Storm 13+
71%

Total votes: 7

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2018 Rd 20 V Storm: Game Day

Post by Botman »

I struggle to think of a single one of those 12 penalties that was totally and completely warranted.
The tackle on Beej early and i think maybe 1-2 others i recall which i thought he could have got a penalty and didnt...

At best 12-7... At best... AT best.

Gerg nailed it without trying, the storm do push the limits, we shove the limits off the **** side of bridge and claim we're being treated unfairly.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The count was 14-4.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Had that ended 14-7, I think that's probably a pretty fair reflection of the two sides level of discipline
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No point arguing with it. They have the whistles. They're in charge. Nothing we can do changes what they do... at least not in a positive direction.

We're very slow learners.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

In slippery wet conditions we couldn't play the ball correctly..

It's simple stuff, we can't do this...

This is why we can't have nice things..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: July 28, 2018, 10:51 pm Abbey should not play first grade again in green, Red. He will not be a regular first grade player. He cannot handle the pressure.
I agree he is no Cotric GE but very few are. He was another who copped a positional change. So we have a rookie to the NRL in a team not playing well, in a side that has been shuffled, playing out of position and inside him is a center third player playing center (I may be corrected but I think for the first time this year) against the reigning premiers who are currently first in this years competition and have won the past 6 in a row (or something like that). I think we can cut him a little slack in those circumstances. He needs a good off season and to build up a bit to withstand the rigours of FG. When Cotric came into FG on the wing he played beside a 200 gamer in the center position.

Just on Cotric. How tough is he? He was absolutely smashed a couple of times but still got up to do his job. In a side without much possession he was safe under the high ball and pretty good defensively. Not a lot of opportunity in attack. I'd love to see him in that ruck play we do where Hodgo goes one side and then passes back across the ruck to a Raider player running an angle behind the ruck. With his pace and size I think he could cause some havoc to a slow moving marker.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

We had 5 NRL players out and got beat by the best team in the comp.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Its not that we got beat, it's that we never gave ourselves a chance, because of unforced errors, ill disciplined play and dreadful defence.
Things have have plagued this club for 5 years, if not 20.

They are the bench mark, that's the standard we need to met to win a premiertship, and we didnt even look like we belonged on the park with them. We're as far off the pace right now as any in recent history imo. And what's worse is there appears to be now plan to give us hope we had a way out.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Line speed, discipline, cohesion in attack and defence. It was men against boys.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Lucky Bill Harrigan wasn't reffing last night, we would have had 10 left on the park
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Pigman wrote:Had that ended 14-7, I think that's probably a pretty fair reflection of the two sides level of discipline
There were two mandatory penalties that we didn't get. Williams being coat hanger late and off the ball and BJ tackled off the ball.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Good interview with Bill Harrigan on Matty Johns. Admitted that the worst decision he ever made was when Benny Elias attempted a field goal in the 1989 Grand Final, hit the crossbar... went back to an offside Balmain player... and he failed to call off side.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:Good interview with Bill Harrigan on Matty Johns. Admitted that the worst decision he ever made was when Benny Elias attempted a field goal in the 1989 Grand Final, hit the crossbar... went back to an offside Balmain player... and he failed to call off side.
Gary Freeman was a mile offside

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Look we were completely outplayed and to compound it we never gave ourselves a chance with a terrible completion rate and poor defence.

You can tell the players are really frustrated. It has already been a long season for them (probably that massive offseason they had) and they are searching for the finish line already. All those close losses take their toll and then they had that emotion of almost getting back towards finals contention with the last ditch Dogs win only for it to be snatched away again when we should have won against the Broncos. Then last week we had the glimmer of hope and did enough to beat Cronulla for it to be taken away, I can see how it would have taken its toll on the group. These last few weeks could be an utter capitulation through attitude and injuries.

Just on the penalties, I pretty much agree with you Pigman, they were mostly all justified. I mean, what's the deal with Bateman, Whitehead and Lui in particular giving away those ridiculous holding down penalties where we literally lie there for 6 seconds looking at the ref like some competition to see how long we can get away with it? The first 2 that Bateman gave away last night were unforgivable, the ref had no choice but to blow the penalty each time as he had a sleep there. I think the ones that really busted us were the BJ tackled without the ball because Storm got their first points off that off a forward basketball pass. You can look past that but not when you get called for the exact same thing later on, no wonder Rapana gave them a gobful. The coathanger on Sam Williams near the end was just obvious, it doesn't impact the score or the result but Tapine would sit out for 4 weeks for that type of thing and we didn't even get a penalty. The other doozy was the forearm on Hodgson which he rightly reacted to and they get the penalty. Again, these don't impact the result but they are just basic basic things that local league refs should be able to identify and control. I thought the refereeing was pretty bad in that game last night - not that it impacted the score much but they were all over the shop again. The game is in a right state in this regard. In fairness they were pretty good in the Manly/Penrith game and for the most part in the Souths/Dogs one besides a clanger where Hopoate kicked the ball into touch and they gave a 20 metre tap. They were also pretty good in the Roosters/Saints one. I thought they definitely gave the BRoncos the rub of it over Cronulla and influenced that game a fair bit. I think the key in those games that I watched where I said the refs were pretty good is that they tried to remain as anonymous as possible.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

On topic, do we have any updates on Oldfield yet? What was it? Is it definitely the season?

I mean, we're not playing good footy, but damn are we cursed right now.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Woodgers wrote: July 29, 2018, 7:11 pm Look we were completely outplayed and to compound it we never gave ourselves a chance with a terrible completion rate and poor defence.

You can tell the players are really frustrated. It has already been a long season for them (probably that massive offseason they had) and they are searching for the finish line already. All those close losses take their toll and then they had that emotion of almost getting back towards finals contention with the last ditch Dogs win only for it to be snatched away again when we should have won against the Broncos. Then last week we had the glimmer of hope and did enough to beat Cronulla for it to be taken away, I can see how it would have taken its toll on the group. These last few weeks could be an utter capitulation through attitude and injuries.

Just on the penalties, I pretty much agree with you Pigman, they were mostly all justified. I mean, what's the deal with Bateman, Whitehead and Lui in particular giving away those ridiculous holding down penalties where we literally lie there for 6 seconds looking at the ref like some competition to see how long we can get away with it? The first 2 that Bateman gave away last night were unforgivable, the ref had no choice but to blow the penalty each time as he had a sleep there. I think the ones that really busted us were the BJ tackled without the ball because Storm got their first points off that off a forward basketball pass. You can look past that but not when you get called for the exact same thing later on, no wonder Rapana gave them a gobful. The coathanger on Sam Williams near the end was just obvious, it doesn't impact the score or the result but Tapine would sit out for 4 weeks for that type of thing and we didn't even get a penalty. The other doozy was the forearm on Hodgson which he rightly reacted to and they get the penalty. Again, these don't impact the result but they are just basic basic things that local league refs should be able to identify and control. I thought the refereeing was pretty bad in that game last night - not that it impacted the score much but they were all over the shop again. The game is in a right state in this regard. In fairness they were pretty good in the Manly/Penrith game and for the most part in the Souths/Dogs one besides a clanger where Hopoate kicked the ball into touch and they gave a 20 metre tap. They were also pretty good in the Roosters/Saints one. I thought they definitely gave the BRoncos the rub of it over Cronulla and influenced that game a fair bit. I think the key in those games that I watched where I said the refs were pretty good is that they tried to remain as anonymous as possible.
Those Luke Bateman penalties... honestly... they were awful. I don't believe he'd be in a top 17 anywhere else. He certainly shouldn't be a starting prop, even with an injury crisis.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

raiderskater wrote: July 29, 2018, 7:11 pm On topic, do we have any updates on Oldfield yet? What was it? Is it definitely the season?

Yes, the coach said out for the season. It was the serious knee injury he suffered in the Sharks game.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

The frustrating this was - even with all of the injuries, you don't shoot yourselves in the foot the way we did. I am sure we would have all been happy with a gutsy low scoring loss given the circumstances. Luke Bateman - seems like a lovely guy, but those two penalties in his first stint and his effort on Munster for his try were not even NSW Cup standard. What is incredible to me is that he has apparently "backed himself" to earn more on his next contract, only signing for a year (!).

When you are down on troops, you simplify the game as much as possible, focus on the completions and just work your way into the contest. We never gave ourselves a chance. I have said it a number of times, but our players are low in football IQ and hotheaded. Rapana, Leilua, Wighton (when he plays), Tapine, Lui, Austin, Bateman - even Whitehead - they are all good for at least one stupid penalty/mistake a game. At least some of those players have upside - others, like Bateman, would struggle to make the top 17 at any other club, yet start for us.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote:
raiderskater wrote: July 29, 2018, 7:11 pm On topic, do we have any updates on Oldfield yet? What was it? Is it definitely the season?

Yes, the coach said out for the season. It was the serious knee injury he suffered in the Sharks game.
Most raiders fans i know knew he was out for the season monday , not sure why people were surprised on here last night,!

Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Barely anyone was surprised
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The only surprise was he was named on Tuesday. The vast bulk of people knew he had a serious knee injury after seeing the Sharks game. Hardly anyone was surprised he didn't play.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Not that I am blaming the Refs for the match outcome last night, but when Billy Slater and Cameron Smith are sitting on the sideline and laugh when the Raiders finally get a penalty it says much about how the decisions had gone all night.

I think Bellamy was smart to take his star play makers off when he did. He may have remembered the loss of Sticky in 1993 who was left on too long after we were slaughtering Parra. Around the 65th minute just after that sensational Scott try Slater came off with the score 42-10. Then around the 70th minute Hodgo reacts to being hit in the throat by an elbow by the ball carrier and he reacts by finishing off the player on the ground. Storm get the penalty and Smith gets the goal only to walk off and join his mate on the bench with the score at 44-10. Just after this the Raiders put up a bomb and Sam Williams is taken out, no penalty to the Raiders as the Storm have the ball and guess what. Another penalty to the Storm for the Raiders inside the 10,

Storm played up and in defensive style to stop the ball getting to the flanks. They did it well. Not one of the rushing defenders was deemed to have got an early start.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

RedRaider wrote:Storm played up and in defensive style to stop the ball getting to the flanks. They did it well. Not one of the rushing defenders was deemed to have got an early start.
I remember one really good defensive set from the Raiders with the same energy. Penalised for offside on the third tackle I think...
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

dubby wrote: July 29, 2018, 7:10 pm
greeneyed wrote:Good interview with Bill Harrigan on Matty Johns. Admitted that the worst decision he ever made was when Benny Elias attempted a field goal in the 1989 Grand Final, hit the crossbar... went back to an offside Balmain player... and he failed to call off side.
Gary Freeman was a mile offside

What would have happened if he called it?

Butterfly effect?
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Nothing will change or improve until the Club hires a top shelf coach or even better a new CEO.
I think Furner must go as well.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

cat wrote: July 29, 2018, 7:27 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Most raiders fans i know knew he was out for the season monday , not sure why people were surprised on here last night,!

I was worried about his knee after the Sharks game, but when the next week rolled around and he didn't appear on the injury list, was named in the team on Tuesday etc, I assumed he must have just twisted it or something and would be fine. I think people didn't realise because he was still named in the starting side until an hour before the game!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

If Sticky knew Oldfield was crook after the Sharks' game it's one thing to name him in the side on Tuesday as some kind of lame smokescreen but why travel to Mel w/o a backup back? Playing Sia, a prop, in the centres was always going to be disastrous. To compound the chaos, Sticky then switches BJ and Rapana from right to left! I've lost complete interest until we see the back of Sticky.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

raiderskater wrote: July 30, 2018, 8:18 am
cat wrote: July 29, 2018, 7:27 pm
greeneyed wrote:

I was worried about his knee after the Sharks game, but when the next week rolled around and he didn't appear on the injury list, was named in the team on Tuesday etc, I assumed he must have just twisted it or something and would be fine. I think people didn't realise because he was still named in the starting side until an hour before the game!
So, with all that advanced inside knowledge, why did Ricky name the ridiculous side that he did?

Surely he could have taken a chance on an actual centre from Mounties instead of putting a forward together with a bloke who normally plays fullback. Swapping BJ and Rapana to the left side was also an odd decision.

I found the answer not long after my initial post at: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zu8z.html

The worst part of that article is that it doesn't seem to give us much hope in attracting any quality players for next season. I'll still renew my membership, but Jeez, it's becoming more out of loyalty than optimism.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

No-one proofread that article. The incorrect "they're" just about killed me worse than the admission it was a ****ing smokescreen.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

green eyebrow
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Tom Starling Elliot Whitehead

Post by green eyebrow »

We have some terrific players...but unfortunately it's not working for us.
Discipline/errors..etc
These players mentioned above and I've named them myself on previous posts,
will probably play well somewhere else but they r not playing well for us.

I didn't want to say this but, I think we need a clean out