Bulldogs 13+
27%

Total votes: 11

Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Re: 2018 Rd 17 V Bulldogs: Game Day

Post by Green Taipan »

gangrenous wrote: July 8, 2018, 5:34 pm Can I request that we save our luck to win games in a season that counts?
Yes, it's very disappointing. The Brisbane game (and the other games where they meekly capitulated in the last few minutes) was where the heroics from Austin and the rest of the team were desperately needed. Raider's season now over with the Donkeys' win today! FGS, can the Board pls sack Ricky and find some one who can actually coach at the NRL level. This degree of ineptitude is embarrassing and not a good look for brand CBR or Huawei!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
GreenGuy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by GreenGuy »

Amazing comeback, great win against a side that were switched on and ready for a battle.

What stood out for me apart from the obvious was Havilli giving away a penalty on the first play of the second half which had us on the back foot for the majority of the rest of the game.

It was then Havilli's one on one strip that gave us an opportunity to win.

Poetic, and sums us, our mentality and the coaching up to a tee me thinks.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

gangrenous wrote: July 7, 2018, 9:58 pm I have a theory. My theory is that the Raiders are actually far and away the best team in the comp who can score at will at any moment. But what they’ve realised is that they can become fabulously wealthy by setting up impossible scenarios and gambling on the outcomes...

It’s surely the only theory that fits the evidence this year! ImageImageImage
Im sure a few punters have worked this out.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Boomercm wrote: July 7, 2018, 10:59 pm
RedRaider wrote: July 7, 2018, 10:49 pm I seen it, but I don't believe it. Always happy to collect 2 competition points. It keeps our slim hopes alive for season 2018. But it was a last gasp win against the side running 3rd last in the comp and against a Club that has been neutered due to poor administration. Where was this effort last week when it would have counted more for our season?

Injury to Abbey and Boyd. Suspension likely for Tapine. Paulo playing like he didn't want to be there. If he moves any slower he will earn the nickname 'Sundial'. I'll have to watch the highlights but I had the impression Sezer was involved in each of the last 3 tries.

On to the Cowboys at home next week. A weakened and depleted side up against the two JT's. Season on the line. Go Raiders.
This is the first post i've read tonight. I have no idea how you could produce a summary of the last 3 tries, and mention Sezer but not Austin. Apologies if you've posted earlier and I missed it.
A single sentence with a caveat is a summary? ... ok. Of the final 3 tries, Sezer had no involvement in the Austin try. That was Hodgo to Austin who stepped through the Bulldogs for the try. The second last try, Sezer put Austin into a hole and he made good ground. From subsequent plays Sezer got the ball and gave the final pass to Tapine who crashed over for the try. On the last match winning try, Sezer gave the ball to Tapine who passed it on to BJ who crashed over to seal the win. So Sezer was involved in the last 2 tries of the final 6 minutes, not all three.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I agree with Sticky's description of the Raiders play. We were awful for most of the match and so were the Dogs. It was like park footy a lot of the time. It is little wonder both sides are also rans this season with defensive performances like that.

Having said that, all we could do was win to take the 2 competition points on offer. The side did that.

If Rapa should be available next week I would definitely put Cotric into Fullback in the absence of Jack and Abbey. Hopefully Papa comes through Origin unscathed. Injury to Boyd is the only thing that would save Paulo's selection imo. Lacklustre is the mildest word for Paulo's performance against the dogs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

By the numbers: Raiders v Bulldogs: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/07 ... -bulldogs/

Vote Now: Man of the Match Round 17: http://greenroomdigital.snapforms.com.a ... ek-round17

Gallery: Raiders silence Belmore crowd: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/07 ... ore-crowd/

Team song: Raiders v Bulldogs: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/07 ... -bulldogs/

Round 17 play of the week: Blake Austin: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/07 ... ke-austin/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

How the hell is Junior Paulo on that Man of the Match list?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

AUDIO: Canberra Raiders Blake Austin speaks about the win over the Bulldogs

Audio: https://soundcloud.com/abc_grandstand/s ... m=twitter‬
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: July 9, 2018, 11:37 am How the hell is Junior Paulo on that Man of the Match list?
Beats me.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

zim wrote:How the hell is Junior Paulo on that Man of the Match list?
Did he even play?
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

zim wrote: July 9, 2018, 11:37 am How the hell is Junior Paulo on that Man of the Match list?
The person making it must have been drunk. It's the only explanation.

I voted Croker. No doubt Austin had an impact on the game, but Croker kept us in the game before that happened.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rothfield saying on NRL 360 saying he spoke to Ricky Stuart today about the behaviour of Joey Leilua after the winning try... and claims that Ricky Stuart opened the video session today with it and said he didn’t want to see something like that again. I’m glad, because it was unacceptable behaviour.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:Rothfield saying on NRL 360 saying he spoke to Ricky Stuart today about the behaviour of Joey Leilua after the winning try... and claims that Ricky Stuart opened the video session today with it and said he didn’t want to see something like that again. I’m glad, because it was unacceptable behaviour.
Joey is a hot head and has incredibly poor self control. But the Morris boys contributed to that. As did their PNG backrower. They carved Joey up that night and let him know it.

Joey went over the top in his celebration, which is disappointing because he's been fairly good in controlling his emotions this year.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

greeneyed wrote:Rothfield saying on NRL 360 saying he spoke to Ricky Stuart today about the behaviour of Joey Leilua after the winning try... and claims that Ricky Stuart opened the video session today with it and said he didn’t want to see something like that again. I’m glad, because it was unacceptable behaviour.
Although I 100% agree with this. My wife and I laughed for like 2 minutes at that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

greeneyed wrote: July 9, 2018, 6:46 pm Rothfield saying on NRL 360 saying he spoke to Ricky Stuart today about the behaviour of Joey Leilua after the winning try... and claims that Ricky Stuart opened the video session today with it and said he didn’t want to see something like that again. I’m glad, because it was unacceptable behaviour.
Good work Stick
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

But Joey was coping it from a Martin after he kicked a penalty goal to put them 14 in front, carrying on pointing a hand gun at him and mouthing off as they were going back to the kick off. Something like that is obviously going to trigger off someone like BJ.
If you want to dish it out be prepared to cop it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Buzz needs to be more concerned with his idiotic attitude towards origin

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I can see why people would be against what Beej did after scoring the match winner... but i watch sport in large part to be entertained. Im herefor all the petty **** talk, i've seen on FB and by posters here apparently the dogs were getting stuck in Beej, and rightly so, he had had a stinker... but if you want to poke the beast and he **** all over your stupid **** face in the final minute, im cool with him letting them know about it, with interest.

Jalen Ramsey and Joel Embiid are basically my favourite athletes right now because they are unapologetic **** talkers.

Beej can talk as much **** as he **** likes, so long as it's not directed towards officials that result in penalties and sin bins
Last edited by Botman on July 10, 2018, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

If it was the case that Joey was giving as good as he got, then I couldn’t give a stuff what he said to them after winning the game.. they deserved it. And it was **** hilarious to watch him carry on.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders should be better than that. That's not the Raiders way.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

If it high stakes finals match I would understand it more.

But we were playing a NSW cup side, their **** talking was the tactic to put us off because they weren't close to matching it talent wise.. Some of our players almost fell for it as well.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

League legend Peter Sterling slams Canberra Raiders Joey Leilua for 'disrespectful' act

Rugby league legend Peter Sterling has unleashed both barrels on Raiders match winner Joey Leilua for taunting Brett and Josh Morris after scoring the deciding try in Canberra's extraordinary come-from-behind win over the Bulldogs.

"14-all, the game is there to be won or lost. Now he goes close to scoring (in the 58th minute), tries to milk a penalty - just get up and play it, it wasn't the last tackle. Now on his way back he gives the ref a serve, so they get marched and (the Bulldogs) get a kick for touch. And from that the Bulldogs score.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/07/09/16/ ... oey-leilua
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

AUDIO: Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker says team got out of jail against Canterbury Bulldogs

Audio: http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/1/dT701y.mp3
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart has reportedly opened his team meeting today by giving Joey Leilua a piece of his mind over ugly incident

VETERAN league reporter Phil Rothfield has revealed Ricky Stuart used his team meeting on Monday to single out Joey Leilua over what he deemed to be poor sportsmanship at the weekend. After scoring the match-winner at Belmore, the pumped up Samoan international stood over Brett Morris and gave him a gobful.

“You know what, he opened the meeting with Joey Leilua’s behaviour at the end of the game. He said it’s not acceptable at this club, he doesn’t want to see him do it again this year.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f32cb767dc
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

#### I hate rothfield. Don't even care if he's right. What a ####
Long time creeper....... First time poster
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

If it wasn’t the Morris boys (who could be seen giving it to Joey along with Rhyse Martin) then nobody would blink an eye :lol:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

El_Capitano wrote: July 9, 2018, 6:53 pm
Although I 100% agree with this. My wife and I laughed for like 2 minutes at that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ricky Stuart :roflmao Secretly a master of irony... Doesn't want to see it again... Nekk minit opens video session by replaying it :roflmao
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

BJ is either rocks or diamonds. I have said in other years that I think he is 'uncoachable'. He is an emotion player. Once emotion takes over then thinking goes out the window. If he had simply celebrated with his team mates on the remarkable win then everyone would have spoken to him in glowing terms despite his shocking defensive effort.

There were times during the match he was out of position. He simply wasn't beside his winger in the defensive line. Once I saw Sezer in his position and the Dogs made the break and scored. BJ was far in field trying to jostle with a shoulder and the Dogs got a try because of it. Dumb. Once again sides poured down our defensive right. Emotion had got him (and us) again.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Seems like the club see BJ giving the Morris boys a bit of a serve is more serious than the Wighton incident...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: July 9, 2018, 9:00 pm Raiders should be better than that. That's not the Raiders way.
The Raiders way... what is that?
Is there some kind of document outlining what the Raiders way is?
Is is just under performing in an environment that lacks accountability from top to bottom? Is is whinging constantly about referees rather than address the real issues with performance? is it over paying middling talent? Is it poor bench usage and playing people way out of position?
Is it like taking lines in the sand over **** talk and backing unprovoked assault to the hills?

What is the Raiders way?!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Pigman wrote: July 10, 2018, 8:45 am
greeneyed wrote: July 9, 2018, 9:00 pm Raiders should be better than that. That's not the Raiders way.
Is is just under performing in an environment that lacks accountability from top to bottom? Is is whinging constantly about referees rather than address the real issues with performance? is it over paying middling talent? Is it poor bench usage and playing people way out of position?
Is it like taking lines in the sand over **** talk and backing unprovoked assault to the hills?

I can’t remember all the Raiders’ values off the top of my head... but I’m sure “respect” is one of them... for a start.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I don't like to see the Raiders carrying on like that but the point here is he was copping it off plenty of them first and rightly so because of his mistakes earlier in the 2nd half. Now if they're giving it to him telling him he cost them the game and whatnot when they were 14 up, they deserve to get it back. Like someone else said if it wasn't the meek Morris boys and instead it was Chambers or Dylan Walker then no one would care that much.

I don't mind if the coach reminds him to tone it down because clearly he gets swept up in the contest and loses control, but for the coach to single him out in front of everyone for it is actually laughable. Now i'm not laying the boot into Sticky because it's currently popular but we're talking about a guy who has a list of poor sportsmanship and getting carried away as long as your arm. He kicks chairs on the sideline every other week! The incident after the World Cup loss to NZ will forever be a black mark on his name and miles worse than this. Sure he might have changed his ways but to blast him in front of the group is hypocritical at it's best really.

As for Rothfield "one of the worst things i've ever seen on the footy field"...please! There would be 50 worse things this season alone for a start. Plus he's a Cronulla apologist, I bet my house you could find Cronulla players doing far worse things over the past few seasons in regards to mocking and sledging than what Joey did (let alone ripping at stitches, racist taunts etc). As soon as that bloated drunk gets out of the game the better, he's a biased knuckledragger.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That's the trouble, Woody
He hasnt changed his way, Stuart is as poor a sport as he's always been.

BJ would be right to stand up in that meeting and give him the Remember The Titans quote - "Attitude reflects leadership"
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: July 10, 2018, 9:18 am
Pigman wrote: July 10, 2018, 8:45 am

I can’t remember all the Raiders’ values off the top of my head... but I’m sure “respect” is one of them... for a start.
haha look i just always rally against this sort of stuff, all clubs do it "the raiders way" or whatever they call it.. it's all just **** coach speak they feed to players because they need to keep hearing their own voices.

The clubs and coaches go against their values all the time if it suits their agenda
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

BJ should have grabbed the two wooden spoons tucked in his sock and handed them to the Morris boys.

Look..BJ had a rough night. He'd been copping it pretty much all night through no fault but his own. His brainfart dumb plays gave the Dogs a very handy lead and they let him know it.

Emotion grabbed hold of him, he scored a try to win the unwinnable at Belmore in front of a bunch of supporters who were slagging him off as well.

I'm not too upset by his actions. A little over the top but meh....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: