All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Why I am proud to be a Raiders fan

Post by cat »

Here is my story guys,

I wasnt interested in Rugby League (or boys in general) until i was 15 then I fell madly in love with the boys in green. I live in Sydney but spent most weekends down Goulburn way so Raiders became my team.
My family are all Bulldog fans so it was a lonely choice at times but 1 i have never regretted.

I am also a bulldogs member as most of you would know as my brothers live away so i go with my mother. This means i watch a lot of live football games!

As someone who lives in Sydney and have some connections to a few clubs up here I have seen how players and clubs have changed over the last few years and not for the good. I can also see how the raiders are treated poorly and very differently by the NRL and in particular the refs and Mr Greenberg.

I have been to Bulldogs members events and Raiders members events, i have seen how the players interact with the fans at games and in general and trust me I am always super impressed and proud of our boys. They are the most dedicated, respectful and predicative of all our support players you will ever meet.
Honestly there are characters but none of the big headed to good for the fans players you get elsewhere.

After the games they always thank fans for coming and supporting them, not too many other clubs have that.

I teach in a tough school, working with students who have moderate to severe intellectual disabilities, some come from tough tough backgrounds and some can be aggressive. But its my job and i love it.
I also have a physical condition that means i have to have regular painful physio, take medication and complete a whole heap of exercises every day just to be able to work. But thats my life and i just except it (not looking for sympathy guys)

Raiders fill a hole for me, I have photos up in my classroom of the players, posters up and a victor on my desk. Parents come into my room all stressed and feel they "know me" and trust me because i am "real". They dont need to know about the rest of my private life , I am the Raiders fan, the teacher they feel they know and can talk to about anything.

I have been to every single game this season, last season i made all but 1 and i cant be bothered going back further for the stats for you on my attendance.

I go to games, yell, scream, cheer etc. I can forget about my life back home, its my stress release and it works for me. I dont go to the games to be seen as the "perfect fan", the club gives me more then i could ever give them. I go to support the players who are representing me , the fan, doing my bit from the sideline.

I watch every single player come through, seen them play juniors, seen them debut, seen them retire or leave.
I see the club putting all the effort in and fighting against the NRL and other road blocks they have that other clubs dont. I see them devastated after a lose and happy when they win. And i can honestly say they always do me proud.
They may not always have the best game but they always put in.

Noone on here knows exactly what goes on behind the scenes and none of us that i know of were ever good enough to play first grade or work as a CEO of a club or coach. So we cant really criticize too much IMO

The Raiders make calls that i may not understand but they are the experts, so i will never ever criticize them.

Those boys out there are tougher then i ever will be, the least i can do is support them the best i can.

Maybe I am not as "football smart" as some people on here, but if you are not supporting the team and just keep finding things to criticize and don't respect or acknowledge the obstacles they have to jump such as the refs do you really "bleed green" or are "green eyed"? Are you really doing your bit for the team if you arent there supporting them and helping them make a difference with the refs by agreeing we got robbed and letting greenberg know?

At the end of the day i am proud to wear my raiders gear, proud to go to every game and will do my part to get them over the line. When that grand final comes i know i can stand proudly and say i did my part and i stood with and by the team no matter what
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Why I am proud to be a Raiders fan

Post by greeneyed »

Thanks for having another stab at me cat. But my response is the same as in the other thread. I've been going to every game too... plus a lot more to boot. Sadly, at the moment I can't because of family illness. But thanks for giving me another kick at this time.

And when the Raiders next make the Grand Final, should that happen before I croak, I too will stand there proudly knowing I've done my absolute best to support the club, in the way I best know how... and have been doing so since 1982.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That’s a lovely story
Probably could have done without the how to be a fan lecture

The fans pay money, they support this club year in and year out. Most of us have been here long before any at the club started and will be here long after they’re gone.

You’re not a better or worse fan because you aren’t critical of the team. That’s just the way you choose to engage with this football club.

If this club ever manages to add to its trophy case, I’ll stand just as proudly as you and be no better or worse than you.

I’ll have done my time just like you. As a fan I’ll have as much right to enjoy that success as you, and I certainly won’t lose any sleep wondering if you approve of it

And fwiw I have my tiffs with GE like any other poster on this site, but no one has any right to question his commitment
Pull your head in, Cat
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Maybe I am not as "football smart" as some people on here, but if you are not supporting the team and just keep finding things to criticize and don't respect or acknowledge the obstacles they have to jump such as the refs do you really "bleed green" or are "green eyed"? Are you really doing your bit for the team if you arent there supporting them and helping them make a difference with the refs by agreeing we got robbed and letting greenberg know?
This just pisses me off no end

1. You're no better than anyone else cause you choose not be critical, I invest money in the club and I want a return.

2. Every week someone whinges that the refs are against us. Every **** week.

3. Your petulant petition is wasting everybody's time.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

TLDR
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: July 21, 2018, 5:22 pm Thanks for having another stab at me cat. But my response is the same as in the other thread. I've been going to every game too... plus a lot more to boot. Sadly, at the moment I can't because of family illness. But thanks for giving me another kick at this time.

And when the Raiders next make the Grand Final, should that happen before I croak, I too will stand there proudly knowing I've done my absolute best to support the club, in the way I best know how... and have been doing so since 1982.
wasn't a stab at you, but is there a reason you think it is?

As i said i am not special because i go to the games, I just don't think you need to keep putting the boot into the raiders, unless you work there or played first grade footy lately you really dont know what is going on.

people can sit here and criticize team selection (Ricky needs to pick garvey, ricky needs to drop so and so) and criticize cap management but you don't really know what goes on.

And to say the raiders just need to be better than those clubs getting the fifty/fifty calls, the broncos getting away with so much , roosters etc who all seem to have some incredible salary cap skills then you live in a dream world

We all support this club our own way but those of us who chose to do it in a positive way should not be put down and bullied the way we are on this site.

Why would the club work with us and want a positive relationship with this site if that is how they are treated?
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat wrote: July 21, 2018, 5:52 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 21, 2018, 5:22 pm Thanks for having another stab at me cat. But my response is the same as in the other thread. I've been going to every game too... plus a lot more to boot. Sadly, at the moment I can't because of family illness. But thanks for giving me another kick at this time.

wasn't a stab at you, but is there a reason you think it is?
Perhaps because you mention my user name?

If you want to keep attacking me and putting me down, feel free I guess.

BTW, this site is IMO very well moderated, it does a massive amount of promotion for the club. And the vast, vast bulk of users want to see the club performing well, successful and winning premierships. The site works very well with the club. To suggest people can't be critical, well that's not a forum. Because forums allow free speech and for people to have different views.

I will analyse and judge outcomes and results, and if I make critical comment, it is done in a responsible, moderate way, and in a well through through fashion. Thanks for reading.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

-TW- wrote: July 21, 2018, 5:47 pm

1. You're no better than anyone else cause you choose not be critical, I invest money in the club and I want a return.

its not an "investment" like putting money in the bank, you are paying a membership fee like going to the gym. If you dont put in the effort and go to the gym then if you dont get fit is it the gym's fault? If you don't contribute a bit more than dollars to the club you cant expect much. You are not their employer, you are a paying member like at a gym, sportsclub, rsl club etc.

I dont care if you sign the petition or not, really makes no difference to my life what so ever but do not belittle those that chose to do it.

And there is being critical and then there is being down right negative towards the club which too many people are at the moment.
Vaccinated
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Pigman wrote:That’s a lovely story
Probably could have done without the how to be a fan lecture

The fans pay money, they support this club year in and year out. Most of us have been here long before any at the club started and will be here long after they’re gone.

You’re not a better or worse fan because you aren’t critical of the team. That’s just the way you choose to engage with this football club.

If this club ever manages to add to its trophy case, I’ll stand just as proudly as you and be no better or worse than you.

I’ll have done my time just like you. As a fan I’ll have as much right to enjoy that success as you, and I certainly won’t lose any sleep wondering if you approve of it

And fwiw I have my tiffs with GE like any other poster on this site, but no one has any right to question his commitment
Pull your head in, Cat
Pig, that's unnecessary mate.

She's saying how she supports. That's all.

You do it your way etc.

Thanks for sharing cat.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Ok, i need to apologize to Nick. Too many people having a go at cat. She's the least malicious, arrogant and lofty supporter there is.

We're all different. But we love our raiders, which like family, sees us fighting.

We share these lows and highs together. People, we are not the enemy.

Unless you're Lucy. And we're all Lucy.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 21, 2018, 5:47 pm

its not an "investment" like putting money in the bank, you are paying a membership fee like going to the gym. If you dont put in the effort and go to the gym then if you dont get fit is it the gym's fault? If you don't contribute a bit more than dollars to the club you cant expect much. You are not their employer, you are a paying member like at a gym, sportsclub, rsl club etc.

I dont care if you sign the petition or not, really makes no difference to my life what so ever but do not belittle those that chose to do it.

And there is being critical and then there is being down right negative towards the club which too many people are at the moment.
None of which can survive without members? It's an investment in the clubs future, with the clubs success being the ultimate return
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

well actually the club can survive without members, the money they make from members is pretty much nothing in the scheme of things, we really are not that important or special

Most of the income comes from grants form the canberra rugby league group, the NRL and sponsors........

And i can tell you the club is doing a lot more for their members than a lot of clubs at the moment. The dogs are yet to have a members day. Raiders have had many many members events and public team signing sessions.

I am currently trying to get a bulldogs player to visit my students, it would have been easier and quicker to get joe bloe to wear a jersey and pretend. School visits are down in Sydney from all clubs yet Raiders get their players out there all the time.
Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

You are aware noone would sponsor the club if they had no members right?

It would be the worst business case of all time
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Cuz we rock !!!!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

-TW- wrote: July 21, 2018, 6:23 pm You are aware noone would sponsor the club if they had no members right?

It would be the worst business case of all time

yes they would, media coverage is more important than bums on sits

They get their brand splashed across the TV (even if it is just foxtel) multiple times a week through the different shows, nrl players using their products and advertising them on instagram ,

its not just "members" that follow the players and watch the games

We really are not that important!

The club owes you nothing being a member
Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

So why is it the fact we have 20k members such a big deal, front and centre of the marketing pamphet that goes out every year?

Why is it the club is pushing so hard for more members if it doesn't matter?

Answer me that?
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

-TW- wrote: July 21, 2018, 6:33 pm So why is it the fact we have 20k members such a big deal, front and centre of the marketing pamphet that goes out every year?

Answer me that?

because that's what the NRL want, and it's a way of counting fans. It looks good , but it means nothing in terms of the clubs finances and they don't need us let alone owe us anything.

we have 20k members??? really????

newsflash we dont! maybe check out how many of them the sponsors "bought", how many memberships each play was given- they are all counted!!!

if we have 20k members where are they??? we are averaging 11k per game!

My understanding is we would have roughly 10k real members who bother to go to games and have real memberships not memberships handed to sponsors, players , staff etc.

souths say they have 50k members, guess what thats not real either! None of the numbers are real, same with twitter followers, intagram followers, facebook followers etc
Vaccinated
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: July 21, 2018, 6:02 pm Ok, i need to apologize to Nick. Too many people having a go at cat. She's the least malicious, arrogant and lofty supporter there is.

We're all different. But we love our raiders, which like family, sees us fighting.

We share these lows and highs together. People, we are not the enemy.

Unless you're Lucy. And we're all Lucy.
I concur. I thought the post was a lovely story up until it got to the point where it was clear the previous paragraphs of story were the prelude to shame me as some kind of lesser fan because i am critical of the club.
And im not gonna stand up for many posters on this site, because frankly i dont care but im not going quietly into the night when Cat is tacitly calling out a guy who's put more time, cash and sweat equity into this club than i would wager anyone in our entire fan base.
You can do a lot to GE on this site and ill enjoy it, Ive got my own issues with how he runs this site, but thats this site... ultimately it's a who cares deal, and i wouldnt care except my personal history with it But you dont get to tacitly question his commitment to this club without being called to the carpet for it. This isnt the first not so subtle crack either.
Last edited by Botman on July 21, 2018, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 21, 2018, 6:33 pm So why is it the fact we have 20k members such a big deal, front and centre of the marketing pamphet that goes out every year?

Answer me that?

because that's what the NRL want, and it's a way of counting fans. It looks good , but it means nothing in terms of the clubs finances and they don't need us let alone owe us anything.

we have 20k members??? really????

newsflash we dont! maybe check out how many of them the sponsors "bought", how many memberships each play was given- they are all counted!!!

if we have 20k members where are they??? we are averaging 11k per game!

My understanding is we would have roughly 10k real members who bother to go to games and have real memberships not memberships handed to sponsors, players , staff etc.

souths say they have 50k members, guess what thats not real either! None of the numbers are real, same with twitter followers, intagram followers, facebook followers etc
Nrl doesn't care about us, nrl wants us to have members..

You have no idea, even less considering you've said it has no impact financially

If they club didn't need members why bother offering it.. since 1982?
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Nothing i hate more than when people try and tell me how to be a fan

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'd just like to say GE is a champion for running this site. It's given me years of free entertainment and its probably the best source of the Raiders history there is for the normal supporter if you look around. I mean it's a hard slog to be a normal fan, let alone have to run a site like this.

Thanks GE and Co for your demonstrated commitment to the Canberra Raiders over these many years.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

because that's what football clubs do!
Ask Don Furner next time your at a game and see what he says!

and if you honestly believe we have 20k full paying members , lets say each membership is $150 to average out the junior members, family passes, concessions etc that's 3mil gross, take out the cost of the packs that's 2.9mil at best.

We have a salary cap of over 10mil, coaches and other staff to pay, hire of canberra stadium , equipment, medical etc

you think that 2.9mil even counts? and 2.9mil is being generous!

the club owes you nothing, you dont count. If you left tomorrow they wouldn't even know
Vaccinated
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

cat wrote:
the club owes you nothing, you dont count. If you left tomorrow they wouldn't even know
And they've made that more than clear, Cat.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Remember when "the club" sold the Canberra Raiders?
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

T_R wrote: July 21, 2018, 7:22 pm
cat wrote:

and thats why you need to understand your "investment" doesn't mean you should expect the club to do as you say

they don't owe you anything for the years you have paid membership for, just as they dont owe me anything
Vaccinated
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

cat wrote:
cat wrote:

and thats why you need to understand your "investment" doesn't mean you should expect the club to do as you say

they don't owe you anything for the years you have paid membership for, just as they dont owe me anything
I never claimed they did.

I'm well aware that buying a membership does not make me a member.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

edwahu wrote: July 21, 2018, 7:17 pm I'd just like to say GE is a champion for running this site. It's given me years of free entertainment and its probably the best source of the Raiders history there is for the normal supporter if you look around. I mean it's a hard slog to be a normal fan, let alone have to run a site like this.

Thanks GE and Co for your demonstrated commitment to the Canberra Raiders over these many years.

Most things about our club and anything relating to it have sucked for a long time, but this place isn't one of them - as far as online forums go, it's one of the best run.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

If telling Greenberg to get **** means more fan points I'm definitely on board for that!

I haven't seen eye to eye with GE all the time but he has put in for $$$ and effort for the club than they deserve IMO. Super odd to

I've defended this club plenty of times in the past, but some of the decisions over the past few years have been beyond baffling and need to be called out, it's a club not a cult. The carry on about trying to get Jack Wighton back in time so we have a shot at 9th spot is the latest one.

BTW, I agree that they wouldn't give a single **** if I didn't renew next year. But a combination of being too lazy to reset account password and living almost next door to the stadium means auto renew will kick in and I will be a member next year.

A perception that a sporting organisation that doesn't care about fans is a problem though.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

edwahu wrote:I'd just like to say GE is a champion for running this site. It's given me years of free entertainment and its probably the best source of the Raiders history there is for the normal supporter if you look around. I mean it's a hard slog to be a normal fan, let alone have to run a site like this.

Damn straight.

cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

T_R wrote: July 21, 2018, 7:30 pm
cat wrote:
cat wrote:

I never claimed they did.

I'm well aware that buying a membership does not make me a member.
sorry TR i got you mixed up with TW who does think it entitles him to expect a return on his "investment" with the club as well as have the right to criticize and critique Don Furner and Co's performance as if he was their boss
Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:because that's what football clubs do!

and if you honestly believe we have 20k full paying members , lets say each membership is $150 to average out the junior members, family passes, concessions etc that's 3mil gross, take out the cost of the packs that's 2.9mil at best.

We have a salary cap of over 10mil, coaches and other staff to pay, hire of canberra stadium , equipment, medical etc

Wow. The club wouldn't notice if it lost 3 million dollars

That's a new kind of hot take that one..
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

If recruitment is a challenge now imagine trying to get players to sign when you tell them the crowd in the stadium will be made up of a couple dozen people from Queanbeyan...
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

-TW- wrote: July 21, 2018, 7:40 pm
cat wrote:because that's what football clubs do!

Wow. The club wouldn't notice if it lost 3 million dollars

That's a new kind of hot take that one..
firstly 3mil was being overly generous they make less them 2mil max from memberships and when you are running a club that goes through at least 100mil a year, 2mil really isnt that much!

as i said we have roughly 10k paying members that would be less then a mil profit per season.

Ask Don next game you attend.......
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm disturbed by the idea that the club owes their fans and members nothing. I don't believe the Canberra Raiders would believe that either.

Every football club is looking to maximise their crowds and memberships as no club sneezes at the prospect of a couple of million dollars... and support.

But clubs are nothing without their supporters. They don't exist. The current people involved in the club are stewards of the club, they are caretakers of it for the rugby league community of Canberra. Many are professionals in their field and they move from club to club. There are some who are absolute stalwarts, and are to be admired, and they don't move from club to club. But most do, in particular in the football department.

But the true supporters of the club don't move from club to club. They stay loyal to the Raiders for their lifetimes. And they pay for the privilege of supporting their team.

The people who are employees of the club depend upon the supporters. Because, the supporters are the people who pay. They are the customers. They pay with memberships, merchandise. Those dollars from the NRL? The supporters generate those dollars too. With their Foxtel subscriptions, with eyeballs on advertisements on FTA TV. Those dollars from the Canberra Raiders Group? The supporters generate those dollars too. Buying beers and meals at the Raiders' clubs, putting money into pokies. Those dollars from the sponsors? Only worth it to them if they get more Raiders supporting customers.

The idea that the club doesn't depend on the supporters... I'm sure the Raiders would not agree. And the supporters are the most loyal.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I missed any shot at GE.

That man is your quintessential supporter. He IS the GH.
He IS a fantastic man.

He IS a legend.

He IS responsible for us enjoying this forum.

He IS a man whose loyalty to the raiders cannot be questioned.

He IS my mate and I'll defend him to the death
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Yeah this club doesn't cost $100 Million a year to run...

Maybe ask Don next home game and you'll find it isn't even close to half of that..