Blake Austin signs with Warrington Wolves

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Blake Austin set to leave Raiders

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: July 8, 2018, 6:57 pm Austin's lost us more games in the last 2 seasons than any other player. One 15 minute blitzkrieg against the Bulldogs doesnt change much

What it does do is make me sad. As Blake Austin showed last night and has showed in a number of games, he's a hell of a player at his peak. That 15 minutes is why i was so excited to get him a few years ago, i thought that was going to be the player he was... but he's just never really found the consistency and if he's not going to be consistently scoring and laying on tries, he cant be leaking them at the rate he has in the last 18 months
TESTIFY!!!
kiwi raider wrote: July 9, 2018, 2:13 pm He’s probably more suited to the fullback role but I really don’t think he has the fitness or durability to play fullback full time in the nrl. Regardless we have better options at fullback already in the squad playing on the wings as well as Wighton. Austin’s cost us a heap of Games over the last two years, 15minutes off the bench against pretty much a reserve grade sign doesn’t change the fact that he’s not the right option as a first choice half for us.
I agree Kiwi.
His strengths make him a good 5/8 or modern fullback.
His weakness leads him to be better suited to fullback.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Matt wrote: July 9, 2018, 9:03 am
Love4Noa wrote: July 8, 2018, 2:46 pm Blake Austin should be re-signed to the club for one reason only.

He is a better player and a bigger threat than Aidan Sezer.

This club is going nowhere why that horrible excuse for a first grader plays for us.

Austin isn't amazing - but he's better than the other guy.

Stupidity at it's highest level. Furner and co need to go.
He isn't better than the other guy L4N.

Read this...
Who am I?
I have played 13 games in 2018.
I have scored 4 tries.
I have 7 try assist.
9 line breaks.
9 line break assists.
9 offloads.
35 tackle busts.
Ive run for 810m.
I've made 13 errors.
I have a 77% tackle efficiency rating.
I have missed 31 tackles.
I have 14 try causes (which means every 2nd miss is a try BTW) and finally 16 line break causes.

Now... 26pts were score on his edge vs the Broncos.

There are lots of games missing in the middle, but here is another post I’ve made this yr about our edge defense.

Where tries are scored against us:
Titans
Proctor = left
Elgey = right
Sami = right
Copley = right
Hurrell = middle

Knights
Guerra = left
Fitz = right
Moga = right
Watson = right
Mata'utai = left

Warriors
Hiku = right
Harris = left
Luke = middle

7 on our right edge. (Williams)
4 on our left edge. (Austin)

Of the right edge tries:
1 was Sami scoring in the corner for the Titans.

TBF the Knights went right because of a reshuffled centre and backrower though, as BJ got injured early.

2 of the right side tries were kicks too - Watto and Elgey.

Of the left edge tries:
3 of the 4 tries are backrowers being isolated on Austin who makes a bad read. Mata'utai is the 4th and he got a gimme by Austin racing up on Pearce.

Where did Warriors have their biggest yardage gains prior to both field goals?!? U guessed it, through Austins channel.

Now… I don’t want to sound like Im not showing both sides of the story, so here are Sezer's numbers this yr:
I have played 16 games in 2018.
I spent 4 of those at hooker.
I have scored 1 tries.
I have 9 try assist.
1 line breaks.
6 line break assists.
4 offloads.
10 tackle busts.
Ive run for 299m.
Ive 2951 kick meters.
Ive got 10 forced line dropouts.
I've made 19 errors.
I have a 83% tackle efficiency rating.
I have missed 38 tackles.
I have 7 try causes and finally 4 line break causes.

As a final thought, Id love to put a wins vs losses stat up in 2018 for both players. However, I cant. I can remember Sezer kicking a FG to win us one. So that cancels out Austin the other night. I have listed 4 games where Austin was a major contributor to losses. Those are just the ones I've already written about. Soooo... Id say the ledger isn't in Austin's favour. Given defence is half the game, and his attack isn't twice as good, he isn't worth it.
Settle down Matt, crack a stubby....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I was seriously bored at work today. Had the time to look
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Matt wrote: July 9, 2018, 9:03 am
Love4Noa wrote: July 8, 2018, 2:46 pm Blake Austin should be re-signed to the club for one reason only.

He is a better player and a bigger threat than Aidan Sezer.

This club is going nowhere why that horrible excuse for a first grader plays for us.

Austin isn't amazing - but he's better than the other guy.

Stupidity at it's highest level. Furner and co need to go.
He isn't better than the other guy L4N.

Read this...
Who am I?
I have played 13 games in 2018.
I have scored 4 tries.
I have 7 try assist.
9 line breaks.
9 line break assists.
9 offloads.
35 tackle busts.
Ive run for 810m.
I've made 13 errors.
I have a 77% tackle efficiency rating.
I have missed 31 tackles.
I have 14 try causes (which means every 2nd miss is a try BTW) and finally 16 line break causes.

Now... 26pts were score on his edge vs the Broncos.

There are lots of games missing in the middle, but here is another post I’ve made this yr about our edge defense.

Where tries are scored against us:
Titans
Proctor = left
Elgey = right
Sami = right
Copley = right
Hurrell = middle

Knights
Guerra = left
Fitz = right
Moga = right
Watson = right
Mata'utai = left

Warriors
Hiku = right
Harris = left
Luke = middle

7 on our right edge. (Williams)
4 on our left edge. (Austin)

Of the right edge tries:
1 was Sami scoring in the corner for the Titans.

TBF the Knights went right because of a reshuffled centre and backrower though, as BJ got injured early.

2 of the right side tries were kicks too - Watto and Elgey.

Of the left edge tries:
3 of the 4 tries are backrowers being isolated on Austin who makes a bad read. Mata'utai is the 4th and he got a gimme by Austin racing up on Pearce.

Where did Warriors have their biggest yardage gains prior to both field goals?!? U guessed it, through Austins channel.

Now… I don’t want to sound like Im not showing both sides of the story, so here are Sezer's numbers this yr:
I have played 16 games in 2018.
I spent 4 of those at hooker.
I have scored 1 tries.
I have 9 try assist.
1 line breaks.
6 line break assists.
4 offloads.
10 tackle busts.
Ive run for 299m.
Ive 2951 kick meters.
Ive got 10 forced line dropouts.
I've made 19 errors.
I have a 83% tackle efficiency rating.
I have missed 38 tackles.
I have 7 try causes and finally 4 line break causes.

As a final thought, Id love to put a wins vs losses stat up in 2018 for both players. However, I cant. I can remember Sezer kicking a FG to win us one. So that cancels out Austin the other night. I have listed 4 games where Austin was a major contributor to losses. Those are just the ones I've already written about. Soooo... Id say the ledger isn't in Austin's favour. Given defence is half the game, and his attack isn't twice as good, he isn't worth it.
Quite fortunately I know you, so I can safely say that's the most pathetic use of 'statistics' to support anything you've ever said on here.

Who's a game winner? Sezer or Austin?
Who's going to break the line? Sezer or Austin?
Who's going to come on and win the game in the last 15? Sezer or Austin?

Why aren't you applying a blow torch to that side of defence that includes Soliola and Leilua? Who are players sliding past to get to Austin? Soliola. Every time. He's a snail.

Mate, use your blinkered vision all you like - but in terms of understanding what's happening around him - you can't hang one bloke out to dry.

Sezer will not get your team into the top 8, let alone top 4.

Austin wins matches. It's that simple.

But hey if you want to just play safe and compete for the bottom 8, you go right ahead and let Austin go.

Have we got a replacement? Nup.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@love4noa,
Unfortunately last wk was the 1st game Austin has won off his own bat for the best part of a yr. As i mentioned, Sezer has at least 1 of his own too.

Neither of our halves are very good. But i know that Sezer will lose us fewer games, because he can defend and tackle, even if he cant win us more.

As for the blow torch on others, i regularly bag BJs defense, and his dumb errors.

Ive also said on numerous occasions that Sia cant play on the edge any more because he is running on a tredmill. In fact, coming into this season i didnt think he had another yr in him.

Ive bagged Jr for being fat and lazy too.

Because u know me, and how fanatical i am, im surprised you dont have a better grasp on my feelings towards players in this side.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Love4Noa wrote: July 9, 2018, 7:25 pm
Quite fortunately I know you, so I can safely say that's the most pathetic use of 'statistics' to support anything you've ever said on here.

Who's a game winner? Sezer or Austin?
Who's going to break the line? Sezer or Austin?
Who's going to come on and win the game in the last 15? Sezer or Austin?

Why aren't you applying a blow torch to that side of defence that includes Soliola and Leilua? Who are players sliding past to get to Austin? Soliola. Every time. He's a snail.

Mate, use your blinkered vision all you like - but in terms of understanding what's happening around him - you can't hang one bloke out to dry.

Sezer will not get your team into the top 8, let alone top 4.

Austin wins matches. It's that simple.

But hey if you want to just play safe and compete for the bottom 8, you go right ahead and let Austin go.

Have we got a replacement? Nup.
hardly blame those defending on either side of austin when he is 4m out infront of the others.
Austin hasn't been a match winner since 2015.
the only way in the last two seasons he has stamped himself on a game, is by losing them like last week.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Also, Ricky has dropped him once, and demoted him a second time this yr because of his performance. Being benched last week had more to do with Papa, Rapa and Bateman being unavaliable than keeping him in FG. Ricky needed a utility with Havili starting at lock, and given Garvey ran over his cat, Austin got the job by default.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

So it’s official.... Blake Austin to the Warrington Wolves.

I am a little sad to see him go, but at the same time I think the club has done the right thing and been lucky Blake knocked back the $700K a year contract originally offered.

I hope we can use that money to strengthen the squad and not just top up existing players salaries.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

So that’s Austin, Junior and Boyd all gone. All we have done is purchased a Super League fringe forward.
I hope we something up our sleeve cause it’s looking very bleak for next season.

In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Blake Austin signs with Warrington Wolves

Post by greeneyed »

Blake Austin to depart Raiders at end of 2018

Canberra Raiders five-eighth Blake Austin will depart the club at the end of the 2018 season to take up an opportunity with Super League Club Warrington.

"I'd like to thank Ricky, Don and the club for presenting me and my family with the opportunities they have over the past four years," Austin said. "Thanks to my team mates and the Canberra members and fans for embracing me as one of their own. I hope to be remembered as a guy that gave his all in green.

"I look forward to playing the best footy I can for the remainder of the 2018 season."

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/07 ... d-of-2018/

Wire capture marquee signing Austin

Warrington Wolves are delighted to announce the signing of NRL stand-off Blake Austin on a three-year deal as of 2019.

Head coach Steve Price said: “I’ve watched Blake closely for a number of years over in the NRL and he’s a guy who, when you come to review the opposition, your game plan heavily revolves around which says a lot about the type of player he is. He has an outstanding running game and is always a threat with the ball in his hand. He’s a big body so hard to handle with electric footwork. I feel he is going to be a quality signing for our club and I’m excited to be able to work with Blake next year.

“He had a really good break-out year in 2015 when he was five eighth of the year and in 2016 he led the majority of attacking stats in the NRL. When I was fortunate to be assistant coach alongside Shane Flanagan at Cronulla Sharks for the semi final down at Canberra, we heavily revolved our game plan around Blake as he’s certainly an excitement machine.

“This is a massive coup for our club as a number of clubs were in for him in both the UK and Australia which says a lot about the quality of player he is; to have that much interest. We are always on the lookout for quality personnel and so this is a great coup for our club to get Blake over the line.”

Austin added: “I’m really excited to be joining the Warrington Wolves. No-one I’ve spoken to has had a bad word to say about the club. I’m stoked I get the chance to come over in what I believe can be the best years of my footy career, and not a cameo at the tail end of my career. My partner and I have always wanted to experience England and the Super League, and can’t wait to embrace the Wolves and everything Warrington has to offer.

“I look forward to working with Pricey and all the boys, with the goal of delivering silverware to the club.”

Club chief executive Karl Fitzpatrick said: “We want more superstars in Super League, this marquee signing brings us one. Blake’s a proven match winner and an exceptional talent. Just at the weekend he single-handedly won the game for Canberra. To sign a player of Blake’s quality, in the prime of his career, who was in such demand in the NRL is a boost for the whole of the Super League competition. The deal happened relatively quickly, this shows his willingness to come to the UK and his desire to be part of this great club.”

Read more at https://warringtonwolves.com/wire-captu ... JZEWeb6.99

Warrington seal deal for Canberra's Austin: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zqie.html
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Blake will do very well in England.

I think it is the right decision for everyone but like always it is sad to see a player leave.
Arnie
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Arnie »

I feel bad for him. He's a good bloke. But a good decision in the end.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Should be a star there
Arnie
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Arnie »

Not a bad Halves pairing with Tyrone Roberts if he stays
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Arnie wrote:Not a bad Halves pairing with Tyrone Roberts if he stays
not staying apparently

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Arnie wrote: July 10, 2018, 8:49 am I feel bad for him. He's a good bloke. But a good decision in the end.
Blake and his manager played the game. He was offered a very good deal by the Raiders and he chose to roll the dice and prove that he was worth more. Of course that is his choice.

In the meantime some holes in his game were shown up and his value decreased to the point that neither the Raiders or anyone else in the NRL was willing to pay the money that was previously on offer.

Now the best deal he can get is in England.

This is exactly how the process works.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Shame to see him head off but it's the right way to go, in the end for both club and player.
There's a number of great highlights from his time here. I'll never forget Kurt Gidley's knee caps exploding out of his body when Blake stepped back off his left. Poor Kurt is still trying to pick up the pieces.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Bay53 wrote:
Arnie wrote: July 10, 2018, 8:49 am I feel bad for him. He's a good bloke. But a good decision in the end.
Blake and his manager played the game. He was offered a very good deal by the Raiders and he chose to roll the dice and prove that he was worth more. Of course that is his choice.

In the meantime some holes in his game were shown up and his value decreased to the point that neither the Raiders or anyone else in the NRL was willing to pay the money that was previously on offer.

Now the best deal he can get is in England.

This is exactly how the process works.
Yeah it’s hard to feel sorry for him, seems like they just tried to squeeze to much juice out of the orange.

Nicky Boi!!!!
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Wishing Blake all the best, and hoping he’ll kill it over there. Those 15 minutes of madness on the weekend were great viewing and a snapshot into what he’s capable of, ball in hand.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see him back in the NRL in a couple of years.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Lets hope he is like Boyd and wants to 'Empty the Tank' until the season is over :lol:
Perth Based Raiders Fan
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Good luck to him. He produced plenty of good memories.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

"Head coach Steve Price said: “I’ve watched Blake closely for a number of years over in the NRL and he’s a guy who, when you come to review the opposition, your game plan heavily revolves around which says a lot about the type of player he is."

This would be very true, it just that the opposition review is spending more time on how to attack his weakness than defend his strengths. If I am building a team to challenge for a premiership I want a team that will average less than 17 points a game during the season. Unfortunately Austin doesn't fit very well into such a team.

Watching him on Saturday night spending almost the whole time on his own either pacing up and down the sideline or alone on the bike. I can't help but think his personality is to much around himself to be truly part of the team.

I wish him all the best in the UK and hope he kills it.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Have a safe journey Break...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

How will he be remembered here?

So much hope after his first season. But just turned into the millionth false dawn we've had since 1994.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Timbo wrote:How will he be remembered here?

So much hope after his first season. But just turned into the millionth false dawn we've had since 1994.
The bloke who destroyed it in a team that came 10th, and then couldn't tackle
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

kona_dream wrote:"Head coach Steve Price said: “I’ve watched Blake closely for a number of years over in the NRL and he’s a guy who, when you come to review the opposition, your game plan heavily revolves around which says a lot about the type of player he is."

This would be very true, it just that the opposition review is spending more time on how to attack his weakness than defend his strengths. If I am building a team to challenge for a premiership I want a team that will average less than 17 points a game during the season. Unfortunately Austin doesn't fit very well into such a team.

Watching him on Saturday night spending almost the whole time on his own either pacing up and down the sideline or alone on the bike. I can't help but think his personality is to much around himself to be truly part of the team.

I wish him all the best in the UK and hope he kills it.
Thats the problem with blake, always has been.

Doesn't buy into the whole "brotherhood " stuff. Prefers to travel up to games with his family then on the team bus, doesnt do the whole golf thing etc. Its little things like that that stop him being close with the boys in the way others are.

Parra must be a mess if he chose England though, surprised to see him move 4 kids and his wife all the way over and away from his/her family

Vaccinated
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Timbo wrote: July 10, 2018, 2:41 pm How will he be remembered here?

Here as in the GH? I guarantee that this time next year someone will be saying how we really miss him every time we lose. Then most people will remember him as rubbish, as this place tends to only remember how any player post the year 2000 finished their careers in green, and anyone pre that never had a bad season.

In general I think Raiders fans will remember him fondly, he is the type of player that sticks in your memory for the right reasons. Same goes for someone like BJ.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

All the best Blake. You gave us some very good, and bad, memories.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders Blake Austin opens up on Warrington Wolves move

Blake Austin has opened up on his decision to leave the Raiders at the end of the 2018 season whilst mingling with Members and fans at the Raiders signing session at ActewAGL this afternoon.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/07 ... lves-move/
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

I’ve been a critic of Austin for quite some time but I will remember him as a player that gave this club some of the best publicity it has had OFF the field.

Thanks for your service Blake. All the best.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Totally understand why the club chose not to go with Blake but I will choose to remember the amazing highs rather than the frustrating lows.

Good luck in England, Austo. Short odds for Man of Steel in my books.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I wouldn't be surprised to see him over there for a year or 2 and then come back to Parra

He'll end up dominating that comp and they'll come knocking with the $$ he was after
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

-TW- wrote: July 10, 2018, 9:55 pm I wouldn't be surprised to see him over there for a year or 2 and then come back to Parra

He'll end up dominating that comp and they'll come knocking with the $$ he was after
Ricky's new recruitment plan seems to be release then sign back 12 months later so I expect him to be back here for 2020.

On a side note Austin came here as utility trying to shake off that tag and will most likely finish his time here in the same role..
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Injuries didn't help, but my goodness I would have thought his defence should have improved over the last couple of seasons.

All the best with the move Blake. It was awesome to see you at your best here with the Raiders.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I find it quite remarkable that he has a family of 4 and he had an offer to go to Parramatta where all his family support is and it’s the club he grew up supporting as a kid only to knock them back and move his whole family to England over a conversation with Price.
They guy must be a good talker.

In Ricky We Trust