I'm tired and I'm worn down

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

christoraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Re: I'm tired and I'm worn down

Post by christoraider »

I’ve been a season ticket holder for 20 years next year , spent thousands on merchandise ,deal with disappointment better than I used to but sitting here tonight watching us play Melbourne with group of friends who have been watching away games together for a decade I feel like not doing it anymore .
I don’t understand why we are continually a triangle of disappointment , nothing ever changes . My soul is dying watching this game , we have been terrible and I don’t see that changing , why can’t management see this . Same old same old .

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

kris-ko wrote: July 28, 2018, 4:59 pm I'm naive enough to think sending this thread to management might make a difference, but they're probably naive enough to think our feelings don't matter.

If anyone out there is listening: Achtung, baby. There is a general malaise around the fanbase at the moment, which manifests itself on Twitter and in Game Day threads around 65 minutes into each game when we're bracing for the inevitable implosion no matter how far ahead we are on the scoreboard.

It's unhealthy. It's not fun. And by the time last week's debacle at Shark Park rolled around, my senses were so dulled I did little more than take a quick look at Jesse Ramien's SuperCoach score before moving on with my day.

I do a pretty good job of switching off between games (hence the pitiful post count in my 10 years of active service on the GH), but I'll never be able to invest any less in something that's been part of my life since 1987. Been living in Delhi for three seasons now so the Raiders are my weekly dose of home, and my Indian wife has now been indoctrinated so it'd be cruel to leave her bleeding green on her own.

Still, it's slightly depressing that we're more an ongoing joke than a premiership threat. Opposition fans don't hate us and they certainly don't fear us. We're neither here nor there, like filler tracks at the end of a Katy Perry album. We're the sad, routine Green Machine.
The club doesn't give a **** mate. Shut up and hand over your season ticket cash.
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

We need to accept that we care a lot more about success than anyone employed by the Raiders does. The simple fact that they refuse to get a psychologist in when so many of the teams issues are mental is demonstration of that!
MS_1302
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mitch Cornish

Post by MS_1302 »

Lol raiders, lol

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Deep down I think we all know what the issue is, and has been for a long time - that is the who the club is governed and run by. It's not the coach, and it's not the players.

So let's acknowledge something that people on here probably won't like hearing or saying much: we as a fan base are pissweak. It's been two decades of mediocrity and all we do is sit there like a bunch of lifeless mutes, twiddling our thumbs.

If a club refuses to change itself, the fans need to mobilise and hold the club to account. Go look at what fan bases of other clubs do. Go a step further a go look at fans in Europe or America. We do nothing.

The vast majority of us (including me) are nothing but a bunch whining cats who don't give a **** enough about the club, because if we truly did, we'd take proper action to instigate change.

I'm not connected or competent enough at this point in my life to lead and engage a supporter base. I am capable to assist though and will 100% back anyone who is competent enough to stand up and make our voice heard.
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

Hi all.

Let’s hug it out.

In Ricky We Trust
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

afgtnk wrote: July 28, 2018, 9:25 pm Deep down I think we all know what the issue is, and has been for a long time - that is the who the club is governed and run by. It's not the coach, and it's not the players.

So let's acknowledge something that people on here probably won't like hearing or saying much: we as a fan base are pissweak. It's been two decades of mediocrity and all we do is sit there like a bunch of lifeless mutes, twiddling our thumbs.

If a club refuses to change itself, the fans need to mobilise and hold the club to account. Go look at what fan bases of other clubs do. Go a step further a go look at fans in Europe or America. We do nothing.

The vast majority of us (including me) are nothing but a bunch whining cats who don't give a **** enough about the club, because if we truly did, we'd take proper action to instigate change.

I'm not connected or competent enough at this point in my life to lead and engage a supporter base. I am capable to assist though and will 100% back anyone who is competent enough to stand up and make our voice heard.
I'm on board and open to suggestions.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Hey Brew,

Tell us all about how good a guy Ricky is. I need something to make me smile. Ricky stories make me smile.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

In terms of replacing the blokes I'm charge we aren't set up that way and the clubs where the fans can are usually an even hotter mess than us. Maybe getting the media interested would be easier.
Last edited by edwahu on July 28, 2018, 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What's happened in 2017 and 2018 has shamed the green jersey. Something has to change. We need ANOTHER independent review of the club's operations.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

You're probably the most knowledgeable fan on here re the Raiders setup - outside of another pointless review, is there another way to effect change? Some weakness in the structure a thousand angry fans can exploit?
Last edited by Leebola on July 28, 2018, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Velda
Ken Nagas

Post by Velda »

We could protest by not doing the clap at the next home game 😛
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Leebola wrote: July 28, 2018, 9:31 pm
afgtnk wrote: July 28, 2018, 9:25 pm Deep down I think we all know what the issue is, and has been for a long time - that is the who the club is governed and run by. It's not the coach, and it's not the players.

Ok - will one of the top wordsmiths on here please draft up a standard email outlining the governance and management issues we've had for the length of time we've had them for, and what we as supporters want?

I will happily provide input if needed and I'm sure others will too.

I want the club and the local media to be bombarded with the message from us - not much, but it's a start.

Who's got ideas?
Last edited by afgtnk on July 28, 2018, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

afgtnk wrote: July 28, 2018, 9:39 pm
Leebola wrote: July 28, 2018, 9:31 pm

Ok - will one of the top wordsmiths on here please draft up a standard email outlining the governance and management issues we've had for the length of time we've had them for, at what we as supporters want?

I will happily provide input if needed and I'm sure others will too.

I want the club and the local media to be bombarded with the message from us - not much, but it's a start.

Who's got ideas?
The club gets far too an easy run from the Canberra Times - perhaps we start with Polky, Eamonn Tiernan, etc.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Leebola wrote: July 28, 2018, 9:38 pm
You're probably the most knowledgeable fan on here re the Raiders setup - outside of another pointless review, is there another way to effect change? Some weakness in the structure a thousand angry fans can exploit?
The ultimate controlling entity of the Canberra Raiders is the Queanbeyan Blues football club... and the only way you are a member of that club is by invitation. They control the Queanbeyan Leagues Club, which controls the Raiders Group of clubs. The Canberra Raiders football club is a subsidiary of the Raiders Group of clubs. They appoint the board of the Raiders football club. The QLC board is subject to vote from their members. So that is the only point of democracy in the set up.
Velda
Ken Nagas

Post by Velda »

The Canberra media can’t/won’t question anything and the journos with any influence outside of Canberra are either BFFs with Ricky (Paul Kent) or couldn’t care less about the Raiders and “won’t waste their time” reporting on the mess our back office is!
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Velda wrote:We could protest by not doing the clap at the next home game Image
It's embarrassing that's still done at every game.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Velda wrote:We could protest by not doing the clap at the next home game Image
Stay seated for it
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Velda wrote: July 28, 2018, 9:38 pm We could protest by not doing the clap at the next home game 😛
The Panthers was my last game. Won't be going to anymore.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There is no doubt now that something must change. There needs to be a major review of everything at the club, top to bottom and the board needs a shakeup too... we need some big hitters in the corporate world.
Velda
Ken Nagas

Post by Velda »

By who though? And who would appoint them, the club won’t endorse anyone to review them that they think will question their position, the players don’t seem like the bunch to rock the boat like Campo and Shilo did before Furner was sacked.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: July 28, 2018, 9:41 pm
The ultimate controlling entity of the Canberra Raiders is the Queanbeyan Blues football club... and the only way you are a member of that club is by invitation. They control the Queanbeyan Leagues Club, which controls the Raiders Group of clubs. The Canberra Raiders football club is a subsidiary of the Raiders Group of clubs. They appoint the board of the Raiders football club. The QLC board is subject to vote from their members. So that is the only point of democracy in the set up.
It is impregnable to democracy... and that means the club is impregnable to any form of accountability.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

From memory the last review into the club wasn't even released to the public (we're just not that important...).

Here's a list of the board of directors: www.raiders.com.au/about/board-of-directors

Might be worth digging up some email addresses and asking some questions.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

greeneyed wrote: July 28, 2018, 10:35 pm
It is impregnable to democracy... and that means the club is impregnable to any form of accountability.
Nothing is truly impregnable to democracy in a country like this. I'm happy to play my part in agitating for change (kicked it off with an email to the CT tonight), but it needs its leaders and I'm not really cut out for it...
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

Captain Punish wrote:Hey Brew,

Tell us all about how good a guy Ricky is. I need something to make me smile. Ricky stories make me smile.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Not in the mood tonight for Ricky stories.

In Ricky We Trust
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Leebola wrote: July 28, 2018, 10:40 pm
It is impregnable to democracy... and that means the club is impregnable to any form of accountability. What has happened in the past two seasons is inexcusable.
Nothing is truly impregnable to democracy in a country like this. I'm happy to play my part in agitating for change (kicked it off with an email to the CT tonight), but it needs its leaders and I'm not really cut out for it...
Might need one or two #RickyOUT banners at the next home game
Up The Milk
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 28, 2018, 10:43 pm
Leebola wrote: July 28, 2018, 10:40 pm

It is impregnable to democracy... and that means the club is impregnable to any form of accountability. What has happened in the past two seasons is inexcusable.
Might need one or two #RickyOUT banners at the next home game
Aiming too low, Mick. This fish is rotting from its very head.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Only way things would change would be if the NRL revoked their right to run the club like with what happened to Tinklers, and we will never reach that stage of being a financial EDIT.

Or someone with Millions and Millions of dollars could try buy the club off QLC
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I've just had bacon and eggs.

Now my wife, son and myself are going for a drive. Where we end up I'm not sure..

Central Coast, Singleton(Hunter Valley), Port Stephens..I don't know..

Cya's all later...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I hold my head high afgtnk. I see your whinging bunch of cats and raise you Woodgers on the back page of the CT in 2005 asking the club to remove Matt Elliott.

And look at us now Chopper, we're flying :lol:

I nominate Pigman to come on and change the game here. Impact player off the bench who has been nursed through the junior grades by Nickman and has buzz words like accountability up the yin yang.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I blame Bays butcher for this whole mess.
This place is woke.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Nothing will change. Ricky Stuart will be coach next season come hell or high water.

I'm just hoping the departure of Boyd, Paulo and Austin (and hopefully Leilua some time soon) will usher in a fresh change in attitude across the team. I also hope these two new Poms are decent acquisitions.

I reckon I've watched 2, maybe 3 whole games this season. I've attended one game live and listened to a parts of some games on radio. For a season ticket holder who dearly loves this club, that's pretty telling.

The writing was on the wall for the entire season after we lost that Gold Coast game in round 1. You could see it coming a mile away.

The coach won't change, so he somehow needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat and make some drastic changes this offseason, or else this team will implode.

This is still a very good squad with some fantastic talent. Hodgson, Whitehead, Papa, Tapine, Croker, Rapa and Cotric are all top shelf. Wighton could be excellent if he treated his job professionally. The rest of them are just playing like busteds much of the time.
green eyebrow
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Tom Starling Elliot Whitehead

Post by green eyebrow »

Well, gentleman. I drive down from Sydney. Admittedly, I say admittedly, I've driven down
only a few times this year bcs, we keep losing.

But I still pay up every year for 3 g'stand tickets.

Next year it will be same as this year...a dead lose. The other teams have worked us out.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Woodgers wrote: July 29, 2018, 8:21 am
I nominate Pigman to come on and change the game here. Impact player off the bench who has been nursed through the junior grades by Nickman and has buzz words like accountability up the yin yang.
I am built more for impact these days but we'd need a quick 5-10 and get me off the park
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

Pigman wrote:
Woodgers wrote: July 29, 2018, 8:21 am
I am built more for impact these days but we'd need a quick 5-10 and get me off the park
You would fit the Ricky Stuart bench rotation then!

In Ricky We Trust