17%
Cowboys 13+
No votes

Total votes: 6

LastRaider
John Ferguson

2018 Rd 18 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

Well it was probably our best game all season. As much as I am going to get slammed here, the side was better without Croker on the field. The team just looked stronger and more physical in the defence on the edges. Austin filled in well and seams to be playing with more confidence since the weight has been lifted of his shoulders of playing 6 and of course the contract saga. I think I would like to see Austin start at fullback and Cotric to centre. Cotric played really well but I think he is more of a centre over a full back. Players of his caliber though can play anywhere.

Papilii’s game was huge, he would have to be the best forward in the game at the moment on form. Knocked out 170m against a physical cowboys forward pack and held the middle defensively well.

Hodgson controlled proceedings again and Williams and Sezar combined well together. We just need to strengthen our bench a bit for next week. When the first changes came on, we lost our way a little there in the middle. I think Bateman wasn’t the right decision at the time to come on.

Looking forward to next week. Cronulla is going to be a real test - Are we contenders or pretenders?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2018 Rd 18 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by -PJ- »

-PJ- wrote: July 11, 2018, 2:30 pm 7-30pm kickoff.

It should be supa dupa chilly for the tropical Cows.

We got this.
JT was feeling the cold... :thumbsup
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders on the rise but Jarrod Croker could be sidelined for remainder of 2018

They kept their faint finals hopes alive for another week, but if Canberra want to keep playing past round 25 their run to the post-season might be without their inspirational skipper Jarrod Croker.

"It was disappointing losing our captain, I don't know the extent of it, but it doesn't look real good," Canberra coach Ricky Stuart said. "I suppose the medicos will be able to explain it better, but they need to look at why the kneecap keeps popping out, so hopefully it's not too bad and doesn't need an operation, if it does then it's season-ending."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/14/rai ... r-of-2018/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raiders666 wrote: July 15, 2018, 6:22 am
Seiffert82 wrote: July 14, 2018, 9:28 pm Ok, we got this now.

Cotric to centre next week. Who goes to FB? Is Abbey available?
Wont happen but I'd go Rapana
Yeah that'd be unlikely.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Warriors have a harder draw and play us so we have an opportunity for a 4 point swing. Plus our for and against is better.if Broncos win today then we only need to win one extra game then the kiwis and beat them in the last game.
Dare I say it but that is entirely possible.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sid wrote: July 14, 2018, 10:09 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:When was the last time we conceded zero dropouts to the Cowboys? 1976?
Sounds legit.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

LastRaider wrote: July 15, 2018, 6:37 am Well it was probably our best game all season. As much as I am going to get slammed here, the side was better without Croker on the field. The team just looked stronger and more physical in the defence on the edges. Austin filled in well and seams to be playing with more confidence since the weight has been lifted of his shoulders of playing 6 and of course the contract saga. I think I would like to see Austin start at fullback and Cotric to centre. Cotric played really well but I think he is more of a centre over a full back. Players of his caliber though can play anywhere.

Papilii’s game was huge, he would have to be the best forward in the game at the moment on form. Knocked out 170m against a physical cowboys forward pack and held the middle defensively well.

Hodgson controlled proceedings again and Williams and Sezar combined well together. We just need to strengthen our bench a bit for next week. When the first changes came on, we lost our way a little there in the middle. I think Bateman wasn’t the right decision at the time to come on.

Looking forward to next week. Cronulla is going to be a real test - Are we contenders or pretenders?

I think the Cowboys threw in the towel towards the end. But it was ironic that a noted defensive liability like Austin put more shots on his opposing centre in 60 minutes than Croker would all year.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
LastRaider wrote: July 15, 2018, 6:37 am Well it was probably our best game all season. As much as I am going to get slammed here, the side was better without Croker on the field. The team just looked stronger and more physical in the defence on the edges. Austin filled in well and seams to be playing with more confidence since the weight has been lifted of his shoulders of playing 6 and of course the contract saga. I think I would like to see Austin start at fullback and Cotric to centre. Cotric played really well but I think he is more of a centre over a full back. Players of his caliber though can play anywhere.

I think the Cowboys threw in the towel towards the end. But it was ironic that a noted defensive liability like Austin put more shots on his opposing centre in 60 minutes than Croker would all year.
Yeah he did and his carries were really strong especially coming out of our 20. Had that zip and the physicality to push the defence.

I agree with the cows giving in, something the Raiders haven’t been able to do to an opposition in a long time. Generally teams believe if they hang in they will get us at the end. It was nice to see for once

yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 14, 2018, 10:28 pm
yurithe1 wrote: July 14, 2018, 10:09 pm I've had to contain myself before posting.

However, **** YOU NRL administration and the miserable foul-mouthed abomination that got posted to Canberra from FNQ and bitched about the place in front of me and their former CO. Guess what? He couldn't remember them and admitted he regretted starting up conversation with them the I asked who that was. Burn in Hell or be posted to the Middle East again, LMFAO.
🤷🏻‍♂️ anyone else confused as to what this means?
It means I should check where I'm posting and probably have one less beer before doing so.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

-TW- wrote: July 14, 2018, 10:37 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
yurithe1 wrote: July 14, 2018, 10:09 pm I've had to contain myself before posting.

However, **** YOU NRL administration and the miserable foul-mouthed abomination that got posted to Canberra from FNQ and bitched about the place in front of me and their former CO. Guess what? He couldn't remember them and admitted he regretted starting up conversation with them the I asked who that was. Burn in Hell or be posted to the Middle East again, LMFAO.
I was disappointed we didn't get the non-contained version. There is some good passion there ... about...something?
a lot more stars I'm guessing

Also can't decode, maybe it's the beer talking ellaahshsaoqeha
You're half right. I was posting to the wrong forum as well. D'oh!

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

yurithe1 wrote: July 15, 2018, 10:46 am

It means I should check where I'm posting and probably have one less beer before doing so.
But you just can't leave us hanging like that!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

raiderskater wrote: July 15, 2018, 10:51 am
yurithe1 wrote: July 15, 2018, 10:46 am

However, **** YOU NRL administration and the miserable foul-mouthed abomination that got posted to Canberra from FNQ and bitched about the place in front of me and their former CO. Guess what? He couldn't remember them and admitted he regretted starting up conversation with them when I asked who that was. Burn in Hell or be posted to the Middle East again, LMFAO.
But you just can't leave us hanging like that!
It's all to do with one really obnoxious Cowboys fan who managed to badly colour my opinion of the team sometime back in the late noughties. It only comes out when Thurstin gets treated like a protected species or they play us.

I'm pretty sure I exorcised that little "demon" out of my system last night and can watch Cowboys games as if they were any other team again (apart from Titans, Manly, Roosters and Knights. Man, they piss me off).

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Kryptonite wrote: July 14, 2018, 9:26 pm This defence on our line is what will get us to the finals
100% agree with your comments on goal line defence Kryptonite. In previous games where we have been run down at the back end, we conceded a succession of tries. In this case the Raiders kept their line intact due to some wonderful efforts and in particular from Nic Cotric amongst others. So impressive was he defensively I would not move him from the No1. I know the easy move would be to put him at Center but we are coming up against 3 finals contenders away in the next 3 weeks. I don't know of anyone in our Club who would do the goal line defensive work which will be required, better than Nic Cotric. To me it is not all about scoring tries, we can do that, it is about stopping them as well and Nic Cotric is the best we have to perform that vital role.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Agreed Crotic saved a couple of tries last night and moving him really weakens this. I just am not confident in Austin next to Sammy. It worked ok last night. But with a week for the sharks to work moves against this defensive I am not sure it will hold up.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

kona_dream wrote:Agreed Crotic saved a couple of tries last night and moving him really weakens this. I just am not confident in Austin next to Sammy. It worked ok last night. But with a week for the sharks to work moves against this defensive I am not sure it will hold up.
Yep Austin to fullback. When Austin has to much time to think when defending that is when he makes mistakes, but as fullback it’s more instinctive and fits his approach

raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

I notice alphabet soup is still not around!

Rewatching the game today...oh no, I just got to the first moment of Darkness. Our poor skipper on the ground.

I noticed on this rewatch that several of the lads came by to check on him, give him a reassuring pat and word.

Anasta is a bit of nostradamus here: "I think they're being optimistic here, but I can't see him lasting too long." I'll count and see how long it was before it went to pieces entirely.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Okay, the second and worst moment of darkness occurs with 10 minutes remaining in the half, the first happened with 33 minutes left in the half, so Croker managed to play on it for twenty three minutes.

I hope those twenty three minutes didn't make it worse.

raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

I just timed Oldfield's run. He did approx 98m in about 12.3 seconds, which includes his slow start and slow down at the end. Wonder how quick he is over 100m at top speed?

KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by KingDynamite »

Can we just all take a moment to be thankful that last nights game was not called by Matt Nable.

Matt Nable and Steve Roach might just be worse than the commentators we had for our trial match.
AJL
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by AJL »

KingDynamite wrote: July 15, 2018, 1:15 pm Can we just all take a moment to be thankful that last nights game was not called by Matt Nable.

Matt Nable and Steve Roach might just be worse than the commentators we had for our trial match.
Nable is just awful.
Canberra Raiders
Member No. 1130

Breeding Raiders members since 2010
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

kona_dream wrote: July 15, 2018, 11:49 am Agreed Crotic saved a couple of tries last night and moving him really weakens this. I just am not confident in Austin next to Sammy. It worked ok last night. But with a week for the sharks to work moves against this defensive I am not sure it will hold up.
Austin would still be on the bench for mine kona_dream. Two games off the bench produced 2 better performances from him. Keep that going and stick with Nic Cotric in the No.1.

I am sure this will be howled down, but I would go for a debutant. I watched Sebastian Kris in the U/20s and he was excellent defensively. He is a fair size too and has been playing with Mounties against men this year. Neither of his likely opponents for next weeks match, Ricky Leutele or Jesse Ramien are huge, so I don't think he will be out muscled. He has good speed and doesn't seem to get flustered. Ricky took a punt on Nic Cotric last year and came up trumps. I would like to see the same opportunity given to Sebastian Kris.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seb Kris is not ready for first grade IMO. He's only played a couple of NSW Premiership matches. He's been a bit variable in lower grades too. Big talent with a good future though.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Let's have some fun, get Cotric on the ball, Leilua and his brain out of it :)

1. Leilua
2. Rapana
3. Cotric
4. Moceidreke
5. Oldfield
6. Williams
7. Sezer
8. Lui
9. Hodgson
10. Paulo
11. Soliola
12. Whitehead
13. Papa

14. Austin
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

RedRaider wrote:
kona_dream wrote: July 15, 2018, 11:49 am Agreed Crotic saved a couple of tries last night and moving him really weakens this. I just am not confident in Austin next to Sammy. It worked ok last night. But with a week for the sharks to work moves against this defensive I am not sure it will hold up.
Austin would still be on the bench for mine kona_dream. Two games off the bench produced 2 better performances from him. Keep that going and stick with Nic Cotric in the No.1.
I agree RR, Austin is best off the bench and the last two games has shown this. He's great for covering any injury in the backs (eg this week) or for coming on as an impact player (eg last week).

I had a feeling that Cotrics game/scoring streak would come to an end last night while playing fullback.

Not sure who'd do better at the back - him or Rapana, but I think both would do the job well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by GreenGirl »

Billy Walker wrote: July 14, 2018, 10:30 pm I was eagerly awaiting Greengirls post game wrap but clearly she's gone one cosmo too many and that can't end well...
Not as many as last week, however, I now believe the rest of the season relies on me drinking my cosmos watching the game (just joking, kinda, but not really, ha!).

My thoughts:

- Cotric is a boy wonder - he might not have the ball playing that Wighton has sometimes shown, but his defence was far and away better.

- Austin seemed like he had the world lifted off his shoulders - all he had to do was run the ball and react. I heard him on Triple M today too, and he said he was happy to play anywhere next week and mentioned Abbey should be back.

- Papa is the best forward in the game at the moment, and it's so good to see after how he started the year.

- Joey's talking to at the video session last week seemed to work - no brain snaps, did his job. It's a double edged sword - he seems to pull out the miracle plays when he has the brain snaps going, but they are usually too costly to overcome.

- Sezer should kick from now on, even if Captain C makes it back this year.

- Rapa being back gives us a huge boost in attack, and with him and Oldfield (I hope he stays) we are in good nick on the wings.

So in conclusion - I shall keep drinking cosmos every game (until the spell is broken) and keep faith that maybe, just maybe we might still make the eight - especially if we build on how we played last night.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Even if Abbey is in the team next week, Cotric needs to stay at fullback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

AJL wrote: July 15, 2018, 1:21 pm
KingDynamite wrote: July 15, 2018, 1:15 pm Can we just all take a moment to be thankful that last nights game was not called by Matt Nable.

Nable is just awful.
It's almost enough to force a man back to Nine's coverage
He's legitimately awful, i watch the game on mute
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He's gonna score here!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

GreenGirl wrote: July 15, 2018, 6:35 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 14, 2018, 10:30 pm I was eagerly awaiting Greengirls post game wrap but clearly she's gone one cosmo too many and that can't end well...
Not as many as last week, however, I now believe the rest of the season relies on me drinking my cosmos watching the game (just joking, kinda, but not really, ha!).

My thoughts:

- Cotric is a boy wonder - he might not have the ball playing that Wighton has sometimes shown, but his defence was far and away better.

- Austin seemed like he had the world lifted off his shoulders - all he had to do was run the ball and react. I heard him on Triple M today too, and he said he was happy to play anywhere next week and mentioned Abbey should be back.

- Papa is the best forward in the game at the moment, and it's so good to see after how he started the year.

- Joey's talking to at the video session last week seemed to work - no brain snaps, did his job. It's a double edged sword - he seems to pull out the miracle plays when he has the brain snaps going, but they are usually too costly to overcome.

- Rapa being back gives us a huge boost in attack, and with him and Oldfield (I hope he stays) we are in good nick on the wings.

So in conclusion - I shall keep drinking cosmos every game (until the spell is broken) and keep faith that maybe, just maybe we might still make the eight - especially if we build on how we played last night.
A good analysis and agree with the points you make but not nearly as amusing as your previous report while still under the effect of Cosmopolitans. I feel cheated with this 'next day' report...
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

RTW wrote: July 15, 2018, 7:32 am Warriors have a harder draw and play us so we have an opportunity for a 4 point swing. Plus our for and against is better.if Broncos win today then we only need to win one extra game then the kiwis and beat them in the last game.
Dare I say it but that is entirely possible.
But the Warriors beat the Broncos
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by GreenGirl »

Billy Walker wrote: July 15, 2018, 11:55 pm

My thoughts:

A good analysis and agree with the points you make but not nearly as amusing as your previous report while still under the effect of Cosmopolitans. I feel cheated with this 'next day' report...
I’ll try and do better next game - shouldn’t be too hard since it’s a Friday night game and this week at work will be quite the week so i’ll need at least 4 cosmos.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

GreenGirl wrote: July 16, 2018, 7:20 am
Billy Walker wrote: July 15, 2018, 11:55 pm

My thoughts:

I’ll try and do better next game - shouldn’t be too hard since it’s a Friday night game and this week at work will be quite the week so i’ll need at least 4 cosmos.
Excellent! I hope my eager anticipation doesn't cause the week to drag too slowly!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roaming Reporter: Elliott Whitehead: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/07 ... whitehead/

Rd 18 In the sheds: Michael Oldfield: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/07 ... -oldfield/

Round 18 In the sheds: Sam Williams: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/07 ... -williams/

Round 18 play of the week: Blake Austin: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/07 ... ke-austin/

By the numbers: Raiders v Cowboys: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/07 ... v-cowboys/

Vote Now: Man of the Match Round 18: http://greenroomdigital.snapforms.com.a ... ek-round18

Pre-Game performance: Bom Funk Dance Studio: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/07 ... ce-studio/