Storm 13+
50%

Total votes: 12

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: 2018 Rd 20 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by RedRaider »

This weeks wish list:
1. Can we have a defensive line that uses the shoulder and not arm grabs and gets forward quickly to meet the opposition.
2. Can our defenders lock up the football in tackles.
3. Can we stop our players flapping their arms around like seagulls after a hot chip during nearly every set.
4. Can we have a ref who knows the rules and anyone but Luke Patten in the Bunker for us again this week.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Team list Tuesday: the first day of the week that the disappointment begins

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Im already bracing myself for Ricky not to make any changes besides Forced ones due to injury and Tapine coming back
Perth Based Raiders Fan
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

With Tapine and maybe Boyd back, assuming Oldfield is also injured:

1. Nick Cotric
2. Brad Abbey
3. Elliot Whitehead
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Sam Williams
8. Shannon Boyd
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Josh Papalii
11. Joseph Tapine
12. Sia Soliola
13. Luke Bateman

14. Siliva Havili
15. Jack Murchie
16. Dunamis Lui
17. Liam Knight
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

zim wrote:With Tapine and maybe Boyd back, assuming Oldfield is also injured:

1. Nick Cotric
2. Brad Abbey
3. Elliot Whitehead
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Sam Williams
8. Shannon Boyd
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Josh Papalii
11. Joseph Tapine
12. Sia Soliola
13. Luke Bateman

14. Siliva Havili
15. Jack Murchie
16. Dunamis Lui
17. Liam Knight
this, unless sezer is back then Murchie out and Austin to centre.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Coastalraider wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:28 pm Both Sammy and Hodgo had a bit of a limp post game, so I really hope they pull up ok today.
If you transpose the words "limp" and "pull" in this post it takes on a whole new context.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

PerthRaider86 wrote: July 24, 2018, 12:37 pm Im already bracing myself for Ricky not to make any changes besides Forced ones due to injury and Tapine coming back
Seems you braced yourself for no reason.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

3. Nick Cotric...nice.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson

Post by PerthRaider86 »

zim wrote: July 24, 2018, 4:02 pm
PerthRaider86 wrote: July 24, 2018, 12:37 pm Im already bracing myself for Ricky not to make any changes besides Forced ones due to injury and Tapine coming back
Dont see any youth guys being bough up to get a shot as we cant make the finals now. Cotric to Centre, oldfield to wing is a good move....

But no real surprises in that team
Perth Based Raiders Fan
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

1. Brad Abbey .... that'll do me.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I honestly cannot believe that we even tried Cotric outside Oldfield last week but here we are.

What's with the Abbey hate? He's been OK so far save for a few dropped bombs but the ones last week would've troubled every fullback in the game with that gale blowing.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

PerthRaider86 wrote: July 24, 2018, 4:18 pm
Dont see any youth guys being bough up to get a shot as we cant make the finals now. Cotric to Centre, oldfield to wing is a good move....

I don't think any change stick makes could surprise you.
edwahu

Re: 2018 Rd 20 V Storm: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by edwahu »

I think we were out of options with Abbey. I know people suggested the Wing but he isn't a winger and it's a pretty crucial role for us.

Hopefully one of the extended bench get a run. I don't see the need to persist with Knight playing 15 minutes, they may as well trial some others in that role.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Woodgers wrote: July 24, 2018, 4:24 pm I honestly cannot believe that we even tried Cotric outside Oldfield last week but here we are.

What's with the Abbey hate? He's been OK so far save for a few dropped bombs but the ones last week would've troubled every fullback in the game with that gale blowing.
Watching just the defense Cotric brings compared to Abbey is enough to want him shifted. It saves tries. But as Edward has pointed out Abbey probably needs to be there due to lack of options.

Personally I wouldn't have an issue with switching them to try it out. Fullback is a more important position than winger. They are involved in the play so many more times. Better to get the guy that is the far better player in that spot.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Five Things: Raiders v Storm: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/07 ... s-v-storm/

Behind the scenes: Inside the Raider's inner sanctum: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/07 ... r-sanctum/
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I agree with that Zim, Cotric definitely the better defender for sure and he was critical in that Cowboys win a fortnight ago. The thing for me is that despite the club not recognising it, we're basically playing for 2019 now so I think we need to establish if Abbey is in our plans moving forward. If he can only play fullback then that is a fair negative but I'm still of the mind that the best thing we can do in the offseason is move Jack to 6 so really we need to work out the 1 more than anything else in the remaining rounds.

I say all this with complete lack of faith that the coach will even consider moving Jack though so it's probably a complete waste of energy trying to 2nd guess what the coach might do in the remaining rounds besides try get as many points as possible to make it look good at the finish line.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I can’t understand persisting with Abbey at fullback when you have Rapana and Cotric available.

We need strength in the spine if we’re going to beat Melbourne and Abbey is a reserve grader.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders young gun Nick Cotric moves to centre to face Melbourne Storm

He's established himself as one of the best wingers in the NRL, moved seamlessly to fullback and now Canberra Raiders young gun Nick Cotric will get his chance at centre.

"It was always going to be one or two weeks [that Sezer was out for] ... I enjoyed [playing in the halves against the Sharks]," Blake Austin said. "Sammy was pretty confident [goal kicking], I was pretty confident too, but one less thing to focus on for me. It was just good to be back in the halves and Sam kicked really well.

Raiders: 1. Brad Abbey, 2. Michael Oldfield, 3. Nick Cotric, 4. Joey Leilua, 5. Jordan Rapana, 6. Blake Austin, 7. Sam Williams, 8. Dunamis Lui, 9. Josh Hodgson (c), 10. Junior Paulo, 11. Joe Tapine, 12. Elliott Whitehead, 13. Josh Papalii. Interchange from: 14. Liam Knight, 15. Luke Bateman, 16. Siliva Havili, 17. Sia Soliola, 18. Jack Murchie, 19. Makahesi Makatoa, 20. Royce Hunt, 21. Emre Guler.

Storm: 1. Billy Slater, 2. Suliasi Vunivalu, 3. William Chambers, 4. Curtis Scott, 5. Josh Addo-Carr, 6. Cameron Munster, 7. Jahrome Hughes, 8. Jesse Bromwich, 9. Cameron Smith (c), 10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona, 11. Felise Kaufusi, 12. Ryan Hoffman, 13. Dale Finucane. Interchange from: 14. Kenny Bromwich, 15. Tim Glasby, 16. Christian Welch, 17. Joe Stimson, 18. Tui Kamikamica, 19. Brodie Croft, 20. Cheyse Blair, 21. Albert Vete.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zt86.html
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson

Post by PerthRaider86 »

zim wrote: July 24, 2018, 4:29 pm
PerthRaider86 wrote: July 24, 2018, 4:18 pm

I don't think any change stick makes could surprise you.
If we had Murchie, Guler in the starting 17 i would be surprised....
Perth Based Raiders Fan
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL dump match officials after Raiders-Sharks debacle

NRL referee Gerard Sutton has escaped the axe for his part in the double bungles that cost the Canberra Raiders the win against Cronulla at Shark Park on Friday. Assistant referee Gavin Reynolds and touch judge Rickey MacFarlane weren't spared and have been dumped to the NSW Cup for this weekend's games. Video referee Luke Patten has been demoted to a Bunker assistant.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zt86.html

NRL demotes officials over botched Katoa try ruling: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/24/nrl ... ry-ruling/

'Are you kidding?': Ref from NRL debacle spared the axe, plus Ricky Stuart speaks: https://au.sports.yahoo.com/kidding-ref ... 20691.html

Raiders players not blaming NRL referees: https://www.sportsnews.com.au/nrl/raide ... ees/443952
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Woodgers wrote: July 24, 2018, 4:45 pm I agree with that Zim, Cotric definitely the better defender for sure and he was critical in that Cowboys win a fortnight ago. The thing for me is that despite the club not recognising it, we're basically playing for 2019 now so I think we need to establish if Abbey is in our plans moving forward. If he can only play fullback then that is a fair negative but I'm still of the mind that the best thing we can do in the offseason is move Jack to 6 so really we need to work out the 1 more than anything else in the remaining rounds.

I say all this with complete lack of faith that the coach will even consider moving Jack though so it's probably a complete waste of energy trying to 2nd guess what the coach might do in the remaining rounds besides try get as many points as possible to make it look good at the finish line.
At the moment it looks like we're headed towards Williams as first choice 6 with Hingano in reserves ( :( ) and O'Hagan to develop. I'd say it's extremely unlikely that Ricky moves Wighton to start the season, however he was the coach that tried him out at 5/8 in the first place. It might move that way if Williams starts the season (or finishes this season) poorly. He did try Papalii out in the middle before stating "2nd row is his best spot", and now we're here with Papalii at lock.

It would be great to see guys like Guler get some game time before the season is out. Tough ask to to start them with Melbourne in Melbourne. We all know the season is over but at what point as a coach do you pack it in and choose only the players that will be here next year? Are there any NRL coaches that actually do that?
Not sure what everyone else's thoughts are but to me it seems Paulo is just coasting. Drop him and have Guler get a few weeks then Murchie get a few weeks.
Last edited by zim on July 24, 2018, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

bunker assistant..

In the background giving support to the main man while he's making incorrect decisions.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
green eyebrow
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Tom Starling Elliot Whitehead

Post by green eyebrow »

Well gentleman, what's Ricky got up his sleeve against the Storm.

Maybe we'll take Cam out (Burgess/Farah), Munster has to be monstered. Punt the ball high, let's make Slater dizzy.

Headline today...5 things. I'll tell u what I think they r....
Lui, Whitehead, Rapana, leiliua....Discipline...rash decisions!!

I'm worried what Storm forwards will do to Lui. Last week 2 errors, I think it was early in the game.

I hope this not like that song goes...

"to Dream the impossible Dream...to Fight the unbeatable Foe"
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Cotric needs to play right centre with joey moving left.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Jack Murchie: "It was something really special to me"

Jack Murchie has been on the fringes of making his debut for a number of weeks now and he finally got his crack in the round 19 matchup against the Cronulla Sharks.

"I'd been 18th man a few times leading up to it so I knew I was pretty close," Murchie said. "It was definitely a real special moment for me when I was in there at the captain's run and Ricky announced it. It was awesome. It was definitely really quick and I was blowing a little bit there at stages but I certainly enjoyed it out there."

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/07 ... ial-to-me/
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: July 24, 2018, 4:36 pm
Woodgers wrote: July 24, 2018, 4:24 pm I honestly cannot believe that we even tried Cotric outside Oldfield last week but here we are.

Watching just the defense Cotric brings compared to Abbey is enough to want him shifted. It saves tries. But as Edward has pointed out Abbey probably needs to be there due to lack of options.

Personally I wouldn't have an issue with switching them to try it out. Fullback is a more important position than winger. They are involved in the play so many more times. Better to get the guy that is the far better player in that spot.
Agree on all counts. It's Abby's only spot (unless we try 5/8) and Cotric could be a centre one day, we'll see.

But Cotric is a better FB than Abbey already from what I've seen. And as you say FB is a crucial spine position.

I can live with Abby at FB since the season is shot as long as we stick with Cotric at centre for at least 3 games to see how he goes there from a half decent sample before mucking him around again.

If Stick then wants to see Cotric at FB the last few rounds after that I'm fine with that too.

Cotric is too good to spend 2019 on the wing again.

Does this also shoot the "Jack to 5/8, 2019" talk out of the water though? If that was the case surely Cotric would be at FB every chance we got?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

yeh raiders wrote: July 24, 2018, 4:59 pm I can’t understand persisting with Abbey at fullback when you have Rapana and Cotric available.

We need strength in the spine if we’re going to beat Melbourne and Abbey is a reserve grader.
Yes. We can find or blood a decent winger but your FB needs to be a menace the opposition and a physical presence in defence. Cotric and Rapana in their own ways easily fulfill both of those. Cotric seems a bit more solid and game-wise and Rapana is the literal personification of having a red hot go and is as athletic as anyone in the comp (that bouncing one legged bomb coach try!).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star hooker reveals he nearly signed with Sydney Roosters

Canberra Raiders star hooker Josh Hodgson has sensationally revealed that the turned down the Sydney Roosters before joining the Canberra Raiders in 2015.

“I nearly came over the year before with the Roosters, but it just wasn’t meant to be,” Hodgson told Sunday Night with Matty Johns. “They had Jake Friend who’s such a great player, he had a great game (against the Sea Eagles on Sunday). If I came to the Roosters I was going to play more NSW Cup than anything.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/n ... hk07v5s2as

TV refereeing is ruining rugby league – all in the pursuit of perfection: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... gby-league

100% Footy: Panthers CEO Phil Gould claims NRL referees 'hate the system' they're under: https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/07/23/21/ ... phil-gould
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

BadnMean wrote:

Agree on all counts. It's Abby's only spot (unless we try 5/8) and Cotric could be a centre one day, we'll see.

But Cotric is a better FB than Abbey already from what I've seen. And as you say FB is a crucial spine position.

I can live with Abby at FB since the season is shot as long as we stick with Cotric at centre for at least 3 games to see how he goes there from a half decent sample before mucking him around again.

If Stick then wants to see Cotric at FB the last few rounds after that I'm fine with that too.

Does this also shoot the "Jack to 5/8, 2019" talk out of the water though? If that was the case surely Cotric would be at FB every chance we got?
I wouldn't shoot anything out of the water until next year.
We haven't had the famed end of year review yet, or the 30min first grade trial.
Going through a preseason at fullback would be enough for Cotric to make a good fist of it.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

It's getting bumped up to 30min next year zim? Who's your source on that? Sounds like we'll be risking a lot of needless injuries :hmmm
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Archer wrote: July 24, 2018, 9:24 pm It's getting bumped up to 30min next year zim? Who's your source on that? Sounds like we'll be risking a lot of needless injuries :hmmm
Just a hunch mate. I think this time, it's personal.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BadnMean wrote: July 24, 2018, 6:55 pm
yeh raiders wrote: July 24, 2018, 4:59 pm I can’t understand persisting with Abbey at fullback when you have Rapana and Cotric available.

Yes. We can find or blood a decent winger but your FB needs to be a menace the opposition and a physical presence in defence. Cotric and Rapana in their own ways easily fulfill both of those. Cotric seems a bit more solid and game-wise and Rapana is the literal personification of having a red hot go and is as athletic as anyone in the comp (that bouncing one legged bomb coach try!).
We can't find or blood a winger, there is one left in the squad we can pick and he is playing Canberra Cup.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

zim wrote: July 24, 2018, 8:15 pm
BadnMean wrote:

I wouldn't shoot anything out of the water until next year.
We haven't had the famed end of year review yet, or the 30min first grade trial.
Going through a preseason at fullback would be enough for Cotric to make a good fist of it.
I agree Zim, we really rely on that 30 minute preseason game. That will give us the feedback we need to figure out who can play in which position. We should really have those positions locked down by round 4-5 I'd say, given previous experiences with hooker/halves.

I kid, I kid...
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Hahaha. Surely, surely we don't go with such a lax trial schedule in 2019.
3 games treated as proper outings would be the other end of the spectrum. Who knows... 2 games as proper outings with the 3rd mostly a reserve grade side.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

1 extended squad trial and 1 final 17 seems to be the most common approach.