All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: I'm tired and I'm worn down

Post by gangrenous »

Pigman wrote:
Woodgers wrote: July 29, 2018, 8:21 am
I nominate Pigman to come on and change the game here. Impact player off the bench who has been nursed through the junior grades by Nickman and has buzz words like accountability up the yin yang.
I am built more for impact these days but we'd need a quick 5-10 and get me off the park
I hear that’s all they really want
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

"10 minutes? What would you do for the other 8, sweetie?" - my wife.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

How ungrateful of your wife. It is probably the best 2 minutes of her life.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Pigman wrote: July 30, 2018, 7:59 pm
I nominate Pigman to come on and change the game here. Impact player off the bench who has been nursed through the junior grades by Nickman and has buzz words like accountability up the yin yang.
I am built more for impact these days but we'd need a quick 5-10 and get me off the park
With all the American sports terminology you use I reckon you could pull on over the NRL. Fake a CV saying you graduated with a Masters in Sports Administration from Pittsburgh and adapt an American accent. "Hot shot US administrator to save NRL (on $1.5m salary)".

yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Sia Soliola says the Raiders have let Ricky Stuart down

Dejected Canberra Raiders veteran Sia Soliola says the playing group has let Ricky Stuart down as they stare down the barrel of missing the finals for the fifth time in six years...

Stuart is still the same old passionate Raider and Soliola says the rugby league hall of famer has changed his process of "approaching the group" to better manage his squad having signed on until the end of 2020.

"It’s not just him, [we've let down] the whole community. If you look at the scope of how our season has gone, a lot of things that didn’t really go our way were the things we could have controlled," Soliola said.

"He’s definitely changed, I guess you have to when you’re going to different spaces. For himself, he has been awesome, he’s been great."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zud3.html

Anyone who read the article about Ricky praising Sia recently, would not be surprised by this mutual admiration.

Personally, I was disappointed that Soliola was re-signed. I haven't bought into this thing of him being the side's spiritual leader (whatever that means).

I'd also welcome back Tim Sheens, having watched his team of international no-names (with the exception of Todd Carney, who came in off the bench) beat fierce local derby rival Hull FC on the weekend. I could rattle off five more reasons why he'd be a good candidate based on that performance.

In fact:
- he got Hull KR back into the ESL with a roster of nobodies. Imagine what he could do with a team filled with internationals.
- encourages flair - in particular a) a kick ahead on the first tackle then soccered along by a supporting player leading to a 70m try; b) charge down and recovery at the 30th minute mark. Leilua and Rapana would thrive again and we might see some players surprise us.
- Hull KR's kicking game is what we lack. Forget the occasional good game from our halves, it is where we are weak. Sheens could probably fix this.
- his current coaching staff use MacBooks same as the Raiders. Presumably, they're using the same apps as the Raiders. So, even if he had to use Ricky's current team, there' be no acclimatisation time lost as he got used to that side of things.
- would bring back hope for the fans, tinged with the nostalgia of better seasons.

As for Ricky, I'd make him director of community relations so he can focus on his respite centres and bring in Sia and his charity work. He could also coordinate any other charity work being done by active roster members.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 31, 2018, 10:28 am
Pigman wrote: July 30, 2018, 7:59 pm
With all the American sports terminology you use I reckon you could pull on over the NRL. Fake a CV saying you graduated with a Masters in Sports Administration from Pittsburgh and adapt an American accent. "Hot shot US administrator to save NRL (on $1.5m salary)".

That’s almost crazy enough to work
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I reckon pig would actually make a fist of it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: July 31, 2018, 11:21 am I reckon pig would actually make a fist of it.

i wouldn't
I'd get beaten like a red headed step child at the negotiation table by managers. I dont pretend that im even remotely qualified to do this stuff, or that im an expert. But i do expect those that run our club and are involved in this process to handle their business
and right now it would appear to me they are getting some very basic things wrong, repeatedly.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Nah you'd be right.

I could see you and TR running things.

Manager: Player X wants $500k

Pig: you've gotta be kidding me? **** off, I've got work to do.

TR: my associate is trying to say we disagree on the contract amount, as it's disproportionate compared to the players ability. We're prepared to offer 2 crayons and some milk.
Pig: and its not chocolate milk. **** that.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Pffft.

I'd have his kids chained up in a basement somewhere.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

That's AFTER be signs the contract.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Missing the finals 4 out our last 5.... i didnt realise it was that bad :nooo
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Lucky wrote:Missing the finals 4 out our last 5.... i didnt realise it was that bad :nooo
It’s actually 5 from 6

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

LastRaider wrote:
Lucky wrote:Missing the finals 4 out our last 5.... i didnt realise it was that bad :nooo
It’s actually 5 from 6

6 of 8

Edrick The Entertainer
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

bonehead wrote: August 3, 2018, 1:39 pm
LastRaider wrote:
It’s actually 5 from 6

6 of 8

Three of the last ten.

**** me I hadn't realized it was that bad.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

and we haven't been in a gf since 1994

Edrick The Entertainer
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Think of the positives though, Ricky Stuart is a Hall of Famer and that alone warrants a 15 year extension.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I am done with this organisation, until Ricky Stuart and at least half this squad is no longer associated with us.

This organisation is riddled with cancers, and they have no clue how to cut them out.

I’ve had enough
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

It was more fun supporting this club in 2005.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Schifty wrote:It was more fun supporting this club in 2005.
The end of 2005 where we were picking people out of the crowd cause we were that busted
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

-TW- wrote: August 5, 2018, 6:18 pm
Schifty wrote:It was more fun supporting this club in 2005.
The end of 2005 where we were picking people out of the crowd cause we were that busted
But boy did those people from the crowd have a real dig!
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Actually the 2005 squad ended up with 9 wins, which could end up being the same or more than this squad ends up with..

2005 squad.

Adamson
Ale
Alley-Tovio
Campese
Carney
Chalk
Croker
Cross
Frawley
Gafa
Goodwin
Graham
Hindmarsh
Hodgson
D Howell
M Howell
Kahler
Martin
Miller
Mogg
O'Hara
Robertson
Rothery
Schifcofske
J Smith
N Smith
T Smith
Thompson
Tongue
Weyman
Withers
Woolford
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

You could make an ok starting side out of that:

Schifcofske
Robertson
Mogg
Graham
Frawley
J Smith
Carney
O'Hara/Cross
Woolford
Weyman
Croker
Adamson
Tongue
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

afgtnk wrote:You could make an ok starting side out of that:

Schifcofske
Robertson
Mogg
Graham
Frawley
J Smith
Carney
O'Hara/Cross
Woolford
Weyman
Croker
Adamson
Tongue
6-3 to start the season after 10 rounds would take that every day
kris-ko
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Papasaurus

Post by kris-ko »

kris-ko wrote: July 28, 2018, 4:59 pm If anyone out there is listening: Achtung, baby. There is a general malaise around the fanbase at the moment, which manifests itself on Twitter and in Game Day threads around 65 minutes into each game when we're bracing for the inevitable implosion no matter how far ahead we are on the scoreboard.
I hate being right about this, and that it doesn’t even hurt anymore.

Something needs to change.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: August 5, 2018, 6:28 pm You could make an ok starting side out of that:

Schifcofske
Robertson
Mogg
Graham
Frawley
J Smith
Carney
O'Hara/Cross
Woolford
Weyman
Croker
Adamson
Tongue
That's not the worst team by any means
Schif was a champ, Robertson proved to be an excellent player once he got his hammy's sorted at Manly, Mogg was a super under-rated player, Graham is one of those guys who'd have been great in better sides... Frawley is a problem haha

The halves would be VERY good, and the pack looks not quite but sort of the way you'd probably want a pack to kind of look today! :lol:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Pigman wrote: August 5, 2018, 6:43 pm
afgtnk wrote: August 5, 2018, 6:28 pm You could make an ok starting side out of that:

Schifcofske
Robertson
Mogg
Graham
Frawley
J Smith
Carney
O'Hara/Cross
Woolford
Weyman
Croker
Adamson
Tongue
That's not the worst team by any means
Schif was a champ, Robertson proved to be an excellent player once he got his hammy's sorted at Manly, Mogg was a super under-rated player, Graham is one of those guys who'd have been great in better sides... Frawley is a problem haha

The halves would be VERY good, and the pack looks not quite but sort of the way you'd probably want a pack to kind of look today! :lol:
There wasn't much to pick from for the second wing spot :lol:

Current side has them well covered there
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

Not sure I can renew my membership if Ricky is coach next season.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Even the name Frawley still makes me sick to my stomach. We've had some **** bludgers play for this football team, but none of them outside of Frawley and the end of Bronson Harrison were so brazen in their pea hearted efforts
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

-TW- wrote: August 5, 2018, 6:32 pm
afgtnk wrote:You could make an ok starting side out of that:

Schifcofske
Robertson
Mogg
Graham
Frawley
J Smith
Carney
O'Hara/Cross
Woolford
Weyman
Croker
Adamson
Tongue
6-3 to start the season after 10 rounds would take that every day

We went 6-3 with Smith and Withers in out halves :lol:

We probably would have made the finals if not for a truckload of injuries and Woolford being suspended for the last 7 or 8 games of the season.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

To look back almost wistfully on a team with a half-dead Jason Smith and Matt Adamson running with no cartilage in his knees tells you all you need to know about our current situation.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Tbh I reckon even Smithy now at this age with a ciggy in his mouth after downing a few tinnies would still be better than our current halves.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

afgtnk wrote: August 5, 2018, 7:03 pm Tbh I reckon even Smithy now at this age with a ciggy in his mouth after downing a few tinnies would still be better than our current halves.
I'd be prepared to try anything at this stage.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: August 5, 2018, 7:03 pm Tbh I reckon even Smithy now at this age with a ciggy in his mouth after downing a few tinnies would still be better than our current halves.
I don't doubt that for a moment
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

He has moved on from tinnies, he would carve under his new regime.