'No guarantee': Andrew Barr says stadium deal is a long way off

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

'No guarantee': Andrew Barr says stadium deal is a long way off

Post by greeneyed »

'No guarantee' on a new Canberra Stadium: Andrew Barr. says stadium deal is a long way off

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr has moved to temper the "over-excitement" about the prospect of buying Canberra Stadium, warning it could be another decade before any deal with the Australian Sports Commission is finalised.

"It could be another 10 years before anything is resolved because the Commonwealth own the facility. It's only for sale if they want it to be for sale, and we would only buy it if the price was right," Barr said on ABC Canberra.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zsm3.html
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Re: 'No guarantee': Andrew Barr moves says stadium deal is a long way off

Post by Leebola »

Useless ass-hat. This is a city of 450,000 and rising with an overwhelming interest in rectangle field sports. Get it sorted.
Last edited by Leebola on July 23, 2018, 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I just find it extraordinary that the Chief Minister of the ACT tells us to not to get "over excited" about a new stadium that his government promoted vigorously as a part of a new City to the Lake strategy. He and his government promised a new stadium... and failed to deliver. And have put it off, and off again, and off again... and now off again... and it is now somehow the fault of the voters that we've become "too excited" about a new Stadium... that the government promoted!
BUNGTIGER
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: croker

Post by BUNGTIGER »

Let’s keeping putting 23 million into a side and a code that does not even reside in the town
You’re a goose Barr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I wonder when he'll move to temper the excitement about that rink as well.

Anyone who thought Barr would keep any promise other than his stupid toy train and his beloved AFL funding is a fool.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Where’s Raidersfan who was saying Andrew Barr was going to deliver this new Civic stadium?

A few of us here, said Light Rail would impact delivery of the new Stadium. Raidersfan said “no way”.

Then a bit later the ACT Sports Minister said Light Rail had an impact on delivering the new stadium. What a surprise. Not.

Now we have Andrew Barr himself putting the brakes on a new stadium that he promised pre election, but probably never intended to prioritise for delivery.

I don’t know who has less credibility out of Andrew Barr or Raidersfan.

At least Raidersfan is a League follower and not giving $23 million for a few low quality AFL games. So he wins the credibility count over the Chief Minister.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: 'No guarantee': Andrew Barr says stadium deal is a long way off

Post by yurithe1 »

Speaking of the Giants deal, has anyone seen any reports about the ROI on this deal? I'll bet you he finds the money to renew the deal for AFL before he finds enough to even begin to buy the stadium or begin designing a new one.

What annoys me about politics in this Territory is that when enough people get jack of the ALP, they vote for the Greens who then side with Labor. Why waste your vote win the Greens don't really do anything to hold Labor to account or act as a brake on their daft schemes.

Bring back the Sun-Ripened Tomato Party or Party Party Party. (Yes, those were genuine political parties in the first Assembly election after we had self-government forced upon us despite two referendums saying "no". Ahh, democracy as done the Labor way.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

yurithe1 wrote: July 24, 2018, 12:21 pm What annoys me about politics in this Territory is that when enough people get jack of the ALP, they vote for the Greens who then side with Labor.
Yep. This drives me bananas. Too many idiots who don't think properly about this and don't consider that by voting Greens you may as well be voting Labor. So we end up at square one.

I think I put Sex Party pretty high up my preferences last time. They had some decent platforms.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

I love Bruce Stadium but it's on its last legs.

Spent last weekend at Lang Park and walked down there from a pub just up the road.
The atmosphere in Caxton Street with fans walking past was awesome.
Going to a purpose built stadium with no bad seats in the place was awesome.

Bruce is old, needs to be rebuilt or the Raiders need to move on. Clearly Barr isn't going to be a part of it - the Brumbies and the Raiders need to figure out how to get the deal done with private interests in the city

I don't know what the answer is - but there is no way in hell that Bruce should still be used as a stadium in 5 years, let alone a decade without MAJOR refurbs.

Really sad to read these comments.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Strange Barr then posted that there will be a new stadium as part of his farewell to Tim Gavel?
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Love4Noa wrote:Strange Barr then posted that there will be a new stadium as part of his farewell to Tim Gavel?
It's a bit too soon for the Tim Gavel memorial stadium, isn't it?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

reptar wrote: July 25, 2018, 3:13 pm
Love4Noa wrote:Strange Barr then posted that there will be a new stadium as part of his farewell to Tim Gavel?
It's a bit too soon for the Tim Gavel memorial stadium, isn't it?
I'm sure Tim would take one for the team.... er actually, er no I'll just shut up.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Don’t fall for the Andrew Barr tactic of raise the bold move of building a new stadium in Civic and then hose down the speculation six months later.

Repeat process on a annual cycle (especially leading up to an election).
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

raiderskater wrote: July 24, 2018, 7:08 pm
yurithe1 wrote: July 24, 2018, 12:21 pm What annoys me about politics in this Territory is that when enough people get jack of the ALP, they vote for the Greens who then side with Labor.
Yep. This drives me bananas. Too many idiots who don't think properly about this and don't consider that by voting Greens you may as well be voting Labor. So we end up at square one.

I think I put Sex Party pretty high up my preferences last time. They had some decent platforms.
I came up with an election slogan for the Sex Party that appeared in the CT Letters to the Editor a few years ago that they didn't use: "We're not going to take it lying down".

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The progress photos of Western Sydney Stadium posted on LU look incredible
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Well it will be interesting to see how Mr Barr handles this situation.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 505y7.html

Edit. On my phone so couldn't be bothered adding the 1st para.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:Well it will be interesting to see how Mr Barr handles this situation.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 505y7.html

Edit. On my phone so couldn't be bothered adding the 1st para.
Something along the lines of "shut up and take my money!"
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The general public deserves a much better Canberra Stadium too. And before anything is done at Manuka, given how little that ground is used.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The general public might want to start showing up to games if it feels it deserves better.
As i keep saying, check the Raiders and Brumbies crowds... the aleague bid doesnt have a prayer... why would the ACT Government invest that sort of money for a facility for teams that the general public dont appear to give much of a **** about?
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

We are going to end up with an oval “multi purpose” stadium that will be terrible for league (and union) 😡
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Pigman wrote: September 26, 2018, 11:20 pm The general public might want to start showing up to games if it feels it deserves better.
As i keep saying, check the Raiders and Brumbies crowds... the aleague bid doesnt have a prayer... why would the ACT Government invest that sort of money for a facility for teams that the general public dont appear to give much of a **** about?
If you put a stadium close to the city pubs and restaurants and also made it covered I bet my life that crowds would be larger than the current. As long as the prices were also kept at a reasonable level for families.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Manchild wrote: September 27, 2018, 10:14 am
Pigman wrote: September 26, 2018, 11:20 pm The general public might want to start showing up to games if it feels it deserves better.
If you put a stadium close to the city pubs and restaurants and also made it covered I bet my life that crowds would be larger than the current. As long as the prices were also kept at a reasonable level for families.
I don’t disagree
But from the government perspective, it’s hard to justify such a large investment in major infrastructure when the tenants don’t appear to have very strong community support
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A "winning" Raiders team has more community support than just about any other I can think of in Canberra. By a long way.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

GE,
Canberran's love a winner.
When the Brumbies had the likes of Roff, Gregan and Larkhim running around, and they were winning trophies, the crowds showed up.
Same went for a successful Raiders side.
Both are decades ago.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: September 27, 2018, 11:25 am A "winning" Raiders team has more community support than just about any other I can think of in Canberra. By a long way.
Sure. Except we havent really won reliably for 30 years now. So that community support is short lived.
So why would the ACT GOV invest in a team that only has large scale community support when it wins, when history suggests it can not reliably, consistently win?

The reality is a new purpose build stadium rectangular stadium isn't going to be a priority until the community support justifies it.
And the only way that happens is if the Raiders start winning and consistently get bigger crowds AND/OR the brumbies start winning and consistently get bigger crowds, AND/OR Canberra gets an a-league and it gets good crowds... and it probably needs at least 2 of those things to happen.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Andrew Barr, people will come Andrew Barr. They'll come to Canberra for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up to Civic not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at the gate as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $30 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in beanies on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the try lines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Andrew Barr. The one constant through all the years, Andrew Barr, has been rugby league. Australia has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But rugby league has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Andrew Barr. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Andrew Barr. People will most definitely come.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I love that movie.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I bet if the ACT government gave the Raiders (like they do GWS) $750,000 for each home game they played, we would be better able to market the game and have more junior development officers in the schools encouraging and growing attendance at Raiders games.

If the NRL Commission had a group of people who focused on the ACT region the same way the AFL focuses on the ACT region, then I wouldn’t be concerned that AFL will achieve their goal to be the number 1 sport in Canberra and I wouldn’t also be concerned that a new stadium in Canberra is more suited to large Oval sports like AFL ahead of rectangular sports.

NRL and their Clubs are sleepwalking into oblivion.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Poor crowds + poor management + vindictive chief minister + obstructionist commonwealth government = no ****ing chance of a new stadium.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They need to build a multi purpose stadium/arena, one that can be converted into a basketball court, can hold concerts, conventions etc

The days of single use facilities are over
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

A rectangular league/soccer/union stadium that could be easily temporarily modded into an entertainment/concert arena isn't that hard to do.

I'm living in Singapore now and they have one- despite having no sporting culture, no local teams to regularly fill it. They just decided if they were going to build a stadium, that it was actually most cost effective to build a good one that was genuinely multi purpose without being a bit crap for everything. It's enclosed and air-conditioned. It's not some phenomenally rare piece of engineering. It's a stadium with one bell (enlclosed) and one whistle (AC) which compliment each other. Sliding/temporary seating etc is decades old and easy done.

If you build a good stadium, people will find reasons to fill it. Events will want to come here, be enticed instead of discouraged. Good infrastructure pays for itself in what it brings to a city.

They should build it- Canberra is our capital and needs one good rectangular stadium (Bruce is at its use-by and maintenance costs/utility/placement make it a sunk cost fallacy to maintain) and one good oval stadium- Manuka is clearly it and should be developed accordingly.

Captain Obvious signing off.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

BadnMean wrote:A rectangular league/soccer/union stadium that could be easily temporarily modded into an entertainment/concert arena isn't that hard to do.

I'm living in Singapore now and they have one- despite having no sporting culture, no local teams to regularly fill it. They just decided if they were going to build a stadium, that it was actually most cost effective to build a good one that was genuinely multi purpose without being a bit crap for everything. It's enclosed and air-conditioned. It's not some phenomenally rare piece of engineering. It's a stadium with one bell (enlclosed) and one whistle (AC) which compliment each other. Sliding/temporary seating etc is decades old and easy done.

If you build a good stadium, people will find reasons to fill it. Events will want to come here, be enticed instead of discouraged. Good infrastructure pays for itself in what it brings to a city.

They should build it- Canberra is our capital and needs one good rectangular stadium (Bruce is at its use-by and maintenance costs/utility/placement make it a sunk cost fallacy to maintain) and one good oval stadium- Manuka is clearly it and should be developed accordingly.

Saitama Super Arena Image
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 27, 2018, 7:44 pm
BadnMean wrote:A rectangular league/soccer/union stadium that could be easily temporarily modded into an entertainment/concert arena isn't that hard to do.

Saitama Super Arena Image
That is your top of the line, next gen stadium. I don't expect Canberra to fork out for that.

But AIS arena (the old basketball stadium) for example is extendable /retractable all the way around and a pretty good stadium (small scale but shows can be done) built in the early 80s. There's heaps of ways to do it.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

If the Raiders and Brumbies can be successful, you'll see a lot of bandwagon riders appear to justify a new or refurbished stadium.

Anyway, I was watching a match between the Raiders and Manly from 1998 where the building works for the Gregan-Larkham Stand are underway. So, that side has been in use for about 20 years now. So, it is time for at least another upgrade. for the Meaning Stand, which has been around for a lot longer.

Incidentally, if you want to see what $US69 M will get you, check out: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/top- ... ies-2018-9 . Obviously, the Raiders and Brumbies wouldn't require many of the things you see such as the auto opaque glass or helmet coolers, which would keep costs down, but the sheer size of the stadium is impressive by itself.

As far as containing the stadium's costs into the future, check out how the MCG does it: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/how- ... ium=native

Anyone at ACTEWAGL thinking promotional partnership where the expertise could be extended to other grounds once the Bruce stadium is done?

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

yurithe1 wrote: September 28, 2018, 12:06 pm If the Raiders and Brumbies can be successful, you'll see a lot of bandwagon riders appear to justify a new or refurbished stadium.

Anyway, I was watching a match between the Raiders and Manly from 1998 where the building works for the Gregan-Larkham Stand are underway. So, that side has been in use for about 20 years now. So, it is time for at least another upgrade. for the Meaning Stand, which has been around for a lot longer.

Incidentally, if you want to see what $US69 M will get you, check out: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/top- ... ies-2018-9 . Obviously, the Raiders and Brumbies wouldn't require many of the things you see such as the auto opaque glass or helmet coolers, which would keep costs down, but the sheer size of the stadium is impressive by itself.

As far as containing the stadium's costs into the future, check out how the MCG does it: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/how- ... ium=native

Anyone at ACTEWAGL thinking promotional partnership where the expertise could be extended to other grounds once the Bruce stadium is done?
I'd settle for that giant sign that says COMPOSURE