All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Playing the whistle

Post by Matt »

From the rules of the game

The touch judges cannot stop play but can signal the referee to enable them to assist the referee.[15]
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Captain Punish wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Captain Punish wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Captain Punish wrote:Well, me and the official rules of the touch judges responsibilities. But let's not get into semantics.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
The rulebook says play should be stopped.

The NRL have come out and said that play should have been stopped.

You are wrong. What part of this don't you get?
The rule book states the touchie can lift his flag when the ball goes out of bounds or touch in goal. It didn't do either, so he was out of his depth calling an on field play.

The NRL have gone completely against their own rules and definition in an attempt of damage control, which only opens a larger can of worms. They again have only proven Ricky correct by changing interpretation mid season.

It doesn't matter why or if the touchie should have lifted his flag. Its not for the players to decide if the touchie has made the correct call. He lifted his flag. And as the rulebook states, that's the end of play. The players knew it. The punters know it. The NRL knows it. The only two people on this earth that don't get it are you and pig because in your echo chamber on Facebook you've somehow come to the conclusion that this is Ricky Stuart's fault.
So, you are saying that in every instance of unfair play when the touchie now raises his flag the ref has to immediately stop the run of play and momentum regardless of it being off the ball, to stop, cause the touchie saw something he didn't like?

Rather than now, when they let the play carry on and bring it back after the play dies to check if any foul play occurred?

Like I said, a massive can of worms is now opened by the NRL going against their own rules. It says above that the touchie can only call plays regarding touch or touch in goal. It was neither, so the ref overruled the touchie correctly and allowed the play to carry on as the touchie was obviously having a mental breakdown and thought he was an on field ref and could call onthat.

****. As stated earlier in this thread, the touchie raises his flag and comes in for foul play once play has already stopped, ie the PTB. Are you deliberately being contrary or do you really not get it?How can you possibly not understand this? Image
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Matt wrote:From the rules of the game

The touch judges cannot stop play but can signal the referee to enable them to assist the referee.[15]
Don't bother...
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: July 21, 2018, 11:57 am

Don't bother...
I know.
However, i agree that if i see a flag and hear a ref say knock on, id stop
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

:lol: This argument is hilarious.

You know who didnt stop playing when the flag was raised?

The Sharks.

You know who profited by not stopping?

The Sharks.

You can get into the semantics of the rules all you want and whether the touchie, ref or video ref were wrong or right. But at the end of the day our opponents kept playing, we didnt.

The thing that annoys me the most about this decision is that it happened in this game and not round 1, and you can be sure a huge chunk of our fans will forget about our own poor play and decision making in those early games and blame the entire season on the referees.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote:

Don't bother...
One last time:

The only time a Touchie can raise his flag while the ball is in play is if the ball has gone into touch.

When his flag is up, the referee 'shall' stop play.

It's a definite. It's not negotiable. If the touch judge raises his flag while the ball is in play, the referee must stop play.

This is really very simple.

It's only TW, Pigman and Punish that seem to be running an argument that the players should have somehow known the touchie had made an error and played on.

That's not how it works, folks.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

hobbsy wrote: July 21, 2018, 12:03 pm :lol: This argument is hilarious.

You know who didnt stop playing when the flag was raised?

The Sharks.

You know who profited by not stopping?

The Sharks.

You can get into the semantics of the rules all you want and whether the touchie, ref or video ref were wrong or right. But at the end of the day our opponents kept playing, we didnt.

The thing that annoys me the most about this decision is that it happened in this game and not round 1, and you can be sure a huge chunk of our fans will forget about our own poor play and decision making in those early games and blame the entire season on the referees.
Have you ever taken a blow to your twins ?

I'm hurting here...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Where's the exact wording that says this?

Exact clause please that says "play must stop when the flag is raised for something that blatantly isn't in touch"
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Playing the whistle

Post by gangrenous »

Honestly the correct play by the Raiders in this scenario is also to stand around and let him score. That ensures it’s sent upstairs and the appropriate decision should be made which is no try our ball, or at worst a replay because the touchie signalled in error. If they tackle the player then the referees likely just pretend it didn’t happen. It’s just a shame the Bunker doubled down on sheer stupidity, but stopping in this case is actually the correct play and highlights the farce.

However I will say that it’s still clear our “professional” players do not know the rules of the game (e.g. they only learned about stripping in the act of scoring last night! ) and I doubt they thought about it in that fashion. They just saw the flag and instinctively stopped.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

-TW- wrote:Where's the exact wording that says this?

Exact clause please that says "play must stop when the flag is raised for something that blatantly isn't in touch"
Blatantly isn’t in touch? Wasn’t he about a foot from the touch line? There’s plenty of players who wouldn’t have been certain he wasn’t out?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote:Where's the exact wording that says this?

I posted it last night. If you'd taken a moment to read it and understand it then, we wouldn't still be doing this.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

NRL have today admitted major screw ups. That’s nice
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Which has nothing to do with this.. next

The clause Matt quoted is correct
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The relevant sections are 16.10 and 17.43.

Read them, be big enough to apologise and let's move on.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Having my level 1s, I've read the rulebook enough thanks.
Wiggy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Wiggy »

Just on playing to the whistle...

Last night there was a play where the Cronulla player was clearly held but got up and kept on running.

At the point the player kept on running, there was no whistle but Paps let him run past and kept the mark.

Should Paps be crucified for this? There was no whistle after all
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

You clearly don't understand what you read.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Neither do you..

A touch judge cannot stop play.. you said it yourself

**** me
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote:Neither do you..

**** me
Are you for real?

" When the touch judge's flag is raised, the referee SHALL stop play".

Not may.
Not should.

He must. The flag goes up, play stops.

hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

If the play is stopped, why did the Sharks keep playing?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

T_R wrote:

**** me
Are you for real?

Not may.
Not should.

Arl rules doesn't say that anywhere
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Ok, TR
So the Ref should stop the play, but he didn’t because he recognised the touch judge did not raise his flag for the ball going into touch, but rather he was acknowledging the knock on.

So the touchie incorrectly raised his flag, that’s our first problem, one we all agree on,

But the play is not over at that point, that’s not the rule, the rule is that it’s a signal to the on field official that the play should be stopped. So in that respect, I was wrong when I said the ref did not have to stop the play. He does by rule. I was right when I said the touch judge cannot stop play.

So the second error is the on field official not stopping the play.

But now we are here, TR. The touchie screwed up, the on field official screws up and the play is ongoing, no whistle is blown... this is my problem. Things happen an are here now and we have 3 players, maybe 4 who have a chance to make a tackle and stop a try. I struggle to believe we want them to stand around waiting for the call. We want the attitude to be better than that don’t we?

And instead of controlling what they can control, and making the tackle, rendering this entire fiasco as a near moss, they instead stand around gesturing, instead of just playing footy.

Now that’s OUR error. We need to own our part in that. We have complete control over that. This sort of thing doesn’t happen to the Storm because they’d have made the tackle and let the refs sort it out after the play. Not us. Not with our culture of finger pointing. We’d rather play to the officials to beg for a call than to make a play and remove all doubt
That’s indicitive of this team, of this clubs culture, and it cost us here.
Playing the whistle is day 1 of u6’s footy. Officials are going to **** up and when they do, you can stand around arguing it til your blue in the face or you can play footy. The good teams play footy, the bad teams get bitten on the ****

And we do this all the time. There is barely a set of six that goes by where one of our guys isn’t seen making some complaints to the officials begging for a call
It impacts our ruck, our line speed and our on field credibility

Now, to the final mistake
The video referee. Overturning the call without justification. Again, we all agree this was a gross error

So we have 4 errors, 3 by officials and one by us. And one by us is the only thing we can control and had the ability to render the other mistakes meaningless
But we compound their mistakes with our own. We should own role in this.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

hobbsy wrote:If the play is stopped, why did the Sharks keep playing?
If the Sharks take peptides do they become legal?

**** is this what passes for logic with the kids these days?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You’re being a fruitcake pigman. The Raiders see a signal by an official which MUST lead to the stop of play. I don’t care whether the ref blows the whistle off, the play MUST stop they’re entitled to stop.

In a normal game if the touchie put his flag up and then we dog shotted a player not expecting it because a whistle hadn’t been blown they’d be suspended.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

hobbsy wrote: July 21, 2018, 12:35 pm If the play is stopped, why did the Sharks keep playing?
Actually only one of them did. The guy who had his back to the touchy and didn’t see the flag go up.

Flag goes up, play stops. NRL the admitted the error.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Pigman now arguing that the Storm would have kept playing and made the tackle.

Cameron Smith is one of the most notable players ever to have played the game, who stops before the ref blows his whistle and Smith calls the decision himself to pressure the ref.

The good thing for Cameron Smith, is that the refs usually agree with him and the decision Smith calls.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

gangrenous wrote: July 21, 2018, 12:42 pm
hobbsy wrote:If the play is stopped, why did the Sharks keep playing?
If the Sharks take peptides do they become legal?

**** is this what passes for logic with the kids these days?
You are missing the logic here. The referee decision was incorrect, no doubt there, but the Sharks player kept going, because the referee had not definitively stopped the play. He should have, but he didn't, the Sharks took advantage and won the game. Smart teams do these things. It's been winning championships in every sport since they began.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Northern Raider wrote: July 21, 2018, 12:51 pm
hobbsy wrote: July 21, 2018, 12:35 pm If the play is stopped, why did the Sharks keep playing?
Actually only one of them did. The guy who had his back to the touchy and didn’t see the flag go up.

Flag goes up, play stops. NRL the admitted the error.
Yes. It was an error.

I wonder what sort of a device a referee could use to let players who may not see a signal know that the play has stopped?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote:
T_R wrote:

**** me
Are you for real?

Not may.
Not should.

S16.10

I've now listed it 4 times, and I think that's enough.

You're clearly a referee in the finest traditions of the NRL **** show.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Could you please direct TW to this admission, please.

You may have to do it 4 times.

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Pigman wrote:It’s never worried me fighting popular GH opinion regarding refereeing matters before
Why would it bother me now?

The Lucy factor is balanced out by the Dubby factor ;)

Now if Manbush comes in and expressed his support for my view point, then all bets are off
Oh thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Isn't the biggest concern that the bunker made a wrong call, and over ruled the correct on field decision?

Refs boss on MMM admitted they got it wrong, btw.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: July 21, 2018, 1:25 pm Isn't the biggest concern that the bunker made a wrong call, and over ruled the correct on field decision?
For me it is.
The bunker issue is on going. It’s a fiasco. They just can’t get the basics right here
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

T_R wrote:
-TW- wrote:
T_R wrote:

**** me
Are you for real?

Not may.
Not should.

S16.10

I've now listed it 4 times, and I think that's enough.

You're clearly a referee in the finest traditions of the NRL **** show.
Oh **** me.. in relation to touch and touch in goal

This had 2/5ths of **** all to do with that..

He **** up raising the flag, that's as clear as day
Last edited by -TW- on July 21, 2018, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Yeah the touch judge seems to be copping it the worst but the touchie made the right call at least. The bunker overruling the correct on field decision is the much bigger crime.