Preparing for 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Preparing for 2019

Post by LastRaider »

zim wrote:He's never picking a bench that looks like that.

Edit:
Making a point of how things will be the same then picking a bench that is nothing like 2017 or 2018 in structure, philosophy or personnel :hmmm
I would be willing to bet money on it that next year the bench will run out like that at sometime within the first 6 rounds.

Taking away the big men we lost and Austin the side is consistent with what we have been seeing this year

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Preparing for 2019

Post by zim »

LastRaider wrote: August 15, 2018, 3:37 pm

Edit:
Making a point of how things will be the same then picking a bench that is nothing like 2017 or 2018 in structure, philosophy or personnel :hmmm
I would be willing to bet money on it that next year the bench will run out like that at sometime within the first 6 rounds.

Taking away the big men we lost and Austin the side is consistent with what we have been seeing this year
No, it isn't. You've picked a bench with no recognized props. Utility / Utility (lock) / Lock / Utility (second row).
Even when we were playing Austin and Havili off the bench during this season we had 2 players that had a lot of prop experience on the bench with them.

In 2017 it was even further away from what you've listed. Where we were almost religiously Utility / lock / prop / prop.
Last edited by zim on August 15, 2018, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

zim wrote: August 15, 2018, 3:27 pm Ignoring the position argument there's still a lot of signing/re-signing to be announced to fill out the top 30 squad for next year. At the moment:

Raiders
1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Joseph Tapine
13. Elliot Whitehead

14. Siliva Havili
15. Jack Murchie
16. Emre Guler
17. Dunamis Lui

Mounties
1. Brad Abbey
2. Michael Oldfield
3. Seb Kris (not signed yet)
6. Ata Hingano
7. Brendan O'Hagan (not signed yet)
8. Liam Knight
10. Ryan Sutton
13. Luke Bateman

15. Corey Horsburgh (not signed yet)
16. Setefano Hala (not signed yet)

Even with what's been guessed we are still 3 players off. If you look at every position that hasn't actually been signed it's 7 still to sign.
I believe Hunt is on contract and we will likely leave one spot open. Mulholland said 4 to go so that's more in line. I'd say at least two outside backs will be signed and a depth hooker and a middle.

At the moment players you are still paying count in your 30, and I am not sure if Baptiste is still on the books next year.

Really the players outside our 17 contribute so little it isn't worth much speculation. We only used 24 this year and players 18 to 24 played about 15% of games and probably 5% of minutes.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

I read somewhere that we'd tabled an offer to o'hagan for next year, hopefully thats the case

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

We have a solid back line. The signings are promising for our forwards too.

BUT (and unfortunately) if we have Williams as our 7 next year we are doomed. We need to sign a good halfback next year and I realise it's already too late. No other NRL club would place their bets behind Williams. We have the weakest halves pairing in the league and I would challenge anyone to name a premiership side with that in place. We dont have the leadership on the field to close out games and that should come from the 6 and 7. Simple as that.

Austin was hit and miss... bad D so right decision to let him go, but unfortunately for the club and us fans there was no contingency plan in place that will work for 2019.

I've said it many times and just read a post on it too: Rapana would make a solid fullback if fit enough to do the kms - he needs to be given the keys to roam full time in my opinion. I would love to see Wighton would partner with Cotric and move Croker to win with Leilua.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Usually one or two spots are kept for train and trial as well. I think Guler got added through that route this year, they just never officially told us.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

BTW - based on what we know.. I would imagine that Wighton may be played at 6 > Sezer to 7. We simply won't be a top 8 side with Williams. That may be the contingency thinking ... but who knows.

I am surprised that we had one of the better halves in the game as coach and yet we do not have that in our side...
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think Williams with Bateman next to him may work. Sam just needs to not get caught one on one in defense to be a decent enough option, and Bateman has great mobility and contact in defense. Like the old Lockyer/Carroll combo.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

edwahu wrote: August 15, 2018, 4:26 pm I think Williams with Bateman next to him may work. Sam just needs to not get caught one on one in defense to be a decent enough option, and Bateman has great mobility in defense.
I think attack and leadership is what is being missed... but anyway

Name one halves pairing weaker than ours.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

zim wrote: August 15, 2018, 3:27 pm Ignoring the position argument there's still a lot of signing/re-signing to be announced to fill out the top 30 squad for next year. At the moment:

Raiders
1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Joseph Tapine
13. Elliot Whitehead

14. Siliva Havili
15. Jack Murchie
16. Emre Guler
17. Dunamis Lui

Mounties
1. Brad Abbey
2. Michael Oldfield
6. Ata Hingano
8. Liam Knight
10. Ryan Sutton
13. Luke Bateman

Even with what's been guessed we are still 3 players off. If you look at every position that hasn't actually been signed it's 7 still to sign.
I dont see Sutton signing with us to play for Mounties.....

You will see Bateman and Sutton in the starting 17 for most of next year

Tho it is Ricky :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm
Perth Based Raiders Fan
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

benda wrote: August 15, 2018, 4:28 pm
edwahu wrote: August 15, 2018, 4:26 pm I think Williams with Bateman next to him may work. Sam just needs to not get caught one on one in defense to be a decent enough option, and Bateman has great mobility in defense.

Marshall-King and Lewis/Frawley.
Moses and Salmon.
Taylor and Elgey.

I mean no doubt ours is near the bottom on results it's delivered, but also we aren't signing anyone so the risk of moving Jack has to be considered.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

PerthRaider86 wrote: August 15, 2018, 4:30 pm

Raiders
1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Joseph Tapine
13. Elliot Whitehead

14. Siliva Havili
15. Jack Murchie
16. Emre Guler
17. Dunamis Lui

Mounties
1. Brad Abbey
2. Michael Oldfield
6. Ata Hingano
8. Liam Knight
10. Ryan Sutton
13. Luke Bateman

I dont see Sutton signing with us to play for Mounties.....

You will see Bateman and Sutton in the starting 17 for most of next year

Tho it is Ricky :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm
The very first part of the post points out this is not a position discussion. It's just a list of players in the squad.
But, you're very likely right on Bateman. Sutton I think it all depends on his pre-season. I don't think he's lock for the top 17 in 2019.
Last edited by zim on August 15, 2018, 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

edwahu wrote: August 15, 2018, 4:09 pm

Raiders
1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Sia Soliola
11. John Bateman
12. Joseph Tapine
13. Elliot Whitehead

14. Siliva Havili
15. Jack Murchie
16. Emre Guler
17. Dunamis Lui

Mounties
1. Brad Abbey
2. Michael Oldfield
6. Ata Hingano
8. Liam Knight
10. Ryan Sutton
13. Luke Bateman

I believe Hunt is on contract and we will likely leave one spot open. Mulholland said 4 to go so that's more in line. I'd say at least two outside backs will be signed and a depth hooker and a middle.

At the moment players you are still paying count in your 30, and I am not sure if Baptiste is still on the books next year.

Really the players outside our 17 contribute so little it isn't worth much speculation. We only used 24 this year and players 18 to 24 played about 15% of games and probably 5% of minutes.
Good points. I'm really hanging out to see Horsburgh, O'Hagan and Kris in the squad officially.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Preparing for 2019

Post by LastRaider »

zim wrote:

Edit:

No, it isn't. You've picked a bench with no recognized props. Utility / Utility (lock) / Lock / Utility (second row).
Even when we were playing Austin and Havili off the bench during this season we had 2 players that had a lot of prop experience on the bench with them.

In 2017 it was even further away from what you've listed. Where we were almost religiously Utility / lock / prop / prop.
Zim, who are our true blue props for next year? I can only see Solilia, Lui and Knight? Correct?

EDIT
If I’m correct above at this stage I can only see Lui and Solilia in the starting 17. It’s obvious Knight isn’t in Stuart’s plans for next year otherwise he would be getting game time now for next year. So with this in mind what options does Stuart have for the bench? We also know he is not a fan of using juniors so I can’t see him running any other option

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

knight not at 100% fitness apparently.
Props for 2019 you've got
Lui, Soliola, Sutton, Papalii, Guler, Knight (forgot to put him in here after mentioned above)

Last edited by bonehead on August 15, 2018, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edrick The Entertainer
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Where is the talk of Knight going coming from?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: August 15, 2018, 10:02 pm Where is the talk of Knight going coming from?
Just someone's opinion. He's actually contracted to end 2019.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

edwahu wrote: August 15, 2018, 5:42 pm

Moses and Salmon.
Taylor and Elgey.

I mean no doubt ours is near the bottom on results it's delivered, but also we aren't signing anyone so the risk of moving Jack has to be considered.
Aren't they from the teams running 13th, 14th, and 15th?.....
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

afgtnk wrote: August 15, 2018, 10:27 pm
edwahu wrote: August 15, 2018, 5:42 pm

Moses and Salmon.
Taylor and Elgey.

Aren't they from the teams running 13th, 14th, and 15th?.....
That's why I said no doubt ours is one of the worst. Still we need to be realistic about what options we have.

The question is whether moving Jack is more likely to work and not cost too much at fullback rather than keeping Williams there and hoping his defensive issues are sorted.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

LastRaider wrote: August 15, 2018, 7:47 pm
zim wrote:

Edit:

Zim, who are our true blue props for next year? I can only see Solilia, Lui and Knight? Correct?

EDIT
If I’m correct above at this stage I can only see Lui and Solilia in the starting 17. It’s obvious Knight isn’t in Stuart’s plans for next year otherwise he would be getting game time now for next year. So with this in mind what options does Stuart have for the bench? We also know he is not a fan of using juniors so I can’t see him running any other option
The recent raiders podcast with Stuart in it has him discussing how they are going to rely on the younger guys in 2019. Specifically mentioning Guler. Whether that's just because it's his debut this week or he sees him coming off the bench to start 2019 we'll just have to wait till round 1.
Bonehead had a good list above of who we have currently signed. There is still depth to be re-signed and Mulholland has talked about chasing 1 more middle depending on where we play Tapine, and if Tapine is moved to the middle that means 1 of the other middles is moving to the bench.
With the earlier list and the possible shifting of Tapine and/or Papalii the bench is certain to have at least 1 recognized prop.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

zim wrote:
LastRaider wrote: August 15, 2018, 7:47 pm
zim wrote:

Edit:

EDIT
The recent raiders podcast with Stuart in it has him discussing how they are going to rely on the younger guys in 2019. Specifically mentioning Guler. Whether that's just because it's his debut this week or he sees him coming off the bench to start 2019 we'll just have to wait till round 1.
Bonehead had a good list above of who we have currently signed. There is still depth to be re-signed and Mulholland has talked about chasing 1 more middle depending on where we play Tapine, and if Tapine is moved to the middle that means 1 of the other middles is moving to the bench.
With the earlier list and the possible shifting of Tapine and/or Papalii the bench is certain to have at least 1 recognized prop.
I take your point. Just sums up our coach though, move one of the games best edge forwards in Tapine to the middle.

I still don’t have faith in Stuart will pick the best sides week in week out next year. It will be about his loyal mates first, then the rest second.

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Tapine won’t go to the middle. J. Bateman will.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Preparing for 2019

Post by LastRaider »

Dusty wrote:Tapine won’t go to the middle. J. Bateman will.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
It’s interesting. I can’t see Bateman starting next year and it’s hard to see him playing in the middle as he is playing a lot of centre at the moment.

I don’t know where he will play but I would prefer to have TPJ over Bateman at the moment. He is just destroying teams in the middle at the moment.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Whitehead was very effective in the middle for a while, until it started to tire him. If it was a planned move with a pre-season of prep and Havilii to spell him 10-15 mins a half then it could work longer term...
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Bateman would be the thinnest lock in the NRL if he played there. He's smaller than a lot of 2nd rowers including our own.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Preparing for 2019

Post by LastRaider »

I agree Zim, he needs to bulk up over the off season but not lose his agility if he is to play middle

Sezer's Palace
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by Sezer's Palace »

Thinking he could play a role like Cam Murray for the Rabbitohs.

He's only 90kg, 1.84cm but plays in the middle for them and is really effective. Bateman definitely seems to be a lot stronger than he looks.
Instagram: @sezerspalace
Twitter: @jackkcronin
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I think you're more likely to see Bateman in the centres than in the middle!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote: August 20, 2018, 1:16 pm I think you're more likely to see Bateman in the centres than in the middle!
So which of our current centres is likely to move?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Victor Radley is playing great at lock. Similar player and even smaller.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

People are confusing solidness with height / weight. Chickens look at Bateman's legs and comment how he shouldn't skip leg day.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: August 20, 2018, 1:58 pm Victor Radley is playing great at lock. Similar player and even smaller.
Exactly.
He was a half come hooker in jrs too. Hits like a truck though.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

edwahu wrote: August 20, 2018, 1:58 pm Victor Radley is playing great at lock. Similar player and even smaller.
Victor Radley is a dead set gun too.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The problem with Bateman playing lock isnt his size, it's that he's not very good. He's had some moments but if we want to be a successful team, he's got to be #17-20 player at best.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Pigman wrote:The problem with Bateman playing lock isnt his size, it's that he's not very good. He's had some moments but if we want to be a successful team, he's got to be #17-20 player at best.
talking John I think

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer