Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: I'm tired and I'm worn down

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: September 22, 2018, 9:07 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: September 22, 2018, 9:01 pmNewtown
They're not eligible to make an NRL Grand Final either.
Oh. Balmain?
Nope.
Well I guess we suck. But at least we are around to suck.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

University?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: September 22, 2018, 9:15 pmUniversity?
Nope, nor Glebe.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:
Nope, nor Glebe.
Annandale then?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 22, 2018, 9:27 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Nope, nor Glebe.
Annandale then?
Nope, they actually have to be IN the competition to be "waiting".
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

It is always depressing for me when the Roosters make it, being a Bondi Junction boy and all, my decision as a child to follow the Raiders has left me wondering ‘what if’ cause I could of easily been a Roosters fan. I Could have gone through 7 Grand Final weeks...that’s depressing

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

greeneyed wrote: September 22, 2018, 8:55 pm
Leebola wrote: September 22, 2018, 8:48 pm
sms316 wrote: September 22, 2018, 6:42 pm Grand final week is upon us. And for the 24th year in a row we all sit around scratching.

It’s pretty bloody deflating. How many other clubs haven’t been to the big dance in that time?
North Sydney Bears.
They're not actually eligible to make an NRL Grand Final. And haven't been for a long time.
Wat??!? When did this happen??
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

sms316 wrote: September 22, 2018, 6:42 pm Grand final week is upon us. And for the 24th year in a row we all sit around scratching.

It’s pretty bloody deflating. How many other clubs haven’t been to the big dance in that time?
If you mean the last 24 years then it's only us. But there have been others like Souths who have gone longer in not making a GF. From 1971 to 2014, 43 years of tears. (This does include a couple of years when they were punted from the competition.)

But you are right - We are OVERDUE Sticky.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

All jokes aside, it is depressing and wearing. Lui Bon picked it earlier in the thread though - the optimism has started creeping back. We have a dangerous back five, an near international quality pack, and who knows, maybe Ryley Jacks can infect the team with some of the Melbourne Storm Success Virus.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm tired and I'm worn down.

I'm struggling to type this post..

I'm very tired.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Leebola wrote: September 23, 2018, 2:51 pm All jokes aside, it is depressing and wearing. Lui Bon picked it earlier in the thread though - the optimism has started creeping back. We have a dangerous back five, an near international quality pack, and who knows, maybe Ryley Jacks can infect the team with some of the Melbourne Storm Success Virus.
We've lost 2 of our worst defenders by default. They knocked us back. While I am optimistic Bateman, Sutton and perhaps Jacks will be an improvement. They are still being coached by the same imbecile that persisted with Austin and Paulo all season when both of them thoroughly deserved a significant spell in reserve grade.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

GEM-

Sayin it how it is.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Nexts years our year lads!

I can feel it in my waters.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

I renewed my membership because Austin and Paulo are gone. That is literally the only optimism I can find going into next year.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

But my waters....
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: J Toots

Post by Supershamrock »

Torn

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

The closer it gets to the pre-season starting and still no movement of any players of note to the Raiders.

I am deeply worried about 2019.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

Yeah that's been there since about the midway point of this season.... the worry I mean

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
luke wrote:
RedRaider wrote: September 19, 2018, 8:26 pm
T_R wrote: September 18, 2018, 7:46 pm I am cold and I am shamed, lying naked on the floor.
Natalie Imbruglia joins the GH. :welcome:
it's a cover :)
I bet he knew that, but he didn’t want to leave you with the wrong impression
Wow, I can’t believe people missed the Imbruglia reference I made.

Maybe I just admitted I know too much about Imbruglia... what a big mistake
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Timbo wrote: October 29, 2018, 9:55 pm The closer it gets to the pre-season starting and still no movement of any players of note to the Raiders.

Have you still been expecting it? Don made it clear he has spent the cap 3 months ago.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
luke wrote:
RedRaider wrote: September 19, 2018, 8:26 pm
T_R wrote: September 18, 2018, 7:46 pm I am cold and I am shamed, lying naked on the floor.
Natalie Imbruglia joins the GH. :welcome:
it's a cover :)
I bet he knew that, but he didn’t want to leave you with the wrong impression
Wow, I can’t believe people missed the Imbruglia reference I made.

Maybe I just admitted I know too much about Imbruglia... what a big mistake
I saw what you did there Fui (and again)
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Green eyed Mick wrote: September 23, 2018, 5:48 pm I renewed my membership because Austin and Paulo are gone. That is literally the only optimism I can find going into next year.
Luke Bateman is on the open market and could be moved on if we need to make salary cap room for a certain Kiwi halfback on a back-ended deal.

Rapana is also on the market, but management would be insane to release him seeing as he's a pretty good back-up fullback as well.

So, now we're waiting on Wighton's sentencing to see if that has any impact on the roster and salary cap.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

I'm tired and I'm worn down

Post by Johno »

Crazy to think signing an elite half back depends on our full back going into the slammer.

EDIT
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Johno wrote: November 1, 2018, 6:02 pm Crazy to think signing an elite half back depends on our full back going into the slammer.

EDIT
Let's hope it doesn't come to that. Wighton finally looked like an NRL-quality fullback last season and he has a young family.

Anyway, Raiders have said they're not going after Johnson.

In other news, Whitehead and new signing Bateman are both up for the Golden Boot. Looks like we might have a team that can do a top 8 finish or better at least. Now, it's up to Ricky to prove we have a coach who can still do the same.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I'm tired and I'm worn down

Just reading this article about a proposed 2 tier comp, with relegation and promotion. 2 divisions of 12 teams.

I think this is exactly what we need to give our club the kick up the backside it needs. If they had the fear of knowing mediocrity would result in relegation and the loss of Tier 1 money, they might get their act together

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c921900f13
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It’ll never happen. And nor should it. These are the teams that would have been relegated in the period of the NRL:

2018 Eels, Sea Eagles
2017 Knights, Titans
2016 Knights, Roosters
2015 Knights, Wests Tigers
2014 Sharks, Raiders
2013 Eels, Wests Tigers
2012 Eels, Panthers
2011 Titans, Raiders
2010 Storm, Cowboys
2009 Roosters, Sharks
2008 Bulldogs, Cowboys
2007 Panthers, Knights
2006 Rabbitohs, Roosters
2005 Knights, Raiders
2004 Rabbitohs, Warriors
2003 Rabbitohs, Sea Eagles
2002 Bulldogs, Rabbitohs
2001 Panthers, Cowboys
2000 Cowboys, Warriors
1999 Magpies, Cowboys
1998 Magpies, Chargers

I’d say the NRL would only have been happy in 1998, maybe 2011 and 2014. Due to TV rights, they would never be happy losing any team in western Sydney. Would not risk losing any Queensland team, or even in New Zealand. Nor the Roosters. I doubt they’d want to lose a rugby league stronghold like Newcastle.

In addition, you can’t dream up 12 locations not now covered that the broadcasters would be happy with... ie in Sydney or Brisbane... at a stretch Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide.

The NRL has to work out where it wants teams, strategically, as the AFL has done. And cover the major population centres. Promotion and relegation might work in England... because the geographical spread of the teams is small and the TV markets are not highly localised. But in Australia the population is concentrated in cities with huge distances between them... and the TV networks only cover the five largest State capitals.

To be most attractive to broadcasters, sports need to cover all of those five State capital markets... which is why the AFL has a bit more advantage in broadcast deals. NRL competes in the same ball park, because they’re strongest in NSW, ACT, QLD which covers over half the country’s population... plus they have the little bonus of New Zealand. But the NRL can’t afford to lose any big team in Sydney/Brisbane or the major regional markets... in favour of smaller regional markets. And that’s what the Bears are essentially proposing.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

edwahu wrote: October 30, 2018, 6:52 am
Timbo wrote: October 29, 2018, 9:55 pm The closer it gets to the pre-season starting and still no movement of any players of note to the Raiders.

Have you still been expecting it? Don made it clear he has spent the cap 3 months ago.
Remember when the narrative used to be Don was a business genius selling us all down the garden path by telling us we were tapped out and couldn't possibly add any big names? That seems a long time ago.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I don't know, I think it could prove interesting to see it come to affect.

I've made a draft table of how the two tiers could look if it started next year, using the results from this year. Admittedly, it's a bleak look for Qld, since Cowboys and Titans finished in the bottom 4. My table also includes regions champing at the bit for an NRL side, as well as the last 3 Qld Cup winners. I was going to include NSW Cup winners, but they are all NRL sides anyway. If it were me, I'd be looking at relocating NSW Cup teams (ie Jets) to places like Adelaide.

Either way, it would be a good way to ensure the Clubs are getting their act together

NRL Premiership
01.Roosters
02. Storm
03. Rabbitohs
04. Sharks
05. Panthers
06. Broncos
07. Dragons
08. Warriors
09. Wests Tigers
10. Raiders
11. Knights
12. Bulldogs

NRL League 2
01. Cowboys
02. Titans
03. Parramatta Eels
04. Manly Sea Eagles
05. Perth
06. North Sydney Bears
07. Fiji side
08. 2nd NZ Team
09. Adelaide
10. Redcliffe Dolphins
11. PNG Hunters
12. Burleigh Bears

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

In that second tier, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, possibly 8, prove my point.

None of them are attractive to broadcasters, at least broadcasters with any financial clout, that deliver revenue to the game. The ones that do would be a second team in Brisbane (Redcliffe is pointless... it is a small geographically isolated peninsula with a very small population. No one in Brisbane would follow that team), Perth and Adelaide. Maybe an extra team in New Zealand.

Most offer smaller population bases than current teams. Fiji doesn’t have enough financial backing to even get into NSW Premiership. Their stadium has a grandstand with 4,300 seats (capacity on hills 15,000). PNG’s Stadium is about the same. These are developing countries. I doubt they’d ever have the capacity to play at NRL level.

The Burleigh Bears are one feeder team for the Titans. The Gold Coast can barely support one NRL team. You’d be better off basing a team in southern Brisbane proper. Easts Tigers are the wealthiest Queensland Cup team, alongside the Dolphins... and they’re smack bang in the middle of south (east) Brisbane. But you’d definitely be better off with a new entity in Brisbane... based in the south, but marketed to the whole city. That gives you the maximum population base to work with, and it’d be much bigger than the average base in Sydney.

The next most obvious places are Perth, then Adelaide/Wellington.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I also think in the second tier you'd get a massive gap between the top few teams and the worse teams. They days of weekly 60-0 beltings would be back.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 12, 2018, 1:02 pm I also think in the second tier you'd get a massive gap between the top few teams and the worse teams. They days of weekly 60-0 beltings would be back.
Indeed. Look what’s happened to Leigh Centurions. They been relegated this year... two players are holding them to their contracts and the whole club has fallen over entirely. It’s a recipe for huge instability in the code, disenfranchising supporters.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

The fix would be in massively.

Do you honestly think they'd ever let the Broncos or Roosters drop to the second division? Meanwhile if they got relegated, how would clubs like the Knights or Titans survive?

It'd be an unmitigated catastrophe, and only people who looked at the Premier League and didn't put more than one tenth of a seconds worth of thought in applying it to RL would consider it a good idea.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Timbo wrote:The fix would be in massively.

Do you honestly think they'd ever let the Broncos or Roosters drop to the second division? Meanwhile if they got relegated, how would clubs like the Knights or Titans survive?

It'd be an unmitigated catastrophe, and only people who looked at the Premier League and didn't put more than one tenth of a seconds worth of thought in applying it to RL would consider it a good idea.
Yeah, but do you honestly think the Broncos or Roosters would get themselves in a situation to allow themselves to get relegated?

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Roosters have done so three times in the era of the NRL (if bottom two were relegated). That's as many times as the Raiders. The Roosters even won the spoon once.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: November 12, 2018, 12:25 pm I don't know, I think it could prove interesting to see it come to affect.

I've made a draft table of how the two tiers could look if it started next year, using the results from this year. Admittedly, it's a bleak look for Qld, since Cowboys and Titans finished in the bottom 4. My table also includes regions champing at the bit for an NRL side, as well as the last 3 Qld Cup winners. I was going to include NSW Cup winners, but they are all NRL sides anyway. If it were me, I'd be looking at relocating NSW Cup teams (ie Jets) to places like Adelaide.

Either way, it would be a good way to ensure the Clubs are getting their act together

NRL Premiership
01.Roosters
02. Storm
03. Rabbitohs
04. Sharks
05. Panthers
06. Broncos
07. Dragons
08. Warriors
09. Wests Tigers
10. Raiders
11. Knights
12. Bulldogs

NRL League 2
01. Cowboys
02. Titans
03. Parramatta Eels
04. Manly Sea Eagles
05. Perth
06. North Sydney Bears
07. Fiji side
08. 2nd NZ Team
09. Adelaide
10. Redcliffe Dolphins
11. PNG Hunters
12. Burleigh Bears
You already have the Titans on the Gold Coast so I don't think you'd be giving the Burleigh Bears a shot. I'd prefer a NSW Country side