-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Playing the whistle.

Post by -TW- »

T_R wrote:
Pigman wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:19 pm
T_R wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:16 pm
I'm only quoting the rules.
Rules that relate to the ball being in touch. Which is not this.
Incorrect.

The ball being in touch is the ONLY time (post 2012) that a touch judge can raise his flag. There is no provision to make that signal in any other circumstance.

The referee 'SHALL' accept the raised flag as the ball being in touch.

The flag goes up means the ball is in touch and the play stops.
Again..

16.2. The Referees shall enforce the Laws of the Game and may impose penalties for any deliberate breach of the Laws. He shall be the sole judge on matters of fact except those relating to touch and touch in-goal

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:17 pm
T_R wrote:
Pigman wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:14 pm
T_R wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:10 pm
-TW- wrote: July 20, 2018, 8:56 pm It's not. It's a signal to the referee

The referee makes the final call
Incorrect.

I just read the rules (section 16 if you want to follow at home).

In summary:

The touch judge raises the flag when the ball goes into touch

The referee 'shall accept the decision of ... the touch judge'

So, that flag goes up, the assumption is that it's in touch and it's stop play.
The ball didnt go into touch, TR
Assumption is the mother of all **** ups, so a wonderful Steven Segal film once told me
I won't be asking you to be my lawyer..
That would be wise.
But not in this case.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Playing the whistle

Post by Dr Zaius »

Seems that the only two people on this forum and LU that somehow think that this is not a monumental **** up by the officials are holding out on the tenuous basis that this is somehow Ricky Stuart's fault.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:24 pm
T_R wrote:
Incorrect.

The ball being in touch is the ONLY time (post 2012) that a touch judge can raise his flag. There is no provision to make that signal in any other circumstance.

Again..

16.2. The Referees shall enforce the Laws of the Game and may impose penalties for any deliberate breach of the Laws. He shall be the sole judge on matters of fact except those relating to touch and touch in-goal
Yes.
But the flag up can ONLY mean the ball is in touch.
The referee is NOT the sole judge of the touch rule, as per your obsessively quoted 16.2
Therefore, the flag is up, the ball is in touch and the game stops.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Wiggy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Wiggy »

The touch judge is only allowed to raise his flag when the ball goes out.

He clearly raised his flag... so regardless of whether or not it went out, he made the signal (which can’t be overturned by the ref) that the ball was out.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:24 pm
T_R wrote:
Incorrect.

Again..

Yes.
But the flag up can ONLY mean the ball is in touch.
The referee is NOT the sole judge of the touch rule, as per your obsessively quoted 16.2
Therefore, the flag is up, the ball is in touch and the game stops.
This seems to be a hard concept for some people to comprehend.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The ball was clearly not in touch. There is no doubt about that.
The whistle had not sounded, the sharks played the whistle. We stood around gesturing at officials

Look, i see your side of it, i really do. I dont think people on that side are stupid or insane... but playing the whistle is the oldest rule in every sport. That's 101. We didnt do it. And it cost us.
Stuart knows it too and he doesnt know **** much but he knows that.

I hate that his decision is going to dominate the headlines when the real issue is that the bunker has no evidence to overrule and Beej's pass was not remotely forward.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Pigman wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:28 pm The ball was clearly not in touch. There is no doubt about that.
The whistle had not sounded, the sharks played the whistle. We stood around gesturing at officials

Look, i see your side of it, i really do. I dont think people on that side are stupid or insane... but playing the whistle is the oldest rule in every sport. That's 101. We didnt do it. And it cost us.
It's not 'my side of it', it's the rules. There's no rule offering the referee the option of ignoring the raised flag - he 'shall accept the decision'. It's in the rules.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sutton has said he shouldnt have raised his flag
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:32 pm Sutton has said he shouldnt have raised his flag
Doesn't matter - that's not his call.

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

T_R wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:23 pm
Incorrect.

So it actually doesn’t matter if the ball is in touch or not, if the touchie raises his flag then it’s in touch, as he’s the sole judge of touch hence being called a touch judge?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:30 pm
Pigman wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:28 pm The ball was clearly not in touch. There is no doubt about that.

It's not 'my side of it', it's the rules. There's no rule offering the referee the option of ignoring the raised flag - he 'shall accept the decision'. It's in the rules.
So why do on field officials go to the video ref to confirm when a touchie has raised his flag on a winger diving for try line? And why are they allowed to over-rule the touchie who's raised his flag when its clear the ball has not gone into touch?

by this way of thinking, once the touch judge raises his flag the on field ref has no right to even refer it to the VR.
Last edited by Botman on July 20, 2018, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

kiwi raider wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:34 pm
T_R wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:23 pm
Incorrect.

So it actually doesn’t matter if the ball is in touch or not, if the touchie raises his flag then it’s in touch, as he’s the sole judge of touch hence being called a touch judge?
Them's tha rules.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Pigman wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:35 pm

So why do on field officials go to the video ref to confirm when a touchie has raised his flag on a winger diving for try line? And why are they allowed to over-rule the touchie who's raised his flag when its clear the ball has not gone into touch?
Don't ask me - consult the rules.

chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

The fact is that the touch judge and or refereee had a direct effect on the outcome of a play, the touch judge raised his flag, called a knock on....the ref put his whistle to his mouth, regardless of if he blew it or not, doesnt matter, anyone who has played a team sport, if the touchie puts his flag up, verbally calls a knock on, you as a player 'switch off' add to the fact that the ref put his whistle to his mouth its second nature to relax and stop. If it wasnt a knock on then play should have been re started due to touch judge/refs inadvertently interfering in the game.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Captain Punish wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:22 pm
Leebola wrote:Pretty sure we've established the NRL appointed official made a signal that's been established as a transgression for a century at least.
But the ball was not in touch.

Play on.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Well, this is the uppest of hills. The NRL appointed arbiter of the rules signalled that a transgression had taken place, by the centuried signal of raising the flag. The NRL team that has agreed to play NRL by the NRL's rules assumed that the NRL's rules would apply apply in such a situation (see the post by T_R). If this assumption is wrong, then we might as well be playing tiddlywinks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:36 pm

you're the one arguing the rule is clear, and yet there is clear evidence this is not the case... so yeah, i am asking you.
if your answer is they dont officiate to the rule book... cool. I can accept that, but we know that, the players on the field know that too, this is common practise. So again, that's on us.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

From NRL.com

‘The NRL admitted the decision by a touch judge to raise his flag in the lead-up to a controversial try was wrong and promised a review of the incident that cost the Raiders in their 28-24 loss to Cronulla on Friday night’

Thank you NRL, I’ll sleep better tonight...

****!!!!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Pigman wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:38 pm

you're the one arguing the rule is clear, and yet there is clear evidence this is not the case... so yeah, i am asking you.
if your answer is they dont officiate to the rule book... cool. I can accept that, but we know that, the players on the field know that too, this is common practise. So again, that's on us.
If you're absolutely determined to blame the players for this, there's nothing I can do to change your opinion.
And yes, I'd prefer they made the tackles, too. If they had done so, the ref would have gone back for the knock on and I assume we'd have won the game.
But according to the rules of the game, they are not in the wrong here.
And according to common sense, the try should not have been awarded.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:40 pm From NRL.com

‘The NRL admitted the decision by a touch judge to raise his flag in the lead-up to a controversial try was wrong '
Beg to differ. Pigman and Punish have said it wasn't.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Pigman wrote:

The VR over rules on field decisions all of the time. That is their job.
Wiggy
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiggy »

Yeah, looks like the NRL are setting up the touchie to be the fall guy.

But this is as much on the ref. When the flag goes up he has to stop play (according to the rule book)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Agree it was a shocking call but just to throw a spanner- doesn't the touchy raise a flag when he wants to report foul play? The flag doesn't immediately stop play and often it will be quite a time before the ref see him and stops play.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But clearly the ball wasn't in touch. For many years, I've seen touchies lift the flag and run on to report something. Maybe that's no longer in the protocols.

Re the whistle, I'm sure I heard one. In any event, I can't go back to check now... as the recording for the match didn't happen, just the pre game.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Billy Walker wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:47 pm Agree it was a shocking call but just to throw a spanner- doesn't the touchy raise a flag when he wants to report foul play? The flag doesn't immediately stop play and often it will be quite a time before the ref see him and stops play.
As far as I can see, the only time a touchie should raise his flag while the ball is in play is in the event that the ball has gone into touch. I guess in the event of foul play, he can raise it once the ball is no longer in play.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:Agree it was a shocking call but just to throw a spanner- doesn't the touchy raise a flag when he wants to report foul play? The flag doesn't immediately stop play and often it will be quite a time before the ref see him and stops play.
There's nothing in the rules to say a touchy can't raise their flag, because yes that's how you report foul play.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:41 pm If you're absolutely determined to blame the players for this, there's nothing I can do to change your opinion.
And yes, I'd prefer they made the tackles, too. If they had done so, the ref would have gone back for the knock on and I assume we'd have won the game.
But according to the rules of the game, they are not in the wrong here.
And according to common sense, the try should not have been awarded.

No i blame the coach, who has set down a culture and standard of finger pointing. Of unaccountability. Our player stood around pointing at a ref instead of playing footy and stopping a try. This is what happens when there is a culture like ours. Players first reaction is not play the game but to play the officials. That's Stuart's culture, that's his issue to address.

In relation to this specific game, i blame the officials mostly, i think the team selections were poor but i think over the 80 we were the better team and deserved to win. I rarely do it, because i rarely think its legitimate. In this case it is.

I dont care about the flag, i really dont, the flag isnt a whistle. But that try got referred to the VR and there was no evidence to overrule the referees decision of knock on, blatantly incorrect decision from the Bunker. That's 4 (or was it 6?) points
And the Beej pass was not remotely forward, that's 4, if not 6. In a game that ended our season in a 4 point loss
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:51 pm
The tackle is completed and the ball is no longer in play.

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Stupid original post.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:49 pm
Billy Walker wrote:Agree it was a shocking call but just to throw a spanner- doesn't the touchy raise a flag when he wants to report foul play? The flag doesn't immediately stop play and often it will be quite a time before the ref see him and stops play.
There's nothing in the rules to say a touchy can't raise their flag, because yes that's how you report foul play.
The rules clearly show that the only time the flag is to be raised when the ball is in play is in the event that the ball is in touch.

But hell, show me the rules that says' I'm wrong.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:51 pm
The tackle is completed and the ball is no longer in play.
Yes but Ricky Stuart...
Wiggy
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiggy »

What was that YouTube vid suppose to prove? The play clearly stopped?

I honestly have no idea wether it was an argument for or against TR?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Wiggy wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:57 pm What was that YouTube vid suppose to prove? The play clearly stopped?

I honestly have no idea wether it was an argument for or against TR?
I imagine he offered it as a pleasant cinematographic interlude.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL has already admitted the touch judge erred with putting up his flag and the bunker decision is going to be "reviewed".

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32896&p=1607497#p1607488