Playing the whistle

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Re: Playing the whistle

Post by Raider Azz »

Yep. Cameron Smith would have been in the refs face and the ref would have stopped play then and there. I am 100% confident of that.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Playing the whistle

Post by gangrenous »

hobbsy wrote:
gangrenous wrote: July 21, 2018, 12:42 pm
hobbsy wrote:If the play is stopped, why did the Sharks keep playing?
If the Sharks take peptides do they become legal?

**** is this what passes for logic with the kids these days?
You are missing the logic here. The referee decision was incorrect, no doubt there, but the Sharks player kept going, because the referee had not definitively stopped the play. He should have, but he didn't, the Sharks took advantage and won the game. Smart teams do these things. It's been winning championships in every sport since they began.
I think you’ll find that’s more because they had the ball. It’s much more common to just play on in attack until you’re dragged back. On the other hand, smacking someone after play has been ordered to stop (which remembering the rules is what that flag means) is a lot less socially acceptable in almost every single case bar this one.

I also remember some cases where Raiders have played on despite opposition stopping. There was the Saints game. And there was one where someone played on and grounded it and it should have been referred but the ref wouldn’t listen. Was it Rapana?
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Pigman wrote: July 21, 2018, 1:29 pm
dubby wrote: July 21, 2018, 1:25 pm Isn't the biggest concern that the bunker made a wrong call, and over ruled the correct on field decision?
For me it is.
The bunker issue is on going. It’s a fiasco. They just can’t get the basics right here
The Bunker is a joke. Last night = joke. Last week (young Roosters player) = joke. Earlier in year the Slater 'drop goal' try = joke. The Bunker is ruining the game for fans, players and refs.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It’s not the Bunker. The Bunker generally is really good and improves the refereeing immensely. It’s just the inconsistencies and utter brain snaps that they seem to have that ruins a great set up.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Play to the whistle and belt the ball carrier when he's let his guard down and it'd be at least a 2 week suspension.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on July 21, 2018, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:Play to rhe whistle and belt the ball carrier when he's let his guard down and it'd be at least a 2 week suspension.
It would be so awesome to see.

"Just playing to the whistle boss."

We all know that Cam Smith would get away with it. Hell he'd probably even get a penalty out of it.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

The complete irrational bias in this thread is amazing.

If this was in reverse you'd be screaming "play the whistle" from the treetops.

The rules state the touchie can only rule on touch or touch in goal. And then the ref "shall" blow the whistle. This was not either case and the touchie was ignored correctly, the Sharks played on and scored.

That is on our players for crying foul rather than make the **** tackle. They make the tackle, this isn't an issue.

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Captain Punish wrote:The complete irrational bias in this thread is amazing.

The rules state the touchie can only rule on touch or touch in goal. And then the ref "shall" blow the whistle. This was not either case and the touchie was ignored correctly, the Sharks played on and scored.

That is on our players for crying foul rather than make the **** tackle. They make the tackle, this isn't an issue.

At this point this has to be a parody account surely.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

You’re claiming other people are being irrational. That’s a thousand pots calling the kettle black.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

BJ wrote:

You’re claiming other people are being irrational. That’s a thousand pots calling the kettle black.
I don't expect irrational people to admit fault. It's part of the personality disorder.

So, I expect you all to carry on being in denial and crying foul. It's like Ricky Stuart and Don Furner's lack of accountability has rubbed off on the supporter base.

Sheesh. You all need to take a lie down.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Captain Punish wrote:
BJ wrote:

I don't expect irrational people to admit fault. It's part of the personality disorder.

So, I expect you all to carry on being in denial and crying foul. It's like Ricky Stuart and Don Furner's lack of accountability has rubbed off on the supporter base.

And there it is ladies and gentlemen.

The **** up occurred.

Pigman bizarrely declared it the doing of Stuart.

Pigman took this theory back to the Facebook echo chamber.

Like a hyena, Punish smelt Stuart's blood on the wind and went into a feeding frenzy.

Neither are willing to give up their carcass.
And so here we have it.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Captain Punish wrote:
BJ wrote:

The **** up occurred.

Like a hyena, Punish smelt Stuart's blood on the wind and went into a feeding frenzy.

And so here we have it.
Where did I say it was Stuart's fault?

I said our players were at fault. For not playing the whistle. I just mentioned that our fan base has Stuart and Furner's accountability level. Which is an issue that has stemmed from well before this debacle.

You are reaching Doc. But that's ok. You do you. But remember, sometimes if reach too far, you end up playing a trombone.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote:
T_R wrote:
-TW- wrote:
T_R wrote:
-TW- wrote:Neither do you..

A touch judge cannot stop play.. you said it yourself

**** me
Are you for real?

" When the touch judge's flag is raised, the referee SHALL stop play".

Not may.
Not should.

He must. The flag goes up, play stops.
Arl rules doesn't say that anywhere
S16.10

I've now listed it 4 times, and I think that's enough.

You're clearly a referee in the finest traditions of the NRL **** show.
Oh **** me.. in relation to touch and touch in goal

This had 2/5ths of **** all to do with that..

He **** up raising the flag, that's as clear as day
I think we're getting there.

So you agree that the ref MUST stop pkay when the ball is in touch.

17.43 states that while the ball is in pkay, the only time the touchie can raise his flag is when the ball is in touch. And as we've agreed, the ref then has no choice but to then stop play.

The touchie raised his flag. The ball has been ruled to be in touch (no matter what he was thinking). The ref must stop play.

Easy when you work through it, isn't it!

You'll note that the NRL have come out and now clarified that this is indeed the case, by the way

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

T_R wrote:
-TW- wrote:
T_R wrote:
-TW- wrote:
T_R wrote:Are you for real?

" When the touch judge's flag is raised, the referee SHALL stop play".

Not may.
Not should.

He must. The flag goes up, play stops.
Arl rules doesn't say that anywhere
S16.10

I've now listed it 4 times, and I think that's enough.

You're clearly a referee in the finest traditions of the NRL **** show.
Oh **** me.. in relation to touch and touch in goal

This had 2/5ths of **** all to do with that..

He **** up raising the flag, that's as clear as day
I think we're getting there.

So you agree that the ref MUST stop pkay when the ball is in touch.

17.43 states that while the ball is in pkay, the only time the touchie can raise his flag is when the ball is in touch. And as we've agreed, the ref then has no choice but to then stop play.

The touchie raised his flag. The ball has been ruled to be in touch (no matter what he was thinking). The ref must stop play.

Easy when you work through it, isn't it!

You'll note that the NRL have come out and now clarified that this is indeed the case, by the way
I'm all for the ref stopping pkay when the touchie raises his flag as he should not be pkaying around when there is a game going on. As long as this tomfoolery does not affect the state of play however, the touchie can do what he likes. Hence why he was ignored, well, by everyone but the bunch of numpties wearing green that is.

Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

It seems the majority of neutrals and the nrl think play should have stopped. The players are claiming a ref called knock on

This isn't just irrational raiders fans being butthurt. Imagine this happening in the grand final
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Pigman wrote:
dubby wrote: July 21, 2018, 1:25 pm Isn't the biggest concern that the bunker made a wrong call, and over ruled the correct on field decision?
For me it is.
The bunker issue is on going. It’s a fiasco. They just can’t get the basics right here
The bunker is a lost cause mate. I've no faith in it at all.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Pete Cash wrote:It seems the majority of neutrals and the nrl think play should have stopped. The players are claiming a ref called knock on

This isn't just irrational raiders fans being butthurt. Imagine this happening in the grand final
Well, any team good enough to make a grand final no doubt play the whistle. They would not stand around like stunned mullets crying poor when there is a simple tackle to be made.

Hence why they are a team in the grand final, and we can't make the top 8.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I love you Dr Zaius

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

Captain Punish wrote: July 21, 2018, 3:43 pm
Pete Cash wrote:It seems the majority of neutrals and the nrl think play should have stopped. The players are claiming a ref called knock on

Well, any team good enough to make a grand final no doubt play the whistle. They would not stand around like stunned mullets crying poor when there is a simple tackle to be made.

Hence why they are a team in the grand final, and we can't make the top 8.

If the ref indeed called knock on I don't see how that is not playing to the whistle as an aside. The refs don't always use their whistle to put the ball dead.

Either way the confusion of what happened influenced the play. You would have to be real dumb to deny that
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Captain Punish wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Captain Punish wrote:
BJ wrote:

The **** up occurred.

And so here we have it.

I said our players were at fault. For not playing the whistle. I just mentioned that our fan base has Stuart and Furner's accountability level. Which is an issue that has stemmed from well before this debacle.

You are reaching Doc. But that's ok. You do you. But remember, sometimes if reach too far, you end up playing a trombone.

Pig said clearly on multiple occasions in the game day thread "this is on Stuart". You're saying it's indicative of the culture set down by Stuart and Furner. I could reach that with T-Rex arms.
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Captain Punish wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Captain Punish wrote:
BJ wrote: You’re claiming other people are being irrational. That’s a thousand pots calling the kettle black.

The **** up occurred.

And so here we have it.

Pig said clearly on multiple occasions in the game day thread "this is on Stuart". You're saying it's indicative of the culture set down by Stuart and Furner. I could reach that with T-Rex arms.
No, I said the fans reactions are indicative of the Stuart/Furner culture of lack of accountability. Nothing related to the on field play have I even mentioned Stuart to be a part of. On this occasion.

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

gangrenous wrote: July 21, 2018, 12:11 pm Honestly the correct play by the Raiders in this scenario is also to stand around and let him score. That ensures it’s sent upstairs and the appropriate decision should be made which is no try our ball, or at worst a replay because the touchie signalled in error. If they tackle the player then the referees likely just pretend it didn’t happen. It’s just a shame the Bunker doubled down on sheer stupidity, but stopping in this case is actually the correct play and highlights the farce.

However I will say that it’s still clear our “professional” players do not know the rules of the game (e.g. they only learned about stripping in the act of scoring last night! Image) and I doubt they thought about it in that fashion. They just saw the flag and instinctively stopped.
I think you are quite right on this point gangers. I refer specifically to Austin deliberately knocking the ball on in the final seconds of the match against Manly. That should have been a penalty to them and anything could have happened. During the offseason while the players are recuperating from injury, I hope a whole bunch of these rule breeches are made clear to the players. Nothing wrong with an education session on the game they earn their living from.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 21, 2018, 1:50 pm Play to the whistle and belt the ball carrier when he's let his guard down and it'd be at least a 2 week suspension.
Fair call Roger..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: July 21, 2018, 10:09 am
Dr Zaius wrote:
T_R wrote:I honestly don't understand how this is possible.

But you know what? I have better things to do.
Good decision. He has never once admitted that he is wrong. Despite all of evidence confirming that he is wrong here, he will stick to his guns. At least the wall might give way. Or your skull.
Actually, Im currently enjoying the company of your colleagues at Queensland Health. My little halfback is out for another season :(
Oh no, tell him get well soon!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:
T_R wrote: July 21, 2018, 10:09 am
Dr Zaius wrote:
T_R wrote:I honestly don't understand how this is possible.

But you know what? I have better things to do.
Good decision. He has never once admitted that he is wrong. Despite all of evidence confirming that he is wrong here, he will stick to his guns. At least the wall might give way. Or your skull.
Actually, Im currently enjoying the company of your colleagues at Queensland Health. My little halfback is out for another season :(
Oh no, tell him get well soon!
Just soft tissue, thank goodness. Just a few weeks on the sideline.

Thanks!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

If there's anyone still out there clinging to the idea that play did not need to stop with the flag going up, jump onto the MMM podcast interview with Sutton, where he says unequivocally that it should have.

Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

T_R wrote:If there's anyone still out there clinging to the idea that play did not need to stop with the flag going up, jump onto the MMM podcast interview with Sutton, where he says unequivocally that it should have.
I can go on the radio and declare I am the most handsome **** around, doesn't mean it's true. It's just my opinion.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Captain Punish wrote:
T_R wrote:If there's anyone still out there clinging to the idea that play did not need to stop with the flag going up, jump onto the MMM podcast interview with Sutton, where he says unequivocally that it should have.
I can go on the radio and declare I am the most handsome **** around, doesn't mean it's true. It's just my opinion.

You have lovely hair.

I get the whole dying on the hill thing, but the ref's manager just came out and explained the rules, and you're wrong.

Just move on. Feel the burden lift from your shoulders. Be free, Lucy. Be free.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Nah. Let's pretend we know better. Because, y'know.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Oh Lucy, never change you magnificent bastard.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He said play should have stopped because he made the wrong signal "The touch judge should have indicated to the referee he made a mistake", the same as if the referee blew his whistle by accident.

Which therefore means a scrum feed to the sharks
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 21, 2018, 4:04 pm Pig said clearly on multiple occasions in the game day thread "this is on Stuart". You're saying it's indicative of the culture set down by Stuart and Furner. I could reach that with T-Rex arms.
And I stand by it and would say it again.
Our team are the biggest sooks in the game, every set someone is mouthing off or gesturing for a call from refs.

There is barely a dropped ball or strip call we don’t want to argue the toss about, regardless of how obvious it is that it’s clearly our fault

And why wouldn’t they? From the top down there is no accountability. No responsibly taken. Would anyone want to deny that?
Anyone want to stand on the table and deny that the current culture of the Canberra Raiders is more about blaming others for our failure?
Our chairman, our ceo, our coach, our captain, and yes... on the park, our players exhibit this week in and week out. We’ve had this for a long time but there is no doubt it’s at an all time high

So yeah when you see one team playing to the whistle and another standing around whinging at the refs... yeah, that’s not a long bow to draw

The sharks played football
The raiders, as always, played the victim

If you can’t see how the victim culture this club has right now, top to bottom isn’t personified in incidents like that when something doesn’t go our way, then there is no hope for you. This isn’t an isolated incident. Every week we see moments where our players appear more interested in complaining to officials than to doing their job
That’s culture
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I've just rang Ricky Macfarlane..he's upset.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

-PJ- wrote:I've just rang Ricky Macfarlane..he's upset.
It's about time you rang Wayne.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Pigman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: July 21, 2018, 4:04 pm Pig said clearly on multiple occasions in the game day thread "this is on Stuart". You're saying it's indicative of the culture set down by Stuart and Furner. I could reach that with T-Rex arms.
And I stand by it and would say it again.
Our team are the biggest sooks in the game, every set someone is mouthing off or gesturing for a call from refs.

There is barely a dropped ball or strip call we don’t want to argue the toss about, regardless of how obvious it is that it’s clearly our fault

And why wouldn’t they? From the top down there is no accountability. No responsibly taken. Would anyone want to deny that?
Anyone want to stand on the table and deny that the current culture of the Canberra Raiders is more about blaming others for our failure?
Our chairman, our ceo, our coach, our captain, and yes... on the park, our players exhibit this week in and week out. We’ve had this for a long time but there is no doubt it’s at an all time high

So yeah when you see one team playing to the whistle and another standing around whinging at the refs... yeah, that’s not a long bow to draw

The sharks played football
The raiders, as always, played the victim

If you can’t see how the victim culture this club has right now, top to bottom isn’t personified in incidents like that when something doesn’t go our way, then there is no hope for you. This isn’t an isolated incident. Every week we see moments where our players appear more interested in complaining to officials than to doing their job
That’s culture
That'd be a swell story except that every sharks player other than the guy with the ball (who couldn't see the flag) stopped as well. But you know, Ricky Stuart is the devil.