Blake Austin signs with Warrington Wolves

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Blake Austin linked to Eels and Rhinos

Post by Billy Walker »

It's a funny dance between clubs and player managers where things are played out through the media in a series of stories that may or may not have any basis to them. I understand why it happens but almost feel it is a little disrespectful to the supporters in a way.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Blake Austin set to leave Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

Blake Austin set to leave Canberra Raiders at end of season

The Canberra Raiders have moved on from Blake Austin, with recruitment boss Peter Mulholland revealing the 2015 NRL five-eighth of the year looks likely to leave at the end of the season.

"At this stage probably not I'd say. We're just looking at options," Peter Mulholland said. "Blake had an offer on the table last year and he rejected that offer, and as in the game you've got to move on and unfortunately he didn't take the offer up last year and we've moved on, basically.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4znal.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Raiders can't afford Norman's $900,000 wage for next year, while Mulholland said they had Sam Williams and Ata Hingano as options on their books to help replace Austin.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4znal.html

So we’re in for a whole world of pain.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: June 23, 2018, 6:08 pm The Raiders can't afford Norman's $900,000 wage for next year, while Mulholland said they had Sam Williams and Ata Hingano as options on their books to help replace Austin.

In fairness all three have a very similar ineffective defensive style.
Velda
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Velda »

That is very concerning, we will not win a comp with either Hingano or Williams as a starting half 🙁
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Austin Set To Leave The Raiders

Post by KasparRaider »

And no plan or strategy to replace him. We will just muddle on.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/blake- ... 4znal.html
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Blake Austin linked to Eels and Rhinos

Post by bonehead »

dubby wrote:Boney, it came down to contract length. We offered 2 years, titans 4. Oh course he's going to take the longer deal.
He'll be 31 when that ends, and potentially his last deal.
that's not what I'm talking about, cat asked who saw a bidding war for Boyd coming, imo Boyd is a fairly rare type of nrl commodity so yes we all should've known he would be in demand. All my league watching mates have said for the past 2yrs they'd love him at their club.
Whether you are willing to pay his market rate or not is a completely different discussion.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Austin Set To Leave The Raiders

Post by bonehead »

maybe we plan on JBateman at 6 with enough ball playing at 1, 7 and 9 or wighton back to 6 and cotric at 1

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: June 23, 2018, 6:18 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 23, 2018, 6:08 pm The Raiders can't afford Norman's $900,000 wage for next year, while Mulholland said they had Sam Williams and Ata Hingano as options on their books to help replace Austin.

In fairness all three have a very similar ineffective defensive style.
Plus, unfortunately, Hingano offers nothing in attack either. At least Williams is a good kicker and organiser and Austin is a good runner.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

O'hagan

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I really hope the comments on Williams and Hingano are a smokes and mirrors trick while we are in negotiations with another half.

We will have lost 2 starting high $ props, and a five eighth who's current contract and value was signed when he was the reigning 5/8 of the year. That should have floated AT MIMIMUM $1.5 mill.

If in some twisted reality of raiders EDIT we have managed to both offer them all contracts for next year AND now not have cap room to replace any of them, we are right there with the Doggies as having the most horrendously managed cap in league history.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It’s a salary cap debacle if so.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

They'd have to be bluffing.
HAVE to be.

Sack everyone if not. Furner, Mulholland and Stuart should be put in stocks for the towns people to pelt with rotten fruit if this isnt some media games to get Norman to bring his price down
Last edited by Botman on June 23, 2018, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: June 23, 2018, 7:11 pm It’s a salary cap debacle if so.
And on top of the salary cap considerations, if we had seriously taken the stance that's Austin is not here next year and Sammy and Ata will fill the gap, one of them should be playing now.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I've said it a few times.
Our management are utterly incompetent and have completely stuffed the cap. Simple.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Strange that Austin’s manager would go knocking on souffs door when they have Reynolds, Walker and Douihi locked up
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

I’d like to see Hingano get an extended run in the halves.

It’d be unfair to judge him on his effort in 1sr grade at 14.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Sid wrote:Strange that Austin’s manager would go knocking on souffs door when they have Reynolds, Walker and Douihi locked up
I imagine he's making a lot of phone calls right now.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I think Sezer and Wighton with Cotric at fullback is a better option than Hingano, Williams or Austin playing #6.

I'd much rather we wait until the right half comes along than throw buckets at Norman. Norman is 27, has 150 FG games and still lacks consistency. Not worth what he'd cost us.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dusty wrote: June 23, 2018, 8:41 pm I’d like to see Hingano get an extended run in the halves.

I have absolutely zero idea if Hingano is any good, the overwhelming odds are that he's probably not the answer. But 1000000% agree that it's ridiculous the criticism he's getting as a young player who's spent his entire career at this club completely out of position.

He's probably ****. 99.9999% of the population are **** halves, he's likely one of them, but i dont feel like our fan base is being very fair to the kid. If we stuck Nick Cotric in the halves and he was **** i feel like we wouldnt be this harsh on him.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Green eyed Mick wrote: June 23, 2018, 8:49 pm I think Sezer and Wighton with Cotric at fullback is a better option than Hingano, Williams or Austin playing #6.

I'd much rather we wait until the right half comes along than throw buckets at Norman. Norman is 27, has 150 FG games and still lacks consistency. Not worth what he'd cost us.
Yeah i think i agree with this
Norman is better than Williams or Hingano, and probably better than the mooted line up... but the cost is really something

if the club is certain they are moving on from Blake Austin, given this season is a total lost cause (Even IF we rallied and scraped into the 8, there is ZERO chance we win the comp) i think they'd be negligent not at least trial Sezer/Wighton with Cotric at fullback, just to know what that looks like
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Green eyed Mick wrote:I think Sezer and Wighton with Cotric at fullback is a better option than Hingano, Williams or Austin playing #6.

I'll have one of these.
Pigman wrote:
Dusty wrote: June 23, 2018, 8:41 pm I’d like to see Hingano get an extended run in the halves.

I have absolutely zero idea if Hingano is any good, the overwhelming odds are that he's probably not the answer. But 1000000% agree that it's ridiculous the criticism he's getting as a young player who's spent his entire career at this club completely out of position.

He's probably ****. 99.9999% of the population are **** halves, he's likely one of them, but i dont feel like our fan base is being very fair to the kid. If we stuck Nick Cotric in the halves and he was **** i feel like we wouldnt be this harsh on him.
And one of these.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

T_R wrote: June 23, 2018, 7:15 pm I've said it a few times.
Our management are utterly incompetent and have completely stuffed the cap. Simple.

Nope it's all a bluff. This is year 21 of a long con and rest of the NRL are going to look so stupid when we reveal our hand.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

reptar wrote:
Sid wrote:Strange that Austin’s manager would go knocking on souffs door when they have Reynolds, Walker and Douihi locked up
I believe it's something like this:

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

They’ve definitely got someone in mind. They’re not moving on from Austin with no replacement player at all.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

-TW- wrote:
reptar wrote:
I believe it's something like this:

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

How did Hingano fair last night ?

I agree it's unfair to write off a bloke who's been playing out of position.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

T_R wrote: June 23, 2018, 7:15 pm I've said it a few times.

I agree we've clearly made mistakes. But if we're being honest we're not the first club to get this wrong. What's incredible about our situation is the way our management are attempting to address the problem. It appears they're attempting to get us out of this mess by resigning some of our existing overpaid talent on MORE money. Where's the logic in that. I don't know how we can be in this position with the squad we have but it's clear as day that some players need to be moved on. What appears to be happening however is that players have left, we've upgraded our offers to other players to keep them, and we're now at the point where we CAN'T (despite wanting to) retain other overpaid players. It's beyond stupid, it's insane
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

We've (likely) missed the 8 two years in a row, signed no regular first graders for 2.5 years and are about to lose 3 of our highest profile starters. It takes serious effort to run out of money in those circumstances.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Pigman wrote:

I think based on what he’s shown and his errors there’s really not a lot of point. Playing out of position doesn’t make you drop the ball. He’s also had some games at Mounties in the halves that have been reported as poor right?

Playing out of position I would still expect Cotric to display infinitely more than Hingano has this year. I was excited when he signed based on his Warriors game against us, but it seems like he just had a pearler of a day and the Raiders did that thing of making an average player look a star.

Even out of position I struggle to think of a single positive contribution from him this year... no way that happens with Cotric or a first grade half imo
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

I’ve seen Hingano play halves at Warriors and Mounties with a short cameo for the Raiders. Been totally underwhelmed by what I saw. I will also confidently say he’s not an option at hooker or wing.
I don’t see Sam Williams as permanent NRL level half having watched him play for many years, but I’d still take him over Hingano.

If there’s is nobody on the market who’s going to provide an upgrade I’m happy for the club to keep the powder dry in 2018. Have a war chest for recruitment when the right player comes available.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: June 24, 2018, 6:42 am How did Hingano fair last night ?

I agree it's unfair to write off a bloke who's been playing out of position.
He was ok, though he didnt have to do much as the Tongan forwards bashed their way down field easily. Scored a try. Got injured in the 2nd half. Went off, then Samoa came back.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Williams will be Sezers partner should no one else be found. Id be ok with this, but id be expecting fringe 8 at best too.

The only reason not to bag a half this yr, is to have a war chest for the few coming off contract in 2019.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I feel like if Williams was seen as the option he never would've got dropped.

O'Hagen is apparently moving into the first grade squad, they may accelerate his development with Bambling not working out.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

edwahu wrote: June 24, 2018, 9:12 am I feel like if Williams was seen as the option he never would've got dropped.

O'Hagen is apparently moving into the first grade squad, they may accelerate his development with Bambling not working out.
Did Williams get dropped? I thought he got injured which led to Austin's recall. Since his return Sticky has stayed with the Sezer/Austin combo.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.