18%

Total votes: 11

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: 2018 Rd 16 V Broncos: Game Day

Post by Dr Zaius »

BadnMean wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 30, 2018, 11:10 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 30, 2018, 10:33 pm Abbey looked really good in the first half. 2nd half he looked shot. Something happened and his confidence went down the toilet. A fairly good reflection of the team as a whole tonight.
I thought he looked to be struggling to catch his breath in the second half. Pace of the game would be a few notches up on his usual.
I thought his form changed when he took a catch and got belted- massive crunch to the neck/spine as his head was ducked as a chest crashed into him. I remember at the time thinking he looked like he should have got a HIA. But it was effectively a huge accidental crusher type impact on the neck. He never looked right after that and dropped the next ball that came his way.
And the Broncos crowd booed him for getting up slowly after that. Literally booed him. They are the **** worst.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: July 1, 2018, 7:55 am Me being a defensofile, I was particularly noticing Abbey's defence. There was a tackle he made right on our goal line late in the first half which stopped a try that I was impressed with. It was just before Croker put a shot on Jimmy the Jet. He got cleaned up by fellow Kiwi Alex Glenn about 15 minutes into the second half and it shook him for a while. But he is a FG rookie (5 games?) and I think a very good prospect for us. Good step. Ok speed. Willing to have a go. There were a couple of mishandles of bombs after the Glenn shot but I well remember Jack at the back doing the same as he was learning.

Just reading through the thread- I think that's the shot I was talking about. Saw it the same way.

Abbey was ok but I'd much rather see Rapana or Cotric at FB next year long term. Wighton to #6 if we can't buy Norman or a quality half.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I think Wighton at 6 as a running half is probably the way to go. Hodgson to take more of the kicking.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BadnMean wrote: July 1, 2018, 2:02 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 30, 2018, 11:10 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 30, 2018, 10:33 pm Abbey looked really good in the first half. 2nd half he looked shot. Something happened and his confidence went down the toilet. A fairly good reflection of the team as a whole tonight.
I thought he looked to be struggling to catch his breath in the second half. Pace of the game would be a few notches up on his usual.
I thought his form changed when he took a catch and got belted- massive crunch to the neck/spine as his head was ducked as a chest crashed into him. I remember at the time thinking he looked like he should have got a HIA. But it was effectively a huge accidental crusher type impact on the neck. He never looked right after that and dropped the next ball that came his way.
Didn't notice that so could well have been it. He definitely looked to be on weaker legs that second half.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Timbo wrote: July 1, 2018, 2:37 pm I think Wighton at 6 as a running half is probably the way to go. Hodgson to take more of the kicking.
I agree. The problem is just Sezer's horrible kicking game. Williams and Wighton would compliment each other much better on attack IMO. With no Austin would we be able to hide Williams in the line? I doubt it as we're terrible in covering our defensive flaws.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 1, 2018, 2:54 pm
Timbo wrote: July 1, 2018, 2:37 pm I think Wighton at 6 as a running half is probably the way to go. Hodgson to take more of the kicking.
I agree. The problem is just Sezer's horrible kicking game. Williams and Wighton would compliment each other much better on attack IMO. With no Austin would we be able to hide Williams in the line? I doubt it as we're terrible in covering our defensive flaws.b
Yeah I can see that, but Williams as a long term fix just creates a whole new set of problems. It’d also mean we have no long kicking game at all.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

It doesn't matter what players are bought or which position players are select in, Ricky will cruel it. He has to go. Good summation of the game by Dan at Sportress. Asks questions that we would all like answered: https://sportress.wordpress.com/2018/07 ... itability/
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I agree. The problem is just Sezer's horrible kicking game.
?!?

I actually thought Sezer's kicking game was pretty good last night.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

The non use of Knight was staggering. Not the 1st time he's done it either. He must've just forgot about him. It's the only logical explanation
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Hard to believe but Stuart is actually getting worse.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

raiderskater wrote: July 1, 2018, 3:29 pm
?!?

You think every thing Sezer does is good. He could literally kneel down, tie up his shoe lace, only for you to quickly interject in the game day thread to say 'OH GREAT WORK SEZER, BRILLIANT!!!'.

**** nut hugger extraordinaire.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

?!?

May have been okay yesterday but I think in general it's all over the place. Very inconsistent.
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

When tapine went off for hia there was footage of Ricky talking to knight as if he was giving him direction to come on (or telling him he wasnt playing) he must of forgot after that
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Green Taipan wrote: July 1, 2018, 9:41 am
Archer wrote: June 30, 2018, 10:41 pm Can't wait for 2019, at least it won't be 2018. Plus we'll have doubled our poms and they seem to be the guys consistent so I've already settled on my new reason for being optimistic. We'll be a completely different team who has a mobile pack that promote the ball, get a lot of second phase for our dangerous backs to be on the end of and most importantly defend like demons, actually holding teams to 0. I can see it now...
I like your optimism but the dark cloud hovering over next year's team is this year's coach. Ricky has the unique ability to kill talent and enthusiasm in all his players with the exception of Hogdson.
Cant wait for 2019, at least it will not be 2018. :roflmao
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Grün Maschine wrote: July 1, 2018, 4:56 pm When tapine went off for hia there was footage of Ricky talking to knight as if he was giving him direction to come on (or telling him he wasnt playing) he must of forgot after that
I saw Knight running down the sideline as well.

Ricky sent him for a large latte with two sweetners..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Liam Knight Supercoach update: he has been downgraded to 0 points.
creevy
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: chris osullivan

Post by creevy »

Have finally worked out how to follow the Raiders and deal with the results.Had $50 on the Raiders at $2.30 with sportsbet, leading by 12, they pay out. Beautiful, up $65, rang at half time and had $50 on the Broncos to win at $4.50.Thanks guy's, a profit of $230. It helps to know your teams limitations. Jack gets paid, I get paid, all good.
Gerry De La Cruz
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Well at least someone is learning from the Raiders mistakes. Nice work creevy.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

After last night there is a fair gap between us in 9th and the Broncos in 8th. History would suggest that the Top 8 at this point isn't the final Top 8. There'd have to be some extraordinary changes in form for that Top 8 to change however.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

-GD- wrote:Liam Knight Supercoach update: he has been downgraded to 0 points.
Emptied the tank
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2018 Rd 16 V Broncos: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

Just listened to the presser. Would it Kill Croker to show some passion and disappointment about the performance last night? Like come on, we just lost our chance of making the top 8! He infuriated me just as much as Stuart’s comments saying “it’s not mental”. Instead Croker just commented on how good the team rallied behind Abbey and mention nothing really in regards to the loss.

We know Stuart’s a lost cause, but it would be good to see our Captain come in filthy about a loss for a change!

At least Papilii showed some passion in his full time interview on Fox Sports. Papa called it as he saw it and you could see he was pissed off!

Finally if not being able to defend an error isn’t mental, I don’t know what is...

I hate our leadership and management at the moment. Just hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

Think you're expecting a bit much from a presser. I don't even bother watching them for exactly that reason.

I think in general the players are lacking passion and committment - few exceptions of course and people show it differently I know.
Have a look at Hoffman at the Storm and the play he pulled off on the charge down - there's a committed football player. We seem to be lacking in that department.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2018 Rd 16 V Broncos: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

Sun Coast Raider wrote:Think you're expecting a bit much from a presser. I don't even bother watching them for exactly that reason.

I think in general the players are lacking passion and committment - few exceptions of course and people show it differently I know.
Have a look at Hoffman at the Storm and the play he pulled off on the charge down - there's a committed football player. We seem to be lacking in that department.
Yeah Hoffman is an old war horse. Team first, body second!

And maybe your right, I shouldn’t watch the pressers

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Croker sometimes looks like a school kid sitting next to their principal. Very carefully watching what he says after the customary hand over the face before his first response. This is the reason the journos rarely ask him more than question. Speak from the heart Toots. You'll be here longer than Stuart will.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

The first thing that has to be said about this game is that the Broncs were dreadful. Honestly they're a poor side, and they were beyond awful in the first half. This game should have been well and truly over when the teams went to the sheds for the break.

The next point that's inescapable is how easily they were able to get back into the contest. If you hold a decent amount of footy and structure your play to attack our right edge defence then you beat us, it really is that simple. It has been for a year and half now, with no signs of improvement.

I can understand the criticism of Croker as a captain. I'm a fan of his, but his body language is horrendous. It's obvious that we need a change of coach, and it's increasingly hard not to feel that some changes within the leadership groups of players may be necessary also. That said, I don't go along at all with the criticism of his as a player. Our left side is vastly superior to its equivalent on the right both with and without the footy - Messrs Austin and Leilua head the list of players who should start looking up the directions to Mounties for next weekend. Crokes is no world beater, but he's a very strong performer week in, week out in the NRL.

Lastly, it was a massive shame to see Oldfield and Abbey make late errors. I thought they both filled in admirably, hopefully they keep theirs chins up for the games to come.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

afgtnk wrote: July 1, 2018, 3:56 pm
?!?

You think every thing Sezer does is good. He could literally kneel down, tie up his shoe lace, only for you to quickly interject in the game day thread to say 'OH GREAT WORK SEZER, BRILLIANT!!!'.

**** nut hugger extraordinaire.
And you think every thing Sezer does it bad. He could literally single-handedly win us a premiership and you'd still be in here banging on about how **** he is.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

..... except that he's actually crap, something which the vast majority of ours fans have now realised, and he will never, ever lead any first grade team to a premiership - let alone us.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

afgtnk wrote: July 2, 2018, 8:32 am ..... except that he's actually crap, something which the vast majority of ours fans have now realised, and he will never, ever lead any first grade team to a premiership - let alone us.
He is average at best but he's still much better than any of our alternatives.
Foordy
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Foordy »

Green thumbs wrote: June 30, 2018, 10:05 pm One man is happy and that’s Sutton - his record is nicely intact - is it 12 games straight to the Donkeys at Suncorp that he has reffed?
Mate, you have the wrong Sutton ... Chris was the ref on Saturday, not Gerard ...

and you certainly can't blame him for your boys not putting us away