Why I am proud to be a Raiders fan

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: Why I am proud to be a Raiders fan

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Go across any sporting club and their fb page and you will witness a strange 90-10 split.

The 90 are people who are in touch with reality. Because we don’t live in Orwellian dystopia, reality means being able to support a team while also being realistic and critical about real and obvious shortcomings of that which we support.

The 10 are the ones who seem to view their club as more of an infallible religion who shan’t be questioned. In attempting to discredit the 90, they will often revert to time honoured reports such as “unless you think you can do better than x or y you aren’t in a position to criticise”.
Particularly in a small town market like Canberra, you can bet your bottom dollar a large portion of the 10 have formed this view because they have personal ties to the club or its constituents. So they simply can not be impartial or unbiased.

Cat you are a member of the 10 and you know it.
Up The Milk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I don't like it when we fight...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:I don't like it when we fight...
Kiss and make up, Peej
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Classic stuff Cat.

You do an awesome job GE.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

I hate this approach that if you are critical you’re not a “true supporter”.
These guys aren’t going to war for me, they’re a form of entertainment and represent where I’m from, if things are obviously crap I’m going to say how I see it, I will still always support the club but it doesn’t mean I support their decisions or every player.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

This thread is something else.....
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Haven't we had some rippers this year

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:Haven't we had some rippers this year

My favorite was the segments
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I miss Frank's view from a lap

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:
Schifty wrote: July 21, 2018, 9:00 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:45 pm
Schifty wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:31 pm BTW if we are just supporters of the NRL business does that mean we can't criticise their decisions?
Now you're doing my head in Schifty!
Would you then also agree that as a Coles customer I'm allowed to criticise them for not stocking liquid nitrogen?
What does liquid nitrogen do?
Makes stuff cold typically.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

you're losing me cat

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I’m on board.
The Raiders are good,
the Raiders are great.
I surrender my will,
as of this date.

All hail the leader

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

When the Raiders win their next premiership I will hang my head low, weighed down by guilt for criticizing and 1000 beers that I've had to celebrate.

It'll probably stay down there for a few days too.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I love this time of year! :lol:

Anyway, FWIW I think we should take our angst out on the people who caused this kerfuffle, rather than our fellow fans. :)
  • Blame our coach for his terrible use of the bench - yet again - which in no small part impacted heavily on the start to our season.
  • I'm not one to always blame the refs, but point some anger towards some diabolical refereeing which has cost us at least two games this season.
  • Most of all (IMO), point the finger at some dead set horrible football from at least three players - who incidentally have all decided to go elsewhere next year. Paulo and Boyd in particular should hang their head in shame for some of the lacklustre performances this season. Austin also hasn't had his head right for a couple of years. Adios to all three.
  • Blame our stupid fullback for putting himself in a terrible situation on his birthday, resulting in his suspension for half a season, at a point where he was starting to hit some decent form.
  • And while we're at it, blame some bad luck on losing our best and most important player for the first half of the season to injury. Being without Hodgo really hurt us early.
All in all it has been a pretty ordinary year for Raiders fans. No point turning on each other as a result. Or captain Croker for that matter!! :lol:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 22, 2018, 5:09 pm I love this time of year! :lol:

Anyway, FWIW I think we should take our angst out on the people who caused this kerfuffle, rather than our fellow fans. :)
  • Blame our coach for his terrible use of the bench - yet again - which in no small part impacted heavily on the start to our season.
  • I'm not one to always blame the refs, but point some anger towards some diabolical refereeing which has cost us at least two games this season.
  • Most of all (IMO), point the finger at some dead set horrible football from at least three players - who incidentally have all decided to go elsewhere next year. Paulo and Boyd in particular should hang their head in shame for some of the lacklustre performances this season. Austin also hasn't had his head right for a couple of years. Adios to all three.
  • Blame our stupid fullback for putting himself in a terrible situation on his birthday, resulting in his suspension for half a season, at a point where he was starting to hit some decent form.
  • And while we're at it, blame some bad luck on losing our best and most important player for the first half of the season to injury. Being without Hodgo really hurt us early.
All in all it has been a pretty ordinary year for Raiders fans. No point turning on each other as a result. Or captain Croker for that matter!! :lol:
It's been a total balls up Seiff.
An extensive, in depth 2017 season review where no stone was left unturned through to a lone trial where our best 17 got a 20min? hit out before the season proper.

We are underdone at the start of every season kickoff. Slow start after slow start. Why isn't our coaching/performance team looking into that ?

On top of all that you've mentioned..

We have a heap of soul searching to do again this off season..again.

I want be see our boys get off to a flyer, win games consistently and enjoy themselves while doin it.

Salary cap dramas, injuries, suspensions, bench use, brain fart after brain fart, and plenty of other stuff that has so far behind the better sides it's not funny...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sorry all for my part in the thread... but when people are getting stuck into me in more than one thread... I will stand up for myself.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

greeneyed wrote:Sorry all for my part in the thread... but when people are getting stuck into me in more than one thread... I will stand up for myself.
You have the right to defend yourself mate, some ridiculous things said about you.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:Sorry all for my part in the thread... but when people are getting stuck into me in more than one thread... I will stand up for myself.
Yeah no need to apologise mate, you did nothing wrong. I have to say, it’s pretty disappointing reading these comments, particularly from a poster who is meant to be a mod of this forum
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

cat wrote: July 21, 2018, 7:19 pm because that's what football clubs do!
Ask Don Furner next time your at a game and see what he says!

and if you honestly believe we have 20k full paying members , lets say each membership is $150 to average out the junior members, family passes, concessions etc that's 3mil gross, take out the cost of the packs that's 2.9mil at best.

We have a salary cap of over 10mil, coaches and other staff to pay, hire of canberra stadium , equipment, medical etc

you think that 2.9mil even counts? and 2.9mil is being generous!

the club owes you nothing, you dont count. If you left tomorrow they wouldn't even know
When I worked at WT about 10 years ago the annual budget was around $15m. It's probably 20-25 now. You don't think 12% of your budget is important?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

hrundi89 wrote: July 23, 2018, 11:35 am
When I worked at WT
Outed.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

cat wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:13 pm so GE how many members do we really have?

and how much revenue does it bring in?

you think the club "owes you" and you have the right to criticize how its run rather than supporting it, how much do you own of the club?

i am a customer of Coles , i give them lots of money but i have no right to tell the bosses how to do their job, i can say i dont like having to bring a plastic bag but i can't tell them they are doing a bad job

We are called supporters , the key word here is supporter- ie to support
This just boggles the mind.

Have you ever been to a restaurant and the food is cold or the service is really bad or they get your order wrong? You've never felt the need to provide "feedback"?

This is how mediocrity and poor customer service festers.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

T_R wrote: July 23, 2018, 11:42 am
When I worked at WT
Outed.
I like to throw that in whenever possible because I enjoy living in the past... ;)
hiriser
Sam Backo

Post by hiriser »

Divide and Conquer. What a success.

On a serious note, i didn't think there was a problem with the original post.
I do think the naivety is a bit misguided but hey we're all entitled to our own opinions.

Until the NRL shows that Canberra is important to them, i wouldn't invest a single cent in the club and by extension the NRL.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

cat wrote: July 21, 2018, 6:55 pm
-TW- wrote: July 21, 2018, 6:33 pm So why is it the fact we have 20k members such a big deal, front and centre of the marketing pamphet that goes out every year?

Why is it the club is pushing so hard for more members if it doesn't matter?

Answer me that?

because that's what the NRL want, and it's a way of counting fans. It looks good , but it means nothing in terms of the clubs finances and they don't need us let alone owe us anything.

we have 20k members??? really????

newsflash we dont! maybe check out how many of them the sponsors "bought", how many memberships each play was given- they are all counted!!!

if we have 20k members where are they??? we are averaging 11k per game!

My understanding is we would have roughly 10k real members who bother to go to games and have real memberships not memberships handed to sponsors, players , staff etc.

souths say they have 50k members, guess what thats not real either! None of the numbers are real, same with twitter followers, intagram followers, facebook followers etc

Im a member....... tho i live in perth..... watch all the games on foxtel (to the annoyance of my wife). I buy tops through the Club store and support the team anyway i can. When i get to fly over to sydney i always make sure i head down to canberra to support the boys.....

Just because i dont make it to every game does that make me a bad supporter????
Perth Based Raiders Fan
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

hrundi89 wrote:
T_R wrote: July 23, 2018, 11:42 am
When I worked at WT
Outed.
I like to throw that in whenever possible because I enjoy living in the past... ;)
We got corporate box seats from that which I'm still thankful for!
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

edwahu wrote: July 21, 2018, 7:17 pm I'd just like to say GE is a champion for running this site. It's given me years of free entertainment and its probably the best source of the Raiders history there is for the normal supporter if you look around. I mean it's a hard slog to be a normal fan, let alone have to run a site like this.

Thanks GE and Co for your demonstrated commitment to the Canberra Raiders over these many years.
I'll have one of these as well. Thanks GE for everything. I do not know of a supporter of this club who has given more back to it than you have.

Just whilst on this, people need to be able to differentiate between the GE who runs the site and puts the news up and GE the poster that contributes to the forum with opinions like the rest of us. It's not that hard really. Just because GE does what he does for this site, it doesn't mean if you disagree with one of his opinions or stances on a matter that you jump up and down about the site itself. It's not the same thing.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Ha! Yeah being a good fan is refusing to criticize the team no matter what. How's this thread got 3 pages in? Why's anyone respond EDIT?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Woodgers wrote: July 23, 2018, 2:43 pmJust because GE does what he does for this site, it doesn't mean if you disagree with one of his opinions or stances on a matter that you jump up and down about the site itself. It's not the same thing.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

hrundi89 wrote:

you think the club "owes you" and you have the right to criticize how its run rather than supporting it, how much do you own of the club?

i am a customer of Coles , i give them lots of money but i have no right to tell the bosses how to do their job, i can say i dont like having to bring a plastic bag but i can't tell them they are doing a bad job

Have you ever been to a restaurant and the food is cold or the service is really bad or they get your order wrong? You've never felt the need to provide "feedback"?

It’s gold isn’t it?

I like the use of the Coles analogy, considering it was Joe Public criticising and petitioning banning plastic bags that resulted in the bags being scrapped

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: July 23, 2018, 2:53 pm
Woodgers wrote: July 23, 2018, 2:43 pmJust because GE does what he does for this site, it doesn't mean if you disagree with one of his opinions or stances on a matter that you jump up and down about the site itself. It's not the same thing.
Is someone confused about this?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I was agreeing, but in a low effort Facebooky kind of way.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

T_R wrote:Inwas agreeing, but in a low effort Facebooky kind of way.
If only we had the rep function
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 23, 2018, 5:43 pm
hrundi89 wrote:

It’s gold isn’t it?

I like the use of the Coles analogy, considering it was Joe Public criticising and petitioning banning plastic bags that resulted in the bags being scrapped
Then sell them for 15 cents

Then give them for free because Woolies are

August 1st they are banned...im betting you can buy plastic bags for 15 cents, Ohhhhh, but they are 80% recycled.... all good
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

PerthRaider86 wrote: July 23, 2018, 1:12 pm
cat wrote: July 21, 2018, 6:55 pm
-TW- wrote: July 21, 2018, 6:33 pm So why is it the fact we have 20k members such a big deal, front and centre of the marketing pamphet that goes out every year?

Why is it the club is pushing so hard for more members if it doesn't matter?

Answer me that?

because that's what the NRL want, and it's a way of counting fans. It looks good , but it means nothing in terms of the clubs finances and they don't need us let alone owe us anything.

we have 20k members??? really????

newsflash we dont! maybe check out how many of them the sponsors "bought", how many memberships each play was given- they are all counted!!!

if we have 20k members where are they??? we are averaging 11k per game!

My understanding is we would have roughly 10k real members who bother to go to games and have real memberships not memberships handed to sponsors, players , staff etc.

souths say they have 50k members, guess what thats not real either! None of the numbers are real, same with twitter followers, intagram followers, facebook followers etc

Im a member....... tho i live in perth..... watch all the games on foxtel (to the annoyance of my wife). I buy tops through the Club store and support the team anyway i can. When i get to fly over to sydney i always make sure i head down to canberra to support the boys.....

Just because i dont make it to every game does that make me a bad supporter????
I salute this man.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: July 22, 2018, 5:51 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: July 22, 2018, 5:09 pm I love this time of year! :lol:

It's been a total balls up Seiff.
An extensive, in depth 2017 season review where no stone was left unturned through to a lone trial where our best 17 got a 20min? hit out before the season proper.

We are underdone at the start of every season kickoff. Slow start after slow start. Why isn't our coaching/performance team looking into that ?

On top of all that you've mentioned..

We have a heap of soul searching to do again this off season..again.

I want be see our boys get off to a flyer, win games consistently and enjoy themselves while doin it.

Salary cap dramas, injuries, suspensions, bench use, brain fart after brain fart, and plenty of other stuff that has so far behind the better sides it's not funny...
Yeah, I can't remember the last time we hit the ground running. 2003 perhaps. It'd seriously have to be 15 years or so.