All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: I'm tired and I'm worn down

Post by -PJ- »

I'm numb from the eyeballs down..

Should us fans do a quick whip around to raise funds to buy a halfback ?

I can't believe there's no $$$ to replace Break...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Look, lets call a spade a **** spade here.

There is one man who can solve this issue and we all know who it is. And so long as that **** COWARD TR refuses to step up to the **** plate, buy the club with the console change in his car and gives us the fresh start we so deserve, then the club will go no where.

Im sick and tired of tip toeing around the issue. Sort it out, TR. Sort it RIGHT THE **** OUT
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

speaking of billionaires, where's cueball

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Given he's spending $100 million on the new house... I can't see how he can afford to buy the Raiders until 2019.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

GE I agree with the mental thing but....the important thing is, is it is fixable. Lack of ability though well that's not something that even a truckload of heart can make up for.
Re: the English signings. Pretty sure many thought the same when Whitehead and Hodgson signed on...and look at them now!
Paulo has given us nothing this year (injured for most of it) Boyd is about as consistent as Craig Frawley was and Austin's woeful defensive decisions literally cost us several games this year....and still somehow we are just off the pace.
Let's see how these poms go. Will they really be significant downgrades on what we have had this year? I'm not sure...
On another note, thank you for all you do here. Your commitment is without peer and if some of our players had the commitment to the cause you have had over many years, we would undoubtedly be a much more successful club.
I've been reading this forum since almost it began-I don't post frequently but read constantly. Through the good, the bad and the very bad, you always front up. So kudos to you for all that you do I appreciate it a lot.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thanks Old School Green!
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Old School Green wrote: July 27, 2018, 7:58 pm Hope you're feeling a little better after a bex and a good lie down GE! :D
As a long suffering Raiders fan I'm used to disappointment. In reality though, this squad isn't too far off. That stat about being in front after 60 mins etc; the amount of games we have lost by under four points over several seasons etc etc
Is it really a player ability / talent issue or is it some type of psychological issue that sees the good old 'faders' do their usual trick and lose. Even if we could say win 50% of those games, we are right in the mix.
We can always wish for new signings; a new coach; new ceo etc....but realistically if we win even half of those close games, if we can sort the mental stuff, we are somewhere in the mix.
I'm sick of feeling crap after rubbish implosions but whilst knowing we have the ability yet fall over like we do is frustrating...I think it's better than being absolutely off the pace and with cattle that just isn't good enough to compete.
We are good enough, we just are mentally weak. Surely that's fixable in the end...whereas crapness is crapness.
Glass half full GE :)
The upside is we are losing arguably our 3 most inconsistent players. The downside is we tried to keep them all and have only replaced one of them.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We desperately need a half, and we're not getting one, clearly. I'd love to think someone like Brendan O'Hagan could step up, but I don't think that's happening. He's too young. If the plan is Hingano in the halves... we're in for a whole world of pain. He is a NSW Premiership level player.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Green eyed Mick wrote: July 27, 2018, 8:43 pm
Old School Green wrote: July 27, 2018, 7:58 pm Hope you're feeling a little better after a bex and a good lie down GE! :D
As a long suffering Raiders fan I'm used to disappointment. In reality though, this squad isn't too far off. That stat about being in front after 60 mins etc; the amount of games we have lost by under four points over several seasons etc etc
Is it really a player ability / talent issue or is it some type of psychological issue that sees the good old 'faders' do their usual trick and lose. Even if we could say win 50% of those games, we are right in the mix.
We can always wish for new signings; a new coach; new ceo etc....but realistically if we win even half of those close games, if we can sort the mental stuff, we are somewhere in the mix.
I'm sick of feeling crap after rubbish implosions but whilst knowing we have the ability yet fall over like we do is frustrating...I think it's better than being absolutely off the pace and with cattle that just isn't good enough to compete.
We are good enough, we just are mentally weak. Surely that's fixable in the end...whereas crapness is crapness.
The upside is we are losing arguably our 3 most inconsistent players. The downside is we tried to keep them all and have only replaced one of them.
The upside to this is that we obviously offered them what they have shown they are worth not what they think they are worth!
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

It was quite sad watching Lachlan Lewis for the Dogs tonight. He really isn't very good. But there are two things he can clearly do.

Think and tackle.
EVH
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by EVH »

CMooooon Get yourrself together man! As already said, clubs can wait 50 years for a premiership, that's just sport, look at the Cubs, 108 year drought! 2016 was a false dawn, you wouldn't blame anyone for thinking we'd arrived for a sustained period of success, but we were naive in thinking that and have got burnt, and its hurt, i feel your pain.

I feel very positive about the near future. Hodgo just keeps getting better, his absence this year highlighted his importance to such a degree it has galvanised his position as the leader of the team, no more hazy lines as to who runs the ship, he does.

Just as in 2015, it didn't take that much tweaking for a team losing so many close games to come out and start winning again. We've cut the fat, literally, and rid of a half that's been more of a hindrance than anything positive. I personally am very excited about these englishmen coming, they seem to lift over here, its a very good pathway to exploit and i doubt very much they will ever have a team in the NRL so were safe on that one unlike say, QLD.

Don't forget we went from the awful doldrum of 2013 to the exhilarating high of 2016 in 3 years!! Our slip back into mediocrity has just been growing pains, and we will bounce back stronger for it.

UP THE MIGHTY DARE ICED COFFEE MILK!!
Ah, might as well jump (Jump!) Might as well jump Go ahead an' jump (jump!) Go ahead and jump Ow oh, hey you! Who said that?
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

We are staring down the barrel of having a park footy side next season.

This is just chaos.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Yeah I’m pretty pissed with Don’s latest comments. I’m going to continue to support the team next year as I always did but their not getting my membership money out of disgust. Board needs to know their losing members with their poor management

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I had a solid sleep last night, up early as usual but feeling "fresh and wound up".
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

:roflmao North Korean raiders!!
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Old School Green wrote: July 27, 2018, 8:51 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote: July 27, 2018, 8:43 pm
The upside to this is that we obviously offered them what they have shown they are worth not what they think they are worth!
This isn't true though. We offered Austin $700K. We got lucky that his narcissism and self-delusion had him believing he was worth more.

We also offered Paulo a massive deal but the Eels offered more and he always wanted to go back to Sydney anyway.

Maybe by chance we will come across replacements who are better and more consistent than the three we have offloaded but anyone who thinks it is good management rather than good fortune is an idiot.

Ricky genuinely has no idea what he is doing. The evidence of that is as conclusive as the evidence of Don's gross incompetence.
Yap
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dave Leave Nothing In The Tank Shillington

Post by Yap »

Imagine how dire it would of been if Austin had taken up our 700k deal
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Yap wrote: July 28, 2018, 9:19 am Imagine how dire it would of been if Austin had taken up our 700k deal
We'd be ****ed. We're probably still ****ed unless we get really bloody lucky and Sutton and Batemen (assuming he signs) turn out to be every bit as good and consistent in their roles as Hodgo and Whitehead are in theirs.

As for who replaces Austin. Wighton and Williams are better halves of that there is little doubt at this point. And given Hingano's age, I am not willing to write him off quite yet.
cholztrad
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by cholztrad »

I stopped caring a while ago, while I used to hang on the injury reports, team line up and weekly news in the last couple years I just check NRL.com on Thursday and then see when the Raiders are playing. The sport seems to keep spiring down, what was a rule last week could be something new this week. Any new rule that seems to be introduced seems to add extra greyness, I just seem to get the impression that with all the greyness that the refs are able to rule out of bias.. lets take the forward pass rule as an example, they would let many flattish but forward passes slide but then they will pin a flattish backward pass that's lead to a try. If there's a knock on in the ruck, it could either be a knock on or a penalty and many times a case could be made either way but the difference between the call generally results in an attacking opportunity for the team it went towards.

With that being said even if the team you support play their heart out and deserve to win the ref in the middle could easily take it away without it looking like it's corrupt, it's a turn off and when it happens it leaves a real **** taste. Myself and many of my close friends who used to love this game have tuned out and for the most part it's not because our teams are underperforming but because sitting through a couple hours of TV time to then worry about the Refs deciding who gets the points is a turn off.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I lost the care factor a while ago. I view it for what it is these days - entertainment. I get the **** if we are blatantly robbed like last week, if we aren't in the game at all, or if we lose to the Broncos. Apart from that, even the most heartbreaking chokes I don't get too upset - they're entertaining. It's hard to get too invested in such a poorly run club getting around in such a poorly run competition.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Sometimes it needs to get a lot worse before it can get better. Often the worst thing can happen is to be thereabouts every couple of years cause there isn't much pressure to change. That's basically how we've operated for the past 20 years ie to slide into 7th or 8th place every couple of years and wonder what could of been had campo not gone down in the semi etc etc. We are now entering a sustained period of failure that we as a club have not endured since the early 80s. 1 finals serious out of 5 years is as bad as it gets (excluding teams with financial problems). There will be light at the end of the tunnel, make no mistake about that. But it will require change and leadership. I believe Dr Hawkins is capable of providing the leadership we require to be successful. I just hope the failures endured this year provides the impetus for him to do something about it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Who's Dr Hawkins?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: July 28, 2018, 1:10 pm Who's Dr Hawkins?
It's FROGs doctor..he's currently seeing him for depression brought on by supporting the Raiders.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Timbo wrote: July 28, 2018, 1:09 am We are staring down the barrel of having a park footy side next season.

This is just chaos.
Unless there is a monumental drop off in form from most of the side I don't think we will be a park footy side.

This year we are the No.1 attacking side in the comp. We have lost two props who for most of this season have either been injured or in indifferent form. We have lost a 5/8 who thinks he is worth more than $700k per season but more often than not performs like a 'minimum' payment squad filler. So bad even Sticky lost his Stick with him.

Next year we will have three English Internationals in the squad. I think Papa will regain his Australian jersey as well. Tapine is a Kiwi International. Five Internationals in our pack, plus the Tongan International hooker as a backup. We have Lepana and Cotric. We will retain 2 of the best goal kickers in the league and have a useful back up to them in Sam Williams. We will not be short of points imo.

Defensively though we need a lot of work. It is the main area of the game which keeps us out of the big end of season matches and prompts threads such as this.

I am a natural optimist though and say to my fellow Raiders fans: "It's no good crying in your beer, it only sends it flat". To look back over the past 20 years is depressing, so why look there? Look forward to better days ahead. It's what us glass half full blokes do. :)
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

I have said it for years that we will never win another premiership. Ever. We are a joke of a club.

But in saying that, I want a team that gets out there and leaves everything on the park. I don't care for flashy, I want gutsy. I want passion. I want a team, a coach, a club that makes the tough decisions regardless of what ifs. If a players causes the club grief, sack him. If a player punches a member of the public, sack him. If a coach goes 5 season with only one finals appearance and onky one win from the 3 games played that post season, sack him. If a player Joey Leilua's or Bronson Harrison's or Josh Dugan's or whatever through half a season, giving zero **** in regards to team morale or culture, sack him.

I want players that play for the jersey every minute of every game. Not 70 minutes of every game for two seasons. Not 40 mins. Not 60. 80. I don't care if they win, I don't expect success. I just want a team or club to be proud of. No **** heads, no destroyers of clubs, no nappies changed, and no king hits thrown.

Is that too much to ask? It does seem so.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

kris-ko
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Papasaurus

Post by kris-ko »

I'm naive enough to think sending this thread to management might make a difference, but they're probably naive enough to think our feelings don't matter.

If anyone out there is listening: Achtung, baby. There is a general malaise around the fanbase at the moment, which manifests itself on Twitter and in Game Day threads around 65 minutes into each game when we're bracing for the inevitable implosion no matter how far ahead we are on the scoreboard.

It's unhealthy. It's not fun. And by the time last week's debacle at Shark Park rolled around, my senses were so dulled I did little more than take a quick look at Jesse Ramien's SuperCoach score before moving on with my day.

I do a pretty good job of switching off between games (hence the pitiful post count in my 10 years of active service on the GH), but I'll never be able to invest any less in something that's been part of my life since 1987. Been living in Delhi for three seasons now so the Raiders are my weekly dose of home, and my Indian wife has now been indoctrinated so it'd be cruel to leave her bleeding green on her own.

Still, it's slightly depressing that we're more an ongoing joke than a premiership threat. Opposition fans don't hate us and they certainly don't fear us. We're neither here nor there, like filler tracks at the end of a Katy Perry album. We're the sad, routine Green Machine.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I’ll see you all in this thread at 9.15 PM tonight. Should be fun

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

kris-ko wrote:I'm naive enough to think sending this thread to management might make a difference, but they're probably naive enough to think our feelings don't matter.

If anyone out there is listening: Achtung, baby. There is a general malaise around the fanbase at the moment, which manifests itself on Twitter and in Game Day threads around 65 minutes into each game when we're bracing for the inevitable implosion no matter how far ahead we are on the scoreboard.

It's unhealthy. It's not fun. And by the time last week's debacle at Shark Park rolled around, my senses were so dulled I did little more than take a quick look at Jesse Ramien's SuperCoach score before moving on with my day.

I do a pretty good job of switching off between games (hence the pitiful post count in my 10 years of active service on the GH), but I'll never be able to invest any less in something that's been part of my life since 1987. Been living in Delhi for three seasons now so the Raiders are my weekly dose of home, and my Indian wife has now been indoctrinated so it'd be cruel to leave her bleeding green on her own.

Still, it's slightly depressing that we're more an ongoing joke than a premiership threat. Opposition fans don't hate us and they certainly don't fear us. We're neither here nor there, like filler tracks at the end of a Katy Perry album. We're the sad, routine Green Machine.
There is no doubt that the Raiders management would track the GH threads.

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Brew wrote:I’ll see you all in this thread at 9.15 PM tonight. Should be fun

I should be a 1/2 dozen beers down by then, so should be in full flight

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

LastRaider wrote:
kris-ko wrote:I'm naive enough to think sending this thread to management might make a difference, but they're probably naive enough to think our feelings don't matter.

I doubt it

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Yap
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dave Leave Nothing In The Tank Shillington

Post by Yap »

LastRaider wrote: July 28, 2018, 5:52 pm
Brew wrote:I’ll see you all in this thread at 9.15 PM tonight. Should be fun

I should be a 1/2 dozen beers down by then, so should be in full flight

We need a "LIKE" button haha
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

LastRaider wrote:

No there's plenty of doubt
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Brew wrote: July 28, 2018, 5:43 pm I’ll see you all in this thread at 9.15 PM tonight. Should be fun

Sorry Brew, I won't be joining you for that session..

But I'll catch up tomorrow..

Later all..

#bleedgreen
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

I think to suggest that we will never win another premiership is a bit of a stretch, unless you believe the Raiders will be kicked out/relocated or the comp itself will fold in the next 20-30 years. The change at the top most are calling for will happen inevitably, people dont live or work forever. But whether it will be for better or worse remains to be seen.

Honestly though I think half the problem is that the fanbase isn't putting any pressure on the club to make a change either. The attitudes in this forum are quite different to a lot of others you see around social media, theres a fair section of Raiders supporters who seem more than happy with how things are going and wouldnt dare criticize players coaches or staff. Others as seen in this thread just fade out as fans and stop caring (which is fine, not having a dig at anyone). You see when it comes to tough times at other clubs in the NRL or other sports the fans make themselves heard. Banners at games, social media movements etc. It gets the media talking about it and usually leads to something happening. Perhaps it wont with us either, but you can be sure no changes are made the way things are going. I cant see it happening but.
bleedgreen99
Brett Mullins

Post by bleedgreen99 »

I’m sick to death of Ricky giving plodders a million chances while holding young stars back. He thinks not giving cotric what he wants it’ll toughen him up or something but if someone knows they deserve something and it’s withheld for no reason that can only piss them off. Why sacrifice if you don’t get the rewards