Well done gents

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

papabear
Steve Walters

Well done gents

Post by papabear »

Top effort from the boys, there are plenty of threads to be critical but really they dug in, played against so much adversity and kept on believing the result would come.

Special mention to Leilua / Rapana / Cotric / Hodgson / Williams absolute specials out there.

Didn't take the two points but I thought easily the best side out there.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Well Done Gents

Post by Pete Cash »

I don't think we were fantastic or anything (particularly in the first half) but I will say this : in very recent history this is the type of game where we would have just melted down and completely lost the plot. They did mostly keep their heads (backchat penalty at the death being the only real lapse in discipline but hey whitehead was just telling it how it is)
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Well done for the 2nd half
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Well done to BJ and Rapana mostly.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

brave, excellent commitment

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I agree, we were really gritty tonight and just kept going, even when it was obvious we wouldn't be allowed to win.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

We did alright, considering. A couple of unfortunate knock-ons (Abbey, Oldfield) but it was a top effort. Especially given the penalty county/non-forward pass calls/non-stripping calls in the first half. Murchie was pretty good I thought. Lui was good. I saw at least eight worse play-the-ball efforts than his (and yes, I was counting). Thank god Williams won the "kick-off".
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Well done gents

Post by greeneyed »

The Raiders were ill disciplined and made far too many errors in the first half... and had lost the game by half time. There were some dreadful refereeing calls in the second half, but the players must surely know by now, that they have to be better than the poor calls... which are inevitable and happen in every game. They have to be better than the refereeing calls that go against them. It was a good comeback... but it was not enough to offset a very poor first half from the team.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:05 pm The Raiders were ill disciplined and made far too many errors in the first half... and had lost the game by half time. There were some dreadful refereeing calls in the second half, but the players must surely know by now, that they have to be better than the poor calls... which are inevitable and happen in every game. They have to be better than the refereeing calls that go against them. It was a good comeback... but it was not enough to offset a very poor first half from the team.
As a rule you should be better. As a topic for THIS match the reffing **** us from both ends.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote: and had lost the game by half time.
Given what transpired that’s just factually wrong.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I agree with GE. The refereeing was and has been for sometime a shambles, but we too often are the team where we have to look to the refereeing, or some other external factor, as the reason we lost. It may have been tonight but we've blown more than our fair share of opportunities this year to be entrenched in the top 4. In fact the last 2 years. We have to be good enough to overcome the crap that comes our way.

And I agree with the original sentiment of this thread.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: July 20, 2018, 10:39 pm
greeneyed wrote: and had lost the game by half time.
Given what transpired that’s just factually wrong.
How so? The Raiders lost the game.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

They pretty clearly were right in the game and arguably should have won.

Therefore the game was not lost at half time.
zilhouse
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Alan tongue

Post by zilhouse »

They played well tonight and deserved the win.

If there isnt a **** over this game and some kind of reimbursement for the raiders something is off
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We have to take the line that no match is lost due to officiating. That is the culture we need. We don't have it. And it doesn't look like we'll have it for some time.

The fans can debate this sort of thing all they like. But the team, coaching staff, the club, they can't buy into this sort of stuff. It is a sure way to ensure they don't take accountability for their performances. And they can't just say... "we're taking accountability"... while complaining about the calls. Which is what the Raiders do.

They have to buy in. They have to accept that NOTHING the referees ever do influences the result. I have become a complete believer in this. It is because the Raiders can't ever do anything about the referees... except get them off side, by complaining. So, no point complaining about their decisions. The Raiders must take the view that they'll win regardless of the things outside their control. At the moment, they don't believe or accept it. They just give lip service to the idea. That HAS to change. There HAS to be fundamental culture change on this.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Well done gents

Post by LastRaider »

Hodgson as Captain I think had something to do with us hanging in until the end. Having your Captain in the middle of the field makes a huge difference

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

LastRaider wrote:Hodgson as Captain I think had something to do with us hanging in until the end. Having your Captain in the middle of the field makes a huge difference

Really?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: July 20, 2018, 9:05 pm The Raiders were ill disciplined and made far too many errors in the first half... and had lost the game by half time. There were some dreadful refereeing calls in the second half, but the players must surely know by now, that they have to be better than the poor calls... which are inevitable and happen in every game. They have to be better than the refereeing calls that go against them. It was a good comeback... but it was not enough to offset a very poor first half from the team.
Agreed.
We showed some heart at the end but that first half? Man. Awful
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: July 21, 2018, 12:00 am We have to take the line that no match is lost due to officiating. That is the culture we need. We don't have it. And it doesn't look like we'll have it for some time.

The fans can debate this sort of thing all they like. But the team, coaching staff, the club, they can't buy into this sort of stuff. It is a sure way to ensure they don't take accountability for their performances. And they can't just say... "we're taking accountability"... while complaining about the calls. Which is what the Raiders do.

They have to buy in. They have to accept that NOTHING the referees ever do influences the result. I have become a complete believer in this. It is because the Raiders can't ever do anything about the referees... except get them off side, by complaining. So, no point complaining about their decisions. The Raiders must take the view that they'll win regardless of the things outside their control. At the moment, they don't believe or accept it. They just give lip service to the idea. That HAS to change. There HAS to be fundamental culture change on this.
Yes. This.
Every word of this.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm proud of the 17 blokes who wear our jersey every single week.

This current bunch needs a bit of fine tuning.

Yes..last nights refereeing was bog but we need to be better than that.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Pigman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: July 21, 2018, 12:00 am We have to take the line that no match is lost due to officiating. That is the culture we need. We don't have it. And it doesn't look like we'll have it for some time.

Yes. This.
Every word of this.
Austin leaving will help this change. BJ, Rapa and Whitehead need to work on this the most unfortunately

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If we had 17 BJs and Rapas we would win plenty of games. They carried the team last night and not for the first time this year.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The old cliche 'it was a game of two halves' rang true in this one Papa. I thought our defensive intensity was down at the start of the match culminating in the Fifita try. The lead up was Abbey dropping a bomb which led to Rapa slowing the play and being sin binned. But the Sharks second try came after Rapa was back on and down our defensive right. Once again we were disorganised on our right. We got a try back to Abbey off a BJ pass and seemed to be settling into the game when Holmes got one on one with Oldfield. Holmes gets bagged by some, but I reckon he is a top notch attacking player and his right foot step was too good for Oldfield for a try. At 18-6 all is not lost but then Abbey throws a forward pass to Rapa. They win the scrum and Wade Graham powers through Abbey who is not strong enough to hold him out, but I think Cotric would have been. The selection of Abbey at fullback proved to be a clanger in a must win match.

But in the second half I agree with everything you said.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

1) You can't say we were easily the best side, when we were completely outplayed, outcoached and bent over for the entire first half
2) If you let in more than 20 points in a game, it's very hard to win. More than 20 in a half and you are pushing **** firmly up a hill
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Pigman wrote: July 21, 2018, 6:56 am

Yes. This.
Every word of this.
Further, if we didn't **** the bed so many countless times in other matches this year that we should have won, then we wouldn't be in this desperate position for our season to begin with
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

CJ42 wrote:
LastRaider wrote:Hodgson as Captain I think had something to do with us hanging in until the end. Having your Captain in the middle of the field makes a huge difference

Really?
Nah, just trying to justify an untenable anti-Croker agenda.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

While I agree that there needs to be more accountability and less ref-blaming in general at our club, last night is absolutely NOT the game to be getting high and mighty about it. Did we play garbage in the first half? Yup - not helped by a 5-1 penalty count at half time and at least one Sharks try that came from Bateman being blatantly stripped but ruled to "knock on".

We played outstanding footy to catch up and be in a great position in the second half. The Sharks were then gifted a try by the incompetent officials and we were denied one - one we actually scored - because of same incompetent officials. Then at the end when we had an opportunity, we were denied possession because of the incompetent officials.

Now, if the Sharks try was disallowed and ours was, do we still win? Maybe we do, maybe we don't. Our record isn't good when we lead late in the game. But we were denied the chance to find out, and now the NRL is going to try and do a squirm job to get away from admitting how dreadfully incompetent - or actively corrupt - their officials are.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Totally agree with every word.

It is one of the reasons I don’t like talking about refs much in GH Live. It gets boring if we just talk about the refs all night.

Having said that last night I reckon a couple of calls changed the game.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I disagree we we ill disciplined in the first half. Too many errors - totally agree with that, but I thought Rapa was probably a bit unlucky to get 10 early and we defended pretty well for the most of it. We just gave up ball in the wrong spots and the Sharks were very good to capitalise.

I reckon our attitude was really good from the first minute. At half time I actually didn’t think we had played that bad.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

edwahu wrote: July 21, 2018, 7:10 am If we had 17 BJs and Rapas we would win plenty of games. They carried the team last night and not for the first time this year.
Can you imagine the game having 8 or 9 BJ's when he has his brain explosions
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

8 or 9 BJ's would definitely give me lots of brain explosions.

Oh you meant him.

And yeah, I agree with GE again. 2016 we still had some shocking reffing I am sure but we were good enough to rise above it. Right now we aren't.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Azza wrote: July 21, 2018, 9:37 am 8 or 9 BJ's would definitely give me lots of brain explosions.

Oh you meant him.

And yeah, I agree with GE again. 2016 we still had some shocking reffing I am sure but we were good enough to rise above it. Right now we aren't.
2016 we for the most part were very disciplined and played great attacking football. That resulted in us getting the most penalties our way of any side in the comp.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BJ has been pretty good with his brain explosions this year. Maybe 2 costly ones. His defense still stinks but without him last night we dont get close.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Azza wrote:8 or 9 BJ's would definitely give me lots of brain explosions.

Oh you meant him.

I don’t think that’s right at all. Once we strung a few wins together the refs started expecting us to win and be dominant, and we got more calls our way imo.

Shouldn’t be like that, but it is.
creevy
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: chris osullivan

Post by creevy »

All sides have good luck and bad luck through a season. Fact is it mostly balances out and if you are good enough you get top 8 or top 4. Most of the Raiders bad luck (losses) have been through their own game management. Fact is we are a 9,10 team that could be better. Don't see things getting much better next year but who knows, players will come for money, so maybe we might get lucky with some that the others can't fit in. Would love to see the NRL manage contracts hand in hand with the clubs. Especially the extra thing that clubs get through player sponsorship. Cap it at 1 million for every club and if clubs like the Raiders can't compete with the broncos, storm an roosters, then the NRL kick in. Nothing will change in the next 10 years unless there is a fair system for clubs like the raiders to compete in the player market.
Gerry De La Cruz