probably a higher ceiling than Bateman...

Or do I have him mixed up with another young forward...
Yes, in the Tigers game he showed a bit of a passing and stepping ability too. I think there's more to him. I also think Bateman is criminally underrated by many on this forum, and is worth more to us than Paulo and Boyd also.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Stuart kept Boyd and Paulo and he let go Vaughn and Thompson.
So now we lose Boyd and Paulo too what does that tell you about Stuart and the Clubs ability to pick and buy players. What a punch line to a bad joke we are. We lose those two plus Austin and have let a few other players go and all we can afford to buy are 2 SL players from Wigan.

Stuart brought in cheap players to get some depth players that no other club wanted or the fact these players couldn’t crack the top grade. In 2016 and esp in 2017 the Raiders Club sold most of our quality depth we had to pay for all these over payed players like Boyd, Paulo, Wighton, Austin and I’d say Sezer and more. At that point Raiders could only bring in players like Oldfield another player who has been around and failed to crack the top grade.

All of this above and the fact Stuart never could drop players for their form because we had no depth and now we lose more players again then we bring in and Stuart will not blood some Mounties back etc... AND don’t say we have injuries and suspensions just look at other clubs with more injuries and suspensions and SOO commitments, Raiders had a perfect easy start to 2018 and we yet again failed.

If it comes down to lack of ability, fitness or mental strength it all comes down to coaching and that is Ricky Stuart. We lose games like we are the ‘Bad News Bears’ Of the NRL.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

InFernos_Raiders wrote:Stuart kept Boyd and Paulo and he let go Vaughn and Thompson.
So now we lose Boyd and Paulo too what does that tell you about Stuart and the Clubs ability to pick and buy players. What a punch line to a bad joke we are. We lose those two plus Austin and have let a few other players go and all we can afford to buy are 2 SL players from Wigan.

Stuart brought in cheap players to get some depth players that no other club wanted or the fact these players couldn’t crack the top grade. In 2016 and esp in 2017 the Raiders Club sold most of our quality depth we had to pay for all these over payed players like Boyd, Paulo, Wighton, Austin and I’d say Sezer and more. At that point Raiders could only bring in players like Oldfield another player who has been around and failed to crack the top grade.

All of this above and the fact Stuart never could drop players for their form because we had no depth and now we lose more players again then we bring in and Stuart will not blood some Mounties back etc... AND don’t say we have injuries and suspensions just look at other clubs with more injuries and suspensions and SOO commitments, Raiders had a perfect easy start to 2018 and we yet again failed.

If it comes down to lack of ability, fitness or mental strength it all comes down to coaching and that is Ricky Stuart. We lose games like we are the ‘Bad News Bears’ Of the NRL.
please list the eligible backs at Mounties that can be used.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Thompson left before Ricky came didn’t he?