All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Re: Why I am proud to be a Raiders fan

Post by cat »

supporters are different to members GE,

do you really believe we have 20k real members?

supporting the club also doesnt give you the right to continuously criticize and go against them.

You are not their boss, you dont know everything that is going on behind the scenes ,
Vaccinated
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Schifty wrote:Yeah this club doesn't cost $100 Million a year to run...

Maybe ask Don next home game and you'll find it isn't even close to half of that..
Good thing that Don polished off his Uni of New England Arts degree to qualify him to run a $100m company.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

cat wrote: July 21, 2018, 7:19 pm the club owes you nothing, you dont count. If you left tomorrow they wouldn't even know
That's the spirit!

Funnily enough, that's also the same arrogant attitude that has seen our club flounder for the last two decades.

First and foremost it's the club that needs to change lady - worry about the NRL when we actually have our house in order.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:supporters are different to members GE,

supporting the club also doesnt give you the right to continuously criticize and go against them.

You are not their boss, you dont know everything that is going on behind the scenes ,
Telling people how to support again..
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Don and co are not the Canberra Raiders, they are just license holders. The NRL owns the club identity and they give a license to Canberra on the basis of the money the teams supporters put into watching the Raiders.

If there were zero members and nobody watching the NRL would give the license to someone else, as they did with the Knights last year, and the Raiders would continue to exist. Just as it did when Don and co sold it in the past.

Don and co are the custodians of the Canberra Raiders brand and legacy and 100% of the Raiders value is generated by its supporters, so they have every right to be critical of their performance.
Last edited by edwahu on July 21, 2018, 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat wrote: July 21, 2018, 7:50 pm supporters are different to members GE,

cat, I am the person who posts the information on the forum about how there are memberships given to local rugby league players as part of the 20,000 and how they include sponsor bought tickets. So why are you asking me the question? You're treating like I am some sort of idiot, and attacking and bullying me at the same time.

I have every right to analyse what is happening at the club, to assess outcomes and results, to question decisions the club makes. The supporters are the customers of the club and you might have heard the "saying"... the customer is king. The club doesn't exist without customers. We and the club like to call them supporters, members... but they are customers. The club is a business. They are selling us entertainment via a football team. Customers have the right to question what is being delivered to them. Every single time they deal with the club. And every single day.

I don't have to know everything that is going on behind the scenes... but I have a fair idea about that too. But that doesn't matter at all. Because the fans, the supporters, are customers, and the people at the club is delivering a product to them.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

cat wrote: July 21, 2018, 7:50 pm

Correct,

A membership isn't required for that.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

so GE how many members do we really have?

and how much revenue does it bring in?

you think the club "owes you" and you have the right to criticize how its run rather than supporting it, how much do you own of the club?

i am a customer of Coles , i give them lots of money but i have no right to tell the bosses how to do their job, i can say i dont like having to bring a plastic bag but i can't tell them they are doing a bad job

We are called supporters , the key word here is supporter- ie to support
Vaccinated
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

We actually do have 20,000 members and I think that's one area the club deserves some credit for. Especially has we wouldn't have the resources of other clubs so there would have been a fair lot of hard work by some staff there.

70% ticketed as well, so they aren't just padded out with 16,000 pet memberships.

btw #CatsLIvesMatter.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat, you do know that there are people who post on this forum who are very successful business people, who run much bigger businesses than the Raiders. Probably more successful too. Or who have run operations as big and probably more complex that the Raiders? And they have a background in football as well. You seem to think that everyone who posts on this forum has no analytical capability, no idea what happens at a footy club, and no idea how to run an organisation. There are some pretty smart people and operators here.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Cat I do admire your dedication and optimism and I don't think anyone here questions your dedication to the club but you need to consider that everyone here has different experiences and perspectives. I don't think I need to tell you that this is how the world is and nothing you do or say will ever change that. I completely accept your views and don't think you are wrong in the way you support the club at all.

I do however think it is unfair to question the legitimacy of the supporters on here because they are critical of the teams performance or of administrative decisions that the club makes. Keep in mind that this forum is a unique place in that it gives supporters a place to reasonably express their views without restriction. That is the cornerstone of online communities for better or worse.

The members of this forum will turn up next week and cheer for the Raiders be it at the ground or wherever their position in life allows them to do so. You can continue to post topics like this and argue your side and I'm sure no one will deny you the privilege. Others will post topics of criticism and no one will deny them the privilege. Some will disagree with that criticism and others will not, but questioning the legitimacy of the supporters on here because of their views is unreasonable and unfair.

Furthermore, if you not-so-subtlety target GE of all people who has dedicated as much blood sweat and tears to this club than any supporter on here you're going to get met. Again, I really do admire your dedication and truly believe we are lucky to have you as a supporter but that is the case about everyone on here whether you choose to agree with them or not.
Last edited by Finite on July 21, 2018, 8:23 pm, edited 9 times in total.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:so GE how many members do we really have?

you think the club "owes you" and you have the right to criticize how its run rather than supporting it, how much do you own of the club?

i am a customer of Coles , i give them lots of money but i have no right to tell the bosses how to do their job, i can say i dont like having to bring a plastic bag but i can't tell them they are doing a bad job

Just stop.. seriously

You're essentially saying you've never given any form of feedback ever in your life.

I'm sure as **** if you got a off chicken breast you'd let Coles know about it
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

greeneyed wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:17 pm cat, you do know that there are people who post on this forum who are very successful business people, who run much bigger businesses than the Raiders. Probably more successful too. Or who have run operations as big and probably more complex that the Raiders? And they have a background in football as well. You seem to think that everyone who posts on this forum has no analytical capability, no idea what happens at a footy club, and no idea how to run an organisation. There are some pretty smart people and operators here.
Yep,

This forum even has publicly elected members of council.

That then wine and dine the Cowboys CEO in corporate suites*.

*While abandoning their friends out in the cold stadium...... :roll:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Schifty wrote:
greeneyed wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:17 pm cat, you do know that there are people who post on this forum who are very successful business people, who run much bigger businesses than the Raiders. Probably more successful too. Or who have run operations as big and probably more complex that the Raiders? And they have a background in football as well. You seem to think that everyone who posts on this forum has no analytical capability, no idea what happens at a footy club, and no idea how to run an organisation. There are some pretty smart people and operators here.
Yep,

This forum even has publicly elected members of council.

That then wine and dine the Cowboys CEO in corporate suites*.

*While abandoning their friends out in the cold stadium...... :roll:
Well, I think we can all agree with Shillo that thise are not the kind of supporters we want.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:13 pm so GE how many members do we really have?

Actually, as a customer of Coles, you have every right to tell them they are doing a bad job. And you don't like paying for plastic bags. Or that you'd like them to stock a different brand. You can choose to but at Aldi or Woolworths instead if they don't respond. Or you can keep telling them... I'm a loyal customer and I don't like what you're doing. Please satisfy what I would like.

Supporters of football clubs are not required to be blind or uncritical. I believe as a supporter of a football club I should be demanding success... but it is up to you how to support your club.

But most importantly, you have absolutely no right to continue to tell me how I should support my football club.

On your question... I don't "own" any share of the Raiders. You and I know they are a subsidiary organisation that is ultimately owned by a registered club. I guess as a member of that club (the QLC), I have a vote on the office holders of that club. But I don't have a "share" in it. No one does. They're a community organisation... they are stewards of our district's rugby league club and exist to promote rugby league in the district. But as a member of the QLC, I have every right to have a say about how that works too.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

BTW if we are just supporters of the NRL business does that mean we can't criticise their decisions?
Last edited by Schifty on July 21, 2018, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Essentially, we don't know what happens behind the scenes
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Finite wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:17 pm Cat I do admire your dedication and optimism and I don't think anyone here questions your dedication to the club but you need to consider that everyone here has different experiences and perspectives. I don't think I need to tell you that this is how the world is and nothing you do or say will ever change that. I completely accept your views and don't think you are wrong in the way you support the club at all.

I do however think it is unfair to question the legitimacy of the supporters on here because they are critical of the teams performance or of administrative decisions that the club makes. Keep in mind that this forum is a unique place in that it gives supporters a place to reasonably express their views without restriction. That is the cornerstone of online communities for better or worse.

The members of this forum will turn up next week and cheer for the Raiders be it at the ground or wherever their position in life allows them to do so. You can continue to post topics like this and argue your side and I'm sure no one will deny you the privilege. Others will post topics of criticism and no one will deny them the privilege. Some will disagree with that criticism and others will not, but questioning the legitimacy of the supporters on here because of their views is unreasonable and unfair.

Furthermore, if you not-so-subtlety target GE of all people who has dedicated as much blood sweat and tears to this club than any supporter on here you're going to get met. Again, I really do admire your dedication and truly believe we are lucky to have you as a supporter but that is the case about everyone on here whether you choose to agree with them or not.
which was actually the point of me posting this thread in the first place

i have respected every single person on this forum for many many years. However this year every single time any of us says something GE or other high and mighty people dont agree with you get attacked

just read the jack wighton thread!

This place is losing fans left right and centre, because of the bully and high and mighty attitude of certain posters on here. I could start naming them if people would like me to!

I am not targeting GE but i will if you like because if you dont agree with him then off he goes. If you comment that you think the club is doing the right thing then pow he tells you you are wrong and argues with you

The "facts" that people believe on here are laughable, we do not have 20k real members! Even GE admits that!

People on here need to start respecting each other, listening to each other and respecting the club we all love

i dont care how many of you bother to actually go to games, i love going to games so i go. I dont care how many of you watch the game on TV

What i do care is that when the club is in there fighting as they are every week against every team and against the biases against us by refs and the NRL we stand in the trenches with the team and fight with them

one of the best things about this place was how supportive it was of the raiders, other fans look at this place and laugh now with the way some people turn on the club and players

I am not telling anyone how to support this team in terms of going to games etc I just expect some respect for my views
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Schifty wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:31 pm BTW if we are just supporters of the NRL business does that mean we can't criticise their decisions?
Now you're doing my head in Schifty!
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Schifty wrote:
cat wrote: July 21, 2018, 7:50 pm

Correct,

A membership isn't required for that.
I fail to see how this is true cat?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:32 pm Essentially, we don't know what happens behind the scenes
It actually doesn't matter. The outcomes and results are the ultimate performance indicators. And that's what any organisation should be focused on. Every organisation I have run had that as the key and that's what we were judged upon. And so should the Raiders be judged on that.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:
Finite wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:17 pm Cat I do admire your dedication and optimism and I don't think anyone here questions your dedication to the club but you need to consider that everyone here has different experiences and perspectives. I don't think I need to tell you that this is how the world is and nothing you do or say will ever change that. I completely accept your views and don't think you are wrong in the way you support the club at all.

i have respected every single person on this forum for many many years. However this year every single time any of us says something GE or other high and mighty people dont agree with you get attacked

This place is losing fans left right and centre, because of the bully and high and mighty attitude of certain posters on here. I could start naming them if people would like me to!

I am not targeting GE but i will if you like because if you dont agree with him then off he goes. If you comment that you think the club is doing the right thing then pow he tells you you are wrong and argues with you

The "facts" that people believe on here are laughable, we do not have 20k real members! Even GE admits that!

People on here need to start respecting each other, listening to each other and respecting the club we all love

i dont care how many of you bother to actually go to games, i love going to games so i go. I dont care how many of you watch the game on TV

What i do care is that when the club is in there fighting as they are every week against every team and against the biases against us by refs and the NRL we stand in the trenches with the team and fight with them

one of the best things about this place was how supportive it was of the raiders, other fans look at this place and laugh now with the way some people turn on the club and players

I am not telling anyone how to support this team in terms of going to games etc I just expect some respect for my views
This is the most disgraceful thing I've read on this forum, yes forum.

Forum meaning a place to share views, not toe the company line.

This forum is tame compared to other bigger ones or even Twitter
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

cat wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:37 pm

Cat I think you will find that some of the members on here feel that you are questioning their right to call themselves supporters. You are insinuating that when the Raiders win their next premiership that you can hold your head higher because you were unwavering, possessive and never criticised the players or the club.

Everyone here does respect your views but they are also open to disagree with them. You are confusing respect with consensus.

By the way I often view other clubs forums and the GH is one of the most polite of all the league forums. Think of that.
Last edited by Finite on July 21, 2018, 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat, I'm sorry, but I'm feeling like I have been targeted and attacked. That's the only reason I'm defending myself.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

-TW- wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:50 pm
cat wrote:

This is the most disgraceful thing I've read on this forum, yes forum.

Forum meaning a place to share views, not toe the company line.

This forum is tame compared to other bigger ones or even Twitter
Twitter me would have been banned from the GH years ago.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:
cat, I'm sorry, but I'm feeling like I have been targeted and attacked. That's the only reason I'm defending myself.
So you should

Claims of bullying are outrageous and extremely untruthful.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

greeneyed wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:45 pm
Schifty wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:31 pm BTW if we are just supporters of the NRL business does that mean we can't criticise their decisions?
Would you then also agree that as a Coles customer I'm allowed to criticise them for not stocking liquid nitrogen?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:56 pm
as an expert in the field of targeted attacks, i can confirm that's exactly what's happened here.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Pigman wrote: July 21, 2018, 9:10 pm
as an expert in the field of targeted attacks, i can confirm that's exactly what's happened here.
As a fellow expert of targeted atta..

Oh wait I think we are talking about different things...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Schifty wrote:

Has George Columbaris got you banned from twitter yet?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Schifty wrote: July 21, 2018, 9:00 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 21, 2018, 8:45 pm
Would you then also agree that as a Coles customer I'm allowed to criticise them for not stocking liquid nitrogen?
What does liquid nitrogen do?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Can we just take a deep breath, pause and exit this thread for tonight please?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

-TW- wrote: July 21, 2018, 9:16 pm
Schifty wrote:

Has George Columbaris got you banned from twitter yet?
It's bound to happen very soon. I don't think his show appreciates what still floats as one of the "Top" tweets on their promoted hashtag..
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

You gotta stop that **** man!
These wage thief jokes don’t have the legs here! Stale material
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Have i stepped into some other reality?!? This is bizarro world!

Cat and GE fighting.
Pigman sticking up for GE.
Im getting Managment, Marketing and Finance 101 in 1 condensed cram course.

Seriously! WOW.

Its been a tough yr, and and even tougher 24hrs, but seriously guys take a deep breath. We all have a common passion, remember that.